General US Politics

Ansem

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

If that's true it will serve him right if trolls hack his twitter account or his private messages end up on wikileaks.  I just hope to God that he's not sending or receiving classified information on that thing.  We already had that problem with Hillary, so you think he would have tried to not do the exact same thing.

If that does happen, hopefully it'll be made public and he'll get impeached.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Man. He should pay for that fucking wall himself. Not foot the bill onto people who don't want a fucking wall.

A wall that'll cost far more than the arts and science programs he's eliminating, of course. Cuts to healthcare, too.

1 hour ago, Res said:

Apart from the 'I expected it/no surprise' reactions from non-Trump supporters, I've not really seen anything.

I see and I sorta expected this reaction from the non-Trump supporters, but I wonder about Trump supporters. What do they think about it?

19 minutes ago, Res said:

A wall that'll cost far more than the arts and science programs he's eliminating, of course. Cuts to healthcare, too.

This also something  I'm curious to see the opinion of Trump's voters. What do they think about these cuts? 

16 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

This also something  I'm curious to see the opinion of Trump's voters. What do they think about these cuts? 

I was under the impression that most of them favour those cuts. At least it always seems like the republican party runs with this in mind. Cut healthcare, education, and other social programs. Increase military, immigration pressure, prisons, yadda yadda.

Edited by SlayerX

14 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

I was under the impression that most of them favour those cuts. At least it always seems like the republican party runs with this in mind. Cut healthcare, education, and other social programs. Increase military, immigration pressure, prisons, yadda yadda.

That's actually kinda sad. And rather self-centered.

Also, Trump and his supporters still insisting that Mexico will pay for the wall, even after the mexican president said Mexico wouldn't. So how Trump will force them to pay? Worst case scenario is war, which the US can't afford right now, plus going to war over something like this would put the entire world against the US. But admittedly, war is something very, very, very improbable.

Edited by Water Mage

Congress paying for it and the US taxpayers paying for it would be the same thing, since Congress can only really get money by taxing and similar revenue measures.

Not quite though I was under the impression that he was trying to say that they were paying through their own paychecks. Which... Would still be our money, yes, but it would also mean that their money would not be able to just be pocketed and not lose anything from their own finances. IE, sort of like you might give a bank your money for safe keeping and they use your money for giving out loans, but in return, you get it back (with some minor interest) when you want as opposed to when you buy something, it's just gone. Of course now it's not going to be that, but you catch my drift right...? 

Edited by Augestein

the wall's coming into fruition is still a joke. trump's executive order is just annoying. congress has to approve for it to become remotely feasible.

i'm late, but i still want to point out that halting support of abortion in other countries is completely ridiculous since a lot of the countries i'm assuming we're giving money to really don't want to have to provide or deal with more people. this isn't just the administation acting on their (imo stupid) morals, it's a blow to foreign policy as if mexico wasn't already a bad start.

On 25/01/2017 at 3:47 AM, Rezzy said:

We'll have to agree to disagree in that regard.  This is coming from someone who is opposed to Trump, and I think there are serious issues with Trump, but that he's not a fascist.

Here's an article from The Atlantic which shows why, though worrisome, Trump is not a fascist.

The Atlantic endorsed Clinton in 2016, so they aren't exactly cheerleaders for Trump.

Was late but, I have to agree with you that I would call Trump more authoritarian than fascist right now, but if it ever gets to the point where he overthrows mass media or actually goes ahead with that registry he proposed I will call him so.

Interestingly, he has shown or said some things that are all on the checklists of signs of fascism, though.

http://www.rense.com/general37/char.htm

For some reason, this thread says the Lord Raven last posted 3 hours ago, but Tryhard's is the last post I see.

4 hours ago, Tryhard said:

Was late but, I have to agree with you that I would call Trump more authoritarian than fascist right now, but if it ever gets to the point where he overthrows mass media or actually goes ahead with that registry he proposed I will call him so.

Interestingly, he has shown or said some things that are all on the checklists of signs of fascism, though.

http://www.rense.com/general37/char.htm

Yeah, time will tell.  It's more of a media vs Trump, rather than Trump running the media, right now.  Thankfully, we still have free press in the US and free elections in 2 years, so we'll see what happens.

I don't see US taxes on imports from Mexico doing anything other than making them more expensive.

I'm not impressed by Trumps executive orders. Legal immigration into the US is already extremely arduous, especially if you're coming in as a skilled worker, often to the detriment of companies who need to search for people abroad. (It's a fairly common thing to find your business limited because you can't find or hire the people who can set up and run research projects, expansions, etc.) The US-Mexican border is already walled off for the most part, and heavily patrolled. So building a new wall is just moot. Otherwise all his plans seem to be aimed at destroying Obama's legacy, and that's unimpressive all on its own.

