Jump to content
Ansem

General US Politics

Poll  

338 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you vote a third party?

    • Yes
      104
    • No
      137
    • Maybe
      97
  2. 2. Are you content with the results of the election?

    • Yes
      76
    • No
      136
    • Indifferent
      55


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Tryhard said:

https://www.prri.org/research/amid-multiple-crises-trump-and-biden-supporters-see-different-realities-and-futures-for-the-nation/

Some interesting numbers here. A highlight includes support for the question 'It always makes our country better when Americans speak up and protest unfair treatment by the government' being cut in half in the minds of Republicans when Black Americans is said instead.

I was going to just say "well, no shit", but then I actually looked at the data, and there's a ray of hope: there's absolutely no swing in that question when looking at people who identify as Democrats. That surprised me; I assumed there'd just be a smaller effect.

The other thing on there that caught my eye was that more Democrats and Democrat-leading independents originally wanted Sanders as the nominee than wanted Biden. And that made me realise that primaries aren't FPP in the US: they're some degree of preferential voting. As people drop out of the race, any given individual may lose the chance to vote for their first preference, so they have to go down the list. So, uh... could you make that system more formal and more general, please? I reckon it'd help your democracy recover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Armchair General said:

You do realize that this can really hurt a lot of things, right? Like the shipping industry, traveling, education, the cessation of federal welfare, the benefits of having federal law enforcement relieving the workload every now and then.

Actually I don't, I will admit I know very little of the subject. But I do know that open borders are a thing here in the EU. I also know trade is a big part of the EU, for example the Netherlands trades a large percentage of its food and gas with other countries. Of course the biggest difference is that the EU used to be separate countries forming closer ties, while the US would have to cut certain ties. 

18 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

The goal has to be to fix the broken parts of the country. Not partition it. 

I like this line, you've convinced me, partitioning is a bad idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could go either way on splitting up the states now that the courts have been fucked for the next 20-40 years. Most republican states are net benefactors from federal income, democrat states are net payers. All states already operate most government functions, so a transition shouldn't be too difficult, and any social security shortfalls can be filled by unpaid federal taxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, whase said:

Actually I don't, I will admit I know very little of the subject. But I do know that open borders are a thing here in the EU. I also know trade is a big part of the EU, for example the Netherlands trades a large percentage of its food and gas with other countries. Of course the biggest difference is that the EU used to be separate countries forming closer ties, while the US would have to cut certain ties. 

The short answer is that it'll generate more red tape, potentially put a higher price on long-distance travel and shipping, possibly lead to everyone getting passports or a version of a green card if they need to travel or work from Yuma to El Centro. Plus, it can lead to a few "international" crimes unsolved due to a lack of an centralized law enforcement agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/10/hacker-says-he-correctly-guessed-trumps-twitter-password-it-was-maga2020/

Quote

Hacker says he correctly guessed Trump’s Twitter password—it was “maga2020!”

Security researcher says he alerted Trump team to weak password and lack of 2FA.

...

Remarkably, it wasn’t the first time Gevers has gained access to the president’s Twitter account. In 2016 he and two others guessed Trump’s password and got into his account.

Back then Trump’s password was “yourefired”, according to VN news, his catchphrase from the reality TV show that brought him into American living rooms prior to his election, The Apprentice.

as a developer, this gives me physical pain

Edited by Tryhard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Trump might have had a hard time believing that his account was hacked. At a campaign event in Arizona on Monday, three days after Gevers apparently hacked his Twitter account, the president claimed that "nobody gets hacked. To get hacked, you need somebody with a 197 IQ and he needs about 15 percent of your password."

Reminds me of wayyy back when a friend of mine logged into her emails, muttered "A...E..." under her breath and gave me a very shocked look when I jokingly responded, "I O U 123". To be fair, we were like 13 and 15 at the time, but it's still nice to have my 197 IQ confirmed. (well, it was 25% of the password. But still.)

Trump's tech savvyness aside, it is weird that Twitter apparently has zero additional account security at all. Like, I have to enter a new 6-digit code every time I log into Twitch because I delete cookies after closing my browser, but for Twitter it doesn't spring an alert when someone enters four wrong passwords from a new device from the wrong side of the Atlantic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guiliani is a disgusting pervert just like Trump.  What is he, 76?  Maybe it will put some water on the Hunter Biden laptop conspiracy he is pushing.  Is taxpayer money going to his 2 year investigation in Ukraine?  Either way jail is a good place for him too.

On secession, yeah that was heat of the moment, hard to do...so many difficulties, would have to form new federal governments and the spacing, what about attacks from outside, etc.  I'm just sick of these dumb Trump supporters and his favoritism towards red states and trying to destroy blue states.  

On the hacking, that dude should have done some fake tweets that embarrass Trump or make him look really bad to HIS SUPPORTERS.  Like make him look super 'unmacho', weak, frail, and snobbish.  God be a hero and help get this loon out of office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2020 at 1:58 AM, Seafarer said:

The other thing on there that caught my eye was that more Democrats and Democrat-leading independents originally wanted Sanders as the nominee than wanted Biden. And that made me realise that primaries aren't FPP in the US: they're some degree of preferential voting. As people drop out of the race, any given individual may lose the chance to vote for their first preference, so they have to go down the list. So, uh... could you make that system more formal and more general, please? I reckon it'd help your democracy recover.

Yeah, this is ideal. The other issue is closed primaries. Independents basically resign themselves to no say in the process to nominating a candidate. I encourage people to not register as independents.

I kinda like the rolling primary style, but it screws over solid blue states hard.

