General US Politics

Ansem

Looks like it's official now. With the Nevada seat being set to be retained by the Democrats, they've hold on to Senate Majority and can even increase their lead instead come the Georgia runoff.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/10/2022 at 6:33 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Could it be that Biden is actually a better administrator and politician than people give him credit for?

Yes, and he is pretty much along the same lines as guys like Fetterman. We need more guys like Fetterman.

• 1 month later...

So House Speaker vote is underway... and apparently it's the first time in a century that it has failed to elect a Speaker right off the bat?

19 Hardline Republicans Vote Against Kevin McCarthy for House Speaker (businessinsider.com)

And now the second round of voting ended up the same. Just how long can this hold up?

It's pretty clear proof of an ideologically split party. But there's no other viable candidate to be speaker from that party. The dissenting votes went for Jim Jordan, who continues to support McCarthy. My guess is that this back and forth will continue for another three or so rounds of voting before the dissenting voters capitulate. This kind of roadblock serves no one.

And there's loss #4.

just now finding out that the speaker election doesn't need 218 votes, specifically. If people don't show up (or choose to abstain), the bar for victory shrinks to the new simple majority based on total votes cast. So for instance, one person of either party affiliation doing that right now would drop the number down to 217, as the total votes would be 343. so a Jeffries victory is a very real possibility. It's as slim as the prospect of Donald Trump winning in 2016, but certainly higher than the near zero chance you'd think he'd have. A combination of abstained and cross party votes from the McCarthy camp could bring the circus to a sudden end.

Edit: And in this latest vote one republican has already abstained. More might follow if McCarthy bows out of the race, though I'm not betting on that possibility.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

...huh...

Its almost like finding common cause in tonguing Trump's ass for 7 years was the only thing stopping the bible-thumpers and the ammosexuals and the Tea Party cosplayers + the vulture capitalists and the crypto bros and the country club Republicans from remembering that they actually hate each other.

Edited by Shoblongoo

3 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

...huh...

Its almost like finding common cause in tonguing Trump's ass for 7 years was the only thing stopping the bible-thumpers and the ammosexuals and the Tea Party cosplayers + the vulture capitalists and the crypto bros and the country club Republicans from remembering that they actually hate each other.

As I recall they all pretty much hated Trump too until he actually started winning primaries, and then it was in for a penny in for a pound.

15 hours ago, Jotari said:

As I recall they all pretty much hated Trump too until he actually started winning primaries, and then it was in for a penny in for a pound.

I heard it was due to a problem with the captcha login 

Thumbnail

16 hours ago, Jotari said:

Even then they absolutely hated the man, but pathetically swallowed whatever small standards they had to grovel towards Trump for electoral gain.

I am shocked--shocked--that a coalition of the absolute worst people and most malignant egos in society formerly being held together by an authoritarian strongman has now in his absence devolved into petty, self-destructive infighting.

Okay. I'm not that shocked.  

Edited by Shoblongoo

Guess this won't be going to Week 2. He couldn't get 218 votes from his party and that is still still very true as the remaining dissenters chose to abstain instead. I wonder if 216 is the lowest any Speaker has won the vote with. Presuming we only look at the time period in which the House has been capped at 435 members. If this is just the first order of business, then this is shaping up to be the least productive two years in the history of the chamber.

Pretty spooky clip tonight of a dude being held back by the mouth. Wonder if in the coming weeks we'll have to ask for further clarification when talking about "what happened on Jan 6th"

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

4 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Uh, speaking of January 6th ...

Check out what just happened in Brazil.

At least Bolsernaro was already chased out of the country, last week;  so I'm not entirely sure if it's possible to blame him for the people who are rioting in front of the capital building. But history will probably repeat itself, just with an higher death toll and longer prison sentences

45 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

At least Bolsernaro was already chased out of the country, last week;  so I'm not entirely sure if it's possible to blame him for the people who are rioting in front of the capital building. But history will probably repeat itself, just with an higher death toll and longer prison sentences

Rhetoric and one's past behavior and words are an important thing.

While it's true that Bolsanaro is not currently in Brazil and (as far as I've heard) doesn't seem to have encouraged the insurrectionists as it was happening, unlike a certain someone, it's a low bar to clear. His previous rhetoric of not accepting the results, and calling it rigged and fearmongering about voting, mean that he still holds responsibility for this.

This is kinda a fine line to walk.  On one hand, it's Brazil, not the US.  On the other, Bolsanaro is in Florida so this could turn into quite the situation depending on whether or not Brazil wants the US to extradite him.  I'll let this go for now.

10 hours ago, eclipse said:

Bolsanaro is in Florida so this could turn into quite the situation depending on whether or not Brazil wants the US to extradite him

I kind of doubt if this will happen. I mean, it's not exactly the first time that an politician has fled their country. Granted, it's kind of unusual for it to happen; but it would feel kind of weird for the Brazilian government to prosecute him if he didn't directly incite that riot.

• 8 months later...

Kevin McCarthy Ousted from House Speakership | Time

aaaaaaand he's gone.

Fifteen attempts to get the gavel and now nine months later, he's the first House Speaker to be ousted in U.S. history. He even dared them to do it during the post-resolution trash talk, thinking it wouldn't happen.

Maybe he'll be reinstated but it's not a good look.

1 minute ago, X-Naut said:

Maybe he'll be reinstated but it's not a good look.

And now McCarthy has stated that he won't run for Speaker again.

We've 42 days before spending runs out again. It'd be expectable if it had come down to the wire even without this, but now, talks of spending compromises have to be delayed until the House/Republicans actually have a chief negotiator. The lack of a Speaker did prevent the House from doing literally anything else back in January, but now since everyone has been sworn-in, I'm not sure if that's the case this time.

I wish the old facepalm emoji still existed on this site, because that just about sums up my thoughts.

Republicans be making history, and not in the good way.

216 votes to become speaker. 216 votes to get fired. It's poetic because it rhymes.

Oh god I forgot how last time there was a slight push to make Donald Trump speaker of the house, so be prepared to hear about that cursed possibility. No idea who's going to be the next speaker - I was expecting McCarthy to be ousted and then reinstated within a week after making a deal with dems, but he's not running. All I can say for sure is a week with only Jeffries consistently getting 200+ votes but never hitting 218

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

It's Election Day, in the USA! Please vote, if you are able to do so. Even if it's only local and county-level races where you are, those can make a big difference on your day-to-day experience.

On a Wednesday!? How devilish. You guys get a day off for it yet (I say that as if it's a holiday where I'm from when it's not {well, I think, been a while since I've lived there}, course we don't have the issue of people fainting in lines because they need to wait so long either).