Jump to content
Navv

General US Politics

Poll  

307 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you vote a third party?

    • Yes
      98
    • No
      126
    • Maybe
      83
  2. 2. Are you content with the results of the election?

    • Yes
      55
    • No
      130
    • Indifferent
      51


Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

 

The common thread of Sanders and Trump is that base voters for decades have felt like the mainstream body politics of their respective parties have failed to represent them on-the-issues. And party bosses have have met their grievances with pissy lectures on how the kind of talk they want to hear from their leaders is "unelectable."   

And the base voters are finally telling the party bosses to go fuck themselves + treating their doom-and-gloom over the prospect of THAT candidate winning the party's nomination as a boon, rather than as a demerit. 

...the notable difference of course being that the R's were looking for a candidate who would break party convention that its 'unelectable' to treat Latin American immigration as a hostile takeover of white America...

...and the D's are looking for a candidate who breaks party convention that its 'unelectable' to run on European Socialism, universal healthcare, and free college...

...but hey details...   

[Biden in 2019]: "Bernie isn't electable in a general election. I'm the most electable general election candidate in the field. I'm the most electable because I'm the Democrat who can win those white blue-collar workers that voted for Trump. Bernie can only appeal to the party base."

[Biden in 2020]: "Well we're gonna comeback in South Carolina because voters of color are the real base of the democratic party, and thats where we expect to hit our real appeal. Yeah--Bernie did great in Iowa and New Hampshire--but thats only because those states are mono-white and he really does great with those white blue-color voters. That doesn't mean anything."

--------

Take heart in knowing there's absolutely zero evidence that the Bidens and the Klobuchars and the like were more electable alternatives to Sanders. And if anything, the reverse seems to be true.

 

   

Yes this 'unelectable' word being thrown around constantly has to stop.  It isn't supported by the polls at all.  

If Democrats take the Senate they need their own Mitch Mcconnell, who if there isn't a majority of their party that approves of the bill it won't even come to vote.  Oh yeah and if Trump is president or any other Republican, don't allow votes on Supreme court justices or any judges.  If Bernie or a Dem is there approve judges and stack the courts at a record pace.  Ignore Fox and the right wing media and the explosion they have, all they have to say is "Look at Mitch, hypocrites".  

If Sanders gets in he has to abuse the executive order as much as possible, not only to push his policies as much as possible but to teach Republicans a lesson.  If you are going to abuse expand power, we'll do it to.  

If worst comes to worst and Republicans take back house, retain Senate, Trump wins.  They should do government shutdowns and whatever scumbag tactics they can. 

To the present, Trump's dumb wall blasted through a native american gravesite despite their protests and weren't even consulted.  Oh and Bloomberg is launching a huge attack campaign on Bernie Sanders as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lewyn said:

If Democrats take the Senate they need their own Mitch Mcconnell, who if there isn't a majority of their party that approves of the bill it won't even come to vote.  Oh yeah and if Trump is president or any other Republican, don't allow votes on Supreme court justices or any judges.  If Bernie or a Dem is there approve judges and stack the courts at a record pace.  Ignore Fox and the right wing media and the explosion they have, all they have to say is "Look at Mitch, hypocrites".  

If Sanders gets in he has to abuse the executive order as much as possible, not only to push his policies as much as possible but to teach Republicans a lesson.  If you are going to abuse expand power, we'll do it to.  

If worst comes to worst and Republicans take back house, retain Senate, Trump wins.  They should do government shutdowns and whatever scumbag tactics they can. 

To the present, Trump's dumb wall blasted through a native american gravesite despite their protests and weren't even consulted.  Oh and Bloomberg is launching a huge attack campaign on Bernie Sanders as well.  

No, fuck that. If we're going to stay stuck in a 2-party system with the Republican party remaining as it currently is then we certainly don't want what is currently supposed to be the lesser of 2 evils to stoop to their level of hyper-partisan garbage as well as reinforcing the "both sides" narrative the mainstream media loves to push out of fear from the Republican base.

