General US Politics

Ansem

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its too soon to definitively rank Trump but he's probably destined to forever bungle in the bottom three spots. 

I agree it's too soon to rank him.

Because now that he's kicked open the doors of American democratic fragility, someone with a quarter-of-a-brain could come in and be successful at what he wanted to be. Then we're left to argue in the few safe recesses of the world whether the man who destroyed the barriers, is worse than his successor who walked on in and was able to be a far more effective authoritarian.

Time alone will tell whether that happens. I'm hoping it won't.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's technically not even out of office, so in all fairness we should wait until he leaves before we rank him.

But I do think he's totally bottom tier material among presidents, the worst of the worst. There have been other historically bad presidents, of course, who might have deserved the worst of the worst more than Trump did ... had it not been for what happened on January 6th. When a president's refusal to concede and continuous repeating of a lie that the election he lost in was rigged, when he encourages his supporters to basically storm Congress and put his own fucking vice president in danger ... you are the worst of the worst.

Plus, there's the way he handled COVID-19. That would've also qualified him as the shittiest president, imo, but that's kind of icing on the cake on top of failed insurrection.

2 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

He's technically not even out of office, so in all fairness we should wait until he leaves before we rank him.

Definitely.  Who knows what ELSE he'll try. ;/

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Pardon Day 2 is on the horizon, we know it's coming! Will he try to put himself above the law?😑

"Wait, the law applies to me?!"

I still think he's going to be nowhere to be found.  Does Trump seem like the kind of guy who got to where he is WITHOUT some serious backing?

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Because now that he's kicked open the doors of American democratic fragility, someone with a quarter-of-a-brain could come in and be successful at what he wanted to be. Then we're left to argue in the few safe recesses of the world whether the man who destroyed the barriers, is worse than his successor who walked on in and was able to be a far more effective authoritarian.

The fear. It's all too real. 

I don't want to see a larger raise of Anti-antifa. 

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Damn. It seems like if Trump really actually did nothing and just shut up and let his cabinet work, the country would not be in the state it is in right now.

Oh I'm sure we haven't heard even half the horror stories from former white house staff. The buying and trading of which has already become something of its own literary industry. You think anybody'd read John Bolton's memoirs otherwise? Speaking of, maybe publishers see the risk of getting sued is far lower if you wait for Trump to leave office. I think the suit against Bolton's book is still technically contested. Or would be if Trump's remaining legal team weren't all working on the election thing.

These aides have been peddling palace intrigue bullshit to the press from the start and always furrow their brows and wring their hands when the bossman does something bad, but stay onboard specifically for their upcoming tell-all book, I'm sure.

They worry the stink of Trump will follow them to their next place of employment, but I'm willing to bet we'll be eager to overlook their complicity in favor of getting those juicy anti-Trump details.

16 minutes ago, Crysta said:

They worry the stink of Trump will follow them to their next place of employment, but I'm willing to bet we'll be eager to overlook their complicity in favor of getting those juicy anti-Trump details.

Reminds me of the fall of the Soviet Union. Many a historian rushed in to access the now-declassified (and now likely re-classified due to the rise of a new strongman) archives and get their hands on the long-secret facts that could "revolutionize" (so they sensationally said, despite examining only a handful of documents in a gold rush to get their name out first) our understanding of WWII and the Cold War. In the process of doing this, the ex-USSR official/military officer/KGB agent who took a bribe in exchange for access to that archival information, often had their name placed on the book as a co-author. So one of my professors told me.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

40 minutes ago, Crysta said:

They worry the stink of Trump will follow them to their next place of employment

They're being turned down for jobs that they're qualified for because they worked for Trump, according to Politico. And to be quite frank, I think they deserve everything that happens to them. They were a part of the Trump administaration, they were complicit with it, they knew what they were getting into, and no, I'm not accepting the "I was just following orders" defense. They chose to associate themselves with a man who tried to destroy the democratic process and that is a cross they'll have to bear for the rest of their lives.

I can believe that the enablers how have shown their faces on media outlets and have become the faces of the Trump administration may have difficulty keeping the stink off.

The ones who have mostly gone unnoticed and talked behind the veil of anonymity (most of them), though? They'll be forgotten about in two-four years. They may have difficulty finding employment in a Democratic administration for obvious reasons, but they'll have a cushy place for them in conservative circles if they're willing to settle for that. If a Republican is ever elected again, they'll be welcomed back.

They'll be fine one way or the other.

19 minutes ago, Crysta said:

The ones who have mostly gone unnoticed and talked behind the veil of anonymity (most of them), though? They'll be forgotten about in two-four years.

If I was an employer and a candidate put on their CV that they'd worked at the White House during the Trump Administration, I'd refuse to hire them regardless of what position they had. I would not want my company to have any association with his administration, no matter how insigificant their role was.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

27 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

If I was an employer and a candidate put on their CV that they'd worked at the White House during the Trump Administration, I'd refuse to hire them regardless of what position they had. I would not want my company to have any association with his administration, no matter how insigificant their role was.

That's cool, but you're not going to be their would-be employer. Not everyone in government shares the same ideology.

3 minutes ago, Crysta said:

That's cool, but you're not going to be their would-be employer.

That's why I started with the word "if", meaning that it's merely a hypothetical thing that I would do if given the chance. I'm quite aware that some, (more like most if I'm being realistic), people don't share my beliefs on this issue, and would hire them anyway.

The spectacle of the attack on the capital and the sheer brass balls of the attempted power grab have backfired so hard on republicans, it’s giving progressives some breathing room they didn’t have before to just go for the jugular.

...like...

I think full legal status + voting rights for the ~11 million immigrants without legal status currently in the country might actually be a thing we can do in the next 2 years now.

There's enough energy on the Democratic side behind "ohhhhhhhh? The Republicans say this is an assault on law-and-order and a bad-faith attempt to pack the electorate with Democrat voters? Cool. Cool. They just tried to declare themselves the winners of an election that they lost and stop the lawful transition of power to the next President of the United States--fuck em."

I'd rather they prune their own backyard first.  Arrest/remove the insiders first.

EDIT: And to preempt any stupid "both sides" argument, I'm talking about anyone that lent a hand to the January 6 nonsense.

Edited by eclipse

@Shoblongoo In your professional opinion, what do you think about Dominion's 1.3 billion dollar defamation lawsuit against Sidney Powell? Is it a sure thing, or will she be able to wriggle out of it somehow?

Edited by NinjaMonkey

On 1/16/2021 at 12:09 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

I agree it's too soon to rank him.

Time alone will tell whether that happens. I'm hoping it won't.

Yep. Our currently 2-3 worst presidents are given shit because of the civil war they let happen. I think this is going to be exactly the same idea.