Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

This is really depressing

https://imgur.com/a/i9iH6

He's done nothing but what he said he'd do...

I especially don't understand why anyone who benefits from the ACA or is against DAPL would be surprised. 

For all his faults, Trump's so far been true to his word with regards to the executive orders he's signed.

3 minutes ago, Res said:

He's done nothing but what he said he'd do...

I especially don't understand why anyone who benefits from the ACA or is against DAPL would be surprised. 

For all his faults, Trump's so far been true to his word with regards to the executive orders he's signed.

If you argued with Trump supporters in this thread you'd be convinced that he was doing nothing but trying to help his country because he can't be bought off. That he's going to kill the establishment. Ultimately that's the greater concept people voted for him on, and that people thought he was blowing hot air for the rest of it. They got conned unless they're middle class Christian white dudes on that concept alone. Meanwhile the media has been vilified for reporting on what he's said by some people and it turns out there was no deeper meaning to it.

I do recall people getting figuratively sick when they realized that their benefits would go away once the republicans started to vote against ACA. Basically no matter how bad the dems are in four years I don't see them losing against Trump, that is assuming that the republicans didn't have Trump as a scapegoat and were ready to impeach him once the country got to an extreme low.

I mean, I've seen some with the sentiment that the poor (considered lazy) deserve to die if they can't afford healthcare. So, essentially, the Republican healthcare plan.

I don't know man, your country already lowered my expectations below what I thought was possible when re-electing Bush.

“Better to get your news directly from the president,” Smith said. “In fact, it might be the only way to get the unvarnished truth.” - Rep. Lamar Smith of Texas

This guy is the chair of the House Science Committee. My head.

44 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

I can't say I have much sympathy for those people. They can cry that they feel betrayed all they want but at some point you lose the right to get angry about being conned. Everything was pointing in the direction that Trump was going to be a very damaging leader. They had plenty of warnings and if they still chose to support that man then they only have themselves to blame. 
Its even more bizarre for Trump voters to get freaked out about Obama care disappearing. Trump has been very vocal about wanting to dismantle it so if you're in desperate need of that insurance then why would you vote for him to begin with?

54 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

IMO in this particular instance, they're the ones to blame. Trump said he'd repel the ACA and he is doing what he promissed. If that was such an important issue to them, they should have researched what each candidate said about it, and neither of them tried to hide their opinion on that, quite the contrary, they were both very vocal about it.

The dismantling of the ACA is tragic. People who voted on Trump being surprised he's doing it isn't, they got what they voted for and they only get themselves, their ignorance, trump and the republicans to blame.

About Trump being reelected, i do think and hope it won't happen, since i believe the USA, specially its economy, will suffer because of Trump's policies, but after Trump being elected, i don't doubt anything.

Edited by Nobody

14 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

If you argued with Trump supporters in this thread you'd be convinced that he was doing nothing but trying to help his country because he can't be bought off. That he's going to kill the establishment. Ultimately that's the greater concept people voted for him on, and that people thought he was blowing hot air for the rest of it. They got conned unless they're middle class Christian white dudes on that concept alone. Meanwhile the media has been vilified for reporting on what he's said by some people and it turns out there was no deeper meaning to it.

I do recall people getting figuratively sick when they realized that their benefits would go away once the republicans started to vote against ACA. Basically no matter how bad the dems are in four years I don't see them losing against Trump, that is assuming that the republicans didn't have Trump as a scapegoat and were ready to impeach him once the country got to an extreme low.

Apart from Life, the Trump supporters have been quiet in this thread since he won the election - the only other person who jumps to mind is Ana, and I believe she's still happy with the way things are? 

I'm actually not that confident in the Dems. They're failing to even stand up now. The Republican party has utilized gerrymandering to the utmost and know how to block and resist. 

31 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

“Better to get your news directly from the president,” Smith said. “In fact, it might be the only way to get the unvarnished truth.” - Rep. Lamar Smith of Texas

This guy is the chair of the House Science Committee. My head.

That was especially head-scratching.

It is most certainly depressing that so many people were apparently voting for him despite being against the things that Trump openly and vehemently said he would do. Not just because Trump is in the White House now but also because of what this says about the effectiveness of substantial political discourses in general.

Edited by BrightBow

I think a lot of people were desperate and thought voting for trump was throwing a moltov cocktail at the establishment, regardless of details 

he said he would repeal the aca, but he also kept yammering about replacing it with "something terrific." he was incoherent in details but big on overall message/sentiment that peope just read whatever they wanted on to him because they hated the status quo and connected with that if nothing else

although some of those tweets are kind of hard to believe.  that he walked back hard on opposing the establishment and goldman sachs i can see, but some of those were pretty openly his platform 

also wonder how many people vote republican just because they hate smug liberals 

So I am just seeing now that Radiant Head made a new post in this thread but it's not visible, as it has been happened quite a few times this last week. The current page contains 25 posts, which is the max. amount of posts on a page with the new software, so it's probably an issue with the first post on a new page not showing up. So I am making this post in the hopes that this fixes this new page. I hope this isn't much of an issue.

