General US Politics

Ansem

>Florida

Why are you the way you are

EDIT: So, to move on to another topic that's very relevant in the world nowadays: climate change and stuff.

There is wildfire smoke from the northern part of the state lingering around in my southern area of the state. It's pretty fucking bad. Apparently, this is not from the fires near us. The sky outside is fucking gray.

Edited by Sunwoo

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is what I mean about stuff over there can affect us. If that smoke moves further south then it will be all over us.

Over here it's also gray, but from a passing storm thankfully. Provoked quite the jump scare with the thunder sounding so close and loud. We had a storm barely a month ago. This is a desert, but if storms are actually starting to get more common...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And this is what I mean about stuff over there can affect us. If that smoke moves further south then it will be all over us.

Over here it's also gray, but from a passing storm thankfully. Provoked quite the jump scare with the thunder sounding so close and loud. We had a storm barely a month ago. This is a desert, but if storms are actually starting to get more common...

I wish we could get a little more rain where I am right now. This summer has felt hotter and longer than it usually does, and I fear we're going to be in a drought again if we don't get some form of precipitation in the winter.

20 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's times like these where I'm glad that I never made an commitment towards studying medicine; especially since this is exactly how pathogens spread, in the first place.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jan-select-committee-sends-subpoenas-trump-aides-advisers/story?id=80199124

Let's see if they're actually enforced.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/arizona-audit-election-fraud-trump_n_614dc42ae4b03dd7280a18ef

Hilariously, for all the cries of fraud, the audit ended up stating Trump got even less votes than previous counted. Of course, they're already quick to try to deflect by starting another audit in Texas, in four counties in which Democrats won in three of them. Of course, it's all about keeping the base riled up and discredit the democratic process, not actually change the results.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/biden-will-allow-jan-6-investigators-access-trump-records-white-n1280059

A big step for the investigation.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Yet I see people commenting this time it may cause a default on the debt if the debt ceiling isn't raised again; and that even if not, it will cause damage nonetheless the closer the date is reached before finally doing something. Is it a problem being overestimated or is there really something in there to worry about?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

10 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yet I see people commenting this time it may cause a default on the debt if the debt ceiling isn't raised again; and that even if not, it will cause damage nonetheless the closer the date is reached before finally doing something. Is it a problem being overestimated or is there really something in there to worry about?

They've been fine with fucking their own voters to induce more damage onto blacks in the past. They're probably fine with fucking this up if they can pin it on Biden and hurt his agenda.

13 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It happens every once in a while, the government "shuts down" because they can't agree on how to balance the books, and there's nothing that the average person can do about outside of possibly wishing that they voted someone else in office.

All things considered, there are bigger things that could happen.

Edited by Armchair General

3 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

They've been fine with fucking their own voters to induce more damage onto blacks in the past. They're probably fine with fucking this up if they can pin it on Biden and hurt his agenda.

Oh, no doubt that's their plan. Still, it's sad to see they are willing to stoop down that low.

5 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

It happens every once in a while, the government "shuts down" because they can't agree on how to balance the books, and there's nothing that the average person can do about outside of possibly wishing that they voted someone else in office.

Sure, shutdowns happen often. What's different here is that the Republicans are willing to allow the country to default on its debts, which hasn't happened before.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

20 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Sure, shutdowns happen often. What's different here is that the Republicans are willing to allow the country to default on its debts, which hasn't happened before.

Well, we're at the point in history where the national debt is supposed to rise; only problem is that nobody wants to approve on a plan that they don't like. As far as I can tell, someone needs to draft out another plan, and that someone is probably the Democrats.

In other news, there's an call in NYC to challenge the local vaccination requirements.

44 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

While a gov't shutdown has happened a number of times since the 80's, the way it's currently done is very different from, say, the Clinton era shutdown. It's not about how the books are balanced, but the government debt ceiling, an artificial barrier that has to be raised every year or so to keep the government from defaulting on it's debt. Suffice it to say, the government defaulting on its debt is very bad.

Edited by Excellen Browning

That's just a proposal for a bill, and the article very much misrepresents what the bill does in the opening lines to follow up with this explanation:

Croke’s legislation would allow Illinois residents to bring a civil suit against the manufacturer, importer or dealer of a firearm if they, or a loved one, are hurt or killed as a result of the unlawful discharge of a gun in the state.

So no, not virtually anyone can sue a manufacturer or firearms dealer, in fact very few can.

On 10/7/2021 at 11:23 AM, Armchair General said:

I wonder what tipped off the IRS.

If he was caught because he did not file his taxes in 2017 and that flagged the system, that would be like the dumbest mistake ever. Al Capone was caught and charged on tax evasion because that was the easiest way to lock him up compared to murder and all that other stuff. A tax preparer should know better and file their taxes!

8 hours ago, XRay said:

I wonder what tipped off the IRS.

If he was caught because he did not file his taxes in 2017 and that flagged the system, that would be like the dumbest mistake ever. Al Capone was caught and charged on tax evasion because that was the easiest way to lock him up compared to murder and all that other stuff. A tax preparer should know better and file their taxes!

Well, people have been arrested faster for simply forgetting that the security cameras are running, or that something as big as the IRS maintains an database of most of the population's addresses.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(jqlck4rsa5liufqedwk0ugu0))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2021-SR-0086&query=on

Basically, because they're protesting things that GOP gets behind on these days (anti-vax, anti-race discussions), they're arguing that any investigation into threats and harassment of school board officials is a violation of Free Speech
No one puts a bigger target on Free Speech than the right with this kind of shit lol
And supposedly, the school board has been asking Biden for help and that's why the DOJ is involved

@Armchair General I deleted one of your posts, but that's because it made no sense after I deleted another offending post.  Sorry!

3 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(jqlck4rsa5liufqedwk0ugu0))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2021-SR-0086&query=on

Basically, because they're protesting things that GOP gets behind on these days (anti-vax, anti-race discussions), they're arguing that any investigation into threats and harassment of school board officials is a violation of Free Speech
No one puts a bigger target on Free Speech than the right with this kind of shit lol
And supposedly, the school board has been asking Biden for help and that's why the DOJ is involved

Do these people not realize that free speech doesn't mean freedom to threaten?

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

@Armchair General I deleted one of your posts, but that's because it made no sense after I deleted another offending post.  Sorry!

Do these people not realize that free speech doesn't mean freedom to threaten?

They would if the protests were about improving wages, making healthcare more affordable, making it easier to vote, etc etc.