Pokemon ConquestxFire Emblem: Fates (Planning and Outline)

Alisa180

I'll be honest: I've been thinking of doing a PokemonxFire Emblem crossover for a while, using Pokemon Conquest as a primary inspiration. While my attempts at doing so fell flat with Awakening, with Fates I'm suddenly finding the idea with new life again. And so, this topic concerns the planning of the story. Feedback, input, and comments are welcome! Especially concerning the Pokemon assigned to characters.

Here's my notes and planning so far:

Concerning Pokemon Assignment

• Each character non-neutral character has a 'foil'/counterpart on the the other side of the conflict. At first, the idea was to give each recruitable character on the Nohr side a Pokemon that was exclusive to Pokemon Black/Black 2, and give their respective 'foil' characters the version exclusive counterpart from Pokemon White/White 2. For example, Elise and Sakura are counterparts, being the 'little sister' for the Nohr side and Hoshido sides respectively. Elise, in current planning, has been given Cotonee, a Black version exclusive, as her Pokemon. White Sakura has been given Cotonee's White exclusive counterpart, Petili, as her Pokemon.
  • That said, that did break down a little as planning went on, especially once I decided each of the siblings minus Sakura and Elise should receive a Pokemon capable of Mega Evolution, mostly for the later phases of the story. Still, I kept to the idea of 'version exclusive foils' for 99% of the recruitable characters. For instance, if a suitable pair couldn't be found from Black and White/Black 2 and White 2, I would use a pair from X and Y versions instead, with Y for Nohr and X for Hoshido.
  • The most notable instance of this happening was in assigning the Pokemon for Marx and Ryouma. Originally, Marx was going to get Garchomp, while Ryouma would recieve Dragonite. This was based on how you would recieve Gible as a gift in Black 2 at a certain point, while in White 2 you would recieve Dratini. Unfortunetly, once I started working in Mega Evolutions, I had to change their signature Pokemon for the obvious reason that Dragonite does not have a Mega Evolution (Damn you, Game Freak!).
  • Version exclusives vary from game to game naturally (such as in Diamond and Pearl, Tyranitar and Salamence are version exclusive counterparts to Diamond/Pearl respectively, while in X/Y, Tyranitar's counterpart (seems to be) Aggron instead), but the versions assigned to each nation in determining Pokemon assignments are as follows:
  • Nohr: Black, Black 2, Y, Alpha Sapphire, FireRed, HeartGold. Hoshido: White, White 2, X, Omega Ruby, LeafGreen, SoulSilver.
  • Provided I'm not forgetting anything from all my rearrangements, the only time I knowingly broke the version assignment was in determining the Pokemon of Arthur (Harold) and Subaki (Tsubaki). And that's for the simple reason that not giving Arthur Braviary (A White exclusive otherwise) would probably be a federal crime somewhere.

UPDATE 7/31/15: The Pokemon list has been changed, and at least some of the above no longer applies. You can find the new list further down.

*Further Pokemon Notes*

• The concept of 'Warriors' from Pokemon Conquest, those who can 'link' with Pokemon, is a thing in this universe.
  • Speaking of Pokemon...They actually aren't referred to as such in the story. The Pokemon movie, Arceus and the Jewel of Life, revealed Pokemon weren't called such until after the development of catching devices (Apricot balls, and later Pokeballs). As this setting lacks any such capture device, it instead uses the term from that movie.
  • In Arceus and the Jewel of Life, Pokemon were referred to as majuu, literally 'demon-beast.' This was translated to 'magical creature' when the movie was dubbed. I actually snuck in this discrepancy as a fun touch in the story. Nohr calls the Pokemon 'magical creatures,' while Hoshido refers to them as 'demon-beasts.'
  • Lilith isn't in this story. Instead, her role is taken up by none other then Latias. Latias has a canon maid human from courtesy of Pokemon Special:

636px-Latias_Maid_Adventures.png

• Her backstory is mostly the same as Lilith, in that Kamui found her injured, and helped nurse her back to health. Afterwards, she assumed this form and served her in secret. The main difference is that she's mute (because only a special few Pokemon are going to have the 'talking' ability, and I've decided none of them are going to be under the command of humans), and communicates mainly through gestures and body language before the reveal. She's called Eana before the reveal, but that was a name everyone gave her, since she could not tell them her actual one. She's actually quite clingly towards Kamui, but trusted because she's helped drive off enemies in the past. Given how they're unaware she's a Pokemon in disguise, they assume any manifestation of her powers is some strange, unknown form of magic. While the nature of her powers is unknown before the reveal, it's generally accepted that she is not one you want to mess with.
  • Like in the games, she outs herself to save Kamui from falling into the Infinite Chasm. I'm still figuring out how to handle the fact that Kamui got transported into another dimension from there, 'cause the plot isn't looking like it will be easy to write out that point. The current idea I'm kicking around is something involving Hoopa.
  • Afterwards, Latias joins Kamui's team, though she still spends a good chunk of her time in maid form.

*Warrior and Pokemon List*

Here's the updated Pokemon assignments, following a Conquest format with each character having a Type Specialty, a Warrior Skill, starting Pokemon, and a Perfect Link. The Pokemon are listed as "Pokemon Name-Move Name-Ability Name." The Warrior Skills are still in progress, and as such most characters right now have their personal skills from Fates as a placeholder.

*Neutral*

Corrin
Specialty: Water/Dragon
Warrior Skill: Mysterious Appeal (Raise Attack, and Defense of all allied Pokemon for 3 turns)
Pokemon: Wartortle-Bubblebeam-Torrent, Eevee-Quick Attack-Celebrate, Latias-Mist Ball-Levitate
Perfect Link: Latias, *SPOILER*
Azura
Specialty: Water
Warrior Skill: Healing Song (Allied Pokemon recover HP)
Pokemon: Altaria-Dragon Pulse-Lullaby
Perfect Link: Marill/Azumarill
Jakob
Specialty: Normal
Warrior Skill: Absolute Protection (Raises Defense of all allies for 1 turn)
Pokemon: Minccino-Doubleslap-Confidence
Perfect Link: Minccino->Cinccino
Felicia
Specialty: Ice
Warrior Skill: Absolute Support (Raises Attack and Defense of Warrior's Pokemon and adjacent allies for 2 turns)
Pokemon: Cubchoo-Powder Snow-Stealth
Perfect Link: Cubchoo-Beartic
Kaze
Specialty: Bug
Warrior Skill: Miraculous Save When user is the support unit, the lead unit has a Luck% chance of surviving a fatal attack with 1 HP
Pokemon: Scyther-Fury Cutter-Swarm
Perfect Link: Scyther->Scizor
Silias
Specialty: Flying
Warrior Skill: Empathy (Restores HP of Warrior's Pokémon and adjacent allies.)
Pokemon: Pidgeot-Hurricane-Keen Eye
Perfect Link: Pidgeot

*Nohr*

Xander
Specialty: Dark/Dragon
Warrior Skill: Way of the Knight (Raises Attack and Defense)
Pokemon: Seviper-Poison Tail-Shed Skin, Aeigislash-Sacred Sword-King's Shield
Perfect Link: Deino->Hydreigon, *SPOILER*
Leo
Specialty: Electric
Warrior Skill: Cold-blooded When enemy’s HP is not full, damage +3 and damage received -1 during the battle
Pokemon: Manectric-Discharge-Static
Perfect Link: Manectric
Camilla
Specialty: Ghost
Warrior Skill: Bewitching Flower Adjacent allies deal 3 extra damage and receive 1 less damage
Pokemon: Sableye-Shadow Sneak-Keen Eye
Perfect Link: Sableye
Elise
Specialty: Grass/Fairy
Warrior Skill: Beautiful Flower Adjacent allies deal 1 extra damage and received 3 less damage
Pokemon: Conttonee-Absorb-Dodge
Perfect Link: Flabebe->Floette
Gunther
Specialty: Steel
Warrior Skill: Absolute Offence (Raises Attack and accuracy of all allied Pokemon for 1 turn)
Pokemon: Skarmory-Steel Wing-Sturdy
Perfect Link: Skarmory
Effie
Specialty: Ground/Poison
Warrior Skill: Super Strength When user’s Strength is 5 or more points higher than the enemy’s Strength, damage +3 during battle
Pokemon: Nidorina-Poison Fang-Poison Point
Perfect Link: Nidorina->Nidoqueen
Arthur
Warrior Skill: Unlucky Soul Enemies within a 2 tile radius have their Critical Evade reduced by 15, while the user’s Critical Evade is reduced by 5
Pokemon: Braviary-Sky Drop-Hero
Perfect Link: Braviary
Zero
Specialty: Dark
Warrior Skill: Nohrian Restraint When there is a Prison in My Castle, the user can select the “Capture” command. If a generic enemy is defeated, they will be sent to the Prison
Pokemon: Mightyena-Crunch-Intimidate
Perfect Link: Mightyena
Odin
Specialty: Fighting
Warrior Skill: Blood-tingling When equipped with a forged weapon whose name is written with 8 kanji, Critical rate +10
Pokemon: Hawlucha-Flying Press
Perfect Link: Hawlucha
Belka
Specialty: Poison
Warrior Skill: Ambush Duty When user triggers the battle, if the enemy cannot counter-attack, damage +4
Pokemon: Golbat-Poison Fang
Perfect Link: Golbat->Crobat
Luna
Specialty: Psychic
Warrior Skill: Competitive When user is the support unit, if the lead unit triggers a critical hit, the user is guaranteed a critical hit (if their attack connects)
Pokemon: MeowsticF-Psyshock-Instinct
Perfect Link: Meowstic
Pieri
Specialty: Rock
Warrior Skill: Killer Instinct When user triggers the battle and defeats the enemy, Strength, Magic, Skill and Speed +4 for one turn
Pokemon: Anorith-Fury Cutter-Jagged Edge
Perfect Link: Anorith->Armaldo
Laswald
Specialty: Grass
Warrior Skill: Azure Dance When used as a command, Strength and Speed +1 to all allies within a 2 tile radius for one Turn
Pokemon: Roserade-Petal Dance-Poison Point
Perfect Link: Roserade
Nyx
Warrior Skill: Curse Reflection When enemy triggers the battle and inflicts magical damage, the enemy receives half the same damage
Pokemon: Misdreavus-Astonish-Levitate
Perfect Link: Misdreavus->Mismagius
Charlotte
Specialty: Fairy
Warrior Skill: Woman’s Nature When engaging a female enemy, Damage +4 and Critical rate +20
Pokemon: Granbull-Play Rough-Intimidate
Perfect Link: Granbull
Benoit
Warrior Skill: Intimidate (Makes enemies flinch)
Pokemon: Ursaring-Slash-Guts
Perfect Link: Ursaring
Flannel
Specialty: Fire
Warrior Skill: Pick Up Luck% chance of obtaining 3 Minerals or Foodstuffs after moving up to the 7th Turn
Pokemon: Growlithe-Fire Fang-Flash Fire
Perfect Link: Growlithe->Arcanine
Asyura
Specialty: Ice
Warrior Skill: Dirty Fight When user triggers the battle, if the enemy cannot counter-attack, enemy’s Strength and Speed -3 after the battle (stats recover by 1 each Turn)
Pokemon: Sneasal-Faint Attack-Inner Focus
Perfect Link: Sneasal->Weavile

