QOTD IV!! 884: Who should be next QOTD master and why, or should it die?

Once upon a time one of the electrical outlets in my room was acting up and usually the problem is that I would need to tighten one or both the screws holding it in place

but I did that and it wasn't working that time so something else was up

I pulled off the cover and investigated it

I think I had found what was loose, so I tried to find out what I was supposed to do to fix it back

as I was fiddling with it I was wondering "huh, what is that weird vibration.... and buzzing feeling?"

yeah I wonder

it took me a second or two later to realize what I was feeling from a live electrical outlet

I was no younger than twenty

in fact that was probably not even a year ago

you can probably tell that this is the same girl who has a scar on her finger because when she was a baby who learned to crawl around the house she decided to touch that pretty bright ball of light sitting on a desk

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uh... Everything in life? I mean, I'm always clumsy and falling over everything. Like even yesterday (I think it was yesterday) or maybe Saturday, I was getting up from my desk when I nearly tripped over my 3DS charging cable and the 3DS went flying to the floor. For the nth time.

And then the previous time was when I went to the post office to pick up my Suwako suku, I somehow tripped over nothing and completely fell over. \o/

Or when I fell while walking in the street after buying some glass bottles of coke, scraping both my knees pretty badly, broken glasses, a coke-soaked suku, a palm that got slightly cut from the broken glasses and then walking with bleeding knees.

Well this is everyday for me...

I drop almost everything I hold but because you're asking for a story, I one time dropped a whole case of sauce packets on the floor. Not all of them broke but for inventory reasons, I had to count all of the broken ones and clean the unbroken ones. The total count was 56 btw. OTL

That's worse than tripping on flat ground which I do pretty often. I swear it's because of the grooves in the tiles!

Oh no wait, the worst is being sent on an errand at work. I was to drive to another store that was about 45 minutes away to get cups and deliver onions. I've...never been there on my own before and never learned how to use my GPS on my phone. I was gone for 6 hours. SIX HOURS. I spent the whole day calling the store, asking for directions, and just panicking. My boss felt so bad for me that he wasn't even mad anymore by the time I got back.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to say, because I'm prone to anxiety, I spent most of that day thinking to myself that if I get in an accident and die, I died over FUCKING CUPS.

Not even nice cups.

Paper cups

Edited by Hatsuoki

one day i decided to play a mmo

nine months later

you had a baby?

I once managed to drop a $2 coin I was trying to pay a guy with.

Five seperate fucking times.

In a queue.

In front of my fling.

Given that I was buying alcohol, I'm just grateful they didn't consider that a reason to deny me service...

Well this is a dumb story.

The neighbor hood I lived in before had this large concrete hill that you could go up. I used to be really close with all my neighbors and eventually one of the kids went up the concrete hill with their scooters and scooter'd down. I thought it looked really fun so I did it too. Eventually, one day I decided to be daring and go ALL THE WAY UP.

That didn't end so well. What happened was as I went down my scooter tripped over a pebble and thankfully I didn't somersault to my death but I rolled down this hill dangerously. I was left covered in blood, bruises, and crying. I still have some scars of it on my body but most of them have healed. I also chipped the crown of my front teeth, but I got that filled in.

MORAL of the story. Don't scooter down concrete hills!

One time I tried jumping off a diving board but slipped on the board in a way where I fell straight down and ended up straddling the board, and then fell over straight in the water with the most stinging horrible pain thanks to my legs being cut by the diving board while falling over and also the chlorine getting in said cuts

I slipped out of the shower once and it kinda hurt

I have a noticeable scar on my knee from one of the times I fell

I'd like to think I have better balance now

I don't have any fun lengthy stories but I do occasionally smack into my door handle

and given I'm a computer scientist with way too many wires around me at a given time, nearly trip over said wires on a semi-regular basis (i say nearly because I'm good at catching myself)

Also there was once it was 4am and I was looking at this math problem for the longest time and was like HOW TF DID THEY SIMPLIFY TO THAT and I was staring so hard (mind I have a degree in applied math, so this is considered pretty dumb for me)

then I went to sleep after cramming whatever I can shove into my head, woke up, looked at that problem again and figured out how to simplify the problem in about 2.5 seconds

turns out I can only really do programming in a half-asleep state and not math, math game not quite strong enough

Edit: oh wait I have a story I remember now

So I was at a bbq some time after I played my first Assassin's Creed and I began seeing everything as possible climbable surfaces, though I do enjoy climbing trees prior to that anyway

So I was waiting for like, the next burger to cook and decided to climb this tree in the yard because it looked pretty climbable