Edit: Okay that didn't work. Anyway, my intent wasn't to "bitch" about the issue but to try out if simply making another post could serve as a temporary solution until the issue can be investigated. And unfortunately it does not work, at least not with just one post.

Edited by BrightBow

1 hour ago, Lord Raven said:

They got what they voted for including the shiny new pipeline.

52 minutes ago, Res said:

I'm actually not that confident in the Dems. They're failing to even stand up now. The Republican party has utilized gerrymandering to the utmost and know how to block and resist. 

That was especially head-scratching.

The Democrats should have their act together when the next elections arrive.  That loss to Trump was a wake up call even if the odds were against them due to winning the past two presidential elections.  Hopefully they'll have a solid presidential candidate with a better record this time.  There isn't a lot they can do against the Republicans who now have a president as well as the majority in the House and Senate.  They might as well give them a chance to make good on promises and mistakes while preparing for the next big opportunity.

the democratic party isn't getting anything together unless there's a lot of external pressure out on them by grassroots movements.  otherwise they'll let the GOP do anything and then run a bunch of clueless corporate hacks in 2018 and 2020 who won't win anything 

5 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

the democratic party isn't getting anything together unless there's a lot of external pressure out on them by grassroots movements.  otherwise they'll let the GOP do anything and then run a bunch of clueless corporate hacks in 2018 and 2020 who won't win anything 

This is an opinion piece about how much of an effect Fundamentalist Christian grassroots movements have had on the Republican party; there's nothing similar coming from the Democratic side, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Res said:

So far all Trump has done is sign executive orders, which hold judicial power despite completely bypassing the house of representatives. The only way EO's can be overturned, afaik, is if they're overturned by the supreme court for being unconstitutional, or repealed by the next president.

To put it quite simply, preparing for court cases takes months. That doesn't mean the democrats aren't going to take action, if they even can. In either case they are not in position to fix the EO loophole that's been exploited for at least ~150 years now.

29 minutes ago, Res said:

This is an opinion piece about how much of an effect Fundamentalist Christian grassroots movements have had on the Republican party; there's nothing similar coming from the Democratic side, that's for sure.

Replace every instance of Christianity with Islam, and you'd have an equally bad time.  This isn't something exclusive to Christianity, this is the groundwork for any fundamentalist religious movement.  The Democratic side doesn't have ant sort of fundamentalist movement like that (thank goodness).

2 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

So they're upset that Trump is doing what he said he'd do?  I find it hard to feel sorry for these people considering that they were given literally every warning possible that Trump would be a bad POTUS, especially the people complaining about the ACA since they've either a) voted for him believing he wasn't serious about repealing it in which case they've voted for a politician they thought was lying about his platform or b) thought the ACA and Obamacare where two different things. In either case...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfvGECYB6Gs

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

Replace every instance of Christianity with Islam, and you'd have an equally bad time.  This isn't something exclusive to Christianity, this is the groundwork for any fundamentalist religious movement.  The Democratic side doesn't have ant sort of fundamentalist movement like that (thank goodness).

Agreed, and if a fundamentalist Islamic group were to arise in the U.S., that'd equally be a problem. 

I feel like this country needs to start giving classes on critical thinking skills. Because it's evident that a lot of people don't have any. Wasn't Trump really dodgy about what he was going to replace the ACA with, to the point where it should've been obvious that he really had nothing?

7 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I feel like this country needs to start giving classes on critical thinking skills. Because it's evident that a lot of people don't have any. Wasn't Trump really dodgy about what he was going to replace the ACA with, to the point where it should've been obvious that he really had nothing?

Yes; and the Republicans as a party had no real alternatives to offer at the time, either.

8 minutes ago, Res said:

Agreed, and if a fundamentalist Islamic group were to arise in the U.S., that'd equally be a problem. 

And there's people who would be happy with America being a Christian theocracy.  I'm not one of them - all I need is a glimpse at the current religious extremes in practice to dissuade me.

8 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

My high school tried, but it was really badly done.  You'd think the reading comprehension tests would be enough, but it's not.

5 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

It's not like Trump said anything at all about how he would do things. He would replace Obamacare (emphasis on 'Obama' because that's what makes it evil) and replace it with something totally amazing. He'd somehow make Mexico pay for a wall they don't want. He'd totally crush Isis, but it would be folly to blurt out his amazing plans - that would only give them opportunity to prepare, right?

You'd think that people would be more wary about trusting someone who keeps on bragging about how they have great plans for something, but has never given any concrete details on said amazing plans whatsoever. Doesn't that just seem like a red flag for someone who's trying to stall for an excuse that they obviously don't have at all?

19 minutes ago, eclipse said:

My high school tried, but it was really badly done.  You'd think the reading comprehension tests would be enough, but it's not.

Ouch. Maybe it's something that can't really be taught ... ;/