General US Politics

Ansem

On 9/15/2018 at 2:31 PM, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Weren't the charges on that trial that got 8/18 convictions at the federal level and not state? I would imagine that if it were state level, that would've been explicitly stated and the pardon wouldn't have been talked about in the aftermath of that trial.

If the convictions are indeed federal crimes, technically speaking, there's nothing stopping Trump from issuing the pardon. You have Republicans and other folks telling Trump not to do it because it is suicide and grounds for impeachment... Republicans can say this but will they actually do it? Probably depends on what McConnel and Ryan say.

As I understand it, getting a pardon makes you guilty of whatever acts you're being pardoned on, so if there's anything related to those convictions that could be tried on a state level, he'd still be screwed. More importantly, however, it would mean that anything he was convicted on that Trump was involved with becomes more of a done deal to be used against Trump himself.

In other news, a friend of mine showed me this midterm ad. Seems like standard fare, but watch it all the way to the end because the twist is worth it:

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goddamn, it'd be pretty amazing if the guy could win after that.

I'm guessing Breitbart, Fox News and other Right-wing media hides the fact that Russia state TV often talks about Trump like they're on his team and he's a Russian agent. Seriously, what need did the Russia State TV have to defend him on Stormy Daniels' comments?

On ā€Ž22ā€Ž-ā€Ž9ā€Ž-ā€Ž2018 at 4:48 AM, Johann said:

As I understand it, getting a pardon makes you guilty of whatever acts you're being pardoned on, so if there's anything related to those convictions that could be tried on a state level, he'd still be screwed. More importantly, however, it would mean that anything he was convicted on that Trump was involved with becomes more of a done deal to be used against Trump himself.

In other news, a friend of mine showed me this midterm ad. Seems like standard fare, but watch it all the way to the end because the twist is worth it:

This is correct. If you're pardoned you're assumed guilty and waive your right not to incriminate yourself on the matter you got pardoned for.Ā 

I believe it also means you have to cooperate with investigations surrounding the thing you got pardoned for, so Manafort getting that could simply not be beneficial to Trump.

On 9/21/2018 at 7:48 PM, Johann said:

Dear Naga. The politician they are bagging on sounds like a real asshole if his family is shitting on him.

Or maybe the current polarization divided his family so maybe he might be a decent guy, but based on what his family are saying about him, he seems more likely to be the asshole. I will have to look him up though to make sure though.

Just read his Wikipedia article and he definitely isĀ a Trumpet douchebag. He wanted to give away land sacred to the Apache to a mining company and he is bigoted towards Muslims.

Edited by XRay

7 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Big Yikes. Anyone who shits on Native Americans gets a definite hard pass for me. This isn't the 19th century, people.

It takes a habitual sadist to look at Natives nowadays and go "Hm. Yeah, these people definitely have it too good."

It's impossible to support those kinds of people purely on principle. It basically telegraphs a complete lack of morals.

Edited by Slumber

Although they may say various things about policies in the ads, seems like that wasn't exactly the start of it:

"Last October, seven of Gosarā€™s siblings penned a biting letter to the editor in the Kingman Daily Miner to denounce their brother for peddling a conspiracy theory that billionaire George Soros had funded the deadly white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. Gosar also suggested that the rally was actually orchestrated by the left.

ā€œThis is a matter of right and wrong, not politics,ā€ his siblings wrote. ā€œWe are aghast that Paul has sunk so low that he now spews the most despicable slander against an 87-year-old man without a shred of proof, and then doesnā€™t even have the guts or decency to apologize?ā€'

Edited by Edgelord

Trump does not realize world leaders are laughing at how stupid he is. We are now officially the laughing stock of the world. You cannot get any more official thanĀ being ridiculed at the United Nations.

Sad! MAGA!

Edited by XRay

33 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

Oh, I had assumed that we were the laughing stock of the world when he was elected. I suppose it's official now.

We were the laughing stock, it just was not official yet until the world laughs at us at the United Nations.

Of course we are as we deserve to be.Ā  In a democracy we elected a buffoon who represents thatĀ negative American stereotype.Ā  Fat, lazy, dumb.Ā  He spends more time on the golf course than doing his job, and his intelligence.

Yeah and native americans have been screwed over more than anyone else in America's history and repeatedly.Ā  Having everything taken away from them, and slaughtered to the point where there are such a tiny population living in poverty on whatever crappy land the US government didn't want cause it is useless.Ā  Anyone who wants to screw them more is the worst scum and hopefully gets what they deserve.

7 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Yeah and native americans have been screwed over more than anyone else in America's history and repeatedly.Ā  Having everything taken away from them, and slaughtered to the point where there are such a tiny population living in poverty on whatever crappy land the US government didn't want cause it is useless.Ā  Anyone who wants to screw them more is the worst scum and hopefully gets what they deserve.

I do not think this is confidential information, but I will keep it vague just in case.

