Ansem

General US Politics

Latest in the chain of "things the GOP strikes down despite the people voting for it":

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/11/24/south-dakota-supreme-court-kills-recreational-marijuana-law-approved-voters

I think this is the second time I've seen it be about recreational marijuana laws. The first being the Mississippi case where it was killed because their Fifth Congressional District no longer exists.

Anyway, another highlight is that the legal fees to strike it down were paid by the state itself. As in, the voters' own tax money was used against them.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

21 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Latest in the chain of "things the GOP strikes down despite the people voting for it":

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/11/24/south-dakota-supreme-court-kills-recreational-marijuana-law-approved-voters

I think this is the second time I've seen it be about recreational marijuana laws. The first being the Mississippi case where it was killed because their Fifth Congressional District no longer exists.

Anyway, another highlight is that the legal fees to strike it down were paid by the state itself. As in, the voters' own tax money was used against them.

As someone who actually hates the smell of pot, I really don't care. But it's kind of chilling that 54% of the voters actually wanted to legalize it and the politicians are trying to overrule them.

Sounds like a good way to lose your chances at staying in office, in my opinion.

Edited by Armchair General

47 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

As someone who actually hates the smell of pot, I really don't care. But it's kind of chilling that 54% of the voters actually wanted to legalize it and the politicians are trying to overrule them.

Sounds like a good way to lose the re-election, in my opinion.

Well, if you want an example not related to marijuana, there was a case where voters approved on expanding Medicaid in Missouri, but the GOP tried to strike it down too:

https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/payer/missouri-supreme-court-rules-state-s-medicaid-expansion-constitutional-reversing-lower-court

Fortunately, they were overturned. But yeah, it's not new the GOP is trying to subvert the will of the voters. The Mississippi case was like 74% approval.

---

Found a Gerrymander related case from Ohio:

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/24/1058973471/despite-voter-approved-anti-gerrymandering-reforms-ohio-gop-still-draws-lopsided

Edited by Acacia Sgt

6 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Sounds like a good way to lose your chances at staying in office, in my 

I would generally be in favour of legalisation  of everything, but as far as democracy goes I think 54% is a little low a majority for wide sweeping changes. That still means there are a hell of a lot of people not on board with it (though given the specifics of this case I'd assume a lot of the non  voters would have been on  board too). Not that I think my specific view of democracy is what drives politician as indicated by that second 70% over turn that was quoted.

On a similar subject:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/382/BillText/Filed/PDF

A Republican Floridan State Senator plans to file a bill that would, as the very top text states, to:

to authorize the Legislature to establish a minimum training wage rate lower than the Florida minimum wage rate which employers may elect to pay employees for the first 6 months of employment.

It should be noted last year the people of Florida voted for an increase of the state minimum wage. So basically the state senator wants to give employers the option to pay new employees even less for half a year to counter the raise of the minimum wage.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I was planning on studying in Africa next year, but the omicron variant was giving me pause. But now it seems like it doesn't even make a differnce. Any new variant is going to spread like wildfire no matter where it starts.

Edited by Jotari

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

I was planning on studying in Africa next year, but the omicron variant was giving me pause. But now it seems like it doesn't even make a differnce. Any new variant is going to spread like wildfire no matter where it starts.

Well, it's kind of given that this virus will mutate into another variant. As for how it fits into the grand scheme of things; the important thing to remember is that nobody knows, at this point, but several countries have issued travel bans against South Africa.

58 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Well, it's kind of given that this virus will mutate into another variant. As for how it fits into the grand scheme of things; the important thing to remember is that nobody knows, at this point, but several countries have issued travel bans against South Africa.

My main point is that it doesn't really matter that its in South Africa (or rather southern Africa as thats what pertains to me), as within a month and a half it'll be equally speead everywhere. Travel bans are good in theory, but in practice the world is much too globamized for them to really work.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

My main point is that it doesn't really matter that its in South Africa (or rather southern Africa as thats what pertains to me), as within a month and a half it'll be equally speead everywhere. Travel bans are good in theory, but in practice the world is much too globamized for them to really work.

I get where you coming from, it's just that we're at the point where any solution that could work (outside of finding something that actively kills off the virus) gets mired by the fact that a large swath of modern society can't function under being quarantined or being unproductive for several weeks at a time. 

First case reported in Minnesota.

Because somebody went to an anime con in New York.

I always knew weebs would be my undoing.

18 hours ago, Slumber said:

First case reported in Minnesota.

Because somebody went to an anime con in New York.

I always knew weebs would be my undoing.

On one hand, this is kinda funny.

On the other hand, looming death.

You just can't make this stuff up.