Critical hit/Skill activation Quotes question.

Alvin1104

I don't know if this has been asked or answered already but I can't seem to find anything so if anyone could help, that would be much appreciated, but here is my question:
Have ANY of the Critical Hit/Skill activation quotes been translated? I'm really interested to see them.

(More specifically, do Odin, Lazward and Luna have the same critical hit/skill activation quotes from their real identities from Awakening or are they different or vaguely reference their awakening quotes? And do Gray, Matoi and Shara have the same critical hit/skill activation quotes as their previous selves from Awakening? Or are they new/vaguely reference their awakening quotes?)

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there are plenty of "sorry", "I'll do it", "it's over" and "I'll protect everyone".

I haven't used the Awakening expies enough to say anything for certain, but I believe they keep their critical hit lines.

Well there are plenty of "sorry", "I'll do it", "it's over" and "I'll protect everyone".

I haven't used the Awakening expies enough to say anything for certain, but I believe they keep their critical hit lines.

So a lot of the critical hit/skill activation quotes are similar?

That's interesting to hear! I'm actually pretty happy they keep their current lines. Thank you for replying owo

The Japanese crit quotes tend to be less creative than the localized ones in general, I think in Awakening half the cast had some variant of "prepare yourself"

Ah okay so i'd be better off waiting for the localisation to see then?

The Japanese crit quotes tend to be less creative than the localized ones in general, I think in Awakening half the cast had some variant of "prepare yourself"

So wait, does this mean that the NoA localization is responsible for all of the Awakening characters being sadistic and bloodthirsty monsters?

Edited by BrightBow

From what I've read, both Leon and Takumi bitterly say "You're an eyesore!"

Wait, so Kisaragi also gives you that cheerful smile and shouts that?

Edited by Minischew

Oh my gosh, this definitely changes a lot of things. Not just because of the sociopathy but a lot of the forcefulness of their "personality" came from their insistence to force their hat into every single activity, no matter how out of place it would be. And most of the game takes place during battle, so it's very effective at killing any kind of curiosity about the character.

Edited by BrightBow

Oh my gosh, this definitely changes a lot of things. Not just because of the sociopathy but a lot of the forcefulness of their "personality" came from their insistence to force their hat into every single activity, no matter how out of place it would be. And most of the game takes place during battle, so it's very effective at killing any kind of curiosity about the character.

The localization is also directly responsible for Severa being hated more in Western territories than she would have been had they leave her alone (the localization played up her bitch attitude because Westerners apparently love assholes).

The localization is also directly responsible for Severa being hated more in Western territories than she would have been had they leave her alone (the localization played up her bitch attitude because Westerners apparently love assholes).

...Umm, she was a straight tsundere in the Japanese version; she would've been hated over here regardless.

So wait, does this mean that the NoA localization is responsible for all of the Awakening characters being sadistic and bloodthirsty monsters?

Nope. NOA didn't localize Awakening. It was outsourced to 8-4.

The issue is 8-4 is way too willing to make alterations for the sheer sake of it(as is exemplified spectacularly with Azure Striker Gunvolt). I think the Treehouse will be more likely to stay true to the Japanese when possible rather than spice it up.

Edited by The DanMan

I think the Treehouse will be more likely to stay true to the Japanese when possible rather than spice it up.

Which is kinda disappointing, since the Crit quotes actually having some variety and flavor is one of the things I liked best about the localization of Awakening. I prefer them being unique compared to about 10 people saying "Gomen ne" and "Owari da" or some variant, in addition to the kids having some personality of their own rather than inheriting their parents' quotes. I at least hope the Fates localization retains that from the Awakening one~

...Umm, she was a straight tsundere in the Japanese version; she would've been hated over here regardless.

I didn't say that she wouldn't have been hated at all (and for the record opinions of her are mixed in the West), just that she would be less hated than she is now. I know that she is Asuka Langley Soryuu in Fire Emblem, but in the West she's a meaner Asuka Langley Soryuu in Fire Emblem. I personally don't have strong opinions of her (or virtually anything in a video game for that matter) but I liked her portrayal in the source material more (or disliked it less or however you want to perceive it) than her portrayal in the dubbed material simply because she's not that mean. The localization did make some characters more interesting/likeable to their userbase than other countries did but that was not the case for Severa out here in America. And I'm not going to get into another "archetype/stereotype/whatever you want to call it" debate because it's generally pointless and accomplishes ultimately nothing.

(More specifically, do Odin, Lazward and Luna have the same critical hit/skill activation quotes from their real identities from Awakening or are they different or vaguely reference their awakening quotes? And do Gray, Matoi and Shara have the same critical hit/skill activation quotes as their previous selves from Awakening? Or are they new/vaguely reference their awakening quotes?)

Oh Oh! I realized Grey has a critical that is the same as his Awakening critical line!

Fates: 甘すぎるぜ! https://youtu.be/9xqb5cVBBK8?t=40s

Awakening: 甘すぎるぜ!

Lazward also has a few that's the same as his time from Awakening!

Fates: なに見てんの?Nani mi ten no? (although the mi is a bit hard to hear in this one) https://youtu.be/9xqb5cVBBK8?t=5m51s

Awakening: なに見てんの? https://youtu.be/72Cx5U1E4vw?t=2m55s

Fates: …ごめんね。(...Gomen ne.) https://youtu.be/9xqb5cVBBK8?t=6m

Awakening: …ごめんね。(...Gomen ne.) https://youtu.be/72Cx5U1E4vw?t=2m45s

Tharja/Shara:

Fates: 遊んであげる… (Asonde ageru…) https://youtu.be/9xqb5cVBBK8?t=6m18s

Awakening: 遊んであげる… (Asonde ageru…)(only said a lot creepier in comparison) https://youtu.be/72Cx5U1E4vw?t=5m9s

Fates: うっふふふふふふふ!(not gonna count the number of ふ's to be accurate though) https://youtu.be/9xqb5cVBBK8?t=6m26s

Awakening: うっふふふふふふふ!https://youtu.be/72Cx5U1E4vw?t=5m3s

Basically, Holy shit! There was a lot more than I expected.
And I'm not even done yet.

