Jump to content
Navv

General US Politics

Poll  

315 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you vote a third party?

    • Yes
      101
    • No
      130
    • Maybe
      84
  2. 2. Are you content with the results of the election?

    • Yes
      59
    • No
      134
    • Indifferent
      51


Recommended Posts

Within one week of the incident. We're making good time these days. No, I don't think the threat of nazis is over, but kicking out the biggest man in the white house that validates their ideologies is a victory I will take. Now about Gorka...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah not even Arizona likes the guy so what are the optics he was going for? "I hate immigrants, he hates immigrants, let's beat each other's dicks"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Mortarion said:

Unfortunately he decided to do this in the middle of hurricane Harvey's rampage so news outlets and many people in the affected areas will have their hands full.

Sebastian Gorka recently resigned too.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/controversial-trump-adviser-sebastian-gorka-leaves-white-house/story?id=49427323

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/08/2017 at 3:26 AM, Lord Raven said:

i always thought the alt-left was a white middle class dude who voted for bernie sanders and donald trump

you know, the fuck it i worked for everything i have and im not privileged type

it could be, I've heard that around 12% of Sanders supporters went on to vote for Trump - but this ignores the fact that many of them were actually registered Republicans previously, so they obviously felt that there was some overlap despite the party affiliation

still, it is most likely used more for what I was saying according to the Washington Post - okay it is an opinion piece but still gives details (incognito mode for no paywall):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2017/08/17/the-alt-right-didnt-invent-alt-left-liberals-did/?utm_term=.4c24cd04e9f2

 

back when trump was elected even though it should have been obvious to see the type of person he is I could at least understand on some level why someone may support him. when the united states government seems preoccupied on avoiding the needs of its people for years it's no real surprise that people didn't like the system and someone who is likely to blow it up may seem appealing to some degree

i can't understand anyone who supports him after seven months of this shit. it's not even that he's anti-establishment, because he's clearly continuing the status quo while also sprinkling in other unnecessary shit that isn't radically changing anything. not one trump supporter has been able to make a lengthy and legitimate case for what good trump is done that i've seen and I don't even understand what the game plan is. it's clear to see there isn't ever going to be a compromise, either

Edited by Tryhard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2017 at 8:55 PM, Tryhard said:

it could be, I've heard that around 12% of Sanders supporters went on to vote for Trump - but this ignores the fact that many of them were actually registered Republicans previously, so they obviously felt that there was some overlap despite the party affiliation

still, it is most likely used more for what I was saying according to the Washington Post - okay it is an opinion piece but still gives details (incognito mode for no paywall):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2017/08/17/the-alt-right-didnt-invent-alt-left-liberals-did/?utm_term=.4c24cd04e9f2

 

back when trump was elected even though it should have been obvious to see the type of person he is I could at least understand on some level why someone may support him. when the united states government seems preoccupied on avoiding the needs of its people for years it's no real surprise that people didn't like the system and someone who is likely to blow it up may seem appealing to some degree

i can't understand anyone who supports him after seven months of this shit. it's not even that he's anti-establishment, because he's clearly continuing the status quo while also sprinkling in other unnecessary shit that isn't radically changing anything. not one trump supporter has been able to make a lengthy and legitimate case for what good trump is done that i've seen and I don't even understand what the game plan is. it's clear to see there isn't ever going to be a compromise, either

The 35% still supporting Trump at this point are the single-issue voters who think [insert Republican nightmare-fuel here] is the single biggest threat to the country, and will ignore everything else about the man to support Him so long as he crudely and bombastically speaks to their fears on the issue in ways that other politicians are not quite cynical or shameless enough to speak. Immigration and the boogeyman of "globalism" is still the big hook, by the look of it. We'll see what happens if he actually tries to force a government shutdown to fund that wall Mexico was supposed to "pay" for.

Edited by Shoblongoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

The 35% still supporting Trump at this point are the single-issue voters who think [insert Republican nightmare-fuel here] is the single biggest threat to the country, and will ignore everything else about the man to support Him so long as he crudely and bombastically speaks to their fears on the issue in ways that other politicians are not quite cynical or shameless enough to speak. Immigration and the boogeyman of "globalism" is still the big hook, by the look of it. We'll see what happens if he actually tries to force a government shutdown to fund that wall Mexico was supposed to "pay" for.

That's part of it, but there's also the fact that right-wing media outlets are:

a) Significantly under-reporting all the shit things he does.

b) Spinning things so that things that are going well are attributed to him i.e. posts and articles praising him for how good the economy is/was doing at the time, even though that would've been off the back of Obama's policies.