Primary shitty Democrats to improve the party and hold them to the standards of where we should be instead of where Trump and McConnell have lowered the bar to. Hammer the facts of their failures and the work that the recent Democratic presidents have had to do to clean up the Republican messes. Make it as clear as possible to the masses that voting for Republicans like the ones we have today is to vote for a regressive party bought by the rich. Most importantly, run on good policy and be mindful of regular Americans because seriously, that Carbon Tax is something the Democrats should consider ditching unless their goal is to give Republicans shit to seize on in the future.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

No, fuck that. If we're going to stay stuck in a 2-party system with the Republican party remaining as it currently is then we certainly don't want what is currently supposed to be the lesser of 2 evils to stoop to their level of hyper-partisan garbage as well as reinforcing the "both sides" narrative the mainstream media loves to push out of fear from the Republican base.

Primary shitty Democrats to improve the party and hold them to the standards of where we should be instead of where Trump and McConnell have lowered the bar to. Hammer the facts of their failures and the work that the recent Democratic presidents have had to do to clean up the Republican messes. Make it as clear as possible to the masses that voting for Republicans like the ones we have today is to vote for a regressive party bought by the rich. Most importantly, run on good policy and be mindful of regular Americans because seriously, that Carbon Tax is something the Democrats should consider ditching unless their goal is to give Republicans shit to seize on in the future.

Well really the Republican party needs to go they are racist, sexist and are for tyranny and power.  We need multiple parties but the GOP especially in its current iteration is a pure negative for America.  It is a disgusting extremist organization spreading lies. 

Moreover the hyper partisan garbage has started with the Republicans and it isn't going to stop, Democrats have tried playing nice but it is a fool's errand.  If they force a bunch of stuff through like President Chump and Moscow Mitch are doing, then they can make it really hard for Republicans if they get back in power to push their evil agendas and reverse progress.  Republicans aren't about compromise they are about winning at all costs, and the Democrats have to be the same to realistically compete.  

Being the better more fair party hasn't worked out for themselves so far.   We got Donald Trump in office, who has committed atrocities like seemingly every day, lies constantly and Democrats try to rationally explain why he is wrong and where does it get us?  Trump's approval rating goes up!

The right wing media is going to push their crap regardless of what the Democrats do, they can do everything perfectly and they will make stuff up they always do.  Many Americans just buy it up and always will.

 

Edited by Lewyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What did I say about hyperbole?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloomberg's performance last night was terrifying. At least two allusions to buying seats in congress is a horrifying prospect for a potential president.

He does really seem to think he's entitled to more power just because he's megarich. It's like he is what Trump wishes he could be.

Edited by Slumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Bloomberg's performance last night was terrifying. 


I'd be bothered if it looked like he had any serious prospect of becoming the nominee.
____

Pelosi out today saying she's comfortable with Bernie at the top of the ticket. (Say what you will about Nancy Pelosi:  she does her math, and doesn't say or do anything unless she knows the numbers are there)

Pelosi pivoting herself into alignment with Bernie is as clear a signal as any you're gonna get that people in-the-know are looking at the numbers, and know the numbers say its gonna be Bernie. 

 

Edited by Shoblongoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:


I'd be bothered if it looked like he had nay serious prospect of becoming the nominee.
____

Pelosi out today saying she's comfortable with Bernie at the top of the ticket. (Say what you will about Nancy Pelosi:  she does her math, and doesn't say or do anything unless she knows the numbers are there)

Pelosi pivoting herself into alignment with Bernie is as clear a signal as any you're gonna get that people in-the-know are looking at the numbers, and know the numbers say its gonna be Bernie. 

 

I'm not a huge Pelosi fan, but she's easily the shrewdest politician the dems have. She's smart and knows how to play the game. Her signaling to the party that she'd support Bernie is definitely a big sign that she's at least getting ready for the possibility of President Sanders.

She's also probably pretty aware of how devastating it would be to the party if Sanders got the most support from the base, but was then shut down at a contested convention. There seem to be a fair few democrats who think robbing the front-runner of a win would be no big deal... most of them running for the nomination right now.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of the party expected last night's debate to go much worse for Bernie, when really it showed how strong his base is. It might be one of the factors in Pelosi saying this today.

Edited by Slumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Slumber said:

She's also probably pretty aware of how devastating it would be to the party if Sanders got the most support from the base, but was then shut down at a contested convention. There seem to be a fair few democrats who think robbing the front-runner of a win would be no big deal... most of them running for the nomination right now.

