General US Politics

Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Well, he isn't wrong, considering that there's already laws for that

A well-regulated militiaman appeared outside of Justice Kavanaugh's home and took actions necessary to the security of a free state.

If he understand why that's legally incorrect, then he understands why his own doctrinal position on the 2nd amendment is horseshit.  

Edited by Shoblongoo

3 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

A well-regulated militiaman appeared outside of Justice Kavanaugh's home and took actions necessary to the security of a free state.

If he understand why that's legally incorrect, then he understands why his own doctrinal position on the 2nd amendment is horseshit.  

Ah, but you miss the last clause of the Second Amendment.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed, unless I disagree with them politically.

So, I've been reading a lot by this radical political journalist, Pedro Gonzalez. He's a brilliant and well-researched writer, with poignant and resonant language. He's done a great job in criticizing the GOP, especially (though by no means exclusively) with respect to their immigration policy. I'm pretty sure he's even played Metal Gear Solid.

A New Mexico county GOP-led commission refused to certify primary results until ordered by the courts to do so:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/new-mexico-sues-county-over-refusal-certify-june-primary-results-2022-06-15/?utm_source=reddit.com

Expect this to become more and more common...

On 6/15/2022 at 10:57 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

So, I've been reading a lot by this radical political journalist, Pedro Gonzalez. He's a brilliant and well-researched writer, with poignant and resonant language. He's done a great job in criticizing the GOP, especially (though by no means exclusively) with respect to their immigration policy. I'm pretty sure he's even played Metal Gear Solid.

I come on SF once every couple months to check out if any crazy shit has been said. I noticed a few things

a) Armchair General reads Breitbart as if it's neutral news (it's not: it's a white nationalist rag)

b) This Pedro Gonzalez fella, if it's who I found on Twitter is cut from the same hateful cloth and even if he is a talented writer, his style is basically trying to bemoan how bad the Republican Party is at letting the left win. Unless I am missing something.

On 6/9/2022 at 6:45 PM, Armchair General said:

Well, he isn't wrong, considering that there's already laws for that

Yeah, laws that the Republican Party does not support right now, unless people are trying to shoot things that aren't partisan towards the Republican Party. What do you think the Jan 6th hearings are about?

5 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

What do you think the Jan 6th hearings are about?

Mostly about people being convicted for trespassing because Trump goaded them into doing it, along with quite a few idiots openly believing hat they could overthrow the government.

There's quite a few things that feels off about it, though.

13 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Mostly about people being convicted for trespassing because Trump goaded them into doing it, along with quite a few idiots openly believing hat they could overthrow the government.

There's quite a few things that feels off about it, though.

And where, pray tell, do you suppose they got that idea? 

3 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

And where, pray tell, do you suppose they got that idea? 

Mostly from listening to Trump crying about how the election was stolen from him. There's probably some other conspiracy theories floating around the web, but I really don't look into that kind of stuff.

I think that it's kind of funny to see him whining about it, though.

18 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Mostly about people being convicted for trespassing because Trump goaded them into doing it,

49 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

I think that it's kind of funny 

Obligatory reminder that the only difference between a failed coup and a successful one is whether security forces side with the governing body they've been assigned to protect, or the people trying to overthrow it.

And that if the cop who shot Ashley Bobbitt had joined the mob, they were fully prepared to lynch The Speaker of the House.  

4 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

And that if the cop who shot Ashley Bobbitt had joined the mob, they were fully prepared to lynch The Speaker of the House.

Have not paid much attention to it lately, but has anyone been charged with treason? I do not think anyone was charged with it last I heard. To me, it feels like they were left off the hook because they are white. I am pretty disappointed they were not prosecuted as aggressively as they do against minorities.

5 minutes ago, XRay said:

Have not paid much attention to it lately, but has anyone been charged with treason? I do not think anyone was charged with it last I heard. To me, it feels like they were left off the hook because they are white. I am pretty disappointed they were not prosecuted as aggressively as they do against minorities.

So far, no.  I think there are a couple of sedition-like charges floating around, but those feel far too lenient given the supposed crap that was pulled.

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

Obligatory reminder that the only difference between a failed coup and a successful one is whether security forces side with the governing body they've been assigned to protect, or the people trying to overthrow it.

In my defense, I stopped following it right after they stormed the White House and people were taking selfies inside someone's office. I'm aware  that an handful of the protesters were killed and that several of them were already sentenced to  federal prison.

