General US Politics

Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Actually, yes, he would have been attacked politically for reversing the decision. Support for withdrawing from the country was still strong back then, if I recall. The backslash to the withdrawal was a matter of hindsight. Since it was mostly caused because of the Taliban blitzkrieg that happened during the Summer, a consequence after Trump negotiated the release of thousands of Taliban POW's back in 2020 in order to guarantee a peaceful withdrawal, which the Afghan government was not a part of, thus demoralized their forces to stop fighting back and even defect. This in turn affected the withdrawal efforts, which were kinda done gradual in spite of it, considering the withdrawal was first set to end on April, then extended to August. Which meant that the Taliban began their blitzkrieg when the original deadline arrived, but not the extended one. It's not like Biden could've reversed things once things were clear were going downhill without that causing backslash as well. It had become a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. And considering things, most likely previously set-up to fail for him.

He would have been politically attacked, but I think he could have easily weathered the storm like he is doing now. Most Americans do not give a shit about foreign affairs and it shows because we have practically no mention of Afghanistan on the major news anymore. If Aghanistan was still under control, we would not have a humanitarian crisis that we have now. We could have at least held onto the major cities and area surrounding it instead of trying to rush the evacuation at all cost.

And while Biden may say that he welcomes immigrants and refugees, and he is better than Trump in that regard, he is still an old white fart at the end of the day and have largely neglected immigrants and refugees. Tons of Afghans are still stuck in bureaucratic limbo on our military bases, and those are just the lucky ones. The unlucky ones are still stuck in Afghanistan experiencing Taliban hell. The least we could do now is to expedite the immigration process for Afghan immigrants, but that has not really happened either. There are a ton of Afghans stuck in bureaucratic limbo at our military bases, and those are just the lucky ones. The unlucky ones are left behind and are stuck in Afghanistan experiencing Taliban hell. The few that made it through the process is like winning a freaking lottery, and that just is not right after many of them risked their lives to save ours.

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

Actually, yes, he would have been attacked politically for reversing the decision. Support for withdrawing from the country was still strong back then, if I recall. The backslash to the withdrawal was a matter of hindsight. Since it was mostly caused because of the Taliban blitzkrieg that happened during the Summer, a consequence after Trump negotiated the release of thousands of Taliban POW's back in 2020 in order to guarantee a peaceful withdrawal, which the Afghan government was not a part of, thus demoralized their forces to stop fighting back and even defect. This in turn affected the withdrawal efforts, which were kinda done gradual in spite of it, considering the withdrawal was first set to end on April, then extended to August. Which meant that the Taliban began their blitzkrieg when the original deadline arrived, but not the extended one. It's not like Biden could've reversed things once things were clear were going downhill without that causing backslash as well. It had become a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. And considering things, most likely previously set-up to fail for him.

I think things have a potential to be worse due to global lockdowns caused by unvaccinated dipshits, although I cannot really imagine things being any worse here though. Europe is getting their act together and is starting to enforce vaccination and masks. But here in America, if the unvaccinated dickwads do not want to vaccinate nor wear a mask, we should have a policy to deny them hopstical entry to prevent stupidity from clogging up our healthcare system. In all honesty, I kind of wish we do not enforce vaccination and mask requirements so the plague infested and ignoramuses can be weeded out of our gene pool, and it comes with the added benefit of reducing right wing extremists in our population too.

Biden is literally trying to save these dumbfucks from themselves, but if they want to take Ivermectin like a stupid animal instead, then I do not think Biden should waste any more of his political capital on these hopeless idiots.

2 hours ago, XRay said:

He would have been politically attacked, but I think he could have easily weathered the storm like he is doing now. Most Americans do not give a shit about foreign affairs and it shows because we have practically no mention of Afghanistan on the major news anymore. If Aghanistan was still under control, we would not have a humanitarian crisis that we have now. We could have at least held onto the major cities and area surrounding it instead of trying to rush the evacuation at all cost.

And while Biden may say that he welcomes immigrants and refugees, and he is better than Trump in that regard, he is still an old white fart at the end of the day and have largely neglected immigrants and refugees. Tons of Afghans are still stuck in bureaucratic limbo on our military bases, and those are just the lucky ones. The unlucky ones are still stuck in Afghanistan experiencing Taliban hell. The least we could do now is to expedite the immigration process for Afghan immigrants, but that has not really happened either. There are a ton of Afghans stuck in bureaucratic limbo at our military bases, and those are just the lucky ones. The unlucky ones are left behind and are stuck in Afghanistan experiencing Taliban hell. The few that made it through the process is like winning a freaking lottery, and that just is not right after many of them risked their lives to save ours.

