General US Politics

Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

What did he do NOW? I assume Australia is involved?

Short version; it was a phone call from Trump to Turnball in which he acted like a shithead and hung up abruptly even though the call was scheduled for an hour.

13 minutes ago, The Blind Idiot God said:

Short version; it was a phone call from Trump to Turnball in which he acted like a shithead and hung up abruptly even though the call was scheduled for an hour.

He pissed off Mexico and China in phone calls in the same day, too. 

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

While I do think the baby's father should have a say when it comes to abortion, allowing rapists to have a say is utterly ridiculous. Also, I don't think they should have a say when it affects the mother's health.

Well, I assume it'd be too difficult to determine rape, especially as any woman isn't going to know she's pregnant until weeks later.

I know of two women last year who had abortions in the process of fleeing abusive marriages. In those cases it wasn't rape but having the father know would have been possibly extremely dangerous.

the best part about the australia thing is that after word got out in the press, instead of damage control he goes on twitter to complain about australia in public. 

i feel awful for laughing at the "bad hombres" thing because it's pretty horrible for international relations. 

Edited by Radiant head

8 minutes ago, Res said:

He pissed off Mexico and China in phone calls in the same day, too. 

Mhmm. He's treating international politics the same way he treats his real-estate deals and Celebrity Apprentice performances, which is appallingly stupid at best. The way he acts you'd think he actually believes the God-Emperor Trump crap. Save us Horus, you're our only hope!

Edited by The Blind Idiot God

1 hour ago, The Blind Idiot God said:

Mhmm. He's treating international politics the same way he treats his real-estate deals and Celebrity Apprentice performances, which is appallingly stupid at best. The way he acts you'd think he actually believes the God-Emperor Trump crap. Save us Horus, you're our only hope!

Yeah, how IS the US status looking for alliances right now? 

2 hours ago, Res said:

Well, I assume it'd be too difficult to determine rape, especially as any woman isn't going to know she's pregnant until weeks later.

I know of two women last year who had abortions in the process of fleeing abusive marriages. In those cases it wasn't rape but having the father know would have been possibly extremely dangerous.

To be fair, what I meant was some fathers might want to actually keep and raise the baby, so I believe their opinion shouldn't be ignored. 

And speaking of Trump, is it just me or is he even more pissed off at the media than usual? They're not treating any more different then before he became president.

Actually, doesn't Trump seems more pissed off in general? I think that being the actual president of the US is much different that what Trump thought being the president would be. And he's just realizing it now. 

3 hours ago, Water Mage said:

And speaking of Trump, is it just me or is he even more pissed off at the media than usual? They're not treating any more different then before he became president.

Actually, doesn't Trump seems more pissed off in general? I think that being the actual president of the US is much different that what Trump thought being the president would be. And he's just realizing it now. 

If he wanted to be president, he should've read up on what the president actually does and all the responsibilities and details that come with it. So if he didn't want to find out what he was actually running for, I have no sympathy for him if it's "too hard".

Turnbull has already suggested that in case the USA withdraw from TPP China could take its place instead. If that's what going to happen the role of the USA in the pacific would be severly compromised.

Trump being unable to communicate like a grown man surely won't help his case here.

Edited by Yojinbo

3 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

If he wanted to be president, he should've read up on what the president actually does and all the responsibilities and details that come with it. So if he didn't want to find out what he was actually running for, I have no sympathy for him if it's "too hard".

I agree, but to be fair, I think he's honestly just not used to the level of stress that comes with the job, and to be honest, it's not like his own work where he can just raise his arms bully someone into submission and then go about his day. The leaders of their countries have people to take care of and it makes them surprisingly more resilient to his words, and the media is kinda tearing him apart. Whether it be newspapers, televisions, or even word of mouth. And he didn't realize just how much attention the POTUS gets I think. You can't say anything without having someone tell their friends and family. 

I hate them too. As it if wasn't bad enough that they're a horde of violent crackpots, they're also casting a slur on an otherwise righteous cause. It's a huge disservice to all the people who are actually legitimately worried about the increasing tolerance towards fascist tendencies these days. Fuck those idiots, they're only making matters worse.

14 minutes ago, Yojinbo said:

I hate them too. As it if wasn't bad enough that they're a horde of violent crackpots, they're also casting a slur on an otherwise righteous cause. It's a huge disservice to all the people who are actually legitimately worried about the increasing tolerance towards fascist tendencies these days. Fuck those idiots, they're only making matters worse.

Liberals get the bullet too, comrade.

They're the communists who would gladly lynch anybody who disagrees with them in a public setting. One person has told me unironically that the gulags should be brought back into use.

