Jump to content
Ansem

General US Politics

Poll  

336 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you vote a third party?

    • Yes
      104
    • No
      137
    • Maybe
      95
  2. 2. Are you content with the results of the election?

    • Yes
      75
    • No
      136
    • Indifferent
      54


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Anybody else refresh FiveThirtyEight throughout the day like you're squeezing a stress ball?

Sounds a little like a case of "doomscrolling", thats actually a neologism now. It means "constantly looking at negative/sad/bad stuff", not good for mental health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sounds a little like a case of "doomscrolling", thats actually a neologism now. It means "constantly looking at negative/sad/bad stuff", not good for mental health.

But the numbers keep going uuuuuup. Each point of probability against Trump or a Republican controlled Senate is cathartic to see. I voted weeks ago, all that's left to is stress out. Obviously polling aggregates failed last election (FiveThirtyEight was the only source to my recollection that even acknowledged Trump had a path to the presidency by the night of), and I'm expecting poll accuracy to be even less when so many more people will be voting from both parties (or at least attempting to. It's anybody's guess what will be stricken down by courts and other voter obstructions). But data gives me hope. Numbers make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Anybody else refresh FiveThirtyEight throughout the day like you're squeezing a stress ball?

Oh hey, this is me too. I had to block it at work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Anybody else refresh FiveThirtyEight throughout the day like you're squeezing a stress ball?

Unfortunately, doesn't do much for me. While I'm glad Biden's ahead nationally, I'd feel so much better if my state (Texas) would get its head out of its ass and boost Biden higher. He can still win even without Texas, but it'd sure as hell make it a lot easier having Texas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is going to be a really close election, I think. That's scary. Imo, it was obvious Trump would win in the last election. I think if it hadn't been for the COVID-19 pandemic, Trump would've had this election for certain too. That's most of what it seems people are caring about and that's all Biden and Harris can focus on, they don't have any stronger points beyond that tbh. Nothing that isn't a typical Democrat vs Republican view anyway, but those topics get evaded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phoenix Wright said:

if biden takes texas he's got about a 0% chance of losing. this is a gut feeling that's backed up by the numbers too. tx aint gone blue since carter!

He would only need a state with a fraction of Texas' electoral votes to be that secure. You can play around with possibilities here. But the deciding states that are being anticipated are North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Arizona, and Ohio. Texas skewing purple is surprising, but Georgia as an actual swing state is probably the weirdest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a lot of hope for this hypothetical Biden presidency.

Check the senate races: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/senate/

I also love Chuck Schumer's statement.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1320869180011352065

Anyway, back to the Senate

Spoiler

 

AZ will flip

CO will flip (D+2)

IA might flip (D+2-.5)

ME will very likely flip (D+3-3.5)

MT could flip (D+3-4)

NC might flip (D+3-4.5)

AK might flip (D+3-5)

GA1 might flip (D+3-5.5)

GA2 might flip (D+3-6)

SC might flip (D+3-6.5)

TX might flip (D+3-7)

AL will flip (D+2-7)

 

So... Democrats are basically only "guaranteed" +1-2 seats. Vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Raven said:

I have a lot of hope for this hypothetical Biden presidency.

Check the senate races: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/senate/

I also love Chuck Schumer's statement.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1320869180011352065

Anyway, back to the Senate

  Hide contents

 

AZ will flip

CO will flip (D+2)

IA might flip (D+2-.5)

ME will very likely flip (D+3-3.5)

MT could flip (D+3-4)

NC might flip (D+3-4.5)

AK might flip (D+3-5)

GA1 might flip (D+3-5.5)

GA2 might flip (D+3-6)

SC might flip (D+3-6.5)

TX might flip (D+3-7)

AL will flip (D+2-7)

 

So... Democrats are basically only "guaranteed" +1-2 seats. Vote.

The fact that there is any race at all is mind-boggling. It shouldn’t even be close. It should be unanimously blue across every single position. I swear, the American people just seem to love being abused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes PLEASE VOTE.  I did last week.  However please, I don't want the US to become like Belarus, Hungary, Poland, Thailand, Philippines, Brazil.  No offense to anyone there, but I'd like US to remain a democratic free country, or else we are going to be fucked for a super long time.  Once power is seized it is incredibly difficult for the people to do anything.  Every dirty trick he tries in the courts or during the counting, millions of activists are set to protest.  Fight him tooth and nail.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're still on the fence, I'm just going to come out and say that you should vote Biden/Harris and whoever's the democrat running for the senate in your state. 

The reasons for this are many, let me just sum some of them up

1. Trump is a criminal, Biden and Harris aren't. He's committed a dozen obstructions of justice, tried to bribe at least one foreign country, probably committed tax offenses, and incited violence against people.

2. Trump is trying to cheat the election and him and his senate and Supreme Court allies are trying to turn the US into a one-party state. From the gerrymandering, to destroying the USPS ability to deliver mail-in ballots, to calling the election results in doubt if he wins, and now repeated attempts by state republican parties to manipulate results by doing things like placing fake ballot boxes.

3. Trump has made the US a laughing stock and an unreliable ally, while he buddies up when th dictators who are trying to undermine the US. His negotiations with North Korea for denuclearisation were a big nothingburger, he pulled out of the Paris Climate Agreement, and then TTIP as well.

4. Trump is a racist who has a long history of being a racist shitheel to his tenants and now insists on calling peaceful protesters calling for justice reforms as rioters and looters, and has told his justice department to treat them like enemies of the state.