But being the dumbass I am I did it in fucking FLIP FLOPS and fell and fucked up my ankle

Good thing it was summer break so I did not have to get out of bed for that entire week, and I still had issues going down stairs for about 3 months after

Edited by Thor Odinson

I've dropped a small but dense porcelain plate on my toe, which caused it to crack and turn blue I think (though it healed naturally just fine), slammed my thumb in a car door when on my way into a martial arts class (just remembered the details of how my dad rushed me into the school's bathroom while crying to touch it up, then right back out without anybody in the school saying anything, which were details I could've gone without remembering), tripped on some poor jerk's accidentally-outstretched foot and hit my head on a bookshelf, which needed 10 stitches to fix up and turned my already-enormous forehead into a lethal weapon, and failed to get through childhood without getting my head stuck in a bannister

Also, I once accidentally fell in P.E. such that I landed in a full split, which would've been cool, except the strain on my legs had me crying immediately upon hitting the ground

These may be a bit more wincey than funny, I am realizing a bit late, sorry

Edited by Rehab

When I was like 9 or 10, at some sort of a convention event at the local public library, I may have accidentally put the elevator out of order by pressing a bunch of buttons. I got out of the elevator and went downstairs to where all the adults were, crowded around the elevator, wondering why it wasn't working. I felt pretty bad.

I've dropped a small but dense porcelain plate on my toe, which caused it to crack and turn blue I think (though it healed naturally just fine), slammed my thumb in a car door when on my way into a martial arts class (just remembered the details of how my dad rushed me into the school's bathroom while crying to touch it up, then right back out without anybody in the school saying anything, which were details I could've gone without remembering), tripped on some poor jerk's accidentally-outstretched foot and hit my head on a bookshelf, which needed 10 stitches to fix up and turned my already-enormous forehead into a lethal weapon, and failed to get through childhood without getting my head stuck in a bannister

Also, I once accidentally fell in P.E. such that I landed in a full split, which would've been cool, except the strain on my legs had me crying immediately upon hitting the ground

These may be a bit more wincey than funny, I am realizing a bit late, sorry

That made me remember the time where I dropped a 5lb metal weight on my foot

Was not a pleasant experience

i don't have time to tell a story because guild wars 2 just got its christmas patch

QUESTION SEVEN HUNDRED AND SEVENTY: Tell us a story in which you do something cool or clever!

769- I'm constantly doing embarrassing things so I could have a dozen examples but here's just one

I've got a pretty rich friend who had me overnight last year. His mom brought us to the Mexican restaurant in town, it wasn't bad. I guess I got food poisoning or something. I was sleeping in a room in the top floor but I woke up in the middle of the night to puke, had to go down a floor to the bathroom. Puked q little on the way there and couldn't hold it in, had to spend around 30 minutes scrubbing the floor where it fell.

Today - gave my umbrella to a stranger on a rainy street once. Felt pretty good.

Okay so remember when I was lamenting it was no longer the 'gush a paragraph about something you're passionate in' QOTD

Well

This is it

So I was doing my AI homework and the last assignment is Machine Learning and we're assigned to write a Naive Bayesian Classifier on ascii-based images handwriting recognition and well

I just did my final project for computer vision so my brain's still in full on matrix mode

So I'm like hmmmm what can I do for this

Oh yeah

MATRIX MATH

so I convert the entire fucking double list (it was python) to a matrix, cache all the probabilities, and when it comes times to test all the test images all I had to do is flip the bits on the feature map for the given image (it's 0 if background, 1 if foreground) and subtract the cached conditional probability map matrix from that (one operation on my end!), then just do product of all the elements of the matrix (another single operation!) and take the absolute value to remove whatever negatives I created from the subtraction to get the total conditional probability

so something that'd normally taken like, 2 double loops to do in normal programming is now done in a whooping 3 lines of code I was impressed with myself about that

bless numpy

bless python

bless me because I did that part of the assignment in like 4 hours and I've often complained that cs grad homework takes like, 12 hours to do per assignment if I'm lucky well (okay there's a part 2 to that, that took me longer, but)

4 hours is NOTHING in programmer time holy shit

also I pull the same cache-and-average trick in my computer vision final project and me and my partner only took 2 days to do it and it had some complicated ass-shit but we got an 85 so that was not too bad at all

Edited by Thor Odinson

Clumsy - I tripped and fell at my high school graduation, on stage. Both my mom and dad facepalmed.

Clever - Way back when FE11 drafting started, I got the weird idea to use the Geosphere on the final stage, because screw those two staffbots. It's been my go-to strategy ever since then, and it makes the chapter much less rage-inducing!