General US Politics

Ansem

USA legit didn't invade Texas, though. Texas got independence and then joined voluntarily. Now, the US totally stole a lot of land from Mexico, but they didn't invade Texas.

Just as a clarification, but they did invade it. Just not in the traditional sense. They flooded the place with immigrants, even after Mexico banned them from entering the country in 1830. Texas wasn't the only case. Bear Flag Republic, anyone?

Anyway, in the end that's a thing of the past. Our world certianly operates differently from 200 years ago.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

care to elaborate?

I'm an hypocrite because I think something that happened 200 years ago shouldn't be judged on the same light as something that happened last year?

I wouldn't judge russia for invading countries and anexing their lands 200, 100 or even 50 years ago

But they did that literally last year

Either way, if I'm a hypocrite, then so are the putinbots who think russia did nothing wrong.

I'm not saying you're hypocrite, I'm saying the country as a whole is hypocrite.

It cannot live without invading another country (currently Iraq, Afghanistan)

True, you said literally nothing to back up or even explain your statement. Makes it kinda difficult to discuss it, if you ask me.

I'm not saying you're hypocrite, I'm saying the country as a whole is hypocrite.
It cannot live without invading another country (currently Iraq, Afghanistan)

Pretty sure the US wouldn't mind leaving either of those right now, but either of them would probably collapse into civil war if the western forces were gone instantly. I'm not saying that the incursions were rightful (because I don't think they were), but the US have to take the responsibility to help them rebuild right now.

If you want to criticize the current foreign policy (i.e. under Obama) I'd recommend looking into the drone strikes on countries the US are not at war with. Gitmo might be a good approach, too, since Obama did promise to close it prior to his election and it's still a clear case of unrightful imprisonment.

True, you said literally nothing to back up or even explain your statement. Makes it kinda difficult to discuss it, if you ask me.

Are you talking about my statement about NATO?

Pretty sure the US wouldn't mind leaving either of those right now, but either of them would probably collapse into civil war if the western forces were gone instantly.

Afghanistan and especially Iraq pretty much are in a state of civil war already, it's just that nobody really wants to call it by that name because that'd only go to show how badly the US/NATO interventions in both countries have failed. Afghanistan basically has the USA fighting a proxy war against themselves for almost a decade and Iraq was a stable country until Gdubs decided that it's a good idea irreparably fuck up the whole country for bogus reasons.

So it's not really that these countries are going to 'collapse into civil war' if the western forces leaves.

It's more that these countries have collapsed into civil war after the western forces entered the scene.

And don't even get me started on Lybia. That's a whole different can of worms.

If you want to criticize the current foreign policy (i.e. under Obama) I'd recommend looking into the drone strikes on countries the US are not at war with. Gitmo might be a good approach, too, since Obama did promise to close it prior to his election and it's still a clear case of unrightful imprisonment.

There's also the fact that the USA have openly supported so-called 'moderate rebels' in Syria against Assad - terrorist groups that have commited massacres in Aleppo [you should be able to read this as you're german, correct?] and have contamined drinking water sources around Damascus. These people are being supported by the USA, the EU, the NATO and their allies in Saudi Arabia and Qatar. [This, perhaps, can give you an idea why I'm calling the NATO a terrorist group as well].

Edited by Yojinbo

The post quality is shit.

Though I would hope that for someone who was just labelled on an assumption should not be also engaging in those assumptions in response.

But I guess I would be wrong.

I mean, I was in the wrong calling you a putinbot and my post was needlessly inflamatory, which it shouldn't have been, but when someone says giving power to Russia would be good for peace in Europe or that Russia attacked Ukraine because of NATO approaching it (Ukraine approached NATO in first place because they feared Russia, which is justified. Also, did NATO approach Georgia?), then they clearly have a irrational Russian bias, and you did both those things among others. You've also said sanctions against Russia were not justified. So, should the world just let Russia invade whichever neighboring country they want without any consequence? Sanctions are the most peaceful way of condemning a country for their wrong behaviours.
Russia has also done a lot, and i really mean a lot of shady stuff on the middle west. Like, NATO has financed rebels, which is very questionable, but Russia has themselves bombed hospitals in Aleppo, for exemple. And let's not pretend Assad, fully supported by Russia is any better. He has used chemical weapons on civilians (yeah, for real) and the syrian civil war is his to blame and would happen regardless of the west, considering how bad he was. There are no "nice guys" on this story.

Edited by Nobody

Pretty sure the US wouldn't mind leaving either of those right now, but either of them would probably collapse into civil war if the western forces were gone instantly. I'm not saying that the incursions were rightful (because I don't think they were), but the US have to take the responsibility to help them rebuild right now.

Well considering ISIS bombs Iraqi cities every week with tens of casualties I'd say Iraq is in critical situation regardless of the US army's presence there.

Honest question - do you think that the situation in Iraq would improve if the NATO forces just chose to leave tomorrow? Again: I do not condone either the Iraq war nor the Afghanistan war at all, but right now I don't think either of the countries is in position where they would benefit from the occupiers retreating. The US and their allies have to take responsibility for the situation they got the countries into.

I doubt anything will, given how deep in GOP people are in the pockets of Big Pharm, Big Business, and even Big Med. It's a disaster, and I'm probably likely to not be able to apply for insurance because I have asthma. I would hope either SCOTUS or Trump block it or at least force them to say that some of the fixes Obamacare imposed are kept, but I highly doubt it.

Senate has voted 51-48 to repeal the ACA

We'll have to wait to see what, if anything, replaces it. There's information on what might happen here.

/r/NeutralPolitics thread on repealing, I'm actually too livid to say anything, because all it would amount to is some shit saying that Republicans are nothing but power hungry corporate fascists and democrats were incompetent enough to let them get control

i think at this point obama should burn bridges and appoint a supreme court judge (or do something about the scotus) instead of leaving america in the hands of the GOP

Edited by Lord Raven

yeah whatever you can say about ACA people have health insurance, and by repealing it millions will end up losing it

sadly those fuckers don't care about anything but making money for themselves and their cronies

they're working on getting rid of planned parenthood too, which I'm assuming is a part of their mission to preserve power (get the dogmatic branch of the Christians in america on their side for getting rid of those satanistic abortions). they're incredible at having poor people vote against their interests

EDIT: also fuck you paul ryan

Edited by Lord Raven

they're working on getting rid of planned parenthood too, which I'm assuming is a part of their mission to preserve power (get the dogmatic branch of the Christians in america on their side for getting rid of those satanistic abortions). they're incredible at having poor people vote against their interests

EDIT: also fuck you paul ryan

They've already done this in Texas, so them doing it nation-wide isn't to much of a stretch.

Honest question - do you think that the situation in Iraq would improve if the NATO forces just chose to leave tomorrow? Again: I do not condone either the Iraq war nor the Afghanistan war at all, but right now I don't think either of the countries is in position where they would benefit from the occupiers retreating. The US and their allies have to take responsibility for the situation they got the countries into.

What exactly are the NATO allies doing that justifies their presence in Iraq and Afghanistan right now? I'd agree with your argument if the NATO allies actually did anything to improve the situation there but they aren't. Especially not in Iraq where NATO has shown virtually no interest in dealing with IS and instead focusing on bombing the kurds [via Turkey] and arming up anti-Assad terrorists via the hardly plausible argument that he's actually somehow worse than IS. And the last thing I've heard of the NATO mission in Afghanistan was that US airforce has bombed a hospital in Kunduz, burning all the people in it alive - including several children.

So yeah, if that's all the NATO is doing in Iraq and Afghanistan then they can kindly go fuck themselves and stay home.