5. Trump has set the US to leave the WHO if he's re-elected. 

6. Currently in the courts to kill Obamacare/ACA and replace it with nothing.

7. The republican proposed HEALS coronavirus relief bill is a huge piece of shit that will do nothing for you and shield your employer from liability for not keeping to the coronavirus regulations.

8. The federal coronavirus response has been nothing short of a disaster 

Points in favour of Biden/Harris

1. A big expansion of Obamacare/ACA. 

2. The HEROES act, the democratic proposed coronavirus relief bill that will extend the relief from the CARES act for a long time.

3. Federal minimum wage increase to $15/hr, from $7.25/hr.

4. Start applying now tried and true ways of combating the spread of covid.

5. Green new deal, which promises massive investments into helping smaller businesses.

6. Find the 550 or so children that went missing from the Trump concentration camps, improve the lives of the people in those camps, who are currently being treated way worse than people in prison, up to the point where a court had to order the Trump admin to give them access to toothbrushes and toothpaste.

7. Put an end to the wave of aggression against minorities that started under Trump

8. Federal justice reform

Edited by Excellen Browning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The voter suppression lawsuits by the fucking GOP are ridiculous, a lot of them last minute to throw out tons of votes, or not let mail in ballots be counted after election day when it has already been ruled that was allowed and many people mailed their votes.  The most ridiculous case is this, which Republiscum keep appealing.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/10/texas-drive-through-voting-throw-out-ballots.html

That's 117,000+ votes from Democratic area that they want to throw out last minute, read the article and be in disgust.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which shows just how desperate they are. They fear that Texas is becoming bluer each passing year, so they'll fight tooth and nail to delay it on the actual results tally for as long as they legally and illegally they can.

Speaking of which...

https://www.statesman.com/news/20201031/trump-train-swarms-biden-bus-on-1-35-and-trump-is-delighted

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2020 at 7:39 PM, Lewyn said:

Yes PLEASE VOTE.  I did last week.  However please, I don't want the US to become like Belarus, Hungary, Poland, Thailand, Philippines, Brazil.  No offense to anyone there, but I'd like US to remain a democratic free country, or else we are going to be fucked for a super long time.  Once power is seized it is incredibly difficult for the people to do anything.  Every dirty trick he tries in the courts or during the counting, millions of activists are set to protest.  Fight him tooth and nail.  

 

let me tell you, the shit GOP tries to pull like throwing away ballots wouldn't fly in here at all, nor would the voter suppression which is unheard off (and actually impossible to be done since voting is mandatory). In fact, Brazil ranks higher than the US on "Electoral Process and Pluralism" on the Democracy Index, though your country is ranked higher overall due to other factors such as the funcioning of government (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index#Democracy_Index_by_country_2019)

And that's without getting into the archaid undemocratic shit that is the electoral college

 

Bolsonaro is a piece of shit even worse than Trump, but the country is still a democracy, the institutions haven't been destroyed, and it would definitely be harder for him to steal an election than it is for Trump (or was for Bush in 2000 lmao)

Edited by Nobody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just disgusting, that party is so low that I don't even know what to say

they absolutely have to lose this election, if not things will only get worse for you

Edited by Nobody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Texas is having very high turnout this election. Due to how horrible Trump is, I think this is the year when we have the best chance of winning Texas in the near future. Texas will probably go back to being normally red once the Republicans put someone more palatable on the presidential ballot. Imagine a BLUE TEXAS on election night!

Edited by XRay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, XRay said:

Texas is having very high turnout this election. Due to how horrible Trump is, I think this is the year when we have the best chance of winning Texas in the near future. Texas will probably go back to being normally red once the Republicans put someone more palatable on the presidential ballot. Imagine a BLUE TEXAS on election night!

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Apparently the Republicans demanded to have 1000,000 votes thrown out and got a hyper partisan judge to rule about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Apparently the Republicans demanded to have 100,000 votes thrown out and got a hyper partisan judge to rule about it. 

100,000 is still a lot, mind you, and it's bullocks, but if that typo was actually true, I think Houston would've been in riot mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, on that subject:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/texas/2020/11/01/texas-supreme-court-rejects-republican-led-effort-to-throw-out-nearly-127000-harris-county-votes/

On state level it's been rejected. However, jury's still out there on federal level ruling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Nobody said:

let me tell you, the shit GOP tries to pull like throwing away ballots wouldn't fly in here at all, nor would the voter suppression which is unheard off (and actually impossible to be done since voting is mandatory). In fact, Brazil ranks higher than the US on "Electoral Process and Pluralism" on the Democracy Index, though your country is ranked higher overall due to other factors such as the funcioning of government (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index#Democracy_Index_by_country_2019)

And that's without getting into the archaid undemocratic shit that is the electoral college

 

Bolsonaro is a piece of shit even worse than Trump, but the country is still a democracy, the institutions haven't been destroyed, and it would definitely be harder for him to steal an election than it is for Trump (or was for Bush in 2000 lmao)

Yeah it is mostly about the direction of where Bolsonaro is trying to take the country.  I'm glad it isn't as bad there as it is here, I have a good amount of friends there.  

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, on that subject:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/texas/2020/11/01/texas-supreme-court-rejects-republican-led-effort-to-throw-out-nearly-127000-harris-county-votes/

On state level it's been rejected. However, jury's still out there on federal level ruling.

Yeah tomorrow morning that hyper partisan judge will rule on it.  100,000 is a lot, quite a few states have been won by very thin margins.  They are trying this crap with mail in voting as well.  Of course they wait last second so people who already voted by mail could just get their votes thrown out and not be able to do shit about it.  Trump is asking for riots the like of which he has never seen, but he probably loves them.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...