General US Politics

Ansem

1 hour ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

iQXTkwn.png

'Nuff said. Absolutely no reason why witnesses shouldn't have been called.

The Math thing is completely stupid and it's just enough for Conservatives to throw a fit about it. Which side was the snowflakes again?

I had to quadruple take on the title to understand it, then I realized it's the reverse of "snatching victory from the jaws of defeat." It feels weird to read, even though it technically makes sense grammatically. Kind of an odd title.

And I'm pretty sure no one said anything about snowflakes. It did snow where I am, though, so that's neat.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

And I'm pretty sure no one said anything about snowflakes. It did snow where I am, though, so that's neat.

Snowflake is a derogatory term for a sensitive person, associated with liberals because many conservatives use it whenever anyone disagrees with anything they say politically. Ex. if someone says Trump mishandled the virus and they retort with “it’s a virus you can’t control it” and someone else says 400k died the conservative would reply with a snowflake emoji.

23 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

I had to quadruple take on the title to understand it, then I realized it's the reverse of "snatching victory from the jaws of defeat." It feels weird to read, even though it technically makes sense grammatically. Kind of an odd title.

I've seen the phrase used before. Applicable either to the incompetent or the unfortunate, in this case, the latter. It sounds grandiose, triumphant, but meaning just the opposite makes it so painful. Akin to "never missed an opportunity, to miss an opportunity".

Not that I think that phrasing is good for this particular case. "Defeat from the jaws of victory" should apply to situations where you had a strong chance at something, but blew it. The Democrats everyone knew from the start didn't have a real chance of flipping enough votes, failing to get a miracle is to be expected. If you wanted to find a "defeat from the jaws of victory" for the Democrats, it'd be failing to get more seats in the US Senate last fall, and losing many state legislatures and some House seats too.

26 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Snowflake is a derogatory term for a sensitive person, associated with liberals because many conservatives use it whenever anyone disagrees with anything they say politically. Ex. if someone says Trump mishandled the virus and they retort with “it’s a virus you can’t control it” and someone else says 400k died the conservative would reply with a snowflake emoji.

Personally, I prefer to be called sunshine, thank you. 

Jokes aside, I know what it means, lol. I was just making a joke. It did actually snow where I live, so it made sense to me to say it.

It's disheartening that people resort to petty insults like that, though. 

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I've seen the phrase used before. Applicable either to the incompetent or the unfortunate, in this case, the latter. It sounds grandiose, triumphant, but meaning just the opposite makes it so painful. Akin to "never missed an opportunity, to miss an opportunity".

Not that I think that phrasing is good for this particular case. "Defeat from the jaws of victory" should apply to situations where you had a strong chance at something, but blew it. The Democrats everyone knew from the start didn't have a real chance of flipping enough votes, failing to get a miracle is to be expected. If you wanted to find a "defeat from the jaws of victory" for the Democrats, it'd be failing to get more seats in the US Senate last fall, and losing many state legislatures and some House seats too.

I've seen it before, too (albeit the "jaws of defeat" version), but it just reads weirdly to me (so yeah, I agree that the phrasing isn't exactly very good). 

I figured the trial could have gone either way, but that's prolly because I wasn't paying much attention to it. It definitely seems like it was really short, too.

Edited by indigoasis

I'm fine with the acquittal.  Not because I don't want Trump impeached.  But because this shows that the Democrats tried.  History will look back and wonder WTF happened in America during these years.  Let it be known that it was a single stubborn party that did this - which I think was the aim of the entire trial (though getting a few Republicans on their side was also a win).

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

I'm fine with the acquittal.  Not because I don't want Trump impeached.  But because this shows that the Democrats tried.  History will look back and wonder WTF happened in America during these years.  Let it be known that it was a single stubborn party that did this - which I think was the aim of the entire trial (though getting a few Republicans on their side was also a win).

I hope this will be the tipping point that destroys the Republican Party and far right conservatism, but sadly I do not think it is going to happen.

Can we chant "Lock Him Up" at Democratic rallies now? Maybe having catchy slogans will help boost people's engagement with politics, since it dumbs thing down to a few words that even uneducated Americans can understand. We can practically just straight up plagiarize Republican propaganda, because if you think about it, all the slogans that Republicans are using (e.g.: Stop the Steal, MAGA, Lock Him/Her Up, Drain the Swamp) seems way more appropriate for Democrats to use because Republicans are the ones who are rigging elections, crippling America's economy and military and reputation, breaking a ton of laws, and soiling our government with financial and moral corruption. Republicans are just projecting themselves onto their enemies.