I think things have a potential to be worse due to global lockdowns caused by unvaccinated dipshits, although I cannot really imagine things being any worse here though. Europe is getting their act together and is starting to enforce vaccination and masks. But here in America, if the unvaccinated dickwads do not want to vaccinate nor wear a mask, we should have a policy to deny them hopstical entry to prevent stupidity from clogging up our healthcare system. In all honesty, I kind of wish we do not enforce vaccination and mask requirements so the plague infested and ignoramuses can be weeded out of our gene pool, and it comes with the added benefit of reducing right wing extremists in our population too.

Biden is literally trying to save these dumbfucks from themselves, but if they want to take Ivermectin like a stupid animal instead, then I do not think Biden should waste any more of his political capital on these hopeless idiots.

While there's hardly any excuse for not wearing a mask, you are aware that the vaccine has it's share of side effects, right?

Note that these side effects are actually kind of rare.

Edited by Armchair General

2 hours ago, XRay said:

The ammount of brotherly love you have for your fellow man is palpable. Also new variants keep popping up, so this won't be ending quickly.

43 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The ammount of brotherly love you have for your fellow man is palpable. 

The eternal game of "Red vs. Blue" has been going on ever since Trump was elected, or at least that's when I first noticed it and decided that it really isn't worth being perpetually irate over politics.

After all, it's not like I can actually do anything about it but hope that whoever I voted for wins and actually does something.

But seriously, I believe that there's hardly any excuse not to wear a mask or keep your distancing.

Edited by Armchair General

1 hour ago, Armchair General said:

While there's hardly any excuse for not wearing a mask, you are aware that the vaccine has it's share of side effects, right?

Yes, it has some side effects for some people, but for the vast majority of people, there is absolutely no excuse not to get the vaccine. The side effects are so blown out of proportion compared to the good it could bring that it is like complaining about coffee having the potential to cause heart attack. Unless a person is part of the extremely tiny minority of people who cannot take the vaccine for whatever medical reason, everyone should take the vaccine. Whatever ill side effect is caused by the vaccine, it is tiny in scope and severity in proportion to the deaths and severe illnesses caused by COVID. If people are willing to go through chemotherapy to fight cancer, despite the potential harm and extreme pain it can cause, the minor side effects from the COVID vaccine is quite frankly peanuts in comparison.

37 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The ammount of brotherly love you have for your fellow man is palpable. Also new variants keep popping up, so this won't be ending quickly.

I do not have any love left for them. Right now, it is extreme annoyance, disgust, irritation, and frustration. It is one thing to be stupid, but it is a whole other thing to be stupid to the point of believing in outrageous conspiracy theories, treating science and doctors as if they are joke on par with palm reading and astrology, and jeopardizing the lives of your friends and family with a disease that is totally preventable.

It is one thing if the vaccine is expensive as hell and you cannot afford it, but this vaccine has been offered for the price of absolutely freaking free for over half a year now.

Trump's next loss in his attempt to keep the White House records concealed:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/10/opinions/trump-loss-court-of-appeals-republic-gift-eisen-perry/index.html

Only thing left is taking it to the Supreme Court, and he has until the 23rd to try.

Since the strategy is to run down the clock until the 2022 midterms, Trump likely won't do it until the 23rd itself. Not unlike how he appealed on the day before the previous deadline. On one hand, the Supreme Court is 6-3 Republican majority, with three of them being Trump appointees. On the other hand, the Supreme Court members should hopefully be aware of the dangerous precedent they could set if they take the case, and worse, rule in Trump's favor. As they'd declare a former President can override the current one (as Biden has already given the okay for the records to be released), at least when it comes to the White House records.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 6:08 PM, Jotari said:

The Afghanistan fiasco happened really early in the presidency, and as many are quick to point out, was Trumps plan to begin with

Trump's plan didn't involve leaving US civilians behind or leaving military equipment behind for the Taliban to use. Thanks to Biden, the Taliban now have an air force. Biden's lucky that Afghanistan is a land-locked country or he'd have given them a navy as well.

Also, I applaud Texas for starting construction on a border wall. It's nice to see at least one state is taking the mass immigration crisis seriously, something that the federal government should be doing, instead of leaving it to state governments.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

For the folks at home:

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2021-08-31/fact-focus-trump-others-wrong-on-us-gear-left-with-taliban
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/trump-claims-about-taliban-afghanistan-getting-u-s-weapons-miss-ncna1278717
https://apnews.com/article/ap-fact-check-taliban-7adfaa936245d5d755ec6111c81792c2
https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2021/09/03/donald-trump-claims-us-left-85-billion-of-military-equipment-behind-officials-say-those-figures-are-inflated/

That means the U.S. didn’t supply things like jet fighters, tanks or tactical ballistic and anti-aircraft missiles that could be aimed at other countries or international airliners for terrorist attacks.

In fact, except for some artillery donated by Turkey, nearly all of the Afghan army’s heavy weapons — tanks, howitzers, multiple-rocket launchers and so forth — came not from the U.S. but are rather Soviet-era weapons left over from the Soviet-Afghan war in the 1980s.