Its the Democratic version of all the corporate (R)'s back in 2016 who just could not process that they were no longer looking at the old GOP of McCain and Romney they thought they knew after Trump to their absolute horror emerged from New Hampshire as the clear frontrunner + barometer of what the party base was looking for in a leader. And were trying to wargame out scenarios where the race could still go to Jeb or Kaisich, or delegates could abandon Trump at a brokered convention.
______

The new generation of (D)'s is more progressive, unflinchingly behind universal healthcare and higher education as a baseline litmus test for whether or not a candidate represents them on-the-issues, and doesn't respond to 'socialism' as a scare-word.

Bernie's platform is the future of the party. 
 

Edited by Shoblongoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eclipse said:

What did I say about hyperbole?

What hyperbole?  There is a lot of anger but no exaggeration in my posts.  Please explain.

57 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Its the Democratic version of all the corporate (R)'s back in 2016 who just could not process that they were no longer looking at the old GOP of McCain and Romney they thought they knew after Trump to their absolute horror emerged from New Hampshire as the clear frontrunner + barometer of what the party base was looking for in a leader. And were trying to wargame out scenarios where the race could still go to Jeb or Kaisich, or delegates could abandon Trump at a brokered convention.
______

The new generation of (D)'s is more progressive, unflinchingly behind universal healthcare and higher education as a baseline litmus test for whether or not a candidate represents them on-the-issues, and doesn't respond to 'socialism' as a scare-word.

Bernie's platform is the future of the party. 
 

Bernie is the future and thank goodness.  He is also getting more support from older voters than he did in 2016.  The DNC need to unite behind him 100% as the RNC did behind Trump if Bernie (hopefully) gets the nomination or even if he has the majority vote.  Anything less and they are handing Trump the win and Republicans power for the next 4 years.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lewyn said:

What hyperbole?  There is a lot of anger but no exaggeration in my posts.  Please explain.

Please reread what you wrote - here.  Can you truly say that there's no hyperbole in this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, eclipse said:

Please reread what you wrote - here.  Can you truly say that there's no hyperbole in this?

Your hyperbole comment was in relation to my post just above said comment, right on this page.  There was no exaggeration in it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Your hyperbole comment was in relation to my post just above said comment, right on this page.  There was no exaggeration in it.  

. . .man, you're overdue for this.  So I'm going to ask you to do this voluntarily.  Next time, it won't be. . .well, at least on this side.

For a week, don't read the news (whether it be on the Internet, what you see in a newspaper, watch on TV, etc.).  Full stop.  If someone brings up politics, don't engage them.  Instead, log down everything that happens in your daily life.  After that week, go back and read what you've wrote, then tell me if the world's ending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

okay i thought the statement nahhhh the boomers were always rightwing shitlords was self-explanatory enough on its own to not be labeled hyperbolic, but apparently it requires context.

CONTEXT:

The Boomers hail from a moment in history where "well the people saying the negroes shouldn't be allowed to use our schools or drinking fountains and that the homosexuals should be locked up in mental hospitals to receive treatment for their sickness have some really good points. But so do the people saying that maybe we should just integrate them into the general population" was what passed for moderate, mainstream, middle-of-the-road centrism.

And that thinking didn't go away when their children's politics moved the national point-of-center leftward, so much as it just went underground.

But thats always been where that generation hails from, and what their point-of-center was raised to believe. 


They didn't "get more conservative with age"

They've just arrived at another moment in history now in The Age of Trump where they feel comfortable openly saying things that they've felt were too socially unacceptable to say out-loud for the past few decades.

Because now they feel like its mainstream and socially acceptable again.   

Edited by Shoblongoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

okay i thought the statement nahhhh the boomers were always rightwing shitlords was self-explanatory enough on its own to not be labeled hyperbolic, but apparently it requires context.

CONTEXT:

The Boomers hail from a moment in history where "well the people saying the negroes shouldn't be allowed to use our schools or drinking fountains and that the homosexuals should be locked up in mental hospitals to receive treatment for their sickness have some really good points. But so do the people saying that maybe we should just integrate them into the general population" was what passed for moderate, mainstream, middle-of-the-road centrism.

And that thinking didn't go away when their children's politics moved the national point-of-center leftward, so much as it just went underground.

But thats always been where that generation hails from, and what their point-of-center was raised to believe. 