My organization that I am currently working under assists rural Indian communities and reservations with healthcare. We had an organization wide meeting a few days ago and our CEO told us that they were not able to lobby the current administration (I am not sure if they meant Congress or White House, but since Republicans control both, the distinction might not matter) to secure some funding for the services we provide. In simple terms, the Republicans are basically cutting back on social spending.

I am not Native American, so I am not sure if I am explaining or understanding this correctly, so take the following paragraph with a grain of salt.

I heard the CEO mentioned that previous administrations (i.e.: U.S. government) treated tribal governments as sovereign entities. However, the current administration does not see tribal governments that way anymore and it sees them as racial organizations (e.g.: NAACP) rather than as actual governments. While I do not understand the full extent of what the CEO said, I get the feeling that it is a huge sign of disrespect and there are probably a lot cultural friction going on. Sovereignty is a big issue for Native Americans, so although we are primarily funded by federal money, get federal employee surveys, and our vehicles have government license plates, we are actually a non profit organization rather than a government agency, which is a little strange when I first found out. I do not really understand why we are that way, but I assume it is out of respect for Indian sovereignty so it does not look like they are too dependent on the U.S. government for help.

So yeah, long story short, my organization might not be able to secure enough funding from the federal government, and I think cultural friction might be one factor.

27 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

I guess that is what it means to be a Trump employee. You just have to keep stroking his ego with tweezersĀ and tell everyone it is the bigliest one in the world, despite being it being tiny.

I think Haley and Sanders deserve a better president. The shit Sanders has to say and go through to take the some of the flak off Trump is impressive. I think Haley has it slightly better, since she is not doing it everyday in front of the public, but her audience are other world leaders so the stakes are higher.

2 hours ago, XRay said:

I think Haley and Sanders deserve a better president. The shit Sanders has to say and go through to take the some of the flak off Trump is impressive. I think Haley has it slightly better, since she is not doing it everyday in front of the public, but her audience are other world leaders so the stakes are higher.

If you mean Sarah Huckabee Sanders and her family, they deserve Trump.

22 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

If you mean Sarah Huckabee Sanders and her family, they deserve Trump.

Really? I thought she was just some unlucky but super loyal employee.

12 hours ago, XRay said:

I do not think this is confidential information, but I will keep it vague just in case.

My organization that I am currently working under assists rural Indian communities and reservations with healthcare. We had an organization wide meeting a few days ago and our CEO told us that they were not able to lobby the current administration (I am not sure if they meant Congress or White House, but since Republicans control both, the distinction might not matter) to secure some funding for the services we provide. In simple terms, the Republicans are basically cutting back on social spending.

I am not Native American, so I am not sure if I am explaining or understanding this correctly, so take the following paragraph with a grain of salt.

I heard the CEO mentioned that previous administrations (i.e.: U.S. government) treated tribal governments as sovereign entities. However, the current administration does not see tribal governments that way anymore and it sees them as racial organizations (e.g.: NAACP) rather than as actual governments. While I do not understand the full extent of what the CEO said, I get the feeling that it is a huge sign of disrespect and there are probably a lot cultural friction going on. Sovereignty is a big issue for Native Americans, so although we are primarily funded by federal money, get federal employee surveys, and our vehicles have government license plates, we are actually a non profit organization rather than a government agency, which is a little strange when I first found out. I do not really understand why we are that way, but I assume it is out of respect for Indian sovereignty so it does not look like they are too dependent on the U.S. government for help.

So yeah, long story short, my organization might not be able to secure enough funding from the federal government, and I think cultural friction might be one factor.

I did not know about that.Ā  Sovereignty is huge for native americans and that is hugely disrespectful and just flat out wrong.Ā  I encourage anyone who is dumb enough to support Trump to investigate into what he has done as president, what bills, executive orders, budget cuts, etc.Ā  Might be hard since many of them are likely illiterate, but for those that can actually read if they do so and still support him they are absolute scum.Ā Ā 

Kudos on your organization and job, you are actually working for a group that is helping people that really need it.Ā Ā 

12 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Kudos on your organization and job, you are actually working for a group that is helping people that really need it.Ā Ā 

Now that I think about it, I think I like the meetings more now, as it gives me a bigger of picture of what I do and the impact I have. My job is simple, butĀ super tedious and boring checking and double checking people's payroll, so often times I think to myself "what the fuck am I doing here?"

At first, the monthly meetings feels kind of boring, but then the CEO talked about this during the most recent meeting.Ā I guess it sort of felt like a wakeup slap toĀ me;Ā D.C. politics suddenly felt really close to home. While I am not Native American, I can sort of get a feel of what they are going through and I can empathize with them.

2 hours ago, XRay said:

Really? I thought she was just some unlucky but super loyal employee.

She's the daughter of a Republican politician so she's a bit of a product of the "Stupid Party" nonsense. Ultimately I think she falls into one of the following:

1. She is as stupid as she seems and adamantly believes the media and lots of people are to get Trump for no good reason.

or...

