General US Politics

Ansem

1 hour ago, Armchair General said:

I mean, it's still around in the sense of people going against Islam or people using their own perception of Christianity to justify their actions. But I don't think that it's the biggest contributor to what's going on, nowadays. I believe that it's mostly over race, nowadays.

No, not the biggest contributor, but, then again, I would have described it as the biggest contributor to gladiatorial games either (the Aztecs we can probably place the blame solely on religion). But it also still is a factor. I've seen videos of people earnestly proclaiming Trump a new evangelist on par with figures from the Bible, this all being despite the fact that he's the least religious president since Lincoln. Religion also probably was a factor with the Nazis too, yeah it was definitely on like genetic grounds first and foremost, but Christians were super sore about Jews killing Jesus for a crazy length of time. Ultimately the more elements you can use to "other" a group of people the more easy it is to convince people they don't deserve the same rights. And that's part of the reason why I find gladiatorial games and human sacrifice more incomprehensible, because it wasn't done towards "others", it was done towards fellow citizens (of course other citizens of different races and religions are fellow citizens deserving of equal rights and respect, I fully believe that, but I can understand why other people can be propagandized into thinking otherwise as humans relate to the familiar, course propagandized isn't even entirely accurate, I'm the one who's been propagandized to believe in unilateral respect and decency, mistrust of outsiders is the more instinctually human trait going back to the origins of our species).

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

But it also still is a factor. I've seen videos of people earnestly proclaiming Trump a new evangelist on par with figures from the Bible, this all being despite the fact that he's the least religious president since Lincoln.

I'm not sure if this is from me being an atheist, but this is only setting things up for another incident where people will collectively do something stupid and possibly attack the public over something that he probably said. I really don't look for religious content because I never was into that kind of stuff, especially with what happened whenever you prop up someone who's currently alive as an savior or something.

As for the gladiators and human sacrifices bit, sometimes people are just sociopaths or they just enjoy the realistic version of WWE. My point is, it might not serve an spiritual purpose; but the important thing is that it allegedly entertained the public to the point where they won't complain about something else.

46 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

(like the Waco Siege)

Weren't the Branch Dividians the undeserving victims in that, though? Like, I'm pretty sure the ATF and FBI tear-gassed children and burned people alive people out of suspicion of them having illegal firearms. Popular culture basically disregarded them as a cult and disregarded their value as humans as well.

IMO "cult" just means "religion I don't like".

2 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Weren't the Branch Dividians the undeserving victims in that, though? Like, I'm pretty sure the ATF and FBI tear-gassed children and burned people alive people out of suspicion of them having illegal firearms. Popular culture basically disregarded them as a cult and disregarded their value as humans as well.

IMO "cult" just means "religion I don't like".

Yeah, it's another example of the feds doing what they're infamous for. But nobody is really sure with what actually caused the incident to escalate; although my money is on the government.

Edited by Armchair General

When you realize that we were all indoctrinated by nationalist propaganda into the origin myth "The Pilgrims came to America fleeing religious persecution in Europe and seeking a place where they could worship freely."

And that The Puritans weren't an innocent, oppressed minority being persecuted for their beliefs; they were religious fanatics who found mainstream social conditions in 17th century Christian Europe too liberal and humanistic too tolerate.

...a whole lot more about American history and politics begins to make sense...

Thanksgiving Song: "The Pilgrims Came to America" Music Video, mp3, and Book

8 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

When you realize that we were all indoctrinated by nationalist propaganda into the origin myth "The Pilgrims came to America fleeing religious persecution in Europe and seeking a place where they could worship freely."

And that The Puritans weren't an innocent, oppressed minority being persecuted for their beliefs; they were religious fanatics who found mainstream social conditions in 17th century Christian Europe too liberal and humanistic too tolerate.

...a whole lot more about American history and politics begins to make sense...

Thanksgiving Song: "The Pilgrims Came to America" Music Video, mp3, and Book

Well, that's how you were propagandized. Pretty much every reference I've seen regarding the puritans growing up focused on how they immediately started killing native Americans.

23 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Yeah, it's another example of the feds doing what they're infamous for. But nobody is really sure with what actually caused the incident to escalate; although my money is on the government.

Feds gonna fed.

I know this is a double-post, but I really felt the need to talk about George Carlin.

Y'know, he was a comedian, right? So when people quote him, you'd expect the quotes to be...jokes. Things he said that were funny.

But they don't.

People quote Carlin like he was a political philosopher, and judging him by that metric, he's really mediocre.

I think this indicates his failure both as a part of the political landscape and as a comedian.

3 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I know this is a double-post, but I really felt the need to talk about George Carlin.

Y'know, he was a comedian, right? So when people quote him, you'd expect the quotes to be...jokes. Things he said that were funny.

But they don't.

People quote Carlin like he was a political philosopher, and judging him by that metric, he's really mediocre.

I think this indicates his failure both as a part of the political landscape and as a comedian.

I think it indicates that comedy is often the most comfortable vehicle for uncomfortable truths.