Edited by XRay

2 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

I'm not happy with the acquittal and wanted to see witnesses, because republicans deserve to be made to look bad on national television.

At least we had four years of that from the highest office in the land...

21 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

While the senate is something we can talk about -- they actually pretty much completely failed in Maine, for one example, and I definitely think they could've tried harder in Iowa -- the house seats that we lost in 2020 were considered to be relatively miraculous acquisitions in 2018. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The only rumblings I've heard that could justify the witnesses is the fact that the witnesses were not necessarily reliable or had reliable information. I dunno though, I would've loved to see witnesses but I also would much rather see monthly payments and weed and healthcare

The Republican side of the impeachment was mostly a sham and you gotta wonder if we should mentally screen our politicians for sociopathy lol. I also just didn't watch any of either impeachment trials, but I also don't feel like I missed out on history cuz it was just obvious that former president cocksucker was going to get acquitted by his army of cock holsters in the senate

Edited by Lord Raven

Rush Limbaugh passed away today, from lung cancer.  He did for right wing media what Newt Gringrich did for Republicans in office, create a massive fear mongering/hate machine built on scaring people about Democrats and worshipping anything Republicans did.  It changed the discussion about policy/solving problems and turned it into stop anything the Democrats do, they are evil.  

He predates Fox News, actually the big reason Fox News took off is likely cause of how popular he became.  He transformed the Republican Party completely (along with Newt).  There would be no Tea Party or Trump without him.  He destroyed civil discourse between the two parties perhaps forever.

Other lowlights include joking about saying the White House has a new dog, Chelsea Clinton, during Bill's presidency.  Saying black people don't have the intelligence to play quarterback.  Laughing at people from AIDs dying.  Saying for the longest time smoking isn't harmful and perfectly safe.  Saying 'consent' is just a Democrat word to bring the rape police.  Mocking Pete last year and his husband, saying how 'unmanly' he would look standing next to Trump on the debate stage.  

So yeah, a horrible individual that has damaged this country irreversibly and is likely responsible for countless deaths (due to his smoking comments) has passed away.  

On 2/14/2021 at 7:30 PM, Lord Raven said:

The Republican side of the impeachment was mostly a sham and you gotta wonder if we should mentally screen our politicians for sociopathy lol. I also just didn't watch any of either impeachment trials, but I also don't feel like I missed out on history cuz it was just obvious that former president cocksucker was going to get acquitted by his army of cock holsters in the senate

There are some peer-reviewed research papers that actually touch on this idea. Conservative ideologies (in a sample of 567 participants) on issues such as capital punishments and gay marriage all significantly correlated with increased Machiavellian, narcissism, and psychopathy constructs (Arvan, 2013). There was also this study that accounted for life-satisfaction between liberals and conservatives and found that conservatives were less neurotic which could explain why they have a higher "life satisfaction" score--but the lack of neuroticism has also been linked with less grievances toward inequities in society (Burton et al., 2015; Mondak & Halperin, 2008). Not trying to stir the pot here because obviously these studies are exploratory and cannot infer causation--but it's certainly interesting as the US becomes more polarized in how personality differences may account for some of the observed behaviors.   

Does empathy cause neurosis? (kind of a joke) I mean a good chunk of things are people being satisfied with stuff how they are without knowing why they need to change, and complacency (and the right wing media) builds narcissism.

Nice to see another MDer in here, though.

As a (British) conservative, I wouldn't say I am in any way a narcissist (and am offended at being labelled as such). I did agree with Trump being impeached for the insurrection, and am appalled at the behavior on the Republican side during the trial itself.

So, I thought that Biden said that nobody would be deported during his first hundred days, and yet ICE are doing it anyway. Why hasn't he stopped them, or at least de-funded them in a bid to halt this? Especially since this was one of his campaign promises.

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

So, I thought that Biden said that nobody would be deported during his first hundred days, and yet ICE are doing it anyway. Why hasn't he stopped them, or at least de-funded them in a bid to halt this? Especially since this was one of his campaign promises.