*Hoshido*

Ryoma
Specialty: Electric/Dragon
Warrior Skill: Way of the Samurai When user is the lead unit, if their Level is higher than their support unit’s Level, Critical rate +10, damage +2 and damage received -2
Pokemon: Zangoose-Crush Claw, Crawdaunt, Dewott
Perfect Link: Luxray, *SPOILER*
Hinoka
Specialty: Steel
Warrior Skill: Encouragement Allies within a 2 tile radius deal 2 extra damage
Pokemon: Mawile-Iron Head-Intimidate
Perfect Link: Mawile
Takumi
Specialty: Dark
Warrior Skill: Rivalry When user is the lead unit and their Level is lower than their support unit’s Level, Critical rate +10, damage +3 and damage received -1
Pokemon: Houndoom-Crunch-Flash Fire
Perfect Link: Houndoom
Sakura
Specialty: Grass/Fairy
Warrior Skill: Little Cheer Allies within a 2 tile radius receive 2 less damage
Pokemon: Petili-Mega Drain-Nurse
Perfect Link: Cherubi->Cherrim
Rinkah
Warrior Skill: Flame Blood When user’s HP is not full, damage +4
Pokemon: Combusken-Flame Charge-Balze
Perfect Link: Combusken->Blazikein
Saizou
Specialty: Bug
Warrior Skill: Explosive Flame When user triggers the battle at under half HP, the user and enemies within a 2 tile radius have their HP reduced by 20%
Pokemon: Ninjask-X-Scissor-Instinct
Perfect Link: Ninjask
Kagerou
Specialty: Water
Warrior Skill: Ninja Reversal When user receives damage from a Kunai attack, the enemy receives half the same damage and the Kunai’s stat reduction effect
Pokemon: Frogaider-Water Pulse-Torrent
Perfect Link: Frogaider->Greninja
Hana
Specialty: Fighting
Warrior Skill: Tomboy When user triggers the battle and defeats an enemy, enemies adjacent to the user have their HP reduced by 20%
Pokemon: Hitmontop-Triple Kick-Intimidate
Perfect Link: Hitmontop
Subaki
Warrior Skill: Perfectionist When user’s HP is at maximum, Hit rate and Avoid +15
Pokemon: Persian-Slash-Limber
Perfect Link: Persian
Hinata
Specialty: Ground
Warrior Skill: Desperate Struggle When user is under half HP, half the damage received by Swords, Lances or Axes is also dealt to the enemy
Pokemon: Sandslash-Earthquake-Sandpit
Perfect Link: Sandslash
Oboro
Specialty: Grass/Poison
Warrior Skill: Nohr-hater When engaging a Nohr-related enemy, damage +3
Pokemon: Gloom-Mega Drain-Life Force
Perfect Link: Gloom->Vileplume/Bellosom
Asama
Warrior Skill: Divine Retribution When user doesn’t have a weapon equipped and they sustain damage from an adjacent enemy, the enemy receives half the same damage.
Pokemon: Audino-Pound-Medic
Perfect Link: Audino
Setsuna
Specialty: Rock
Warrior Skill: Absent-minded When user is healed by a staff, they recover 1.5 times the normal HP
Pokemon: Lileep-Ancientpower-Shield
Perfect Link: Lileep->Cradily
Tsukuyomi
Warrior Skill: Arrogance When user’s Level is lower than the enemy’s (promoted units count as Level +20), damage +3
Pokemon: Fearow-Drill Peck-Keen Eye
Perfect Link: Fearow
Orochi
Specialty: Psychic
Warrior Skill: Hoshidan Capture When there is a Prison in My Castle, the user can select the “Capture” command. If a generic enemy is defeated, they will be sent to the Prison
Pokemon: Chimecho-Psyshock-Levitate
Perfect Link: Chimecho
Nishiki
Warrior Skill: Gratitude When a unit uses a healing staff on the user, that unit has their HP recovered by half the same amount
Pokemon: Vulpix-Fire Spin-Flash Fire
Perfect Link: Vulpix->Ninetales
Yukimura
Warrior Skill: Tactical Teachings Hit rate +5 for all allies
Pokemon: Banette-Phantom Force-Frighten
Perfect Link: Banette

*Pokemon Notes*
  • Corrin's team has changed (again), but that's fine since I came to the realization that she had a Mega without Lucario. Take a wild guess what.
  • Xander and Ryoma are no longer going to get Megas. But don't worry, they are far from getting the short end of the stick. Just having Megas on top of everything else that due to happen to them was too much to ask from their character arcs.
  • I eased up on the 'foil' theme, but I made sure it remained a thing for the siblings for their 'main' starting Pokemon. However, for the older brothers and younger sisters, their Perfect Links are foils, but instead what's fitting for them. Insert something about representing character development here.

*Plot Notes*

• The story follows the Invisible Kingdom storyline...for a while, at least. It changes significantly after a certain point, though the basic underlying stuff (uniting both the Nohr and Hoshido families, then fighting Hydra in the Invisible Kingdom) remain the same. The path just twists a bit on the way there.
  • In keeping with the Black and White theme, the changed plot will involve Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyruem. You can probably speculate what that's going to entail from that. I'm withholding spoilers.
  • I'll give one hint though: The Fire Emblem is still a thing in this story, and it still plays a pivitol role in the plot. But there's a caveat: The Fire Emblem in this story is NOT the same as the Fire Emblem in Fates. A different artifact serves as the titular object.

*Current Story Progress*

• Due to my trouble handling the 'prologue dream' when attempting my Awakening novelization, I have decided to skip it in this story and save myself some grief.
  • First couple chapters are currently in the process of being re-written, in light of revelation concerning Conquest's mechanics courtesy of the Conquest manga.

Once again, feedback, inputs, and comments are welcome! Especially on Pokemon assignments. Hope you enjoyed reading this, and watch this space for my progress.

Update 7/24/15:

• Added Gunther, Yukimura, Joker, Felicia, and Flora
  • I changed Corrin's team a bit, which involved swallowing a few of my own rules. I tried to avoid Lucario because it tends to be 'cliche', and it was also the signature Pokemon of one of the Lord characters from Awakening. But over time, Combusken (and it's later planned evolution into Blazikein) seemed less and less fitting. That, and no one is ever going to see the Awakening story. I needed one of Corrin's starting Pokemon to be a Fighting-type, and in the end, Lucario was the best choice. On the bright side, it freed up things for a few other changes in her post-Choice Pokemon.
  • The 'elemental' tribes work a little differently in this universe. Instead of possessing powers over their elements, they instead have a special connection with a specific Pokemon type, similar to (but not exactly like) the link ability of Warriors.
  • I failed to mention this, but I'm using F!Corrin.
  • I keep wavering between the English and Japanese names, so apologies for that.
  • The children aren't going to be featured, and with one special exception, there won't be any pairings either. Actually, there might be three exceptions. Depends on how badly I want to incorporate my headcanons. And before you ask, F!Corrin isn't planned to be paired with anyone.
  • I made the call to have the characters use Pokemon primarily. I figured out how to make the plot points that I thought would require martial intervention from the characters to work with them using Pokemon. That doesn't mean we won't see the characters fighting themselves from time to time. But let's be honest, getting involved in a fight that involves monsters with powerful magical abilities is borderline suicidal for most. Common sense in most cases says you should just let them handle the fighting. Hm, I'm not sure how much more I should say about this. I'll probably let you guys see for yourselves once Chapter 2 is finished (I'm making steady progress on Chapter 1. I'll post it here when finished).

Update 7/27/15

• Good news: I finished transcribing everything up 'till Chapter 6, courtesy of timdayoo's translations.
  • Bad news: Certain plots points are turning out to be harder to handle then I originally anticipated.

I'm writing out Corrin's dragon form. It's an easy enough task. Yet the sword given in Chapter 2, which is a critical plot point, is turning out to be far harder to substitute/replace/rewrite. It doesn't make nearly as much sense in a world where Pokemon are effectively the 'weapons.' The whole 'My Castle introduction' sequence in Chapter 3 continues to be an issue, too. I need to think more on this, and continue hashing out the finer points of the plot.

Oh yeah, Dragon's Vein is not a thing in this setting. Why would it be, when any issues in the terrain can be overcome by use of the Pokemon?

• Still require Invisible Kingdom Script translations, but will continue with plan to write out the story up until the decisive choice. If anyone scourges up Invisible Kingdom translations (NOT just a summary) I'd be really grateful for the heads up!

Update 7/28/15

• So, turns out the My Castle is actually important, and I can't just write it out. It does mean I need to do some revising of my current outline. The bright side is, I can bring things more in line with Conquest by replacing most of the stuff in the My Castle with stuff from Conquest (since the focus is on Pokemon development, rather then development of the human characters).
  • Speaking of Conquest, I'm trying to bring things more in line with that in general. Most characters will only have one 'move' per Pokemon, as per Conquest. Only a select few, those planned to have more personal and involved battles rather then the army conflicts that are typical, will have full movesets defined for them. I'm currently in the process of assigning moves and abilities.
  • Also, mostly for fun, I'm translating each character's Personal Skill into a Warrior Skill. Yes, only some have the ability to actually Link, but pretty much everyone fights anyway. And I don't think I made much sense right then.
  • One of my goals is to not let the darker tone of Fates get dulled by the fact that, well, its Pokemon. On the other hand, I've never been a big fan of 'grimdark' stories, and I don't expect that to change with this story. Its a tricky balancing act. The former is my main concern right now, and to help, I've been drawing inspiration from another strategy game with Mons: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor.
  • I have like, 3/4ths of the story all outlined and ready to write the second I get ahold of the Invisible Kingdom translated script, whenever that is. It's that first 1/4th that I just can't seem to figure out. Hm...