Edited by Lord Raven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched about 3 minutes of last night's debate, and they were questioning the President on a bank account he had in China or something like that, which he said he had closed prior to the election, if memory serves me right. I also heard that mic muting was used this time around? Also, neither candidate was wearing a mask, and I haven't heard anything about Trump testing negative recently, so I assume both of them are healthy.

I also noticed that each candidate was wearing a tie corresponding with their party color (Trump with a red tie, Biden with a blue tie). I don't think that it was intentional, but it was something that I noticed. In other news, I also went and voted early with my mom yesterday, which was a neat experience. That was my first time ever voting, and it was actually pretty quick and painless, all things considered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mic muting didn't apply for most of the debate. It was only there for the first two minutes of the candidate's speech in response to the issue brought up by the moderator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my voting done today. I got to do curbside since my foot is fractured, though it wasn't that busy at my polling place. The hardest part is gonna be waiting for this all to be over...favorably, I should hope. I haven't looked at polls, but I hear Biden is more favorable. I can only hope that holds, unlike 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like the confirmation hearings will close this next week. I'd like to point out that they were announced on September 26. And despite the majority of americans thinking they shouldn't happen so close to the election, or several of the involved congressmen being advised to isolate after contact with infected individuals, the senate can move really fast on these sorts of things when it supports their agenda. So don't believe any bullshit about failure to compromise or operate on bipartisan lines regarding other issues like pandemic relief. Gridlock is a deliberate tactic, and one party believes in using it religiously.

I saw this link floating around more and more lately. it is fascinating when compared against the first wave of COVID which was hitting cities the most. But obviously we've learned a lot since then. You'd think our president or his Southern Strategy Party would be more concerned about their voter base literally dying on such a grand scale. It's not like these are growing states. If those populations start to slip, that's going to be less electoral votes in the bank for future elections. 

Edited by Glennstavos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

You're forgetting the ongoing gerrymandering efforts.

That has nothing to do with it? I'm not saying red states will become blue. I'm saying red states will become red states worth less House seats and electoral votes because there's no immigration and their population is dying out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I'm telling you that the republicans are doing their very best to rig apportionment in their favour, and rig swing states into solid red majorities. They've got ways of making up the difference.

In any case, the death toll isn't so big that it's going to affect apportionment.

Edited by Excellen Browning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God Trump is such a baby, nothing new, but if you saw 60 minutes last night Jesus.  I missed it live, but watched it late last night.  Trump gets upset and takes his ball and goes home.  Then his press secretary Kayley whatever comes in with a big smile and drops this huge binder in the reporters lap saying it is 'Trump's healthcare plan'...the reporter then says there was hardly anything in it, some loose executive orders and not much else.  

Any fellow Americans planning an exit should Trump win the election or even worse outright steal it?  South Korea is nice and has a lot of openings to get into, there are a multitude of ways to get into various countries in the EU as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Any fellow Americans planning an exit should Trump win the election or even worse outright steal it?  South Korea is nice and has a lot of openings to get into, there are a multitude of ways to get into various countries in the EU as well. 

I think you're being a little unrealistic here. Besides sentimentality of "my country right or wrong", there's family commitments that can make this an impossibility, and there's the need for a job in whichever totally strange land you choose to go to. As depressing -and if you can't "blend in", terrible- American dictatorship could be, the logistics of immigration are too great and 99% of Americans will opt to survive instead. A brain drain could maybe happen, because those with the brainy skills have the talent to be readily wanted wherever they would choose to go, and they've the bit of startup capital to make it happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Senate confirmed Amy to the Supreme Court to the tune of 52-48. Things are gonna get a lot rougher around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dai said:

The Senate confirmed Amy to the Supreme Court to the tune of 52-48. Things are gonna get a lot rougher around here.

I'd say Biden would be justified to go pack the courts when he's in office. After all this current Republican dominance of the court only exist due to foul play on the Republican's end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a few more days until election day. Last election was the first time I voted and it was by mail since I was in college. I was going to just do it in the mail again because of COVID-19, but it shouldn't be a big deal. I'd rather vote in person since I have the option to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lewyn said:

God Trump is such a baby, nothing new, but if you saw 60 minutes last night Jesus.  I missed it live, but watched it late last night.  Trump gets upset and takes his ball and goes home.  Then his press secretary Kayley whatever comes in with a big smile and drops this huge binder in the reporters lap saying it is 'Trump's healthcare plan'...the reporter then says there was hardly anything in it, some loose executive orders and not much else.  

Any fellow Americans planning an exit should Trump win the election or even worse outright steal it?  South Korea is nice and has a lot of openings to get into, there are a multitude of ways to get into various countries in the EU as well.  

Right now you're still banned from traveling to most of the EU and getting residence in any EU country isn't easier than in the US. 

Edited by Excellen Browning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think you're being a little unrealistic here. Besides sentimentality of "my country right or wrong", there's family commitments that can make this an impossibility, and there's the need for a job in whichever totally strange land you choose to go to. As depressing -and if you can't "blend in", terrible- American dictatorship could be, the logistics of immigration are too great and 99% of Americans will opt to survive instead. A brain drain could maybe happen, because those with the brainy skills have the talent to be readily wanted wherever they would choose to go, and they've the bit of startup capital to make it happen.

I have a huge extended family but I don't want to live in a country as evil, hateful, or flat out stupid to re elect Donald Trump.  Yeah finding a reliable full time job and getting then possible citizenship can be tough.  

 

48 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

Right now you're still banned from traveling to most of the EU and getting residence in any EU country isn't easier than in the US. 

This makes it even harder.  Trump's plan make America hell, and then make it impossible for Americans to leave.  

4 hours ago, Dai said:

The Senate confirmed Amy to the Supreme Court to the tune of 52-48. Things are gonna get a lot rougher around here.

Yes much rougher.  Biden has to win and stack the courts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...