Jump to content
Navv

General US Politics

Poll  

326 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you vote a third party?

    • Yes
      105
    • No
      135
    • Maybe
      86
  2. 2. Are you content with the results of the election?

    • Yes
      66
    • No
      135
    • Indifferent
      54


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

I met John Bolton IRL once. He was—not a pleasant man.

How did you meet him and what was the experience like

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 3:58 PM, Pixelman said:

How did you meet him and what was the experience like

At CPAC, on the convention floor, back when I was in College Republicans. He was off sitting alone at an empty table in a corner while everyone else was mingling; got visibly annoyed if you walked over and tried to start a casual conversation with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so in a funny and sad story depending on your perspective, the build the wall fund has gone quiet on actually delivering what they promised

https://splinternews.com/donors-to-the-we-build-the-wall-gofundme-page-want-to-1834704853

https://www.thedailybeast.com/shocker-the-gofundme-campaign-to-build-the-wall-is-a-bust

 

supposedly, this guy even had a scam in the past involving veteran hospitals as well so why you would even trust him is baffling

Making donors more nervous is that Kolfage has a history of participating in questionable endeavors. He was a prolific operator of hoax pages on Facebook, and money he raised in the past to help veterans’ programs in hospitals never actually went to those hospitals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

14 hours ago, Tryhard said:

so in a funny and sad story depending on your perspective, the build the wall fund has gone quiet on actually delivering what they promised

https://splinternews.com/donors-to-the-we-build-the-wall-gofundme-page-want-to-1834704853

https://www.thedailybeast.com/shocker-the-gofundme-campaign-to-build-the-wall-is-a-bust

supposedly, this guy even had a scam in the past involving veteran hospitals as well so why you would even trust him is baffling

They deserve it. Getting scammed by people willing to exploit their tribalist tendencies is what they've set themselves up for. A college girl proved it back in late 2018.

In other news, it seems the way that the Democrats are going to fuck 2020 up is by having so many of them running for President with non-existent support while completely ignoring the Senate, forgetting the fact that as long as McConnell remains Senate Majority leader, nothing will come to pass. I think we need the Senate in 2020 more than the presidency.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Democrats want to take back the Senate then what are the most vulnerable Republican seats? Susan Collins? Who else?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure which ones would be considered competitive other than Susan Collins but what is certain is that there's more Republicans up for vote this time around than there were in 2018. For 2020, you have 12 Democrats and 22 Republicans up for Re-election. Some folks are saying that Beto could be Cornyn for that Senate seat but who knows. There's also the matter of some recent rulings against some Gerrymandered districts in favor of Republicans calling for that shit to be fixed before the 2020 votes.

Someone call Samus Aran.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read Bill de Blasio is running for president and lots of people seem to be against it, and not only conservatives. Can any (preferably liberal) New Yorker or anyone who knows of the political situation of the city explain me why he's supposed to be bad (or whether he's actually not bad)?

Edited by Nobody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not American, I'm European (hope that not a problem with me posting in this thread) but what happened last week in Alabama shocked me to say the least.

How are the Americans here taking the news about the abortion law they passed/trying to pass (it still needs to go through congress?)? 

Edited by Hekselka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Not American, I'm European (hope that not a problem with me posting in this thread) but what happened last week in Alabama shocked me to say the least.

How are the Americans here taking the news about the abortion law they passed/trying to pass (it still needs to go through congress?)? 

The law passed, but it's unconstitutional for now. Whether it stays that way will be up to the US supreme court.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Excellen Browning said:

The law passed, but it's unconstitutional for now. Whether it stays that way will be up to the US supreme court.

So if I understand this right in half a year the justices in the supreme court will choose whether the law goes through or not?

I took a look at Wikipedia and looked at all the current justices and the majority at first sight seem conservative and even one of the women wasn't against abortion so it doesn't look great. Of course this is Wikipedia so hopefully things in there are outdated or the conservatives on there don't all agree with this law.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hekselka said:

So if I understand this right in half a year the justices in the supreme court will choose whether the law goes through or not?

I took a look at Wikipedia and looked at all the current justices and the majority at first sight seem conservative and even one of the women wasn't against abortion so it doesn't look great. Of course this is Wikipedia so hopefully things in there are outdated or the conservatives on there don't all agree with this law.

I don't know about the female justices but yes it's not looking good. To my knowledge Kavanaugh, Gorsuch and Alito are all hard anti-abortion, Thomas isn't against it per se but doesn't see it as a constitutional issue, and Roberts is the swing vote while generally being a conservative vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The laws are being made to go to the Supreme Court yes, the people that pushed for it even mentioned it during deliberation. It is expected that GOP politicians would push for bans to abortion because it's what they do but these laws in particular are so much worse that I'd say the men who put these laws forward should be raped by incarcerated folks like this guy for basically saying a woman that's raped should carry that baby and generally treating rapists as not a big deal (which is a current problem in the country, see rulings on Brock Turner and Shane Piche).