Update 7/31/15

• Omigosh, I just came up with a *brilliant* idea. It'll take some re-working of the plot (well, more then then I've already changed), but if I can get it to work holy crap. Gah, why must Fates become more and more perfect for this fusion!?
  • The fact that I can't draw (very well) despite my best effort still sucks utter bollocks.

Update 7/31/15 2

• So, I guess that idea won't really work. And it was so promising too. Ah well.
  • In other news, I discovered the Pokemon Conquest manga! I also found some interesting Conquest art. The end result is that I have a *much* better idea of how things in Conquest work 'in practice' (outside of the game, in other words). I'm probably going to have to do more rewriting...and revamping...again...but the end result should be a much smoother integration of the Pokemon elements. And make the story more, well, Conquest.
  • The manga also demonstrated several things: 1) While not everyone is a Warrior, they are *much* more common then I originally gave credit for. 2) It showed how the Link work. Here's a hint, it wasn't how I was portraying it. Both of these are things that are going to be playing into the re-write.
  • Which by the way, that's next on the list. A re-write of the first two chapters. Because the new information changes that much. But I don't really mind.

Update 8/4/13

• I've come to a compromise regarding how to handle the story given the lack of a script for IK. Since the plot changes significantly after a point, I'll instead be writing the chapters depicting the plot changes leading up to the deviation. It will be easier to show then explain this, so expect the first one up soon.
Edited by Alisa180

Earthquake vs Iron Head

It looks very interesting! I would personally switch Leon and Takumi's Pokemon, as I think Houndoom would better fit Leon and Manectric would better fit Takumi, at least in my opinion. I understand why you did it this way though!

What would you think of Leon as the Pokemon Absol, and Takumi as the Pokemon Ampharos? And what would you think of Camilla as Aerodactyl, and Hinoka as Altaria?

Good luck with your project either way! Have fun!

Earthquake vs Iron Head

It looks very interesting! I would personally switch Leon and Takumi's Pokemon, as I think Houndoom would better fit Leon and Manectric would better fit Takumi, at least in my opinion. I understand why you did it this way though!

What would you think of Leon as the Pokemon Absol, and Takumi as the Pokemon Ampharos? And what would you think of Camilla as Aerodactyl, and Hinoka as Altaria?

Good luck with your project either way! Have fun!

Houndoom is actually a better fit for Takumi then you think. In Japan, the Dark type is known as the 'Aku', literally 'Evil', type. That's why so many Dark-type attacks are based around dirty fighting tactics.

This was something I kept in mind with a few of these assignments, including Takumi.

After all, he gets possessed and turned evil in both Birthright and Conquest, even serving as the final boss in the latter (from what I've heard).

Manectric always seemed like a good fit for Leon, I can't really explain why.

Unfortunately, I can't really use Altaria for Hinoka, because there's a 50% chance it's going to serve as Mega Evolution for another, plot-important character. Absol is *most definitely* going to be the Mega Evolution for a certain character Kamui is going to battle towards the end of the story, so I can't assign it to anyone listed here either.

I chose Sableye/Mawhile for Camilla/Hinoka, because Camilla is creepy but well meaning (being Yandere for Kamui) making a creepy ghost type like Sableye fitting for her. While Hinoka is tough, having taken up fighting specifically to get Kamui back, making the femine yet tough Mawile a good choice.

All said, I'm pretty satisfied with those four. I'm still wavering on Marx/Ryouma, but I think they have okay assignments. For Elise/Sakura, I keep bouncing between Contonee/Petili, and Plusle/Minun for their Pokemon.

Another one I'm having trouble with is

Laswald/Inigo. On one hand, Ludicolo/Shiftry is *perfect* for him and his foil, Kagerou (Because carefree dancer/serious ninja). On the other hand, Roserade has been his signature Pokemon in my head forever, one of the few characters back when I tried making a PokemonxAwakening story to go 'Yeah, this is pretty much perfect as Inigo's signature Pokemon.' It's just so fitting, since I imagine Roserade is a Dance Battle much like it's owner.

I encountered similar problems with Luna/Severa and Odin/Owain, but their signature Pokemon weren't nearly as set as Inigo's, and thus had much more flexibility (for example, I was originally going to give Luna Liepard, until further planning led me to assign Liepard/Mightyena to Zero/Oboro instead. Her current Pokemon works though.

Odin was originally going to have Houndoom or Manetric, but I changed him after I decided counterpart pairs who both have Mega Evolutions should be reserved for the royal siblings, and potentially a couple other important pairs.

(Major fanfic spoilers)

Plot wise, Laswald is going to be swapping out Ludicolo for Roserade at some point anyway. I have a hard time imagining him with Ludicolo, but I can make it work if I have to. The question is simply whether it's a good idea for him to have Roserade from the start. I'm a little worried that it might give too much away, even.

Thank you for the encouragement! The post Chapter 6 outline is going very smoothly so far, and in the end, I probably won't require as much of the Invisible Kingdom script as I originally thought. I'll still need it, though, if only to nail down the finer details. It's shaping up to be what I hope will be a really good story!

Edited by Alisa180

First draft of the first chapter is ready!

"Lord Corrin!"

"It's morning, Lord Corrin."

Corrin groaned, opening her eyes, the dream she'd been having quickly fading. Leaning above her were two of her maids, Flora and Felicia.

"It's time to get up, Lord Corrin!" Felicia chirped with a bright smile, "Wakey wakey!"

"Uh..." Corrin slowly sat up. Two creatures, One, a small, iceberg-like thing with stubby legs, the other was a black, pointed thing, wrapped in an orange outer 'coat,' stood peeked out from behind the legs of Flecia and Flora respectively. Through blurry eyes, she also saw Gunther, and Jakob, a chinchilla-like creature perched on the latter's shoulder. "Flora and Felicia...Isn't it still the dead of night?" The sky outside the windows were still dark.

At the foot of Corrin's bed, curled a fox-like creature with brown fur. It raised its head, watching the ruckus through half-lidded eyes.

Gunther cleared his throat, "Excuse me...it may still be dark outside, but it is morningtime. It is time for your morning training."

"I have already made the necessary preparations," Jakob said, "Including waking up your companion." Behind him, Corrin spotted Lucario, leaning against the far wall.

"Oh, that's right..." Corrin yawned, "But...I'm still sleepy..."

"I see." Flora looked at her sister, "Let's wake her up, Felicia."

Felicia's grin grew wider, "Yes, Sister!"

The two of them looked down at the creatures with them. By the unspoken cue, the two them skittered in front of the maids.

"Snorunt."

"Bergmite."

"Icy Wind!"

As one, the two creatures released a blast of ice cold air, enveloping both Corrin and the creature on her bed. "Gyah! C-cold!" The fox creature squeaked, leaping off and onto the floor. "Alright alright, I'll get up!" Corrin got to her feet, as the creature shook its fur free of lingering ice crystals.

"Please don't take us lightly, Lord Kamui," Flora said sweetly, "We're from the Ice Tribe, handling Ice-type creatures is our specialty."

"Haa...Understood." The fox creature glared at Snorunt and and Bergmite, and made a threatening sound. The pair flinched, and took a cautious step back.

"Eevee, don't." Corrin warned. Eevee glanced up at her, before sitting herself down, one ear still twitching in irritation. Corrin yawned, "I just wanted to see more of that dream..."

"A dream you say?" Jakob tilted his head, "What kind of dream?"

"Well...It was weird..." She confessed, "There were these people I had never seen before saying they were my family...But the only family I have live within this kingdom..."

"Um...Lord Kamui," Flora said, "We can talk more about your dream later."

"Take care, Lord Kamui," Felicia said, "Marx is expecting you!"

/

"Eevee, use Shadow Ball!"

A ball of dark energy formed in Eevee's mouth. It released, flying at the Tyranitar on the other side of the battlefield. The creature flinched, but seemed otherwise unharmed.

Somewhere behind Corrin, her borther, Leon, scoffed, "Using a Ghost-type move against a Dark-type creature? Not very intelligent. As expected, you don't stand a chance if all you do is sleep." The Manectric sitting next to him growled in agreement. Not far from them, Lucario leaned against a wall, eyes closed and not really paying attention.

"Is this all you've got, Corrin?" Xander shouted from the other side of the battlefield, "Surely this isn't your true power. Now, fight like the Nohrian warrior you are!"

"But..."

"If you don't defeat me today...you'll be stuck here your whole life.

"!"

"Now, let's go Corrin! If you want to see the outside world, prove yourself by besting me here. Show me what you're really capable of!"

"...Alright. Eevee, come here!"

One of Eevee's ears twitched, and she looked over her shoulder at Corrin, making a questioning noise. "You're done for now, come here and rest." It shook it's head, facing Tyranitar and lowering itself partly to the ground, making a threatening growl. "You want to keep fighting? I can understand that. But you aren't ready to face this opponent yet. Please?"

It sighed, and straightened. It tossed a glare at Tyranitar, before running over. Corrin kneeled down to scratch it behind the ears, "If it bothers you that much, I promise you'll get another chance to fight it as soon as I believe you're ready, okay?" It grumbled, and plopped itself down next to her.

Corrin stood and looked over at the creature leaning against the nearby wall. "Lucario."

Lucario opened one eye, meeting Corrin's. Unspoken words passed between them, It uncrossed its arms and walked over.

"I find it interesting that you're so insistent on using Lucario," Leo remarked, "Even though it should theoretically have the type advantage, it hasn't had the best track record against Tyranitar in the past."

"I know. But we've been training, and we're ready."

"Very well, then come at us with all you have! I'll allow you the honor of the first move."

"Thank you," She traded a nod wuth Lucario. Ready. "Lucario, use Poison Jab!"