27 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

yeah won't someone think of the poor windows and private property

That just means there's more work for city maintenance workers to do, because the rioters obviously aren't going to cleanup their mess afterwards. "We care about the community" my ass.

What really grinds my gears is  that I've watched some people get beat up in Berkeley. I also saw some people climb on top of a car and and pound on the driver's widows while the driver was driving. Not to mention the misuse of pepper spray.

4 minutes ago, Raumata said:

That just means there's more work for city maintenance workers to do, because the rioters obviously aren't going to cleanup their mess afterwards. "We care about the community" my ass.

What really grinds my gears is  that I've watched some people get beat up in Berkeley. I also saw some people climb on top of a car and and pound on the driver's widows while the driver was driving. Not to mention the misuse of pepper spray.

Geez. I knew it was bad, but that's ridiculous.

yeah somehow I can't really bring myself to be sad about smashed objects ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

milo is far right trash and Berkeley shouldn't be giving people like him a platform tbh 

Edited by Radiant head

19 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

yeah somehow I can't really bring myself to be sad about smashed objects ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

milo is far right trash and Berkeley shouldn't be giving people like him a platform tbh 

Well, it is the school's decision at the end of the day who they can let speak. There's always the internet if there's something you want to watch or read.

Do your feelings on far right, conservative, etc. ideas, extend to reading material based on said ideas?  

Should these ideas be allowed for people and the general public to be read in school libraries, classrooms, bookstores and public libraries?

You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I'm just being curious and want to know your thoughts.

I personally think history should not be forgotten and that we should always have text regarding a multitude of subjects available to the public.

Edited by Raumata
added a word or two

23 minutes ago, Raumata said:

Well, it is the school's decision at the end of the day who they can let speak. There's always the internet if there's something you want to watch or read.

Do your feelings on far right, conservative, etc. ideas, extend to reading material based on said ideas?  

Should these ideas be allowed for people and the general public to be read in school libraries, classrooms, bookstores and public libraries?

You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I'm just being curious and want to know your thoughts.

I personally think history should not be forgotten and that we should always have text regarding a multitude of subjects available to the public.

fair question! 

i think in this specific instance, we're talking about someone who outted a trans student at the university of wisconsin, ruining her life, and there were unverified concerns from berkeley that he was going to out undocumented immigrants and tear their families apart. 

and while milo himself might not be a fascist technically speaking, his following does include plenty of neo-nazis, which is pretty fucking alarming.  I know a protester was actually shot at one of his events (why does this get less publicity than rioting??).  now i think the rioters here went too far (pepper spraying a random woman with a maga hat is really stupid and counter productive) but at the end of the day no one was hurt and I generally don't agree with the liberal notion protests should be polite and not break anything.  sometimes you have to offend some middle class sensibilited to be heard. 

the whole point of fascism is that it leverages and exploits liberal tolerance until it has the power to dissolve it all together for anyone.  so I think people have the right to be angry and make it heard if berkeley made the wrong call that would endanger a lot of people 

Edited by Radiant head

3 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

fair question! 

i think in this specific instance, we're talking about someone who outted a trans student at the university of wisconsin, ruining her life, and there were unverified concerns from berkeley that he was going to out undocumented immigrants and tear their families apart. 

and while milo himself might not be a fascist technically speaking, his following does include plenty of neo-nazis, which is pretty fucking alarming.  I know a protester was actually shot at one of his events (why does this get less publicity than rioting??).  now i think the rioters here went too far (pepper spraying a random woman with a maga hat is really stupid and counter productive) but at the end of the day no one was hurt and I generally don't agree with the liberal notion protests should be polite and not break anything.  sometimes you have to offend some middle class sensibilited to be heard. 

the whole point of fascism is that it leverages and exploits liberal tolerance until it has the power to dissolve it all together for anyone.  so I think people have the right to be angry and make it heard if berkeley made the wrong call that would endanger a lot of people 

Thank you for the response. It's interesting to read things from another perspective.

yeah that's what I meant.  I did mention (and condemn) the pepper spray thing. 

i think there are cases where violence against people is justified, but this isn't one of them (from what I know of what happened exactly) 

19 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

yeah that's what I meant.  I did mention (and condemn) the pepper spray thing. 

i think there are cases where violence against people is justified, but this isn't one of them (from what I know of what happened exactly) 

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/is-it-ok-to-punch-a-nazi-leading-ethicists-weigh-in/

Here is one article where an ethicist gives their opinion. I hope you, and everyone else, finds it interesting.