General US Politics

Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

Trump banned pence from the WH yesterday. That's forever ago, OldyMcOldson, get with the times.

No, it had been his Chief of Staff yesterday. Rumor/Word/News now it's now the VP himself who's banned too.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

He is openly embracing an insurrectionist... wow..... I already know they didn’t really do anything but this is just another level.

Edited by Sooks

52 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

(cautiously pokes her head in)

It's not about Trump to me. It's not about Biden. I firmly believe that we should be talking about keeping our democracy and accepting how it works. What we have here is not representing all Trump supporters. What we have here is just the extreme wackos, which exist on both sides. What we have here is grown ass adults acting like kindergartners. The class makes a lunch vote every day. Today the teacher is including pizza again, which won yesterday, and burgers is the other option. Burgers won by a nose. A few kids who voted pizza are refusing to eat the burgers. They are demanding recounts. But burgers won fair and square, they need to shut up and respect that.

I've been silent far too long. A friend has been banned from SF from this thread. Let me tell you guys, I have more civil conversations with her on Discord about politics than many middle aged adults in this country. Two autistic 29 year old girls. Because of her I will not have ill will against Trump. I voted for Biden. But the thing is, if the man in the moon got voted in as president, it would mean that's the will of the American people and that's how it is.

Please do not make me regret posting here.

We could just talk our democracy and accept how it works, but there are also a lot of issues with our democracy and the society that surrounds that democracy. Democracy isn't some kind of divine being. It's a human-made concept that can be twisted and manipulated by people. Criticization & change needs to be acceptable, so it can look for improvements and prevent corruption. 

Also, they aren't acting like kindergartners through. They aren't simply throwing a tantrum because their side lost. Many, it not most, of these people really do believe they are 'patriots' trying to save America from making a huge mistake it can never recover from. If anything, they are acting completely rational because they believe a lot more is at stake then just this election...even if what they are acting on a belief that is mainly supported by lies and conspiracy theories that are constantly repeated in an echo chamber. Telling them that they need to shut up and respect the outcome misses the point.

Does this mean that this represent all Trump supporters? No. But they form a large section of the base  that Trump is more than willing to keep activity pander to them and stir up emotions for, and this dates well back to the 2016 republican primary when this was one of the factors that enable him to win the primary and become the republican candidate.

29 minutes ago, Clear World said:

We could just talk our democracy and accept how it works, but there are also a lot of issues with our democracy and the society that surrounds that democracy. Democracy isn't some kind of divine being. It's a human-made concept that can be twisted and manipulated by people. Criticization & change needs to be acceptable, so it can look for improvements and prevent corruption. 

Also, they aren't acting like kindergartners through. They aren't simply throwing a tantrum because their side lost. Many, it not most, of these people really do believe they are 'patriots' trying to save America from making a huge mistake it can never recover from. If anything, they are acting completely rational because they believe a lot more is at stake then just this election...even if what they are acting on a belief that is mainly supported by lies and conspiracy theories that are constantly repeated in an echo chamber. Telling them that they need to shut up and respect the outcome misses the point.

Does this mean that this represent all Trump supporters? No. But they form a large section of the base  that Trump is more than willing to keep activity pander to them and stir up emotions for, and this dates well back to the 2016 republican primary when this was one of the factors that enable him to win the primary and become the republican candidate.

Well, it doesn't help that Trump kept saying that the election was stolen from him (by a narrow margin). And they certainly don't exactly have the high ground after what happened yesterday. If they want to claim that Biden is unfit for office, why not wait for something to actually happen instead of embarrassing their cause?

I'm pretty sure that things will get worse once Biden is sworn in.

52 minutes ago, Clear World said:

This is fair. I've noticed that Trump never wants to call out the bad apples in his supporter base, which only encourages them. 

20 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

If they want to claim that Biden is unfit for office, why not wait for something to actually happen instead of embarrassing their cause?

Yeah, this. They are only making themselves look bad. If Biden was unfit and something extreme happened, Congress would have him out before they could do anything too.

Edited by Dragoncat

Those aides who always tell us how afraid and disturbed they are have reported that they're again afraid and disturbed by the president's reaction to yesterday's insurrection. No doubt it made him feel very powerful. Trump admires big powerful destructive things; you can tell by the way he talks about hurricanes.

As for the conservatives now crying "we're not ALL like this these are just some fringe actors!", which is a great look when there was literally a televised swarm of MAGATs parading in the State Capitol, you're either not paying attention to the people around you or you're in the swamp too and can't recognize just how mainstream this is. Do you also believe the election was stolen?

Edited by Crysta

Yeah lets not just try to wait out these next two weeks and see what happens.

When he speaks again there's a 50/50 chance he'll compliment/encourage his supporters and 100% chance he'll make things worse.

Edited by Crysta

5 minutes ago, Crysta said:

totally not the swamp

Trump only cares about one of his kids confirmed. Again. Hell, if that's supposed to be himself first, that means he's defending the wife of his first son but not him. I assume that this is not exhaustive, but it's hilarious how true it'd be that he'd throw all his other kids under the bus.

Truly feels like there's something coming in the next weeks, I doubt Trump would get thrown out based on how the Republicans have been acting and the weird attempt to justify the entire travesty. What's being done in other areas should be interesting too, though this is a high energy event for sure.

39 minutes ago, Crysta said:

As for the conservatives now crying "we're not ALL like this these are just some fringe actors!", which is a great look when there was literally a televised swarm of MAGATs parading in the State Capitol, you're either not paying attention to the people around you

It’s also not a great look when that was exactly how they acted towards the Black Lives Matter movement (as in, saying THEY were all rioters and looters) the entire time. I think that says quite a lot.

You know that part about them uprooting democracy is all lies when he talks SO OFTEN about the election being fraudulent and the dems rigging everything. What a great showing of democracy.

12 minutes ago, Crysta said:

well i'll be damned, he just rolled over

... of course he still has two weeks to get riled up again, but he's scared right now.

I think his cabinet might have given him a list of non negotiable things he had to say on live television, and that they would support impeachment if he didn't. 

That said its a surprisingly benign speech. He didn't even say the election was stolen from him. I don't think he believes a word he said but the words are more or less correct. Except the part about him sending the guard, or trying to protect democracy.

6 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

What we have here is not representing all Trump supporters. What we have here is just the extreme wackos, which exist on both sides.

I'd be a hypocrite for not calling this out.  No more of this "both sides" bullshit.  One side clearly had an agenda, and very clearly marched on Capitol Hill yesterday.  One side has shouted about how the election was stolen.  One side filed a lot of lawsuits regarding said election, which were promptly shot down.  One side has the support of the white supremacist groups.  And one side still gets mad about wearing a face mask in public, in the middle of a pandemic.

Apparently, none of these are deal breakers to you.  But please understand why there's such a sentiment against Trump's camp - it's not an accident.