The end of one of Lucario's paws glowed purple. It rushed forward, and struck Tyranitar. It stumbled, but otherwise, showed little sign of damage.

"Tyranitar, Dragon Claw!"

Tyranitar roared, its large claws glowing green. It rumbled forward with surprising speed for its bulk.

"Poison Jab!"

"The same move again?" Leo questioned from behind her.

The two creatures charged at each other. Their respective attacks clashed, hitting both of them at once. They broke apart, skidding backwards. Lucario breathed hard, but Tyranitar seemed otherwise unfazed.

"Doesn't look like it did any more damage then the first time."

Corrin glanced over shoulder at Leo, "You assume straight up damage is our goal here."

Tyranitar suddenly reeled, a sickly purple pall washing over it.

Leo's eyebrows shot up in surprise,

"Poison! I see, how clever."

"Clever indeed," Maex agreed, "But you'll need more then that to win. Stone Edge!"

Two rings of white energy orbs formed around Tyranitar. They faded to reveals a multitude of sharp pointed rocks. With a roar, they flew at Lucario.

"Guard, Lucario!"

Lucario crossed its paws in front of it, protecting itself as the stones slammed into it one by one. One struck lower, near its stomach, sending it reeling backwards. "Lucario!"

Tyranitar seemed sastisfied with itself, when it flinched, the same purple pall, accompanied by minute bubbles, appeared.

The question now was, could it defeat Lucario before the poison inevitably took it down? Corrin wasn't about to find out.

"Lucario, Bone Rush!"

A bone of light formed in one of Lucario's paws. It charged, and slammed Tyranitar with it. The creature roared in anger, as Lucario quickly retreated, the bone vanishing. Xander grit his teeth as the poison made itself known again.

"Let us end this here. Tyranitar, Hyper Beam!"

A ball of energy charged in Tyranitar's mouth.

"Just like we practiced," Corrin crossed her arms in front of her, unconsciously mimicking Lucario, zGuard!"

Lucario crossed its paws in front of it, just as Tyranitar unleashed a powerful beam of energy. The beam directly hit, creating a bright light that forced Corrin to shield her eyes and look away.

The smoke cleared. Lucario was still standing.

"It endured the hit?" Leo asked in astonishment.

"You aren't the only one able to read up on creature attributes, Leo. Hyper Beam, while powerful, is a Normal-type technique. Lucario is a Steel-type. In theory, he should be able to resist it," She allowed herself a smirk, "I mentioned we'd been training, hadn't I?"

"...Very impressive, Corrin." Xander said.

"And with this, you make your mistake."

"What?"

"Hyper Beam is a powerful technique, true, but the disadvantage is that it temporarily leaves you unable to move. Leaving you wide-open to counter-attack. Here's the other result of our training," She gestured with one hand, "Lucario, Aura Sphere!"

"What!?"

A blue sphere of energy formed between Lucario's paws. A rare hint of pride twinged, as they saw the look on their opponents' face. The sphere lauched right at the immobile Tyranitar. It exploded against it, briefly obscuring the creature with smoke.

Corrin held her breath. Did that do it? The smoke cleared. Tyranitar was still standing.

"...What?" She gasped. The purple pall washed over Tyranitar again, but while it winced, it remained standing. She didn't understand! Everything said that should have been enough!

"I'll admit, that was surprising. But don't forget you aren't the only one who trains. Tyranitar, Earthquake!"

Not good. "Lucario, Aura Sphere!"

Tyranitar slammed the ground hard, while Lucario launched another blue sphere at it. The ground shook, and Corrin watched in horror as Lucario was knocked off its feet.

"Lucario!" It slowly pulled itself to one knee, cringing in pain. Then collapsed. "Lucario!" Corrin ran to its side, uncaring that it meant they lost. Placing a hand under its head, she lifted it from the ground, "Are you okay?" It opened one eye, then smirked, giving a noise of reassurance. She sighed, "Thank goodness"

"Cortin, look!"

She looked over at the other side of the battlefield, as the smoke from the earlier Aura Sphere cleared. Tyranitar lay flat on its back, K.O.ed.

"What? We actually-"

"Corrin, you did it!"

A blur of black and blonde hair tackled Corrin, sending her backwards to the ground. "Gya!" She sat up, one hand on the newcomer's back as she recognized who it was. "Elise!?"

"That was amazing!" She squealed, "I can't remember the last time someone actually beat Xander's Tyranitar!"

Corrin looked over her towards the sidelines. Leo had been joined by Camilla and her partner, Sableye. Nearby, Eevee playfully chased Elise's Cotonee.

"Well," Leo said, "Technically, it was a draw, but-"

"But it makes it no less impressive," Camilla said, "Congratulations, Corrin."

"How long were two watching?" Corrin asked.

"Long enough." Camilla said simply, smiling innocently.

"Oh!" Elise released Corrin, and reached for the staff she had dropped on the ground, "Lucario's hurt, right? I brought my staff, here!" Her healing staff glimmered, envoloping the creature in a soothing glow. Lucario stood to its feet, Corrin and Elise with it. It growled at her, smiling.

"He says 'thank you.'" Corrin said.

Elise clutched her staff, as Cotonee drifted near with Eevee right behind it, "You're welcome!"

Eevee took the moment to jump onto Corrin and climb up onto her shoulder. It nuzzled her cheek with its own, and Corrin returned the gesture while petting it with her other hand. Affection, pride, and sharing in the victory.

Approachihg footsteps drew her attention. Xander. "Good work, Kamui. You've shown improvement.

"Thank you. We owe it all to you, Marx. Both you and Tyranitar."

"Oh! Tyranitar probably needs healing too! Excuse me!" Elise pushed past her elders siblings, heading for the fallen creature.

Xander looked at Corrin thoughfully, "...No, it was your prowess at work. It looks like you have what it takes to be a top Nohrian warrior."

Corrin shook her head, "Not just my prowress," she rubbed Lucario's nose, "The two of us together, its the strength of us both"

"I believe that you...will be the one to bring the light to this land engulfed in darkness."

Corrin gazed at Xander, suddenly understanding that he was talking about something much broader, "Brother..."

"Tch," Leo 'hmphed, "One's strengths aren't based on just how well you can use brute force, you guys."

"Heh, you sure don't like to let things go, Leo. You have a unique penchant for study, and probably know more about magical creatures then any of us. You would do well to hone those skills."

"...Only if you're willing to recognize my efforts."

"Ah..." Corrin said, "Besides that, Leon."

"What do you mean "besides that"?" Leo glared, "It's a big deal to me..."

Corrin coughed, "Ahem...Your robe is on the inside out..."

Leo glanced down, and his eyes shot open, "Ahh!" He turned around and dashed out of sight behind one of the walls, leaving behind a puzzled Manectric. Camilla covered her mouth as he passed, snorting with laughter.

"Obviously Leo just woke up." Xander commented.

"Argh," Leo's annoyed voice came from his hiding spot, "This is awful, you guys! You could've told me that earlier!"

Xander chuckled, "My bad my bad. But silly blunders like that are what make you so charming."

"I agree." Corrin choked out, trying to suppress her laughter.

"That's enough!" Leo snapped.

Something tugged at Corrin's sleeve. Elise. Behind her, Tyranitar hauled itself back to its feet, with Cotonee watched curiously. "So, Corrin, guess what? I think I saw one of 'them'!"

"'Them?'" Corrin asked.

"The legendary beasts." Leo re-emerged, his robe righted, adjusting his collar as he approached them. "Three magical creatures that have been sighted with surprising frequency as of late. Here." Leon opened his book. Corrin, Elise, and Camilla crowded around. On the page, was the picture of a catlike lightning creature.

"The incarnation of thunder, Raikou." He flipped the page, this time showing a red creatured superimposed on an erupting volcano. "The incarnation of volcanoes, Entei." Another flip. A blue creature with a flowing purple mane, surronded by wind and superimposed on a lake. "And the incarnation of the North Wind, Suicune."

"That's the one I saw," Elise said, pointing to the picture, "On the way here, I saw it disappearing over one of the hills! It was beautiful!"

"What's that one?" Corrin pointed to the bird-like creature shilouetted against the sun above Suicune.

"That's Ho-oh." He flipped the page again. This time, the page showed a beautiful phoenix-like creature, a rainbow arcing above it. "The beasts' creator and master. Or so they say." Leo shut the book, "The very existance of these creatures was disputed for years, until the recent oitbreak of sightings. The question then becomes, why would they start showing themselves now?"

"The three legendary beasts" Corrin mumered to herself, "I wouldn't mind seeing them somedayYou're very lucky, Elise. Thank you for telling me about it."

Elise giggled, "Eheh, does that make you happy?"

"Of course. I still can't leave the Northern Castle...So I always look forward to seeing you, and hearing whatever you have to share. Even if I never see the legendary beasts for myself, listening to your story is enough."

"Yaay! Hearing that makes me happy!"

And for the second time that day, Elise tackled Corrin, hugging her around the neck. "Gya!"

Elise released her older sister. Cotonee floated into her arms, and she hugged it, "I love you, Kamui! You're the best in the whole wide world!"

Leo sighed, "Forever an annoying kid..."

"But Leo," Camilla said, "Her brightness is also what lights up this kingdom."

"Everybody..." The dream from last night tickled at Corrin's brain. Looking over her family now, it was hard to see it as anything but that, a dream. Affection welled up within her, "I love you guys too. I've loved you for as long as I can remember. Thank you for always being there for me when I couldn't leave the fortress."

Camilla cleared her throat, "Hey Kamui. I have something important to tell you," She smiled, "Father wants us to bring you to his palace."

"Huh?" The news, and its implications, took a few moments to sink in. "But that would mean..."

"Exactly, now you can leave the fortress. You must have been so lonely being trapped in there your whole life...But at long last, from here on out you're finally free."

"Kamui," Elise hugged Corrin around the waist this time, "that's great!"

"Yes..." Corrin rested a hand on the back of her younger sister's head, "Thank you Elise. I can finally see the outside world...I can become a warrior and fight for the kingdom like my siblings."

"With that," Xander said "Let us prepare for departure."

/

"Eana, are the horses ready?"

A maid with long red pigtails standing at castle entry area nodded. Truthfully, they were pretty sure 'Eana' wasn't her real name. But she was mute, and seemed unable to write (her few attempts at doing so had been illegible messes), so 'Eana' was the name they had eventually adopted for her. She didn't seem to mind, so Corrin supposed it all worked out.