I thought it's worth mentioning that the entire top leadership of the State Department (career diplomats who don't typically change with election cycles) resigned today. I saw some other articles saying Trump may have asked them to resign.

It seems like Trump is taking a lot of control over his administration's foreign policy.

7 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

For some reason, this thread says the Lord Raven last posted 3 hours ago, but Tryhard's is the last post I see.

I think the first post on a new page of a large thread like this will get hidden until a new person posts.

3 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/transcript-abc-news-anchor-david-muir-interviews-president/story?id=45047602

This is a really trippy interview. There aren't enough psychedelics in the world.

I was complaining earlier to my sister-in-law that this interview, amongst others, have had me feeling really stupid today. She assured me her coworkers had all said the same thing. I've been at an utter loss for words.

5 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

I don't see US taxes on imports from Mexico doing anything other than making them more expensive.

I'm not impressed by Trumps executive orders. Legal immigration into the US is already extremely arduous, especially if you're coming in as a skilled worker, often to the detriment of companies who need to search for people abroad. (It's a fairly common thing to find your business limited because you can't find or hire the people who can set up and run research projects, expansions, etc.) The US-Mexican border is already walled off for the most part, and heavily patrolled. So building a new wall is just moot. Otherwise all his plans seem to be aimed at destroying Obama's legacy, and that's unimpressive all on its own.

Yes; exactly.

6 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I've had a problem with all of Lord Raven's posts specifically; I can't see anything he says until someone posts after him!

The brief life of the WhiteHouseLeak twitter didn't offer up anything particularly insightful, but it's still interesting to have suspicions confirmed (I'm inclined to believe it's real, as it's very plausible without any outlandish claims). 

7 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

I think the first post on a new page of a large thread like this will get hidden until a new person posts.

I see, maybe it's related to the "Go to first unread" bug.

14 minutes ago, Fly_or_Die said:

I thought it's worth mentioning that the entire top leadership of the State Department (career diplomats who don't typically change with election cycles) resigned today. I saw some other articles saying Trump may have asked them to resign.

It seems like Trump is taking a lot of control over his administration's foreign policy.

Has Tillerson even been confirmed, yet?  Who's running the State Department right now?

My trying to Google the answer showed the Elon Musk endorsed Tillerson, for all that's worth.

27 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

Legal immigration into the US is already extremely arduous, especially if you're coming in as a skilled worker, often to the detriment of companies who need to search for people abroad. (It's a fairly common thing to find your business limited because you can't find or hire the people who can set up and run research projects, expansions, etc.)

As a legal immigrant of the United States that this is true. It's quite expensive to be a legal immigrant.

Also, I will be enjoying my four years of watching President Trump deport the illegal immigrants.

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

IHas Tillerson even been confirmed, yet?  Who's running the State Department right now?

My trying to Google the answer showed the Elon Musk endorsed Tillerson, for all that's worth.

Tillerson hasn't yet been confirmed, and the people who have been running the state department for the last week just resigned. I guess it's now being run by ... whoever was below them. I'm sure the bureaucracy goes deep enough to find plenty of people willing to temporarily lead the government.

8 hours ago, Butterstroke said:

Also, I will be enjoying my four years of watching President Trump deport the illegal immigrants.

I mean, Obama has already been doing that - he has deported 2.5 million illegal immigrants, more than any other president. If anything, Trump is just going to continue about the same as him, yet he claims that Obama has been soft on that, when he clearly hasn't.

Edited by Tryhard

6 hours ago, Tryhard said:

I mean, Obama has already been doing that - he has deported 2.5 million illegal immigrants, more than any other president. If anything, Trump is just going to continue about the same as him, yet he claims that Obama has been soft on that, when he clearly hasn't.

actually trump did an aboutface before he won the election and pointed out that obama has deported a lot of people 

7 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

Obama had the DREAM thing, which was essentially clemency for some 700,000 high potential illegal immigrants.

Alright, he didn't want to deport children brought as illegal immigrants, but the point is that the idea that Obama is letting droves of illegal immigrants both into the country and letting them remain there isn't true. He's hardly been lenient if he's responsible for more deportations than any other president.

4 hours ago, Radiant head said:

actually trump did an aboutface before he won the election and pointed out that obama has deported a lot of people 

I'm kinda surprised that he would.

19 hours ago, Butterstroke said:

As a legal immigrant of the United States that this is true. It's quite expensive to be a legal immigrant.

Don't be so sure that legal immigrants won't also find themselves under fire.

Haha of course they do.