A circuit judge in Texas blocked his moratorium, and the time it would take to fight would've exceeded 100 days, anyway. So Biden decided to back off because this is something he has to play the long game with, regardless of him being over the bureaucracy.

3 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

As a (British) conservative, I wouldn't say I am in any way a narcissist (and am offended at being labelled as such). I did agree with Trump being impeached for the insurrection, and am appalled at the behavior on the Republican side during the trial itself.

Oh my bad! I forgot to mention as a disclaimer that I'm pretty sure those studies I mentioned earlier focusing solely on the US ideology of conservatism. I truthfully am not very well educated on global politics so I don't know how far I would extrapolate those research findings to other countries. I do apologize if you found any offense in my earlier post--definitely not my intention but still I'm sorry.

12 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

Does empathy cause neurosis? (kind of a joke) I mean a good chunk of things are people being satisfied with stuff how they are without knowing why they need to change, and complacency (and the right wing media) builds narcissism.

Nice to see another MDer in here, though.

*checks your post* From Maryland? ✓ Likes Claude? ✓ So far you're 2/2 in my book lol.

From my understanding of the research, affective empathy positively correlates with neuroticism although results are mixed: like in adolescents, emotional empathy doesn't really correlate well with neuroticism and there are interactions between empathy and other variables like parenting and depression that are affected by the level of neuroticism but tl;dr: there's not actually much out there to fully link empathy and neuroticism in one direction or another. 

On 2/22/2021 at 8:23 AM, NinjaMonkey said:

Question: what news do you consume?

If your answer is nowhere near along the lines of Fox News, British tabloids or similar right wing bullshittery, then you definitely don't fall under the category within the statement I made. Furthermore, if you're not American, you too are not the target of my statement.

To further compound to that question, do you agree with gay marriage? Pro-capital punishment? Are you pro-choice or anti-choice? etc

He was mentioning particular viewpoints rather than placing everyone who is "right wing" in the same tent.

On 2/22/2021 at 8:23 AM, NinjaMonkey said:

He tried to halt deportations for his first 100 days. A federal judge struck it down.

It sucks that if you're not paying attention to the news, you don't really know the limits of executive power and then you blame everything on the president. Because I'm starting to learn a lot more of them by the day.

On 2/22/2021 at 11:49 AM, Farishfyre said:

*checks your post* From Maryland? ✓ Likes Claude? ✓ So far you're 2/2 in my book lol.

im a brown person and im a hilda simp too it all works out. I also haven't lived in Ellicott City in any way, shape, or form since 2014, since my permanent address is in Laurel now and I've been living in Tucson since 2014... you'd think I would update my location (cuz uh that's been my set location for like 12 years now), but I don't feel like fixing it.

Two important elections in a row and I didn't change my voting registration to Arizona. Pretty dumb in retrospect, but at least we made it to 2021. And I'm going back to permanently live in MD after I graduate anyway.

Only 3 of 209 Republicans in the house voted for the Equality Act (for sexual orientation and gender identity (https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/5/text)) because it “infringed on their religious freedoms”... a sad day indeed. Not terribly surprising, but sad nonetheless.

29 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Only 3 of 209 Republicans in the house voted for the Equality Act (for sexual orientation and gender identity (https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/5/text)) because it “infringed on their religious freedoms”... a sad day indeed. Not terribly surprising, but sad nonetheless.

Well, you can't expect everyone to be on board in terms of religion. After all, everyone has their own take on the Bible.

Although, I'm kinda curious on what's causing the higher poverty rates in lesbian couples

Edited by Armchair General

• 4 weeks later...

There really hasn't been much news outside of the passage of the stimulus (I got my stimmy). How's everyone feeling about the administration in general?

Seems like filibuster reform is gonna happen eventually, but it won't be entirely removed.

"Boring but Radical" - Ted Cruz on Biden administration.

It has been lovely to see the GOP squirm, from their random flailing to find a good scandal on Biden and the obsession with cancel culture to their fears of the Filibuster changes/removal accelerating their party's doom.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

It's refreshing to have a president whose gaffes aren't being displayed on reputable news stations every day.  One who's actually doing his job instead of trying to be the center of attention.

It's just not a crazy man and his toadies' rambling anymore. There's still a lot of stuff happening. People getting fired left, right, and center, DeJoy about to get ousted as postmaster general, ICE receiving special attention, and DOJ going after the insurrectionists harder than the previous admin.