"Eana shall be accompanying you on this trip," Gunther said. The maid suddenly lurched forward, grabbing Corrin's arm with a smile. "Naturally, she's very excited..."

Such lack of propriety would be scandalous among the other servants, but Eana had never shown any sign of really caring. So much of her was unknown, having suddenly shown up one day out of nowhere. But she had quickly proven herself a hard worker, and later trustworthy after helping divert a bandit attack just outside the magical barrier of the castle.

"It's only natural that Eana would be so attached to Corrin," Camilla remarked with a proud smile, "After all, Corrin was the one who vouched for her after she first appeared. Corrin is a very kind person. One time, she took in an injured bird and cared for it..."

Corrin liked Eana. She considered her a good friend. Privately though, she wished the other girl wasn't so clingy.

The princess attempted to peel the maid off of her, "Eana, try not to act like this in front of Father, please? You can get away with that behavior here, but it won't be as tolerated outside."

The maid frowned. Her grip tightened, and she pulled herself even closer. Elise giggled,

"Go easy on her, Kamui. Eana is lonely..."

"Huh?" Corrin blinked, "Lonely? She's coming too, isn't she?"

"If she comes along, she won't be able to keep you all to herself. Because maybe Eana loves big sister."

Eana gave Elise an odd look. Slowly, she released Corrin and stepped back. Standing in front of the group, she bowed, indicating she had shifted back to 'respectful servant.' Perhaps in protest of Elise's assertion? It was difficult to tell with her sometimes.

"Great, you all are ready," Xander said, "Father is waiting."

"Flora, Felicia," Gunther said, "I'm leaving the rest to you two. Joker and I shall accompany Lord Kamui. For now, please tend to the fortress."

"Of course," Flora replied, "Leave it to us."

"See you later, Corrin," Felicia waved, "Please take care."

"Thank you," Corrin nodded, "We'll be on our way now."

---

First draft alert! Yikes! Does this suck? Oh so very much. But at least its out?

A sidenote, Xander's Tyranitar has its hidden ability of Unnerve, so it doesn't auto-Sandstorm when it hits the battlefield.

Aside from that, this was mostly a light-hearted chapter, with a couple early plot points introduced. What's the deal with the legendary beasts, you ask? Let's just say they tie into the shift in plot later on, and there's a VERY good reason Nohrians have been seeing a lot of them recently.

Credit goes to timydayoo for the translation of the script I used.

Edited by Alisa180

I really like the idea of this fusion. I love Pokemon and Fire Emblem. You probably already know this, but your first draft is inconsistent in the name translations. I don't care if you go with Kamui or Corrin, but it is confusing to see both for the same character. As for Elise and Sakura, it might make sense to have them start with Cottonee and Petilil, and then they also get Plusle and Minun (or other way around) later on as part of the story when they're becoming friends as a symbol of unity since those two are meant to be together. (Unless you have an important reason to keep them to one Pokemon each). Do Camilla and Hinoka have flying Pokemon? The fact that they fly is part of my image of them as characters.

Have you played DeSu2? If the original is a source of inspiration, that one has a social-link like system that can feel like support convos.

WARNING: Really, super long post ahead!

So, I invested in a used AlphaSmart Neo and holy crap. It’s pretty much everything I’d been looking for in a writing tool, that I’d been trying (and failing) to find in my tablet and laptop. It’s lightweight, runs on double-A batteries, and has an extremely long battery life. Since getting it, I’ve been on a writing frenzy. It’s perfect for writing a first draft, helped by the fact that it doesn’t have Internet access to distract me.

I’d actually wanted an AlphaSmart for years, but kept getting told a tablet or laptop would be a good substitute. Yeah, no. I finally got it for myself off Amazon because I wanted a way to write while on the upcoming camping trip. Fine motor control issues makes handwriting a pain. The one year I fell back on that after I finally couldn’t hold back my need to write anymore still haunts me and I became determined to avoid it. The AlphaSmart, however, will perfect for the job. Too bad the company discontinued the line, as it really is an awesome writing device.

Anyway, second chapter of this is done! This isn't really a first draft, more like a second draft. I did the first draft on the AlphaSmart, uploaded it onto my laptop, and did an editing pass on there. So this is better written then the last chapter. Still not perfect, and will likely require another editing pass at some point, but its improvement.

I should note, Eevee is a girl, and Lucario is a boy. Some of those gendered pronouns, instead of ‘it’, are scattered around and I didn't get around to fixing it. Just to ease up confusion in advance.

Corrin knew why she had been sealed up in that castle all these years.

It wasn’t common knowledge outside the royal family. Most believed it was for her own ‘protection,’ but the truth was more complicated than that. Only a select few knew, or more unluckily witnessed it.

Not only was it a danger to herself and others, but it potentially made her a target for enemies of all stripes. Those who wanted to control her, kidnap her for their own ends, and those who simply wanted to kill her. Hence, for most of her life, she had been placed in that castle under careful watch, the true reason carefully concealed.

The hope was when she was old enough, strong enough, it would no longer make such a measure necessary. And now, hopefully, she had finally reached that point.

No, she *had* reached that point. There was no doubt in her mind of it.

The castle loomed large as they entered the front courtyard. At the front of the castle itself, waiting for them, was King Garon. Their father.

Before today, Corrin had only seen her father during very rare, occasional visits to the Northern Castle. She had heard the stories, of how he had once been much warmer, kinder. But that was before the vicious and tragic drama of his court had left him cynical and distant today. Or so Xander and Camilla told her.

Behind him, rested a large Salamence, head raised. By chance, its eyes met Eevee’s on Corrin’s shoulder. Eevee’s ear twitched, and a low growl sounded in her throat.

“Don’t even.” Corrin warned. It responded with an irritated look, and leapt off her shoulder as they finally reached Father. It scurried behind the legs of Eana, not far behind them. Corrin bowed,

“Father...”

“I see you’ve made it here safely, Corrin.” The king said, sounding pleased.

“Yes, Father.” She straightened, “To come to Krakenstein Castle and be able to see you, it’s as if I’m dreaming...”

“No, it’s only thanks to your diligence that you are here. I am told that you have quite the way with magical creatures.”

Corrin nodded, “This one here is my partner, Lucario. And the one hiding over there-” Eevee snorted, “Is my friend, Eevee.”

“You have two creatures?”

“I realize that’s unusual. Truthfully, Eevee’s a recent addition. But she’s a fighter through and through, if a bit rebellious.” Eevee stuck up its nose, as if taking some measure of pride in Corrin’s last statement. It couldn’t understand her straight out, not the way Lucario could, but it got the general gist.

“Father, will Corrin be okay outside the fortress?” Elise asked.

“I too worry about her,” Camilla added, “Isn’t it dangerous for her to be outside the protective barrier?”

“Elise, Camilla. I will be fine,” Corrin assured them, “I’ve earned my way here and I’m ready, magical barrier or not.”

“Now...Corrin,” Father said, “As you know, Nohr is at war with the eastern Hoshidan kingdom.”

“! Yes, Father...” Corrin had heard plenty about the war, once that had been going on for many years now.

“We, as members of the royal family are descendants of the ancient gods, the First Dragons. As possessors of that divine strength, we are able to conquer whoever opposes us with ease. One who is able to command that power can annihilate an entire army of common troops. Xander, Camilla, and Leo have already shown that they wield that power. As a member of the royal family, I expect nothing less from you.”

Corrin nodded, “I understand your expectations, Father. We have trained day in and day out to become strong like my siblings.”

“We?”

“Me and Lucario.” She scratched behind one of Lucario’s ears, “This was as much his achievement as it was mine.”

“Hm...”

“...Apologies, Father. I understand I’m not making much sense. It’s hard to explain but I seem to be able to...connect with magical creatures somehow. I can sense their feelings...and I can form a bond of sorts through those feelings. Lucario was the first one I did so with, a long time ago. By now, we’ve been together so long that I have a hard time not thinking of us as a unit.” Lucario growled in agreement, smiling.

“Hmm...You’re a promising one. Having said that, try this on for size.”

With a flash of light, a jet-black sphere appeared before her. It hung from a strap, and if Corrin looked closely, she could see dots of lights like stars. “This is...!”

“That is the Night Sphere. A potent object imbued with otherwordly power. When held by a magical creature, it significantly raises their power...Provided one can control it. I have no doubt you’ll be able to, however.”

“Thank you, Father.” Corrin took Night Sphere into her hands. What did Father mean by ‘control it’? Hm, that was one thing she would need to figure out.

“Now then, let us see you put that strength to use. Bring forth the prisoners!”

“Prisoners...?”

“These are prisoners captured in our latest skirmish with Hoshido. I want to see your power for myself. Fight them, and emerge victorious.”

“I understand.” Eevee suddenly materialized on Corrin’s shoulder, growling. Corrin scratched the top of its head, “Alright, I guess I owe you the honor of the next fight.” It made a pleased sound.

/

Eevee pawed at the ground, the Night Sphere hanging from its neck. It wasn’t alone. A Minccino stood next to it, while a Noctowl perched behind them.

Jakob and Gunther had volunteered to assist with this battle, bringing their respective partners. Opposing them, on the other side of the battlefield, were four other magical creatures, a Pidgeotto, a Staravia, a Combusken, and a Scyther.

Behind them were four Hoshidans, their masters. Two seemed to be ordinary soldiers, and Corrin assumed the Pidgeotto and Staravia on the field belonged to them. But the other two...

One of them was a fierce looking young woman. “I am Rinka, daughter of the honorable Flame Tribe chieftan!” She declared. Combusken made a cry in agreement. “So you’re the Nohrian princess. What is your name?”

“I am Corrin. And my partner for this battle is Eevee.” Eevee chirped, tail swishing in ancitipation. Next to it, Minccino sighed.

The fourth member, a ninja or sorts, looked surprised, “!! Corrin...Can it be...!?”

“Huh? Have you hent, then shook his head, “...Never mind. I am Kaze, a ninja of the great Hoshido. My partner on the field is Scyther.” The Scyther screeched, slashing one of its blade-like arms in through the air. “Show us what you can do.”