They didn't "get more conservative with age"

They've just arrived at another moment in history now in The Age of Trump where they feel comfortable openly saying things that they've felt were too socially unacceptable to say out-loud for the past few decades.

Because now they feel like its mainstream and socially acceptable again.   

In other words, the political spectrum shifted.  But back in their day, they weren't on the right side of it.  Which means that the statement itself could be taken in two drastically different ways, hence why you need to explain it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was expecting more activity in this thread, considering what went down this week. 

Donald Trump taking the time to tell us it's all a liberal fake media hoax as we're in the opening stages of a global pandemic that's looking like it'll rival the Spanish flu. And then making a guy who thinks sick people dying is God punishing the unjust the one in charge of the response. 

The only very, very dark silver lining to this is that a significant portion of the Trump voters will be dead from corona virus by election night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

I was expecting more activity in this thread, considering what went down this week. 

Donald Trump taking the time to tell us it's all a liberal fake media hoax as we're in the opening stages of a global pandemic that's looking like it'll rival the Spanish flu. And then making a guy who thinks sick people dying is God punishing the unjust the one in charge of the response. 

The only very, very dark silver lining to this is that a significant portion of the Trump voters will be dead from corona virus by election night.

Of course the Donald is.  Right wing media is all ablaze about how the Democrats are trying to weaponize this and shouldn't criticize Trump, I guess they know their followers have the memory of a goldfish and already forgot how Obama was treated with every single thing he did or said including Ebola.  They even defend Pence, the man who doesn't believe in evolution but creationism, who doesn't think smoking kills, and well doesn't believe much in anything scientific just the good book.

https://www.newsweek.com/mike-pence-coronavirus-science-hiv-aids-smoking-evolution-climate-change-1489458

This joker will be in charge and communicate to us what is going on.  

If a significant portion of the Trump voters died from Corona, well the average intelligence of this country would take quite the leap.  I'm wondering is their a limit to their stupidity and naivety though?  Trump fired the pandemic response team among other actions that hurt our preparedness to deal with this.  He continues to lie even about this.  

Yeah and what happens when you hire a bunch of unqualified/underqualified people to head/work in departments on your staff?  When there is an actual crisis, that absolute slavelike loyalty isn't going to help much.  

Looks like Bernie vs Biden, I think Bernie gots this...certainly hope he does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Excellen Browning said:

The only very, very dark silver lining to this is that a significant portion of the Trump voters will be dead from corona virus by election night.

 

15 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

If a significant portion of the Trump voters died from Corona, well the average intelligence of this country would take quite the leap.

jesus fucking christ you two

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buttigieg out!!! That’s Big. (Biden vs. Bernie it is then)

Edited by Shoblongoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a bit surprised Buttigieg didn't stick around until Super Tuesday was over. Maybe he's realized that after Nevada and South Carolina, that his lack of diversity support is too fatal? Or, maybe it was calculated to give Biden a boost to his underprepared (so I hear) Super Tuesday turnout?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm a bit surprised Buttigieg didn't stick around until Super Tuesday was over. Maybe he's realized that after Nevada and South Carolina, that his lack of diversity support is too fatal? Or, maybe it was calculated to give Biden a boost to his underprepared (so I hear) Super Tuesday turnout?

It's difficult to tell right now. His base seems pretty evenly split between who they support between Biden, Bernie and Warren. If he had dropped out before South Carolina, it probably would have helped Bernie. But now that Biden has some momentum, it's really tough to tell. Ultimately it just frees up some perspective delegates that he might have gotten in the future, but some people are also saying it's just more likely to lead to a contested convention(Which ultimately helps Biden), since more candidates may reach viability with Pete gone.

Super Tuesday was going in Bernie's favor before, so we'll have to see in a few days.

Edited by Slumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m wondering if Buttigieg is trying to get out early and not take anymore unnecessary shots at Biden or Bernie because he’s angling for a VP spot (seems like he’d be exactly what a ticket running an old man with concerns about his age and health in the #1 would want for the #2) 

Edited by Shoblongoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shoblongoo said:

I’m wondering if Buttigieg is angling for a VP spot (seems like he’d be exactly what a ticket running an old man with concerns abou his age and health in the #1 would want for the #2) 

I don't know about VP, but he'll probably angle for a cabinet spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...