And let's not forget the cult of personality that are just gonna support him no matter what he does and attribute everything he does to playing Paradox-Billards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mortarion said:

And let's not forget the cult of personality that are just gonna support him no matter what he does and attribute everything he does to playing Paradox-Billards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker.

Hey now--narcissism and excessive pride is the work of Slaaneshi degenerates. Don't you go blaming this mess on Tzeentch.

ON TOPIC: I think right wing media is more of an echo chamber that circle-jerks the guys who are already in bed with Trump than a persuasive outlet. 

Like the guys tuning into Limbaugh and Hannity are the guys already of a mind that liberals are cancer, everything bad about Trump is liberal propaganda, and the fact that there's so many negative stories about him is proof he's making America great again because "the liberals" wouldn't be making up so many bad stories about the guy if he wasn't threatening their evil liberal plans to take away your jobs and raise your taxes and give the country over to immigrants and welfare babies.

They just tune in to hear their views regurgitated back to them by someone whose supposed to be so smart and insightful and in-the-know that they get paid millions of dollars for their political commentary.  Its a form of mental masturbation. 

But they're not convincing people not already in their camp to cross-over. 
 

Edited by Shoblongoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Hey now--narcissism and excessive pride is the work of Slaaneshi degenerates. Don't you go blaming this mess on Tzeentch.

Have you seen his supporters? If they aren't Nurgle worshipers, I'll take an antibiotic bath...

8 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

ON TOPIC: I think right wing media is more of an echo chamber that circle-jerks the guys who are already in bed with Trump than a persuasive outlet. 

Like the guys tuning into Limbaugh and Hannity are the guys already of a mind that liberals are cancer, everything bad about Trump is liberal propaganda, and the fact that there's so many negative stories about him is proof he's making America great again because "the liberals" wouldn't be making up so many bad stories about the guy if he wasn't threatening their evil liberal plans to take away your jobs and raise your taxes and give the country over to immigrants and welfare babies.

They just tune in to hear their views regurgitated back to them by someone whose supposed to be so smart and insightful and in-the-know that they get paid millions of dollars for their political commentary.  Its a form of mental masturbation. 

But they're not convincing people not already in their camp to cross-over. 
 

It doesn't have to be persuasive anymore. The target communities have believed that Fox News and the various podcasts are the only truthful news outlets and that everything else is filthy Kosher librul lies for years. They don't have to be anything more than propaganda reinforcing the illusion.

They don't have to convince people to cross over either. The only purpose of them is to hold onto the rural and evangelical communities, who I think it's fair to say is the only demographic keeping the GOP relevant. It's a self-perpetuating thing to, the people who thing Fox News are the only trustworthy news sources are going to stay in-line with the community consensus and the children they have are going to grow up surrounded by this bullshit.

Oh, and since I'm obligated to say it every time, #FuckMurdoch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Like the guys tuning into Limbaugh and Hannity are the guys already of a mind that liberals are cancer, everything bad about Trump is liberal propaganda, and the fact that there's so many negative stories about him is proof he's making America great again because "the liberals" wouldn't be making up so many bad stories about the guy if he wasn't threatening their evil liberal plans to take away your jobs and raise your taxes and give the country over to immigrants and welfare babies.

They just tune in to hear their views regurgitated back to them by someone whose supposed to be so smart and insightful and in-the-know that they get paid millions of dollars for their political commentary.  Its a form of mental masturbation. 

But they're not convincing people not already in their camp to cross-over. 
 

I don't think it's liberal propaganda. The bad things about Trump are obvious to anyone with a brain, and they go far beyond any massaging of racist groups or politically incorrect tweets. To give you an example, I would not trust any person with an entrepeneurial background like Trump's, as he's far more likely to treat running the country as an enterprise rather than a state. When it comes to my rights as a citizen, I'd rather not let my country be run by someone whose first consideration when evaluating anything will be its cost to the state. His complete political ineptitude is just the icing on the cake.

But, like I said countless times in this thread, what made Trump rise to glory was the increasing radicalism in American politics as well as the fact Hillary Clinton was a horribly weak candidate. The former is not only the white supremacist and neonazi groups' fault... The brand of leftist radicalism that scores major points in NY and LA has the complete opposite effect in other parts of the country, and the Democrats made the fatal mistake of underestimating this rebound effect. In fact, they still do, which makes me doubt they'll be able to capitalize on Trump's endless blunders, as the Republicans might not let Trump run for president again anyway.