But let's take a step back and let it sink in: Men in power are making abortion laws they know are outrageous just for the sake of pushing it to the Supreme Court and overturn existing precedent. That's just what they see when making the law, but on the flip side of the situation, women will be criminalized for aborting or even having a miscarriage, if this law were in effect in Texas 2 years ago, a friend of mine would have his wife in jail. Corrupt politicians should be subject to the death penalty, they shouldn't have the power to make laws like this that endanger common people and not have any consequences if overturned or rejected by the Supreme court. Fuck these people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, when i see the anti-abortion legislators on the news being all male, I always assume that the majority of anit-abortion supporters are also men. But when I look on the news at the pro-life protests, the crowds made up of mostly white women. Like what's up with that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UNLEASH IT said:

You know, when i see the anti-abortion legislators on the news being all male, I always assume that the majority of anit-abortion supporters are also men. But when I look on the news at the pro-life protests, the crowds made up of mostly white women. Like what's up with that?

Could be their wives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's Alabama. They're a part of the deep red south so I'm not surprised they passed this bill (Remember these guys put Roy Moore up for election)

It's important to note though that it was a woman who signed this bill into law, not a man, so men aren't only to "blame" I guess...

Edited by Pixelman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Pixelman said:

It's important to note though that it was a woman who signed this bill into law, not a man, so men aren't only to "blame" I guess...

Women are capable of acting against their supposed own best interests. Men aren't the only ones who can, neither sex is perfect.

Now one can take a condescending "Forgive them Father, they know not what they do" approach to such women as they would with "stupid" men. Though I think it's best to avoid condescension and dehumanizing the enemy and just focus on a cold impassioned beating them back through legal means.

The topic of abortion is one wherein I can see powerful emotive grounds which can bind the pro-life side to their cause. Whilst I do believe it to be a right, it's a touchy subject and personally I'd rather it not used as foremost form of birth control (not saying it is). One should be able to use it if they want to or need to, but I'd suggest circumventing the issue if possible on an individual basis by avoiding conception in the first place through use of other means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Women are capable of acting against their supposed own best interests. Men aren't the only ones who can, neither sex is perfect.

Now one can take a condescending "Forgive them Father, they know not what they do" approach to such women as they would with "stupid" men. Though I think it's best to avoid condescension and dehumanizing the enemy and just focus on a cold impassioned beating them back through legal means.

The topic of abortion is one wherein I can see powerful emotive grounds which can bind the pro-life side to their cause. Whilst I do believe it to be a right, it's a touchy subject and personally I'd rather it not used as foremost form of birth control (not saying it is). One should be able to use it if they want to or need to, but I'd suggest circumventing the issue if possible on an individual basis by avoiding conception in the first place through use of other means.

Have a read.  It explains their behavior, and it isn't particularly glowing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, UNLEASH IT said:

You know, when i see the anti-abortion legislators on the news being all male, I always assume that the majority of anit-abortion supporters are also men. But when I look on the news at the pro-life protests, the crowds made up of mostly white women. Like what's up with that?

People vote against their own interests all the time. Brexit is a good example, the parts of the country that got a leave majority were also the parts where local government relied on EU subsidies for their funding. And in general, a lot of people who rely on social security vote to have it stripped away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, eclipse said:

Have a read.  It explains their behavior, and it isn't particularly glowing.

Oh. I was just trying to be a little considerate. But those hypocrites don't deserve so much of that, particularly if these people are the same ones demanding abstinence-only sex education. Thanks for the information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think its still 5-4 on the Supreme Court in favor of upholding Roe v. Wade, with John Roberts being a vote to uphold the existing body of caselaw.

The problem is that Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 86 years old and has cancer.

If Trump gets a second term, abortion will be illegal in 28 states by the end of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Think its still 5-4 on the Supreme Court in favor of upholding Roe v. Wade, with John Roberts being a vote to uphold the existing body of caselaw.

The problem is that Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 86 years old and has cancer.

If Trump gets a second term, abortion will be illegal in 28 states by the end of it

Even if I'm not personally for abortion, I'm going to support legislation that makes it legal because my morals start and end with me.

I'm in the state that isn't going to cast electoral votes for Trump, full stop, so any convincing I do will have to be online. . .unless the local churches suddenly lose their common sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Think its still 5-4 on the Supreme Court in favor of upholding Roe v. Wade, with John Roberts being a vote to uphold the existing body of caselaw.

The problem is that Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 86 years old and has cancer.

If Trump gets a second term, abortion will be illegal in 28 states by the end of it

The third option being to curtail Roe v. Wade in some way, while still upholding it. 

My bet is on curtailing or ban. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...