Battles like this were different from one on one. There were multiple opponents, and no qualms against ganging up on one another. What’s more, one had to be aware of their teammates’ creatures. There weren’t many on the field for this battle, but larger fights could be fairly chaotic affairs.

Sensing they had the first move, Corrin took initiative. “Eevee!” Eevee took off like a shot.

The Flame Tribe girl, Rinka, nodded at the two Hoshidan soldiers. They took the unvoiced cue. “Pidgeotto!” “Staravia!”The two Flying creatures stretched their wings and took off, heading right for Eevee.

And here’s where it started getting complicated. “Gunther, we need to occupy those two in the air.”

“Understood. Noctowl!” Noctowl stretched it’s wings, and with a cry lifted into the sky, rising high above the others. “Air Slash!” Noctowl raised its wings above its head, and a spiraling light blue orb of energy formed between them. It threw the ball at the two other bird creatures. It directly hit Starvia, and grazed Pidgeotto, send the latter careening off to one side.

Now Combusken was on the move. “Jakob!”

“Yes! Minccino!” Minccino dashed forward.

“Eevee, Quick Attack!”

“Combusken, Flame Charge!”

Eevee lunched with an incredible burst of speed, nearly vanishing from view. She tackled the approaching Combusken head first, managing to knock it off balance. She fell back with a self satisfied smirk.

Combusken became wreathed in flames. It charged forward, slamming Eevee, sending it flying.

“Staravia, Wing Attack!”

Staravia swooped by, knocking Eevee midair with one of its wings as it passed. She flew to the ground, landing hard enough the ground cracked.

“Minccino, Double Slap!” Minccino leapt up, and whapped Combusken with its tail with surprising force.

To Corrin’s relief, Eevee stood, shaking dust from its fur, looking more annoyed then hurt. An blast drew its attention upwards, as Pidgeotto was knocked close to the ground by an Air Slash. Noctowl had been keeping the two bird busy in the air, but even as Gunther shouted commands, Corrin could see two was too much.

“Eevee, Quick Attack!”

The Night Sphere around Eevee’s neck glowed, enveloping it in a dark aura. What? She jumped high, slamming into Pidgeotto. It screeched, and crashed to the ground. It didn’t get up again. Eevee landed, the glow from the Night Sphere and the aura fading.

So that was what the Night Sphere did. Amazing.

“Scyther, Fury Cutter!”

Scyther suddenly came flying, slashing at Noctowl. Wha-Where had it come from!? And now Staravia came from the other way-

“Eevee, Shadow Ball!” A dark ball of energy formed in Eevee’s mouth. The ball launched at Staravia. It fell. Scyther caught it, coming to the ground and placing it safely before turning its attention to Eevee.

“Scyther, Fury Cutter!”

Scyther slashed again, sending the fox creature skittering across the ground. It shook its head and growled at Scyther. Corrin took assessment of the situation. Both the flyers were down, and Minccino was keeping Combusken occupied. “Gunther, have Noctowl help Minccino!” Gunther acknowledged, and in moments Combusken was knocked backwards by an Air Slash. Between Noctowl and Minccino, they should be able to take out Combusken.

Leaving Corrin and Eevee to give their full attention to Scyther. Her main concern was Fury Cutter. Fury Cutter was a move that grew stronger every time it hit in battle. If this went on too long...

Eevee pawed at the ground, growling again. Anger. Frustration. Confidence. The strong desire to fight that had defined it from the day Corrin had met her. Corrin smiled, despite herself. It was why Eevee had such potential as a battler.

“You.” A voice drew her attention, past Scyther. The ninja, Kaze, had gotten closer in at some point. Gunther and Joker had shifted position to be closer to the fight against Combusken. Leaving just Corrin, Kaze, and their magical creatures. “You’re a Warrior, aren’t you?”

That was an odd question. Corrin frowned, “Of course I am. I would be here if I wasn’t.”

The ninja shook his head, “I don’t think you entirely understood my question. My apologies. Scyther!”

Scyther charged forward and slashed again. Eevee was blown back, but as it righted itself, its breathing was harder this time. Corrin had to end this now.

“Eevee, Take Down!” The Night Sphere glowed. Eevee charged with great force slamming into Scyther.

“Fury Cutter!”

“Quick Attack!”

Scyther came forward with its sharp blade. They struck empty air, as Eevee vanished. The next moment Eevee smashed right into its head. Stumbling, Scyther fell forward, and didn’t move. The Night Sphere’s glow faded, as Eevee sat down, head raised in triumph. Kaze wordlessly moved to

An loud sound drew Corrin’s attention to the another part of the battlefield. Smoke cleared to reveal Combusken had fallen.

“Combusken!” Rinka ran up to it, kneeling next to it. Kaze wordlessly moved to Scyther’s side, while the other two Hoshidan warriors similarly tended to their own creatures. That was it, they had won.

Corrin smiled, becoming aware of her heart pounding. That had been exhilerating. “And that’s our victory.” Eevee ran to her, clambering onto her shoulder. She sensed Lucario approaching from behind. “You were quite the formidable opponents. So this is the power of the Hoshido...”

“What are you doing Corrin?” Her father’s booming voice came from behind her, “Finish them off.”

The princess’ smile faded, as she turned to her father, observing the battle from the steps behind them alongside Xander. Her other siblings were gathered nearby, with Elise holding Cottonee. “What do you mean...finish them off?”

"Exactly what I said,” his lips curled, “Give your creature the command to end this permanently."

“What!?”

It wasn’t unheard of for magical creatures to finish the job so to speak. Fighters often carried weapons on them, and knew how to use them, though only the stupid and reckless would get themselves directly involved in a battle between magical creatures. When their creatures were down, however, it often breeded desperate situations. Sometimes one fighter needed, or wanted, the other one dead for whatever reason. The outcome was usually unpleasant.

But these Hoshidans didn’t have weapons. They weren’t even being hostile now, focused on tending to their fallen companions. But from their expressions, they seemed to realize exactly the fate intended for them.

And Corrin wasn’t cruel enough to inflict it.

"Father...” She said, “These people are defenseless."

"What did you say?” Father’s voice rose, his anger building. “I ordered you to finish them off."

Corrin knew she was defying a royal order, from her father no less, but her conscious screamed for her not to accept this. "But...Father!"

"How foolish."

Without warning, Salamence opened its mouth. A ball of energy formed. Hyper Beam! It released the beam of energy, aiming directly for Kaze, who shut his eyes. Without thinking, she jumped in front of the ninja, throwing up her hands to block. In sync with her, Lucario copied the motion, guarding both of them. The Hyper Beam hit, the remnant energy dissipating harmlessly around them while it took the full blow of the attack.

"…Hm?" Kaze opened his eyes, as Corrin and Lucario lowered their guard. Shock reflected on the faces of her siblings.

"Corrin!?" Elise exclaimed.

"What is the meaning of this..." Xander muttered.

"Corrin,” Father’s voice seethed with barely controlled anger, “How dare you..."

She was in trouble. She had crossed a line, and there would be consequences. But she didn’t regret it. She couldn’t.

Xander stepped partway in front of Father, "Father, please forgive her!" He pleaded, "She isn't thinking..."

"In that case Xander,” Father spat, “YOU kill them. Should anyone stand in your way, kill them as well."

Xander’s eyes widened, "B-but...!"

"That is an order."

He flinched. Then bowed his head. He nodded at Tyranitar, who had been standing to one side. It lumbered forward, rumbling as it followed Xander onto the battlefield. Lucario took a ready position in front of Corrin. Eevee leapt off her shoulder, front half lowered, tail swishing.

“Step aside, Corrin.” Xander said, voice level but pained, “If you don't...

“Xander...!”

Tyranitar stepped fully in front. White orbs formed around it, materializing into several sharp pointed stones. Stone Edge. With a roar, the stones flew at them.

Protection. Defense. Had to stop it. Without waiting for orders, Eevee hopped forward, and released a series of glowing star-shapes from its mouth. Swift. Similarly, Lucario brought its paws forward, firing a twisting black and purple beam from them. Dark Pulse. The attacks collided against the stones, blasting them and destroying them mid-flight.

Both of you...Thank you...

“Corrin...Why do you refuse to kill them?” Xander asked, “They're our Hoshidan enemies.”

“They may be our enemies, but there’s no need to go so far. And...there’s something about them..”

The tips of Tyranitar’s claws glowed. Dragon Claw. It charged forward. Lucario formed a bone-shape in its hand. Bone Rush. It met Tyranitar halfway, parrying its claws with its weapon. It didn’t let up, as Tyranitar kept trying to swipe it, while the Fighting-creature kept dodging nimbly out of the way and attacking.

Behind her, Corrin became aware that the Hoshidans had gathered together, watching the scene.

The ninja, Kaze. For a second, it had looked liked he had recognized her. Corrin closed her eyes. Without Lucario, the vision was scattered, incomplete. She couldn’t even pick out the aura of inanimate objects, and living things only just. And even that was fuzzy.

But it was enough, and had its uses. Like picking out the emotions of the people behind her.

Confusion. Awe. Bewilderment. Probably wondering why this princess of Nohr, their enemy by all rights, was working so hard to protect them.

Over on the sideline, the remaining three siblings watched with increasing worry. “Please stop, Corrin,” Camilla said, “My dear Corrin...”

Elise squeezed Cottonee close, “Corrin...What will we do...”

Leon sighed, "I'll take care of this.” He looked down at his Manectric, “Manectric!" The creature stepped forward, its mane sparking. It roared, unleashing a burst of thunder. Corrin’s eyes widened in horror, as it crashed on the gathered group. They fell, and didn’t move. No...How could Leo...!? Leo seemed unfazed, merely patting the back of his Manectric’s mane, "Good work.” He walked over towards their father, and bowed, “Father, I have gotten rid of them in place of our incapable sibling."

"You, huh..." Father muttered.

"I only ask that you forgive Corrin."

Rage flickered across Father’s face, “...That is enough. Corrin, come to the throne room, NOW!” He turned, and stormed into the castle.

Corrin looked at where he left, before dashing over to Leo, anger bubbling up at her younger brother. "Leo!” She yelled, “What was that for!? How could you kill helpless prisoners!?"

To her surprise, he smirked and placed a finger to his lips, “Shh.”

What? “You don't mean...They're okay?”