Edited by Skynstein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2017 at 2:34 AM, Shoblongoo said:

The 35% still supporting Trump at this point are the single-issue voters who think [insert Republican nightmare-fuel here] is the single biggest threat to the country, and will ignore everything else about the man to support Him so long as he crudely and bombastically speaks to their fears on the issue in ways that other politicians are not quite cynical or shameless enough to speak. Immigration and the boogeyman of "globalism" is still the big hook, by the look of it. We'll see what happens if he actually tries to force a government shutdown to fund that wall Mexico was supposed to "pay" for.

Dude, you gotta stop with the generalizations.

I live with someone who thinks Trump is doing a good job.  He can't name why, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, eclipse said:

I live with someone who thinks Trump is doing a good job.  He can't name why, though.

Where do they get there news from? If it's a right-wing news source, odds are that they're getting a really biased account of things.

EDIT: It never ends

Edited by Mortarion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, eclipse said:

Dude, you gotta stop with the generalizations.

I live with someone who thinks Trump is doing a good job.  He can't name why though.

...my boss is a Trump supporter. My dad is a Trump supporter. My uncle is a Trump supporter. All concede and acknowledge that Trump is a terrible person and that his conduct in office is a national embarrassment. Pressed why they continue to support him, they all say something to the effect of well I DO agree that we need to be tougher on illegal immigrants and respect our police and stop letting these black lives matter thugs loot and riot. And why does half my paycheck go to the inner cities to pay for people  who want to drop out of school, get pregnant, and do drugs? That's what's wrong with this country. I work so hard for my money and the government doesn't care about me; they only care about people who are looking for a handout. "I support Donald Trump because he's right on the issues that matter most to me and all that other stuff just isn't as important." Coax a more complete answer out of your roommate and I suspect you'll hear something to this effect. I also suspect you'll find your roommate has some rather--colorful--views on major issues.

Edited by Shoblongoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mortarion said:

Where do they get there news from? If it's a right-wing news source, odds are that they're getting a really biased account of things.

EDIT: It never ends

Honestly? It wouldn't matter.  This is the same winner of a person that boos Obama's name.

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

...my boss is a Trump supporter. My dad is a Trump supporter. My uncle is a Trump supporter. All concede and acknowledge that Trump is a terrible person and that his conduct in office is a national embarrassment. Pressed why they continue to support him, they all say something to the effect of well I DO agree that we need to be tougher on illegal immigrants and respect our police and stop letting these black lives matter thugs loot and riot. And why does half my paycheck go to the inner cities to pay for people  who want to drop out of school, get pregnant, and do drugs? That's what's wrong with this country. I work so hard for my money and the government doesn't care about me; they only care about people who are looking for a handout. "I support Donald Trump because he's right on the issues that matter most to me and all that other stuff just isn't as important." Coax a more complete answer out of your roommate and I suspect you'll hear something to this effect. I also suspect you'll find your roommate has some rather--colorful--views on major issues.

Mine doesn't give a shit.  Trump could molest a kid, and this guy would still think that Trump is the best thing ever.

Yes, I asked him why.  My response was "because".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't really doubt that a lot of people who support trump are at ease with contradiction. politics is a sport where no-one wants to admit they were wrong. i wouldn't really be surprised if Trump ends up being another George W Bush in that you will struggle to find people who say they support him in 2007, 2008 - many also refusing to say they ever supported him even though they did.

here was an interesting video from a focus group of trump voters from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania being one of the key states that decided the election

Edited by Tryhard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eclipse said:

Honestly? It wouldn't matter.  This is the same winner of a person that boos Obama's name.

So...Fox News, Breitbart, /pol/, and maybe American Renaissance. Gotcha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, eclipse said:

Honestly? It wouldn't matter.  This is the same winner of a person that boos Obama's name.

Mine doesn't give a shit.  Trump could molest a kid, and this guy would still think that Trump is the best thing ever.

Yes, I asked him why.  My response was "because".

Behind the curt "because" is an unspoken "for reasons I'm not entirely comfortable discussing."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Behind the curt "because" is an unspoken "for reasons I'm not entirely comfortable discussing."

Please tell me how you know this guy better than me.

Otherwise, please keep comments like this to yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dandee Leone said:

So what are Trump's impeachment chances looking like?

Sadly, still very low. As long as the Congress is Republican, this Dadatopia will continue. That's what the current government is: absurd. Not insane, not stupid, absurd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...