General US Politics

Ansem

So, how do you guys think Republicans are gonna try to convince people that a Democratic governor in a heavily Democratic state avoided getting recalled because there was voter fraud? Clearly, it's a fraud because the Republicans tried to commit fraud to win and it failed, right? XD

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

abortion bans, voter suppression bills, and "government has no legitimate role fighting COVID--this is CoMmUnIsM!!!

None of which Larry Elder (who was the only viable candidate) was campaigning on.

"government has no legitimate role fighting COVID

Considering that the Biden administration is letting in Covid positive migrants at the southern border and then transporting them to whatever state they want to go to, I don't think the government has a legitimate role in fighting Covid, since they are the ones helping it spread across the US. It's little wonder that the Supreme Court has told the Biden administration that they have to reinstate Trump's "Remain In Mexico" policy,, after the Federal goverment got sued by Missouri and Texas in a joint lawsuit..

Fact Check Time!

27 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Considering that the Biden administration is letting in Covid positive migrants at the southern border and then transporting them to whatever state they want to go to, I don't think the government has a legitimate role in fighting Covid, since they are the ones helping it spread across the US. It's little wonder that the Supreme Court has told the Biden administration that they have to reinstate Trump's "Remain In Mexico" policy,, after the Federal goverment got sued by Missouri and Texas in a joint lawsuit..

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/jul/28/tweets/us-mexico-border-not-wide-open-most-people-trying-/
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/mar/11/greg-abbott/abbott-exaggerates-covid-19-concerns-among-migrant/
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/aug/06/ron-desantis/ron-desantis-effort-blame-covid-19-spread-migrants/
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/sep/03/ted-cruz/7000-covid-positive-migrants-quarantined-mcallen-a/

Overall conclusion: False. Immigrants are constantly tested and not allowed to proceed should they test positive, instead being sent back to Mexico. The spikes in Covid cases are instead the result of the local people refusing to vaccinate, mask up, and overall follow the necessary safety precautions to help contain the virus.

Disclaimer: This is less a post to convince NinjaMonkey and more a post to not let anyone be deceived by his claims.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

19 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

None of which Larry Elder (who was the only viable candidate) was campaigning on.

Oh he absolutely made California's COVID restrictions a centerpiece of his campaign. Don't even lie. 

19 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I don't think the government has a legitimate role in fighting Covid.

Okay. Thats why you lost the White House.

Even among voters who were otherwise willing to give Republicans the benefit of the doubt or who actually liked Trump's hardline nationalist position on immigration:

Thats absolutely insane to most people. 

18 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Do you think you could post some facts from an outlet that isn't biased towards the left? I only ask because Politifact is biased towrds the left (according to what I've just seen), and I honestly don't trust it.

Thats why you lost the White House

Trust me, I lost nothing.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

2 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Do you think you could post some facts from an outlet that isn't biased towards the left? I only ask because Politifact is biased towrds the left (according to what I've just seen)

mmm

Reality has a well-known liberal bias [/s] 

Edited by Shoblongoo

Here. No secondary sourcing; here's our direct statement of public policy on medical screening of migrants presenting at the Southern Border, as currently promulgated by the CDC.

Central American Refugee Health Profile | CDC

Migration and Border Health | CDC

Considerations for Health Screening for COVID-19 at Points of Entry | CDC

Now stop being a chud.

Edited by Shoblongoo

Studies analyzing Politifact's methods have been done. Examples here:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1461670X.2021.1873818
https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2018/is-politifact-biased-this-content-analysis-says-no/

The claims that Politifact is left-biased come from the fact Republican statement come more often in the False side of the spectrum. This is not a sign of bias. It's a sign that Republicans tend to lie more than Democrats. NinjaMonkey is just applying confirmation bias. They label more Republican statements as False, ergo, to him it means the site is biased against them because he's already predispose to not believe otherwise.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Politifact definitely does have some preference towards the left but it's more like Left-center than just straight up Left. Nonetheless, you'll still find more false claims by if you do your own research, among Republicans because they have to lie or pretend they're not guilty of the same shit they accuse Democrats of in order to make any actual argument. They can continue to do it because there's people dumb enough to buy it and not see the self-admittance of how shitty the Republican party actually is when they basically say it out loud.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

2 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I'd be careful about that. Slandering migrants as bringing diseases tend to be a tactic employed by the far right. 

I'm more interested in why NinjaMonkey is so invested in American politics, considering he isn't one. Of course most Americans aren't known for doing their homework, but the ones who do post here regularly have shown that they do their research and are invested in political happenings. Since it's more likely to affect our lives, being 'Murican and all.

13 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I'm more interested in why NinjaMonkey is so invested in American politics, considering he isn't one. Of course most Americans aren't known for doing their homework, but the ones who do post here regularly have shown that they do their research and are invested in political happenings. Since it's more likely to affect our lives, being 'Murican and all.