Same reason why political cartoons and memes (i.e. modern political cartoons) are such a popular form of expression.

Like--whats a more effective form of mass communication? 

A full length treatise on the failures and hypocrisies of modern American foreign policy, or:

SpongeBob SquarePants

10 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

I think it indicates that comedy is often the most comfortable vehicle for uncomfortable truths.

That would require George Carlin to have been either funny or truthful.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

But they don't.

Are they actually quoting George Carlin, or just claiming to quote George Carlin? He has become a popular person to attribute false quotes to.

2 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

I always thought that the Puritans were kind of insane in comparison to literally anyone else; I just assumed that it was just an handful of sects who suddenly became anal about everything that goes on in life since I never got an explanation, growing up.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well, that's how you were propagandized. Pretty much every reference I've seen regarding the puritans growing up focused on how they immediately started killing native Americans.

With me, it's somewhere between the "Scarlet Letter" and that it was England's latest attempt at trying to find an new source of income to pay off their war debts, along with someone else setting sail for religious freedom.

On 5/14/2022 at 11:06 PM, Armchair General said:

Some idiot genuinely believed the stuff that gets posted on 4Chan and went on an shooting spree in Buffalo, New York. And he actually survived and posted an manifesto, beforehand.

it's just pretty much copy and pasted from the new zealand shooters manifesto, which is white identitarian drivel and a belief in great replacement conspiracy garbage.

anyone who latches on to such ideology to such a degree to where they would take direct action is likely going to be young, unexceptional, disillusioned, and resenting the perceived decline in social status for white men (whether or not that is actually true or not).

imagine that you have such little confidence in yourself and a responsibility for your own personal failings that you decide that you are going to leech off a group identity for your sense of worth, especially something as superficial as the colour of your skin. beyond being bigoted, it's just pathetic and weak-minded, and that's why such individuals are often easily manipulated by far-right ideologues that want to use them.

Edited by Tryhard

George W Bush letting slip that the Second Iraq War wasn't justified and then doubling down after correcting himself feels weirdly fitting for the world we're in. For all that it may have been, the fact he'll never be brought up for the actions that occurred as a result makes it easier to say so too.

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

Here ya go guys. 

For the next time someone tries to tell you gas prices are a reason to vote Republican.

This on the same week the vast majority of Republicans voted against the Baby Formula bill despite that being their talking point of choice. These maniacs only care about Mothers before the child is born, not after.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

Well with all the inane news items of the last...fill in the blank, I hope people found time to participate in their primary elections ahead of the midterms. It's not the capital E Election, but it is the election that decides who you can vote for in the capital E Election. 

Did a google if Larry Elder was running. He's the podcast host(?) who tried to unseat Governor Newsom in last year's recall election. Of course he is not running this year. Republican donors only have the cash on hand for rigged elections, not the fair, democratic kind. Their gambit flopped, and it was probably their one and only shot. The expectation now is that Recall Reform will be hitting the ballot this year. Fixing this century old loophole where only the opposing party gets a realistic say in who replaces a recalled individual. As for me, I'm in favor of the change wherein if the Governor were recalled, he would be replaced by the Lieutenant Governor. Why else do we have this "Vice President" position if not for them to serve as the replacement? Plus we are one of those states where the Lieutenant Governor is elected separately - as opposed to on the same ticket like a President/Vice President, so we do allow for a scenario where a recalled governor can be replaced by somebody elected fairly by an opposing party. Sounds like a good system to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost forgot to vote today, but if you live in California, make sure you remember to vote by tonight at 8:00pm for the primary midterm election. I went with all Democrats up and down the ballot. Half the choices are super easy because it is just between a Democrat and a Republican.

If you live in other states, you guys will probably vote sometime later this year too, so do forgot vote for your midterms.

Just because it is a midterm does not mean it is not important! Go VOTE!!!

Edited by XRay

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Man arrested trying to possibly kill Supreme Court Justice Kavanaugh.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/06/08/armed-man-justice-kavanaugh-home/7553107001/

"We have a Second Amendment in this country, and I think we have an obligation to use it… to maintain an armed rebellion against the government if that becomes necessary," said Congressman Matt Gaetz.

Not talking about this story, but surely he still has the same take.

"When leaders refuse to hold themselves accountable, over time people revolt… the people in charge need to acknowledge their mistakes – or else the consequences will be awful," said Fox News Opinion Host Tucker Carlson in August.

Same thing.

"Ultimately, the truth is it's our Second Amendment rights, our right to bear arms, that protects Americans and gives us the ability to defend ourselves from a tyrannical government," said Marjorie Taylor Greene in January.

...That was about rightwing threats of violence against Stacey Abrams, but again, great to use here.

Edited by Shoblongoo

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Man arrested trying to possibly kill Supreme Court Justice Kavanaugh.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/06/08/armed-man-justice-kavanaugh-home/7553107001/

Is it me, or are these kind of people getting crazier each year? I get being angry at what's going on, but trying to kill the people who are backing it certainly won't help his case.

You'd expect that the recent string of news of people getting sentenced for storming the White House would be an deterrent...