The Afghan air force, too, was entirely equipped for fighting the Taliban with slow, small planes rather than with fast jet fighters and bombers and armored attack helicopters. According to a report in July by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction, the force counted 167 aircraft in flyable condition in the country, with all the helicopter types dating to the 1980s or earlier. (However, this count omits helicopters and around 20 PC-12 spy planes operated by the Special Mission Wing of the Afghan army.)

This inventory was then significantly reduced when the Taliban took over, with Afghan pilots flying around 50 to neighboring Tajikistan and Uzbekistan ahead of time. U.S. forces also “demilitarized” 73 aircraft left behind at Kabul International Airport, sabotaging them so extensively that the Taliban felt “angry and betrayed.”

It was certainly not a perfect salted earth operation. Admittedly, the Taliban were able to secure some stuff... but the reality on the matter is that they only have enough for operations within Afghani territory, and that's only while those things last as they don't have the means for constant maintenance. They won't be threatening any of the neighbors for the time being.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

30 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Trump's plan didn't involve leaving US civilians behind or leaving military equipment behind for the Taliban to use. Thanks to Biden, the Taliban now have an air force. Biden's lucky that Afghanistan is a land-locked country or he'd have given them a navy as well.

Also, I applaud Texas for starting construction on a border wall. It's nice to see at least one state is taking the mass immigration crisis seriously, something that the federal government should be doing, instead of leaving it to state governments.

It absolutely did lol. Biden delayed the withdrawal to get more people out.

Apparently, the only things that were left behind are a few thousand assault rifles and an unknown number of armored transports, along with some uniforms and body armor

I'm not sure about the howitzers, though.

The only thing that the neighbors should be concerned about is the Cold War tanks that were exported from Russia, since the Taliban doesn't have much of an air wing.

We might be looking at another incident or two in the future, though; although it probably won't last long.

25 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

The only thing that the neighbors should be concerned about is the Cold War tanks that were exported from Russia

It's been thirty-odd years since the USSR invaded Afghanistan, I'd assume they'd be too rusted up to work by now.

8 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

It's been thirty-odd years since the USSR invaded Afghanistan, I'd assume they'd be too rusted up to work by now.

You'd be surprised on how long stuff lasts if you take care of it.

I can't speak for the actual ordnance because of there's hardly any info on old tank shells spontaneously exploding in the same way "expired" TNT does.

12 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/2018/09/09/wwii-weapons-in-yemens-civil-war/

Also, the M1 Abrams has been in service for over 40 years.

Edited by Excellen Browning

• 2 weeks later...

Oklahoma Bill Would Pay Parents $10K Each Day Their Nominated Banned Books Remain in Libraries

SB 1142 would allow parents who believed their child's school was carrying a book in violation of the law to "submit a written request to the school district superintendent or charter school administrator to remove the book."

The violating books in question would be any items relating to "the study of sex, sexual preferences, sexual activity, sexual perversion, sex-based classifications, sexual identity, or gender identity or books that are of a sexual nature," according to the bill's text.

Once the school receives the written request from a parent or guardian, the violating district would have 30 days to remove all copies of the book from circulation, according to the bill.

The bill goes on to state that the complaining parent "may seek monetary damages including a minimum of Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000.00) per day the book requested for removal is not removed." Additionally, the parent may also seek compensation for attorney's fees and court costs.

The proposed ban on those forced college classes is kind of justifiable, considering how those courses aren't free and some college students are barely scraping by. But I think that it's really should be up to the parents to educate their kids on that kind of stuff; all it takes is talking to them about it for an hour or two.

These people are so silly. And that bill is just asking to be utilized in bad faith, I can just imagine people wanting to make a quick buck complaining about all sorts of books for the dumbest of reasons.

Maybe certain parents should actually fucking parent and not whine that the rest of the world doesn't live up to their shitty standards.

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Happy coup anniversary day?

Just another incident of people being idiots.

Except that a few people were killed in the process and several more were incarcerated for several months. I forgot how much time the QAnon shamam got, but I know that it was over an year.

Hopefully, something like it won't happen again; but you never know, nowadays

It'd help if the orchestrators receive any tangible punishment, and not just a slap in the wrist... or nothing at all. Otherwise that invites further attempts, once they know they can get away with it. So better start hoping the Commission does get anywhere on that front.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It'd help if the orchestrators receive any tangible punishment, and not just a slap in the wrist... or nothing at all. Otherwise that invites further attempts, once they know they can get away with it. So better start hoping the Commission does get anywhere on that front.

I thought that impeachment thing went through, already?

2 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

I thought that impeachment thing went through, already?

Which one? The one made after he riled the crowd? He was impeached, but not convicted, due to lack of super majority vote.

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2022/01/06/president-trump-releases-statement-anniversary-insurrection/

Thus he is still free to keep riling the people calling the election was rigged even more than one year after the fact. We know what happened last January 6 because of that...

Edited by Acacia Sgt