American Politics is a rather entertaining clown show.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

6 minutes ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Shouldn't he rather be watching said clown show than getting involved in it? 😛

8 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Shouldn't he rather be watching said clown show than getting involved in it? 😛

Not if you want to feed your confirmation bias or are trolling.

Personally I have nothing against him commenting on the thread. He just comes off as an NPC with how much he seems to take at face value from the right-wing media.

On the point that was quoted earlier, I'd have no issue with immigration being halted while we're still dealing with the pandemic but the right uses that as a talking point and only cares because it's related to immigrants while you have all the BS regarding the vaccines. Specially vaccine requirements by the private sector.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

For its worth, I live in the Mexican-US border, so even if I'm not from there by association I have to have some degree of care towards what is happening over there. Specially for stuff like the California recall, since they are right next door to me, so their actions can impact us across the border.

By all means, people would be able (and probably should, considering the state of things) to mock British politics if that was the subject matter. I'd say it's only fair considering how much I've given my opinion on the US.

What I find most amusing about that recall is that Larry Elder's team set up a website accusing voter fraud before the election was even finished. So you know this is the standard for Republicans now since Trump did the same with laying the foundations before the fact, for claiming voter fraud when he lost.

Edited by Tryhard

11 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Because American politics is kinda important no matter where you life. Decisions made in America can drastically affect the rest of the world so we best pay very close attention to it. American presidential election decides things for the rest of the world too. Things like global warming for instance.

I'm somewhat invested in American politics, partially for the above mentioned reason but also because we're all in the same boat. America is not the only country with an out of control demagogue trying to undermine the system. We all have them, and frankly we've got them all decades before America did. So for most democracies Trump getting elected was a big spook. It was a sign that our out of control demagogues could take power too, and Trump's victory was certainly a big motivator for them. And if you're on the far right then Trump proves that it really is possible, you can be the biggest extremist imaginable and still get electorally rewarded for it. 

Now in hindsight this populist victory did not come to pass and the European populist would all proceed to lose after 2016(possible because Europeans reacted in horror to the complete chaos of a Trump administration) but had things gone differently it could very well have been a sign of things to come. A far right populist being elected the American president does legitimate right wing populism which carries a lot of risks. We even saw our own newest populist party grow into the American alt right in a Dutch package. 

11 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

And that too.  

The entire Newsom recall was just a proxy-war for the Trumpers. They felt that they could prove to the country that Trump really "won" the election by showing America that nobody on the left could win an election against a Trump-supported candidate. (There are wingnuts who turned out for the 1/6 Riots and donated their life savings to "Stop the Steal" who legitimately believe that if you don't count ((the fraud)), Trump won every single state including California. Nobody actually voted for Joe Biden.) 

It's called false-consensus bias.

The chucklefucks truly believe their rage and bigotry represents the majority of Americans. And they're endlessly confused when objective reality refuses to conform to that assumption.

Edited by Shoblongoo

19 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

You are such a bad poster you should be banned from posting in this thread.

On 9/15/2021 at 5:00 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

Do you think you could post some facts from an outlet that isn't biased towards the left? I only ask because Politifact is biased towrds the left (according to what I've just seen), and I honestly don't trust it.

Look at the fucking arguments and sources and make a decision. If you can't handle bias, that's on you for garbage critical thinking skills.

Or better yet, find a source yourself if you have no arguments.

How have you survived being on this forum for like 13 years? Jesus Christ.

Edited by Lord Raven

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but the United States of America is suing the state of Texas over its detection of Embryo Pacemaker signals bill (which they in error refer to as the Fetal Heartbeat bill, despite the fact that at that stage in development it is an embryo, and has yet to develop a heart...).

As for the attempted recall of Newsom, I am not surprised at all by the results. I still remember the shitshow that was the last recall, and Newsom did nothing that would warrant a repeat of that. The debate really cemented this stance, as it made it clear that most of them were incompetent, and the tiny handful that didn't were rather outed as to their motives by the question asked of whether or not they would accept the election results. Whole thing convinced me to put Gavin Newsom as a write-in candidate for the second half...

As for NinjaMonkey's posts, I rather appreciate their existence, as it shows a glimpse of the mentality, and ideals that Trump supporters hold. These kind of people are a part of America, and understanding the way they reject facts they don't like, redirect critics of their policy into attacks on the opposition (not to mention the uncomfortably large amount of these ideas that come from foreign elements) is a useful to observe in small doses like this.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

As for NinjaMonkey's posts, I rather appreciate their existence, as it shows a glimpse of the mentality, and ideals that Trump supporters hold. These kind of people are a part of America, and understanding the way they reject facts they don't like, redirect critics of their policy into attacks on the opposition (not to mention the uncomfortably large amount of these ideas that come from foreign elements) is a useful to observe in small doses like this.

Is it? The guy's british.