General US Politics

Ansem

1 hour ago, Lewyn said:

That's a bit extreme.  I'm simply saying Democrats have to fight back.

Ok, but by equally underhanded means? Nope. And lemme take a moment to jog your memory:

On 12/14/2020 at 2:46 PM, Lewyn said:

Reward or inspiration doesn't motivate as much or as well as fear.  Republicans and right wing media have thoroughly shown that.  Also disregard the rules as much as legally possible, the political backlash is insignificant compared to the reward.  The GOP have it so easy, they won't when the left isn't afraid to fight back just as nasty.

People who belong to neither extreme will realize (if they haven't already) that the other side is just as crazy, if I'm to extrapolate and take your line of thinking to its logical ends. Do you honestly believe that people would be willing to bear witness to both sides mutually agreeing to tear each other, limb from limb, by any and all means available under the sun?

2 hours ago, Lewyn said:

What the GOP is doing is Machiavellian, what Democrats need to do is defend themselves.

The methods you suggest are Machiavellian too. Talk about the pot and the kettle.

2 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Democrats have the power to defend themselves, they simply choose not to.

Calling out the GOP in their most insufferable tendencies is tantamount to Dems exercising power to defend themselves. They know that if the GOP had its way, all institutions would bend over (in most cases, backwards) to cater to their every whim. But then, you only need take a look at how people react to the many attempts that the GOP made to disenfranchise their votes and know that the people have the GOP by the balls. See how they writhed under the face of intense public scrutiny week after week?

TL, DR: You don't get to take a page from The Despots' Playbook and not seem despotic in the process. It just won't happen. You will do well in relieving yourself of those misapprehensions.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are willing to bear witness to a wolf tearing apart a sheep on a regular basis.  So I'm sure they would be equally willing to witness the sheep trying to defend himself and fighting back.  Even if it results in continuous fighting.  In boxing people feel horrible if one guy is just getting the crap beaten out of them and not able to defend themselves.  They much prefer that both people are fighting, cause at least it seems fair.

The GOP writhe under scrutiny?  Lol, give me a break.  They are still carrying on this Trump won the election and there was major fraud.  There have been more that have stood up but many refuse to acknowledge it and Trump still hasn't conceded.  He has filed like 60 lawsuits, Texas had that Confederacy lawsuit of throwing out 4 swing states votes and have them send Trump electors essentially disenfranchising those states to give him the election.  100+ House reps signed on as well as AGs from 18 states.  Are these people suffering any consequences?  Nope.  Were their consequences when they blocked Obama's SC pick, or when they were hypocrites and allowed Trump to replace RBG?  There was tons of public scrutiny, did that change anything?  Nope.  GOP did what they wanted. 

Yes I've really taken pages from the despot rulebook, by ranting on a forum.  Lol, give me a break.  

2 hours ago, Lewyn said:

People are willing to bear witness to a wolf tearing apart a sheep on a regular basis.  So I'm sure they would be equally willing to witness the sheep trying to defend himself and fighting back.

For every person that sees a sheep trying to fight against a wolf, there is another that sees a wild ram trampling a puppy. You have to account for many perspectives when fighting what's wrong, otherwise you alienate some people and radicalize your opponents.

can we take a moment and appreciate that some right wing media is pissed that jill biden refers to herself as "dr jill biden" for having a phd

o.o feels like the right wing media wants us to idiot proof the country sometimes

Edited by Lord Raven

40 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

can we take a moment and appreciate that some right wing media is pissed that jill biden refers to herself as "dr jill biden" for having a phd

o.o feels like the right wing media wants us to idiot proof the country sometimes

What preposed logic are they using?

52 minutes ago, Jotari said:

What preposed logic are they using?

They struggle with the concept that "doctor" doesn't automatically imply "doctor of medicine". Logic, or reality, isn't really part of their argument.

(the whole thing is extra weird for me as a German native speaker because most things related to a PhD have a "Doktor" in its name. PhD student = Doktorand. Dissertation = Doktorarbeit. Thesis supervisor = Doktorvater.)

1 hour ago, ping said:

They struggle with the concept that "doctor" doesn't automatically imply "doctor of medicine". Logic, or reality, isn't really part of their argument.

(the whole thing is extra weird for me as a German native speaker because most things related to a PhD have a "Doktor" in its name. PhD student = Doktorand. Dissertation = Doktorarbeit. Thesis supervisor = Doktorvater.)

Medical experts have co opted the word doctor!

I would not be surprised if the very same people who now say miss Biden can't possibly be a real doctor don't even bother to use the same argument about Republicans with a doctorate outside medicine. 

13 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Yes I've really taken pages from the despot rulebook, by ranting on a forum.  Lol, give me a break.  

With that attitude and your batshit remarks, hardly anyone would give you a break. But I could be wrong.

10 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

For every person that sees a sheep trying to fight against a wolf, there is another that sees a wild ram trampling a puppy. You have to account for many perspectives when fighting what's wrong, otherwise you alienate some people and radicalize your opponents.

Welp, accounting for many perspectives is where he is clearly taking a walk from by espousing the kinda crap the GOP does on a daily basis.

