General US Politics

Ansem

how is "self-sabotage" not enabling trump.  

the leaked emails confirmed their pied piper strategy to elevate trump, and they ran the one candidate that was validated all of trump's anti-establishment rhetoric. the reason why such a horrific person is in the White House is because the dems neutralized actual safe guards that would prevent this type of thing 

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

I firmly believe the only way to really fix the system is to continue to vote Democrat until an actual leftist party comes in, and then we have a mix of left and right economic platforms as opposed to right and far-right. Sadly, incremental progress is a bitch.

There would be another Red Scare before actual liberals would be accepted into Congress in any capacity. Combining Baby Boomers, Gen X, and older millennials that were subject to the Cold War (their enemies being "leftists"), and the rise of jingoism in the right, anything left of center would be the topic of much controversy at the very least. Hell, it could be a whole half-century before actual progressive parties become a thing. Sadly, the only thing I can think of to end both parties is to legislate them into oblivion, which is illegal in and of itself due to it involving the total destruction of the First Amendment.

older millennials were too young to really care about the cold war, baby boomers are dying out and gen X seems really ambivalent to everything anyway

at any rate, i'm not saying this will happen in the next decade or two, that's why it's incremental

there's not going to be some inevitable generational shift of the party to the left. like millenials might prefer more left-wing candidates, but there's no substitute for actually fighting structures of power that maintain the status quo.  people have to independently organize on the grassroots and build coalitions of political power.

8 hours ago, Radiant head said:

how is "self-sabotage" not enabling trump.  

the leaked emails confirmed their pied piper strategy to elevate trump, and they ran the one candidate that was validated all of trump's anti-establishment rhetoric. the reason why such a horrific person is in the White House is because the dems neutralized actual safe guards that would prevent this type of thing 

You missed the part where I said 'inadvertent self-sabotage'. They weren't thinking about validating Trump and deliberately choosing a candidate that he could beat, they were thinking about getting their preferred candidate the nomination. To be more clear, the word 'enable' carries a level of willing aid or transference of authority. If the Dems were doing everything in their power to help Trump get this legislation through, that's enabling. If the Dems are trying to stop him, but are doing a shit job of it, that isn't enabling, they're just bad at playing the role of opposition.

4 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Sometimes you've just got to know what you're voting for. I've seen similar stories about people that stand to lose their healthcare with the GOP "replacement".

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/wife-now-regrets-supporting-trump-after-husband-set-to-be-deported/

Anyway, what do you guys think of the mess with Nunes?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-transition-members-surveillance-devin-nunes-barack-obama-administration-hearing-a7644431.html

1 hour ago, The Blind Idiot God said:

You missed the part where I said 'inadvertent self-sabotage'. They weren't thinking about validating Trump and deliberately choosing a candidate that he could beat, they were thinking about getting their preferred candidate the nomination. To be more clear, the word 'enable' carries a level of willing aid or transference of authority. If the Dems were doing everything in their power to help Trump get this legislation through, that's enabling. If the Dems are trying to stop him, but are doing a shit job of it, that isn't enabling, they're just bad at playing the role of opposition.

yeah but I don't think that's what the word means 

43 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

yeah but I don't think that's what the word means 

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/enable

I guess I'm just putting more emphasis on the word 'give' than you are. Like I said, to me the word implies a level of willing transference, encouragement or deliberate ignorance. 

i don't read it that way. but in any case, this is now semantics; you know what i mean. they're are equally bad, practically speaking, for different reasons (ie, i think they're both equally responsible for impeding progress as a nation).

on the question of who is worse in terms of tactics used, etc., repubs take it hands down.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

On 3/24/2017 at 5:36 PM, Phoenix Wright said:

i don't read it that way. but in any case, this is now semantics; you know what i mean. they're are equally bad, practically speaking, for different reasons (ie, i think they're both equally responsible for impeding progress as a nation).

on the question of who is worse in terms of tactics used, etc., repubs take it hands down.

Perhaps, but in the same way that 15 + 5 = 20.

And as for the bottom part, that's all I was arguing for. I don't like the 'both sides are equally awful' argument because, while one side might be bad, the other side is much worse.

I hate the "both sides are equally awful" argument when it comes to deciding about who to vote for.

Anyway,

I'm pretty sure the whole thing is fake, but it's still fucking hilarious.

On 3/24/2017 at 2:36 AM, Phoenix Wright said:

yeah, while it's dishonest to argue that literally both sides are equally bad (esp. when it's from people who think both sides are too extreme left/right and the correct answer is somewhere in the middle), the democrats are absolutely equally complacent in how fucked up the system is at its root, and weaponize their status as "lesser evil" so that they don't have to actually do anything to please their voters.  

after seeing these trump people constantly trip over their dicks and failing to repeal obamacare and pass their muslim bans, i'm convinced we might be living in the best case scenario right now.  i would bet hillary winning in 2020, would have just lead to someone worse but smoother than trump. 

4 hours ago, Sage of Ylisse said:

Am I the only one who has a lukewarm opinion on Trump. I may not like the man too much but I certainly don't hate him either. Though I do have to agree that Paul Ryan is a dunce.

the only thing good about trump so far is that it's clear the repub. party isn't just gonna be his bitch, which is refreshing. my opinions on the trump presidency are softer than my opinions on trump, the man. 

3 hours ago, Radiant head said:

yeah, while it's dishonest to argue that literally both sides are equally bad (esp. when it's from people who think both sides are too extreme left/right and the correct answer is somewhere in the middle), the democrats are absolutely equally complacent in how fucked up the system is at its root, and weaponize their status as "lesser evil" so that they don't have to actually do anything to please their voters.  

after seeing these trump people constantly trip over their dicks and failing to repeal obamacare and pass their muslim bans, i'm convinced we might be living in the best case scenario right now.  i would bet hillary winning in 2020, would have just lead to someone worse but smoother than trump. 

oh dear god do i hate that too

5 hours ago, Radiant head said:

I was talking to someone who described Trump as a vaccine to this kind of thing, since he's a relatively small injection of everything wrong with many subsets of our country that could lead to people waking up immune to it. For another 50 years.

12 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

I was talking to someone who described Trump as a vaccine to this kind of thing, since he's a relatively small injection of everything wrong with many subsets of our country that could lead to people waking up immune to it. For another 50 years.

...do I say it?

...do I REALLY say it?

...fuck it I'll say it.

Unfortunately, it seems the anti vaccers might be right in this case.

1 hour ago, blah the Prussian said:

...do I say it?

...do I REALLY say it?

...fuck it I'll say it.

Unfortunately, it seems the anti vaccers might be right in this case.

So what your saying is Trump's going to give us all autism?

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

. . .please don't.

Yeah, that was pretty tasteless. Sorry.

Anyway, here's a thing I thought was interesting:
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/24/15054446/gop-health-bill-ahca

I can imagine that with Trump at the helm of a GOP that has spent the last eight years basing it's entire strategy around refusing to compromise, constant criticism and creating a heavily-bias and dishonest media bubble, they're not going to adapt well as a leader party.

Edited by The Blind Idiot God

funny enough, i was reading an article that argues that's an insufficient explanation for the gop's failure to govern. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/24/opinion/sunday/the-gops-existential-crisis.html?_r=0

The problem with these explanations, which many of Mr. Trump’s liberal critics have embraced, is that they stop at the personalities and policies, the misplaced priorities and tactics, of the current Republican Party. But the confusion and incoherence over health care reflect a deeper impasse on the right, one that will dog it no matter where it goes next — whether it’s a new assault on Obamacare, cutting popular federal programs and agencies, or many of the other major planks in the Republican agenda.

Now the movement’s problem is the opposite of when it was in its ascendancy. Its leaders may control all the elected branches of the federal government, as the Republicans do now and as the Democrats did under Jimmy Carter, and many of the state governments, but they no longer control or set the terms of political debate as much as they once did. Their power in government conceals their slipping hold on public legitimacy.

whole thing is worth reading, but basically the gop is on the losing side of popular opinion on healthcare, and all the power in government won't change that.  

Edited by Radiant head

• 2 weeks later...