QOTD IV!! 884: Who should be next QOTD master and why, or should it die?

man am I glad you didn't ask this two days ago, if you had I would've had to answer "some lame textbook" or s/t

actually the most recent thing to arrive at my house might be a set of calligraphy markers at this point? not sure whether those have arrived yet

e: I'm dumb they're being shipped to the uni apartment place, not my house, and I haven't received notification of them yet

Edited by Euklyd

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a super junior t-shirt

edit:

wait shit my communication class textbook came after that

well that's not nearly as fun

Edited by Specta

Shipped to house: A new laptop; am picking it up later today.

addendum: a new DENTED laptop, thanks fedex

since my woman is a jerk and posted my last package already my second last package is the infinitely cooler FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R5 computer case, literally the greatest case in existence.

now it's time for a special qotd experiment

QUESTION SEVEN HUNDRED: Open Season 1: DLC

HERE'S THE RULES

unlike a normal qotd, you folks are supposed to engage one another and talk about shit. it's a debate, imagine it's serious discussion but with an omnipresent mod, so play nice.

the major rule is that nobody responds to anyone about the qotd after the next qotd is posted. i hit go on that next button, it's a full gag order, debate's done, move on with your lives.

WITH THAT SAID: how do you feel about the trend of DLC in video games? fire away and at each other

DLC's not a bad thing, but I miss the old, properly big expansions - was Enemy Within really the last big one for a significant game?

regarding my philosophies for how games should be made, how developers should want to do things, etc., i feel that they should forget about dlc whilst making the game. then, once the game itself is finished, you can start building an empire around the game in the form of expansions. just look at the hideous creature that is destiny for proof. it's important to focus on the actual game before you think about adding to it.

from a business standpoint, dlc can be done in pretty much any way at any time. $$$$ cha-ching baby (if the franchise has a name to it, eg call of duty).

the general trend at this point is two things: for one, dlc no longer feels sincere (no one is following my phil. to a t). for two, it definitely feels forced for games because of the business point i made.