2. She knows she's a liar and is doing it because it's her job, has been looking for work but has had no luck like othersĀ and those close to her may resent her if were to be a whistle-blower or something of the sort.

The only time we've really seen a glimpse of Sarah Sanders not being a lying moron is when she wouldn't speak in the defense of the child separation fiasco and they had to getĀ Kirstjen Nielsen to speak to the press. During that time, Nielsen claimed there was no such policy but recently we've come to know how bullshit that claim was.

5 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Trump: They were laughing with me!

UN Diplomats: Nah we're definitely laughing at him

His end cannot come soon enough.. and after the midterm elections there should be a push to have Mitch McConnel resign with how he's handling things as of late.Ā 

Some good news

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

12 minutes ago, XRay said:

Maybe the next Democratic candidate should just laugh at Trump instead of arguing with him. Maybe that may get more votes.

If the next democratic nomineeĀ just pretended Trump didn't exist at the debates and never acknowledged a thing he said, I think that would make Trump unravel like never before.

Edited by Slumber

3 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

She's the daughter of a Republican politician so she's a bit of a product of the "Stupid Party" nonsense. Ultimately I think she falls into one of the following:

1. She is as stupid as she seems and adamantly believes the media and lots of people are to get Trump for no good reason.

or...

2. She knows she's a liar and is doing it because it's her job, has been looking for work but has had no luck like othersĀ and those close to her may resent her if were to be a whistle-blower or something of the sort.

The only time we've really seen a glimpse of Sarah Sanders not being a lying moron is when she wouldn't speak in the defense of the child separation fiasco and they had to getĀ Kirstjen Nielsen to speak to the press. During that time, Nielsen claimed there was no such policy but recently we've come to know how bullshit that claim was.

it's 3. She knows what she's doing, she's complicit, and she's the same as anyone else abusing a position of power for personal gain. If she wanted to quit and write a book or get a job elsewhere, she'd have no problem. People like her will weather the criticisms because they're confident that they'll get away with anything morally bankrupt as long as there's no legal accountability, and as long as they stick to the act, they'll almost certainly remain financially stable.

Getting the benefit of the doubt is part of the strategy for people like Sarah Sanders and Ivanka. They're counting on the public perception that they're "not as bad" as Trump or his goon brigade. It's foolish to assume that they're not playing the game too when they're raking in the chips.

21 hours ago, Johann said:

it's 3. She knows what she's doing, she's complicit, and she's the same as anyone else abusing a position of power for personal gain. If she wanted to quit and write a book or get a job elsewhere, she'd have no problem. People like her will weather the criticisms because they're confident that they'll get away with anything morally bankrupt as long as there's no legal accountability, and as long as they stick to the act, they'll almost certainly remain financially stable.

Getting the benefit of the doubt is part of the strategy for people like Sarah Sanders and Ivanka. They're counting on the public perception that they're "not as bad" as Trump or his goon brigade. It's foolish to assume that they're not playing the game too when they're raking in the chips.

Not gonna dispute that andĀ didn't think of that since I perceive her as too stupid to be on the sameĀ plane as Ivanka in this. Wouldn't be surprised if you're right though.

On today's hearing, my favorite part has been this

Kavanaugh on opening statement: I welcome any and all investigations in order to clear my name of all this.

Senators: Why don't you request an FBI investigation?

Kavanaugh: I'd like to dodge the question or repeat that FBI does not come to conclusions.

Ā 

Interestingly, on the C-Span calls I heard a few Republican women call in expressing their disappointment in the Republican senators so that's more good news.

But the moment that best encapsulate this entire procedure is this interruption by Grassley

House of Reps made an edit regarding "Devil's Triangle"

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

Yeah even if he is innocent the fact he dodges questions more times than I can count is really infuriating and makes him look like he's hiding something. At least Gorsuch answered questions semi-directly during his hearings.

Anyways, there was this one Republican Senator that told him he was essentially testifying in front of God, andĀ asked him to look him in the eyes andĀ swear that he didn't do what the women described. It was a very gut-wrenching moment.

Other than that, my mom (who's been watching this hearing all day) thinks Kavanaugh is probably guilty not because he willingly did it but because "he was probably too drunk to remember"

Edited by Pixelman

Funny, because other parts of Donald's speech at the UN said that Saudi Arabia is "now committed to targetting terrorists" and thatĀ Iran "doesn't respect the sovereignity of nations" and "the rich in Iran are stealing/plunderingĀ from the poor" as if he's so concerned with wealth inequality in other countries like Iran now, or that the US doesn't have some intervention in eight or more countries right now. I would have laughed more than once during that speech, because holy shit, laughable statements.

Especially with news like this:

https://theintercept.com/2018/09/21/mike-pompeo-yemen-war-raytheon/

Can I say that Trump may be an establishment shill that has been claiming he's not?

Edited by Edgelord