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I would not be surprised if the very same people who now say miss Biden can't possibly be a real doctor don't even bother to use the same argument about Republicans with a doctorate outside medicine. 

Damn that's a great rant. I remember it being longer though. Maybe it's just tight writing and surprise in the moment that sells it larger the first time round.

21 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I mean, he's not wrong :lol:

(TIL that an American MD actually isn't a doctor in the sense of the word that I'm used to, even considering that the German Dr. med. is a bit of a discount Dr.)

13 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Apparently, CHAZ 2.0 is starting. This time it's over housing the homeless and getting the municipal government to return the land back to the local Native Americans.

Whether or not that this'll lead to anything, remains to be seen.

Lol that article is hella mad about liberals

Every president seems to have some iffy pardons, but it seems most of Trump's are iffy.  Most seem to be buddies or serve personal interest, seems to be little of pardoning cause the case might have been fishy and the person is innocent or was oversentenced.

Also Trump looks like he will veto Covid bill and veto Defense bill.  Oh watching Trump unhinged is a riot...or it would be if Americans didn't stupidly elect him as the most powerful person and leader of their country.  I'm hoping his actions are so outlandish it forces a sharp split in the Republican Party.  Trump forms his own party with his loyalists and splits conservatives.  

My take is that Mitch is spiteful enough to not agree, but also has not been punished for similar bullshit in the past and has no reason to do otherwise now. I believe that Trump knows this and rejected the 600 dollar proposal for 2000 precisely to fuck with all of Congress.

I personally dont give a fuck if 600 or 2000 pass. Something needs to pass. There's still aid beyond direct paychecks on the line. 2000 is way less likely to pass than 600, if I'm being real, because the Republicans and Trump are trash humans.

Trump isn't a conniving guy, but he knows how to be spiteful.

Also: Trump probably would've pocket veto'd a $600 relief bill, and McConnell will more or less kill the $2000 dollar relief bill. Dumbasses have no fucking idea that Dems in the house actually do come up with bills, but mcconnell just doesn't vote on them if they have even a sweat drop of something progressive in there.

Edited by Lord Raven

On 12/26/2020 at 2:33 AM, Lord Raven said:

My take is that Mitch is spiteful enough to not agree, but also has not been punished for similar bullshit in the past and has no reason to do otherwise now. I believe that Trump knows this and rejected the 600 dollar proposal for 2000 precisely to fuck with all of Congress.

I personally dont give a fuck if 600 or 2000 pass. Something needs to pass. There's still aid beyond direct paychecks on the line. 2000 is way less likely to pass than 600, if I'm being real, because the Republicans and Trump are trash humans.

Trump isn't a conniving guy, but he knows how to be spiteful.

Also: Trump probably would've pocket veto'd a $600 relief bill, and McConnell will more or less kill the $2000 dollar relief bill. Dumbasses have no fucking idea that Dems in the house actually do come up with bills, but mcconnell just doesn't vote on them if they have even a sweat drop of something progressive in there.

Lol raven you're a dumb cunt. How can someone be this fucking wrong about our Lord and fucking savior

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/27/politics/trump-relief-bill-christmas-eve/index.html

I'm not finding much to suggest this is 2000 in direct payments, but it still has the unemployment bonus in there on too of a funding bill to keep the government running. I think 900b corresponds to the 600 though, but I don't think Trump wants to lose the 2000.

McConnell is old as fuck and this 6 year term may be his last term. He'll concede on matters if it can cost him his power as Senate Majority Leader because it's all he really has left now that his puppet President lost.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

8 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

McConnell is old as fuck and this 6 year term may be his last term. He'll concede on matters if it can cost him his power as Senate Majority Leader because it's all he really has left now that his puppet President lost.

I don't think he will concede anything. I think he believes he can win GA without 2000. He's quite a confident little turtle.

it's pretty much taking a mistake trump made (after own team negotiated checks down to $600 lmao) and beating the republicans over the head with it. it'll fail, but it'll be difficult to spin that failure as the result of anything but republicans disdaining poor people (but i'm willing to bet there will be some valiant tries!)

i know we're conditioned to think there must be a political downside to this but there really isn't. every republican argument against the bigger checks essentially boils down to "we can't let the peasants think they can get more out of us!", and if we're content with paltry sum they're offering the message they will take away from all this will 100% be "we can offer them less and get away with it". that is more or less what's already happened.

Edited by Crysta

On 10/30/2020 at 12:07 PM, Glennstavos said:

He would only need a state with a fraction of Texas' electoral votes to be that secure. You can play around with possibilities here. But the deciding states that are being anticipated are North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Arizona, and Ohio. Texas skewing purple is surprising, but Georgia as an actual swing state is probably the weirdest.

im 2 months late and im sorry for that, but anyway 538 is exactly the site whose numbers i was alluding to in the first place. there's a reason why the deciding states were nc, ga, fl, az, and oh--they were more likely to go blue. if tx had gone blue, it'd likely have been a landslide victory for biden. like california going red.

5 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

If there's anything I have confidence in, it's the american people brushing off abuse in favor of owning libs

True that, there's also "Both parties are the same". I see this a lot and it is sad to see as someone who wants both parties to be destroyed because there's literally one side straight up acting like Disney Villains lol

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque