General US Politics

Ansem

I think Trump would have a genuine shot against Sanders as well, to be fair. Sanders is far left of most Americans and I think Trump can more easily shift left for the general election while Bernie shifting right is unlikely. I'm iffy about Bernie's popularity with some minority groups as well. It's not as visible currently because Iowa and New Hampshire are very white, but if he struggles in a state like Nevada that would be worrisome.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. My basic point was that, loathe as I am to say it, I don't think Trump would fare as badly in a general election as I've heard people predict. I just used Hillary as an example because she is still the likely Democratic nominee. The advantage I can see Bernie having over her against Trump is that he is not as easy to hit on charges of corruption or inconsistency, but of course he comes with his own set of weaknesses to exploit. The only way I see him being nominated now anyway is winning both Iowa and New Hampshire to build up momentum, and even that may not be enough.

Edited by TheCosmicDude

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, those are the Paulheads. God.

They're not young enough to know what anime even is.

EDIT: Bernie can get the same momentum Obama got, imo - remember he was behind Clinton for a good amount of time before the primaries and I recall Clinton pulling out a win in New Hampshire.

Edited by Crysta

Top notch programming from MSNBC. Even punditry should have higher standards than virgin jokes.

No, those are Fire Emblem fans. Naga.

I was never overly fond of Paul's non approach to foreign affairs, but by the standards of right of center populism he was a far more serious choice than Donald Trump. It would be fair to say that Bernie Sanders is the left wing equivalent of Ron Paul. They employ many of the same online campaign tactics (Bernie took some notes) and even have a slightly overlapping audience with respect to opposition to large banks, corporatism, and war.

If he turns out to be a really inert president then it's also fine because a bad president will make us change. We will change and come up with something to fix the problem (hopefully). It's like how vaccine works, by injecting the weakened microbes, we will force our body to develop an immune system so that when we are hit by something serious, our body will know what to do (hopefully).

One of the many issues I have with Trump is with his fanbase, and their treatment of non-whites. My race hasn't come up. . .so far. All they need is some dumb reason for why China is bad, and I'm in a pickle. The kicker is that I'm not even Chinese, but I doubt they'll care.

They're not young enough to know what anime even is.

EDIT: Bernie can get the same momentum Obama got, imo - remember he was behind Clinton for a good amount of time before the primaries and I recall Clinton pulling out a win in New Hampshire.

I also want Sander to win. I honestly believe that Sander can and will defeat Trump easily but if it's Hilary vs Trump then I will support Trump. There are so many things I disagree with Hilary and her policy. The more she talks, the more I want her to shut up. No, I dont want to see a female president. I want to see a good president no matter if the president is an Asian, a black, a Latina, a cheese cake, a man, a woman or a dog or a cat.

Sanders's policy on ISIS is terrible, however. I don't see how anyone could expect the other Middle East nations to actually go and deal with ISIS.

The quotes from feelthebern about Sanders's stance on ISIS mention in particular Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Qatar. I see a really weak point to Kuwait, which only applies shariah law to muslims, but Saudi Arabia and Qatar are strongly reactionary Islam places-they ideologically align with ISIS, ffs.

I would compare it to letting the Soviets beat the Nazis on their own. I definitely would not trust the Saudis to make the Middle East a pleasant place to live after the fall of ISIS. I favor a personal union of Iraq, Syria, and Jordan, myself.

One of the many issues I have with Trump is with his fanbase, and their treatment of non-whites. My race hasn't come up. . .so far. All they need is some dumb reason for why China is bad, and I'm in a pickle. The kicker is that I'm not even Chinese, but I doubt they'll care.

The amount of his stuff that's made in China should hopefully mean you're okay, I mean it's not like politicians have an existing track record for being dishonest hypocrites, especially Trump right?

That is it. It turns out I am a Trump supporter. How about you guys?

No, it's not a symmetric relation, A->B doesn't mean B->A. so being a trump fan->masturbates to anime, but masturbates to anime-/> Trump fan.

Like how all Yews are trees, but not all trees are yews

The amount of his stuff that's made in China should hopefully mean you're okay, I mean it's not like politicians have an existing track record for being dishonest hypocrites, especially Trump right?

Dunno how long that's going to keep up. I heard that some operations are moving southeast.

Sanders's policy on ISIS is terrible, however. I don't see how anyone could expect the other Middle East nations to actually go and deal with ISIS.

The quotes from feelthebern about Sanders's stance on ISIS mention in particular Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Qatar. I see a really weak point to Kuwait, which only applies shariah law to muslims, but Saudi Arabia and Qatar are strongly reactionary Islam places-they ideologically align with ISIS, ffs.

To be fair, the way the Obama administration has handled Syria has been a disaster, and every other candidate's ideas on ISIS are beyond laughable, whether it's the GOP carpet bombing or Clinton's No Fly Zone that's barely better. You can't really trust these countries, but putting pressure on them to use their vast military resources to clean up their own mess as opposed to the US fucking up the region for the millionth time is as good an option as any.

To be fair, the way the Obama administration has handled Syria has been a disaster, and every other candidate's ideas on ISIS are beyond laughable, whether it's the GOP carpet bombing or Clinton's No Fly Zone that's barely better. You can't really trust these countries, but putting pressure on them to use their vast military resources to clean up their own mess as opposed to the US fucking up the region for the millionth time is as good an option as any.

How would YOU handle Syria? Not as an insult, but I think that region is a giant mess, and I'd love to see how other people would deal with it.

I also want Sander to win. I honestly believe that Sander can and will defeat Trump easily but if it's Hilary vs Trump then I will support Trump. There are so many things I disagree with Hilary and her policy. The more she talks, the more I want her to shut up. No, I dont want to see a female president. I want to see a good president no matter if the president is an Asian, a black, a Latina, a cheese cake, a man, a woman or a dog or a cat.

I dunno, I think Hilary is a shit candidate too but at least she seems to mostly be Sander's yes-woman if the debates are anything to go by.

This is partially the IS's mess, though. How do we expect to be trusted by our allies if we say "clean up your own mess" the instant thigs get marginally difficult?

I didn't know our relationship with Saudi Arabia was based on trust.

I'm not talking about Saudi Arabia, I'm talking about decent countries like Jordan, or Iraq, who might as well be our protectorate.

bloomberg might run as an independent, thoughts?

i think he'll sap away votes from whoever gets the democratic nomination which im not too fond of because i would like to see obamacare last longer so that more data on it could be produced to see whether it is a boon or vice for the country.

I fail to see what pressure the US can put upon other Middle Eastern countries outside of outright threatening to group them alongside ISIS as enemies of the country (Which would just give the US another country to liberate), and trade restrictions aren't likely to work against the Middle Eastern countries of authoritarian government-the ruling group likely has more than enough money to not give a damn.

Carpet bombing 1) works if you do it extensively enough, and 2) leaves a very clear message, 3) does not damage any of the US's relationships (Which putting pressure is likely to do).

I don't know what a good solution to the Middle East is, but I don't think (American) ground troops or a no-fly zone are the answer. Hillary's track record with Libya says enough.

As for Bloomberg, yeah he'd likely sap votes from the Democratic candidate; particularly in New York. Bloomberg is incredibly strict on stuff like gun control, so no Republican would vote for him.

Heck, Bloomberg could probably take New York, and that would definitely hurt the Democrats.