“That's enough, you two,” Xander approached them, “It's over.” He looked at Corrin in exasperation, as Lucario and Eevee rejoined her side, “Corrin, your kindness will become your downfall one day, I swear.”

“I know...” She straightened, drawing herself up just a little, “But I regret nothing.”

“Is that so...” He turned to some soldier standing guard nearby, “I'm going to go take a look at the prisoners' possessions. Bring their bodies to my quarters.

“Right away!” One of them said, as they moved to comply with the order. Corrin turned back to Leo.

"Leo, your attack just now..."

"No worries,” Leo replied, “They're only weakened, no major harm. Really, its amazing how many couldn't tell the difference between a Thunder and an especially potent Thunderwave even if it bit them. I should've just flat-out killed them as Father ordered...But if Camilla and Elise were to see you like that again...It'd be a big mess."

She shivered. She hadn’t even thought about that. “Thank you, Leon. I'm sorry for laughing at your robe earlier.”

“Enough...Why do you keep bringing it up?”

“Nice, Leon!” Elise called.

“...But it's definitely not over yet,” Camilla said, “Father isn't just going to let this incident slip by....

/

This particular stone courtyard was secluded in the back of the castle, and rarely visited. That made it perfect for what they were about to do.

The now-recovered Hoshidans stood before Xander and Corrin, along with their creatures. “Thanks to Kamui's kindness,” Xander said, “You have been spared, but just this once. Now go, while our king isn't looking.”

Kaze and the two soldiers said nothing, merely turning and running the other way, Scyther, Pidgeotto, and Stavia flying close behind them. The last one, Rinka, lingered,

“So you're just letting us go...” She glared at Corrin, “Corrin, the next time we meet I'll make you regret showing us mercy!”

Corrin shook her head in disagreement, “No. The next time we meet, I'd like for it to be as friends.”

Rinka looked taken aback, “Hm? Don't you understand? I'm a Hoshidan warrior. I'm your enemy!

“I realize that we're in the middle of a war. But I don't want for us to have to kill each other. When this war is finally over, I'd like to live in harmony with you guys.”

Rinka stared at her for a long moment, then smirked, “...Heh. Looks like the rumors are true...the princess of Nohr is a naive one. We'll see if that changes the next time we see each other. Combusken, come on!” And with that, the two vanished into the gloom like the others.

Corrin watched them go. A world where she could live in harmony with them...When this war ended, she decided, she would seek them out and follow through on that desire. There were so many people to meet, so many places to see...And finally, she could see it for herself.

She followed Xander back into the castle, feeling like despite everything, today had been a good day.

Second chapter, done!

...Actually, I jumped ahead a little and have started work on Chapter 4 of the Prologue. But I’m also going to split up Chapter 3, simply because so much happens.

So, I was trying to go for a ‘Conquest’ feel for the battle. The results, I think, were mixed. This is partly because I made some false assumptions. Namely, I forgot to take into account that Conquests maps portray a far smaller area then Fire Emblem’s maps. Same goes for Devil Survivor, which is another inspiration.

One concern for this chapter was explaining why the human characters didn’t try attacking the Pokemon themselves. Well, they could if they wanted to. But this isn’t Devil Survivor, where the COMPs’ Harmonizer function put the humans on the same footing as the demons. Most of the time, such an attempt isn’t going to end well for the human. That doesn’t say it doesn’t happen, just that common sense leads people to refrain most of the time.

The other thing was starting to portray the empathic connection Corrin has with her Pokemon as a consequence of being a Warrior (as in Conquest). The idea of her having limited Aura sense emerged over the course of it, and I’ve since tweaked a few things to give her a very justifiable reason for it.

I also figured out how to write around the sword finally. Oh yeah!

Character-wise, I actually don’t have Lucario’s very well-defined yet. I do have Eevee’s down pretty pat though. Eevee is basically a chihuahua that keeps picking fights with dogs much bigger than herself in the sincere belief that she can take them.

I really like the idea of this fusion. I love Pokemon and Fire Emblem. You probably already know this, but your first draft is inconsistent in the name translations. I don't care if you go with Kamui or Corrin, but it is confusing to see both for the same character. As for Elise and Sakura, it might make sense to have them start with Cottonee and Petilil, and then they also get Plusle and Minun (or other way around) later on as part of the story when they're becoming friends as a symbol of unity since those two are meant to be together. (Unless you have an important reason to keep them to one Pokemon each). Do Camilla and Hinoka have flying Pokemon? The fact that they fly is part of my image of them as characters.

Have you played DeSu2? If the original is a source of inspiration, that one has a social-link like system that can feel like support convos.

First question: Yeah, I know. I'm sticking to English names, but because I used a translation that used Japanese names (and the fact that I like Marx over Xander) means yeah, there was inconsistency that slipped through. The second chapter fixes that issue, and in later transcriptions I made the point of replacing the Japanese names with the English ones as I wrote things down to help as well.
The initial draft of the first chapter is as crappy as hell, and I freely admit I'll have to go back and do some major editing on it at some point. But in writing, the general advice is to get the story out first, then go back and edit. Advice also says that the first draft is allowed to be crappy, so I don't feel too bad about it. But it will be refined at some point.
On Elise and Sakura: I was really, really torn between Cottonee and Petili, or Plusle and Minun. I settled on the former, but the door is definitely open for them to get the latter at some point. The problem is, except in rare circumstances, non-Warrior characters are generally limited to one Pokemon each. (Warriors being the in-universe term for those who can Link with Pokemon.) And while Sakura is a Warrior (the whole Hoshido royal family is, in fact), Elise is not. None of the Nohr royals are. Nohr has a relatively sparse Pokemon population, and you're really going to see a contrast in the handling of them once Corrin is taken to Hoshido in a few chapters.
Camilla has a Sableye, though it hasn't made an appearance yet. That's 'cause it prefers to keep to the shadows, and doesn't really show itself unless Camilla orders otherwise (and you can naturally expect to see it kicking some serious ass during the latter half of the Chapter 3 events). You can imagine it lurking in the background, a pair of glistening diamond eyes watching from the dark...Actually, I should write that in during my next editing pass. But Camilla's Sableye is meant to contrast to Hinoka's, Mawile, in keeping with the 'foil' theme.
There ARE horses, wyverns, and other 'ordinary' animals in this setting, though they're used more for transportation then fighting. Nohr is more reliant on them then Hoshido. One thing I'm trying to figure out is how Tyranitar and other similarly large Pokemon are transported around. I'm thinking something involving Teleport.
I have not played Devil Survivor 2, no. Technically, I haven't played Devil Survivor 1 either. XD. But I've certainly seen and read enough about it. The post-battle scene in this chapter was inspired by a certain scene between Kaido and Keisuke in DS1 if you don't make the right choices. And its only going to get worse from here, I'm afraid. I don't consider this a SMT-level dark story, mind you, far from it. But one of my intentions was to not 'soften' Fates' darker edge by virtue of this being a Pokemon story. The end result was that in some ways its softer, but in other ways its darker and more brutal. In the end, I think it about evens out.
But yes, I really like this fusion too. And its been working out beautifully so far. You're going to see more changes in events during the upcoming chapters, and I've added additional scenes beyond what was shown in the game to help flesh things out further. My goal is to get the Prologue chapters done, but after that, I'm going to be stuck unless I can find a translated script of the Invisible Kingdom path. That said, I hope you enjoy what I can write.
Edited by Alisa180

Interesting idea, but shouldn't Corrin have at least one Water type? Since her Dragon form has power over water?

And considering that loyalty is the defining trait of Silas and Kaze, isn't Gallade/Gardevoir a better option for them?

Sorry, I know it's your story, and I don't have the right to interfere with it and I'm probably being very annoying, but I like the idea so much that I can't help it!

Edited by Water Mage

Interesting idea, but shouldn't Corrin have at least one Water type? Since her Dragon form has power over water?

And considering that loyalty is the defining trait of Silas and Kaze, isn't Gallade/Gardevoir a better option for them?

Sorry, I know it's your story, and I don't have the right to interfere with it and I'm probably being very annoying, but I like the idea so much that I can't help it!

Hm, it didn't occur to me to give her a Water-type. Like, at all. XD While a few important characters 'water' theme, including Aqua and Anankos, I've largely ignored it in favor of the 'black and white' theme. Actually, scratch that, I did try to work it in at some point, but the lack of a large body of water that would allow Water-type legend-WAIT A SECOND. ....Hm...Uh, ignore me, something just occurred to me, something that would potentially work *really well* with the story. I need to think more on this.

I'm afraid Gallade is taken by another character, serving as their Mega, but that's venturing into 'major, major spoiler' territory.

On another note, you probably noticed I changed Kaze's Pokemon from Pinsir to Scyther. I've decided to ease up on the 'foil' theme a bit for those outside the royal siblings in order to give those characters more fitting Pokemon.

That said, some minor-majorish spoilers on Corrin's dragon form:

I was originally going to write it out, but I've decided to include it after all. But with a bit of a twist: The Dragons of old have some relation to Pokemon, both being ancient beings with deep ties to the world. Its a very general thing, and blurry, but its one of those things I had to work with. Explaining the presence of other magical creatures like dragons in the world of Pokemon, and how they are distinct from them.

The answer to that is...Probably not as much as some like to think. Okay, I'm dancing around the point here.

Long story short, Corrin's dragon form in this story is pretty much a pseudo-legendary (base stat 600), physically oriented, Dragon-Water type Pokemon. Which comes with the weaknesses and resistances associated with that type (Weak: Dragon x2, Fairyx2, Resist: Firex4, Waterx4, Steelx2), AND that persists even when she's not transformed. One consequence, in Conquest terms, is that she can't link with Fairy types. It also makes her more durable than your average human when up against the moves she resists when not transformed, which can be handy in a pinch. On the other hand, if she's hit by a move she's weak to when not transformed...Well, its not a good thing and is perhaps the greatest danger she faces on the battlefield.

It *does not* contribute to her ability to Link (that comes from her mother, Mikoto), but it is why she had Aura sense. Her dragon form, if you examine it, actually lacks eyes. So its pretty much blind. It compensates for this through Aura, using it to 'see.' And in more rational states of mind, to asses threats through its ability to sense emotion and intent. However, it lacks the control to use Aura-based techniques like Lucario can.