But my point is that if an disgraced real estate mogul whining like an child is enough to get people riled up enough to do something, then we're essentially screwed if someone comes up with an more convincing reason and actually tries to organize an coup.

They've gotten seditious conspiracy charges to stick against the low-level mooks who showed up to break into the Capital.

They've charged a few people close to Trump (presidential advisor Peter Navarro is the highest up they've gone IIRC) with criminal contempt for failing to respond to subpoenas. 

They haven't tied the knot of bringing seditious conspiracy charges against any of the people-at-the-top.   
__

Classic "The people at the bottom committing the lowest-level crimes got prosecuted the hardest."

9 hours ago, Armchair General said:

But my point is that if an disgraced real estate mogul whining like an child is enough to get people riled up enough to do something, then we're essentially screwed if someone comes up with an more convincing reason and actually tries to organize an coup.

That was the organized coup. Some say that was "just the test" of an organized coup, but really those aren't mutually exclusive until these maniacs are held accountable. Several of our elected officials went to those same rallies, posted the same rhetoric, call them heroes. One Congresswoman was live tweeting the location of the Speaker of the House on that day while others held guided tours of the Capitol so they'd know where they were going. Trump has already vowed to pardon the Jan 6th rioters if elected again because he'd need the continued support of others like them when it's time to secure that third term. Nothing is off the table for these guys.

What's especially concerning is the continued grip of the Trump cult on the GOP. They do not tolerate dissent. 

It's like an ISIS recruitment video.

Oh they'll do it again now every single time they lose a national election if they aren't indicted for 2020.

Once you set the precedent that the consequence of declaring yourself the winner of an election that you lost and trying to block the lawful transition of power to the next administration is grounds for committee hearings and political grandstanding but not a criminal prosecution...thats it...its the new normal...

We'll never have an election where everyone agrees it was held freely and fairly and the winner won + the loser lost again. 

20 hours ago, Armchair General said:

You should follow the jan 6 hearings. Trump tried to organize a coup. At the very least a lot of people did a lot of work trying to organize a coup for him.

Edited by Excellen Browning

18 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Trump has already vowed to pardon the Jan 6th rioters if elected again because he'd need the continued support of others like them when it's time to secure that third term. Nothing is off the table for these guys.

Third term? But he's only had one term so far. Ah, wait, you mean the whole "he actually won so this is his lawful second term" notion. Wow, that's going to require some ass backwards double think to get around to convince themselves he's eligible for another term. Course rationality left that room quite a while ago.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Third term? But he's only had one term so far. Ah, wait, you mean the whole "he actually won so this is his lawful second term" notion. Wow, that's going to require some ass backwards double think to get around to convince themselves he's eligible for another term. Course rationality left that room quite a while ago.

Nah, they don't need to think up anything. They'll just accept it.

Reminds me there was that one tweet of Trump's about him being president for life, after all...

On 6/20/2022 at 3:44 PM, Armchair General said:

In my defense, I stopped following it right after they stormed the White House and people were taking selfies inside someone's office. I'm aware  that an handful of the protesters were killed and that several of them were already sentenced to  federal prison.

Please do not comment unless you have watched the hearings.

EDIT: Basically, any allegation levied at Trump about attempting to change election results (both violently and non-violently) now have tons of proof behind it. The proof is only mounting.

I don't believe in the death penalty, but Trump and anyone who was egging this shit on need to be in prison for life.

Edited by Lord Raven

Turning back the clock 50 years in at least half the country seems a pretty big win for conservatives to me.

I've long been on board with throwing out the filibuster, I hope the democrats in congress finally muster up the courage to do it.

Oh cool, Democrats have a better brush to paint Republicans as religious extremists now. Sharia has arrived in America, not from Islam, but from Christian extremists. Better protect your wives and daughters now, because Christian extremists will be coming after them like in the Handmaid's tale.

Edited by XRay

Its still weird that 50 year old laws can be overturned by judges selected purely because of their political opinions, nominated by a president the population explicitly did not vote for, confirmed by a senate that the population also did not vote for and that the law they overturned was one the population actually supports. 

The American system clearly is not a functioning one. 

And apparently one judge(who's married to a literal traitor) hinted that they might scheme to go after gay marriage next. So Americans might want to be like this

Edited by Etrurian emperor