General US Politics

Ansem

2 hours ago, Res said:

Er... reforming the U.S. higher education system how? I can't imagine anything but a decrease in the quality of the college system happening as a result...

Obviously turn everything into one of those christian colleges. I mean, it seems his own university was accredited by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS), which has also accredited notable diploma mills like Bob Jones University, Patrick Henry College and Pensacola Christian College. Surely they have high academic standards!

I suppose he would be one to want to get rid of "overregulation and micromanagement in higher education" though. I mean, who really cares about accreditation, and who cares about oversight? Why can't our teachers just do what they need to do?  Why should we bother good christians with oversight?

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Private schools are usually no better than public schools regardless of what they're called.  They can even be worse due to the smaller pool of students and staff placed in a somewhat closed off environment.

Edited by Sarracenia

Now I'm worried about what the future of stuff like NPR and PBS would look like, given that he's considering cutting government spending. There's even petitions such as this one dedicated to garner support for keeping the latter on.

Mr. President, if you're reading this (and I doubt you are), please don't axe off PBS. A lot of the favorite shows of every citizen in America are on that station.

22 minutes ago, Sarracenia said:

Private schools are usually no better than public schools regardless of what they're called.  They can even be worse due to the smaller pool of students and staff placed in a somewhat closed off environment.

There are many good charter schools and many bad ones. The issue is that the standard of accountability is relatively low.

It looks like Gorsuch might not be filibustered.  There's already been 6 or 7 Democrats calling for an up or down vote.  Most of them are from Red States, but surprisingly, Dick Durbin is among them.  Durbin is the minority whip in the Senate, so basically the 2nd in command of the Senate Dems, and if he's not for a filibuster, it's basically DOA. Dick Durbin calls for up or down vote.

They are careful to not rule out a filibuster entirely, but kinda sorta saying that they won't.  They might be doing so to prevent the GOP from activating the nuclear option, so they can save the filibuster for when it's not a losing battle.

3 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

There are many good charter schools and many bad ones. The issue is that the standard of accountability is relatively low.

Over here, private schools and charter schools are two separate things.

The private/charter school thing is complicated.  I'd rather not go into detail, but just leave it at "it's complicated".  I think it also varies by state.

Edited by eclipse

So apparently a 5 year old boy was arrested and shackled in a airport in Dulles, Washington DC because he was considering a possible threat to national security. Is this story true? Or is it fake? I'm curious about this.

And seen some blaming Trump's muslim ban for this.

Edited by Water Mage

17 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

Yeah, in my area, the Catholic Schools were pretty good.  They were an option for poor families, since the Public Schools on the east side were pretty bad.  At one Catholic Grade school, almost all of the students aren't even Catholic, but go there anyway, because it's better than the alternative.

27 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

Just finished reading that via twitter! Very good article.

24 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

So apparently a 5 year old boy was arrested and shackled in a airport in Dulles, Washington DC because he was considering a possible threat to national security. Is this story true? Or is it fake? I'm curious about this.

A 5 year old boy was separated from his mother and *detained* at Dulles, yes. However, it doesn't appear that he was handcuffed, and the photo that is making the rounds is of a boy with learning disabilities who was handcuffed at a school in Kentucky in 2015.

45 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

http://www.snopes.com/small-child-handcuffed-at-dulles/

handcuffed? no. Plenty have been detained

48 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

For what it's worth, I will literally only believe the coup conspiracy when it happens. For now, Steve Bannon as the head of the NSC is harrowing at best and horrifying at worst.

EDIT: Reading through the article, it's kind of interesting how he attacks them for being of a non-political background, because their world is a different one to the world in which Donald Trump exists.

33 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Yeah, in my area, the Catholic Schools were pretty good.  They were an option for poor families, since the Public Schools on the east side were pretty bad.  At one Catholic Grade school, almost all of the students aren't even Catholic, but go there anyway, because it's better than the alternative.

Yeah, the thing is that I really don't understand the appeal of encouraging private school usage when the money could easily go to increasing the quality of our public schools and increasing the pay of teachers. This may be because I went to one of the best public high school areas in the country though.

Edited by Lord Raven

3 minutes ago, Res said:

A 5 year old boy was separated from his mother and *detained* at Dulles, yes. However, it doesn't appear that he was handcuffed, and the photo that is making the rounds is of a boy with learning disabilities who was handcuffed at a school in Kentucky in 2015.

Ah, I see. I did thought that story was by to weird. That's why I thought it could be fake. That being said, I've heard that the detained child was actually an american. Did they gave a reason at least? And the poor kid must have been terrified.

And handcuffing a child because of disabilities is shocking on it's own right. 

The abuse of children with learning disabilities in schools is probably far more prevalent than you realise, and it's another big reason why Betsy DeVos really shouldn't be secretary of education. 

27 minutes ago, Res said:

The abuse of children with learning disabilities in schools is probably far more prevalent than you realise, and it's another big reason why Betsy DeVos really shouldn't be secretary of education. 

Yeah, I know, but I didn't it was this bad. Unless the child was uncontrollable and brandishing a weapon such as a knife, there was no reason to handcuff the child. And besides what sort of school keeps handcuffs in the first place? Do they expect children to go crazy? Or is it common for american schools to have handcuffs?

Just now, Water Mage said:

Yeah, I know, but I didn't it was this bad. Unless the child was uncontrollable and brandishing a weapon such as a knife, there was no reason to handcuff the child. And besides what sort of school keeps handcuffs in the first place? Do they expect children to go crazy? Or is it common for american schools to have handcuffs?

Oh, I forgot you're not in the U.S. - sorry! Law enforcement (be it police, security guard - whatever) violence in the U.S. is simply more common and expected in general, I've found. The issues stem back to pioneer days; in the southern states, for example, the police force originated from the Slave Patrol. The police force was especially corrupt and brutal in the early 20th century, and it hasn't entirely escaped that legacy. 

5 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Ah, I see. I did thought that story was by to weird. That's why I thought it could be fake. That being said, I've heard that the detained child was actually an american. Did they gave a reason at least? And the poor kid must have been terrified.

And handcuffing a child because of disabilities is shocking on it's own right. 

There is a reason, kids could be a terrorism suspect.

kids.jpg

11 minutes ago, Res said:

Wow at this Arkansas abortion law. I have no words for how awful it is.

Every time I think the bottom of the barrel has been found, they manage to dig a little deeper. Wonder if the MRA's will be happy about this.

22 minutes ago, Res said:

Maybe it'll get overturned or amended (for better or worst) in the future. 

Edited by Raumata
added a word or two

1 hour ago, Res said:

While I do think the baby's father should have a say when it comes to abortion, allowing rapists to have a say is utterly ridiculous. Also, I don't think they should have a say when it affects the mother's health.

Edited by Water Mage

Hey, control your president ya shit-cunts! At least say g'day before having a go at us!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/no-gday-mate-on-call-with-australian-pm-trump-badgers-and-brags/2017/02/01/88a3bfb0-e8bf-11e6-80c2-30e57e57e05d_story.html?utm_term=.ef2cb9866223

Edited by The Blind Idiot God