In her dragon form, Corrin has several Pokemon-like abilities, including an Ability (Pressure, the default 'legendary' ability), and a moveset (Outrage, Take Down, Bubblebeam, Dragon Dance; This is her 'starting' moveset). In addition, she can understand Pokemon as well as humans when transformed. After she picks up the Dragon's Fang, which allows her to transform only parts of her body without fully transforming, she also becomes capable of using her moveset when not transformed.

In theory, this is an *incredible* advantage, since Corrin can potentially take on most Pokemon and more importantly win. Remember, in this setting, a normal human has low odds against facing most sufficiently trained Pokemon. The fact Corrin can hold her own against even things like Tyranitar and Garchomp (for the latter, she could in theory even pick up an Ice-type move for super-effective damage) means she doesn't even have to rely on her Pokemon in battle, if she so desired. In practice, however, she much prefers to rely on her Pokemon partners. It helps she's a bit averse to her dragon form at first, though she comes more to terms with it over time.

Generally, there are only two occasions when Corrin uses dragon form. When she's either A) desperate, or B) Really, really pissed off. For the latter, I'm not just talking about her simply getting mad. Typically that's a 'righteous anger' and her Link with her Pokemon leads them to act on it for her. That's generally sufficient. I'm talking about getting her mad enough she could power a Cruciatus Curse. In the Harry Potter series, 'righteous anger' wasn't enough to perform the curse. The user had to want to cause pain for its own sake. That's pretty much the state of mind she's in if she transforms in anger. At that point, unless someone else intervenes, the enemy is fucked.

Corrin generally prefer sparing her enemies once their Pokemon is defeated, and if they continue to attack she'll generally try to find another way. Killing them is a last resort, since death by Pokemon is too often a messy and painful way to go. However, if she's mad enough to transform, that pretty much flies out the window. She has just enough presence of mind to K.O. any Pokemon they have left (as they say, there's no bad Pokemon, only bad Trainers) but after that...Did I mention death by Pokemon is usually messy and painful?

The dragon form has its limits, though. For instance, pretty much no normal Pokemon can stand up to the power of a legendary Pokemon, and that includes pseudo-legendaries. While situations involving legendary Pokmeon certainly get desperate, Corrin knows she has no chance against them in her dragon form, forcing her to find other solutions.

One more thing, she can't actually fly using her wings. She can only glide with them. As per the dragon's deer-like form, it relies more on speed and agility, and can jump *really* high. This jumping ability allows her to reach a height for gliding, and she can go pretty far, especially once she figures out how to maneuver up-drafts and down-drafts. But like fighting, she doesn't even start using dragon form for locomotion until much later in the story when she becomes more comfortable with it. She typically flies on Latias' back.

And that's my exposition dump for the day. Lots of fun.

I'm glad you enjoy the idea! I have some great plans for it! Also, you aren't being annoying. I enjoy the feedback.

Edited by Alisa180

Maybe Elise can get a second Pokemon due to having some distant Hoshido heritage? I believe the Nohrian siblings all have different mothers. Or maybe she's just so friendly that she can bend the rules and get a "friend" Pokemon that doesn't fight.

I had an idea for this setting that probably doesn't fit into your story, that someone in Nohr has developed a dangerous new Apricorn technology that allows for mass transport of "magical beasts" and allows normal people to have control over multiple such beasts. And I'm thinking of parallels to real-life weapons improvements in wartime.

I also notice that Luna and Rinkah are unique among non-royals in that their Pokemon can mega evolve. Does this mean anything?

I am just throwing ideas around like spaghetti, Maybe Elise and Sakura could be proto-Pokemon Rangers? They can call on wild Pokemon for help one time, but not in battle? Or maybe that suits Azura more.

I just find the premise super-exciting.

Edited by QwertysHuman

Maybe Elise can get a second Pokemon due to having some distant Hoshido heritage? I believe the Nohrian siblings all have different mothers. Or maybe she's just so friendly that she can bend the rules and get a "friend" Pokemon that doesn't fight.

I had an idea for this setting that probably doesn't fit into your story, that someone in Nohr has developed a dangerous new Apricorn technology that allows for mass transport of "magical beasts" and allows normal people to have control over multiple such beasts. And I'm thinking of parallels to real-life weapons improvements in wartime.

I also notice that Luna and Rinkah are unique among non-royals in that their Pokemon can mega evolve. Does this mean anything?

I am just throwing ideas around like spaghetti, Maybe Elise and Sakura could be proto-Pokemon Rangers? They can call on wild Pokemon for help one time, but not in battle? Or maybe that suits Azura more.

I just find the premise super-exciting.

Elise getting Plusle later will no longer be a problem. One of the changes I'm making is that all the recruitable Fates characters will now have the ability to Link, since as I stated the Conquest manga made it clear the ability was more common then I originally gave it credit for. Basically, I made it out to be a bit more special then it actually was.

Right now, I'm busy 'statting out' everyone. Determining their Type Specialty, starting Pokemon, Perfect Link, and converting the Personal Skills into appropriate Warrior Skills. And once I'm done with that, I have to determine a move and Ability for every Pokemon used that wasn't in Conquest.

As a result, I'm actually altering several Pokemon assignments, Xander and Ryoma included. They're still going to get appropriate 'foils' though. Once I'm done, I'll put my work up in the main post and you'll be able to see for yourself.

Hmm, Rinkah and Asama can mega, as can Silas and Kaze (I might be missing others, I do not remember all the megas). I am mildly amused by Xander and Ryoma having Seviper and Zangoose. I have a guess as to what some of those *SPOILER* links are, given what you said about Pokemon Black and White.

I like Wartortle for Corrin. It seems angry and I don't see them in stories too often. If Wartortle evolves, then she's gonna have two potential megas. I am now curious if Pokemon can mega evolve if their warrior does not have a perfect link with them (looking at you Azura and Corrin).

The older brothers and younger sisters not having their perfect link Pokemon yet makes me think it's like they haven't decided what they want to do with their lives yet, or they are following the wrong paths for themselves. Like "I'm studying to be a doctor because my parents pressured me but I really want to be a stand-up-comedian" except more appropriate for the setting.

Wow, nice choices! In particular, you struck gold with Charlotte and Azura! I thought about Lapras for Azura, but I've totally forgotten about Altaria! It is a reference to Shigure? Cause Altaria really fits him.

Edited by Water Mage

Hmm, Rinkah and Asama can mega, as can Silas and Kaze (I might be missing others, I do not remember all the megas). I am mildly amused by Xander and Ryoma having Seviper and Zangoose. I have a guess as to what some of those *SPOILER* links are, given what you said about Pokemon Black and White.

I like Wartortle for Corrin. It seems angry and I don't see them in stories too often. If Wartortle evolves, then she's gonna have two potential megas. I am now curious if Pokemon can mega evolve if their warrior does not have a perfect link with them (looking at you Azura and Corrin).

The older brothers and younger sisters not having their perfect link Pokemon yet makes me think it's like they haven't decided what they want to do with their lives yet, or they are following the wrong paths for themselves. Like "I'm studying to be a doctor because my parents pressured me but I really want to be a stand-up-comedian" except more appropriate for the setting.

Okay, first, Rinkah having a potential Mega is sheer coincidence. As a member of the Flame Tribe she HAD to have a Fire-type, and since she's a 'proud warrior' type a secondary Fighting-type was appropriate and of the three Fire-Fighting lines the Blazikein line just happened to feel the most fitting.

Actually, some characters not having their Perfect Links yet is more an indication they will get those Pokemon later in the story. Such occasions are inevitably a source of character focus, but except possibly in the case of the older brothers, not indicative of anything in particular.

Originally, very few characters were going to start with their Perfect Link, but I eventually the decided the process of them obtaining those Links would drag down the story (not to mention nearly double the number of Pokemon characters) resulting in all but a few starting with their Perfect Link instead.

And did you catch the other joke with Ryoma's Pokemon

A character does not have to have a Perfect Link with a Pokemon to Mega Evolve them. Mega Evolution is more connected to the 'main game Trainer' side of the story. By which I mean while Conquest is the primary inspiration and operation, more traditional one-on-one battles are still a thing and are important to the story.

Wow, nice choices! In particular, you struck gold with Charlotte and Azura! I thought about Lapras for Azura, but I've totally forgotten about Altaria! It is a reference to Shigure? Cause Altaria really fits him.

Thank you! This was more difficult then it looked, because I also had to ensure there was a relatively balanced representation of Types. Still pulled it off pretty well.

Nah, it's not a Shigure reference. I'm actually going to tweak Azura a little later, but Altaria's still her starter.

(Also I'm on my phone right now so my response is hindered a bit)

Edited by Alisa180

Yea, I see that joke.

Side note. Ryoma and Kamui like mid-stage water starters.

Since you didn't say anything about them is the fact that Silas and Kaze can mega significant? And Asama?

Flavor text ideas: different locales have different Vivillon and Hoshido and Nohr have different Shellos/Gastrodon. Am I being annoying with these ideas you don't intend to use?

I also love Charlotte with Granbull. Suits her so well.

Yea, I see that joke.

Side note. Ryoma and Kamui like mid-stage water starters.

Since you didn't say anything about them is the fact that Silas and Kaze can mega significant? And Asama?

Flavor text ideas: different locales have different Vivillon and Hoshido and Nohr have different Shellos/Gastrodon. Am I being annoying with these ideas you don't intend to use?

I also love Charlotte with Granbull. Suits her so well.

Asama, no. As with Rinkah, the fact he has a Pokemon that can Mega is coincidence. Silas and Kaze...Maybe, it depends.

Its less that Ryoma and Corrin like mid-stage water starters, and more that I have a personal preference for mid-stage starters.

No, you aren't being annoying. That said, as I put in the notes, this is going to be less extensive then originally planned, owing to the fact that if I wait for a translation of Invisible Kingdom, I'll probably burn out beforehand. Meaning such worldbuilding ideas are going to get much less use, as the focus is now on portraying how the plot differs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This fanfic seems interesting. I recommend giving Takumi a secondary Flying specialty, since his signature weapon is the Wind God's Bow, and giving Leo a secondary affinity to Grass, since I read that his personal tome Brunhilde spawns trees (I don't have the game, so I can't confirm it).