Oh Oh! I realized Grey has a critical that is the same as his Awakening critical line!

Fates: 甘すぎるぜ! https://youtu.be/9xqb5cVBBK8?t=40s

Awakening: 甘すぎるぜ!

Matoi also has "Owari ni shimashou."

Syalla has that evil laugh and "Asonde ageru" (I have no idea how to type in japanese or which kanji to use)

Lazward has "...Gomen ne" and "Nani miten no"

Odin has "Kore ga shin no chikara da!" and "Chikara ga *something because I'm not fluet in japanese* suru". His last quote is related to one of his Awakening ones. Here he has "Hissatsu! Awaking *Something*", while in Awakening he had "Kurae! Hissatsu!"

No idea about Luna's quotes.

Edit: Ninja'd

Edited by Luankachu

I'd rather have "boring" quotes than ones that damage characterization.

If you're just going to make all the characters say the same damn thing, what's even the point of having critical quotes in the first place?

Also,

damage characterization.

Mind explaining?

Owain/Odin:

Fates: これが真の力だ!(Kore ga shin no chikarada!) https://youtu.be/9xqb5cVBBK8?t=6m40s

Awakening: これが真の力だ!(Kore ga shin no chikarada!) https://youtu.be/72Cx5U1E4vw?t=3m10s

Fates: 力が暴走する…!(Chikara ga bōsō suru…!) https://youtu.be/9xqb5cVBBK8?t=6m48s

Awakening: 力が暴走する…!(Chikara ga bōsō suru…!) https://youtu.be/72Cx5U1E4vw?t=3m18s

And this time Owain named his sure-fire-kill (hissatsu), so it's not the same anymore. )=

Cordelia/Matoi:

Fates: あたしなら…!(Atashinara…!) https://youtu.be/9xqb5cVBBK8?t=7m23s

Awakening: あたしなら…!(Atashinara…!) https://youtu.be/72Cx5U1E4vw?t=6m8s
Fates: 終わりにしましょ? (owari ni shimasho?) https://youtu.be/9xqb5cVBBK8?t=7m27s
Awakening: 終わりにしましょ? (owari ni shimasho?) https://youtu.be/72Cx5U1E4vw?t=6m2s
And since I don;t have footage of Luna's crits (without going into the spoiler territory of looking at livestreams)
That's it!
A LOT more than I thought they would use.
Edited by squkyshoes

One of the "complimentary" parent/child quote pairs that Cordelia and Severa had going on in Awakening was Cordelia's 目障りなのよ...! (mezawari na no yo...!) vs. Severa's しつこいのよ!(shitsukoi no yo!), do Matoi and Luna still have those?

These were probably the ones that got turned into "Now you've angered me" and "You're boring me!"

Edited by Bovinian

One of the "complimentary" parent/child quote pairs that Cordelia and Severa had going on in Awakening was Cordelia's 目障りなのよ...! (mezawari na no yo...!) vs. Severa's しつこいのよ!(shitsukoi no yo!), do Matoi and Luna still have those?

These were probably the ones that got turned into "Now you've angered me" and "You're boring me!"

I don't know about Luna, but it doesn't seem like Matoi has it in the critical quote video. For some reason, some characters only had 3 critical quotes shown (as was the case with Corrin, Kanna, Matoi, Tsubaki...) while others had 4 (Like Midoriko and Suzukaze), so there's still a chance that it's in the game (Unless some characters have more critical quotes than others).

On the other hand, Takumi and Kisaragi do have those quotes. Takumi has "Mezawari nan dakedo" (Note: I'm not fluent in japanese, so I might have spelled it wrong) while Kisaragi has "Shitsukoi yo".

Edit: Just checked. Both of those quotes were Severa's. Cordelia has "Mezawari yo" and "Shitsukoi wa yo" instead of "Mezawari na no yo" and "Shitsukoi no yo"

Edited by Luankachu

If you're just going to make all the characters say the same damn thing, what's even the point of having critical quotes in the first place?

Also,

Mind explaining?

No, I don't mind explaining. Actually, thanks for asking me, because while I've been trying to type up an explanation, I've come to a surprisingly simple conclusion:

I'm biased. I'm heavily biased towards the Japanese quotes. My favorite character in Awakening was Inigo, and I felt that they had done a great disservice to his character in the localization, especially with his quotes. Therefore, I grew to accept the Japanese quotes for the other characters as well, even when the localization sometimes had the superior option. (I don't think anyone can hate on Frederick's "Pick a god and pray!" quote.)

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, I'll continue on with the rest of my answer. But this is a strongly biased explanation, so take it with a grain of salt.

I felt that the localized quotes ruined the characterization, because it made the characters feel much more callous. The game reminded us that our characters were fighting for their friends and future; yet, by focusing their quotes on their bloodthirstiness, it felt like they were detracting from that point. By having the characters be nothing more than sadistic, it felt like the game was mocking the harshness of war.

For instance, Chrom's quote of "This will end it." changed to "Your end has come!" This upset me because Chrom was fighting for the peace of Ylisse, not to bring about the destruction of the opposing army. Yet, I felt that the former quote focused on the conclusion of the battle, which would bring about positive results, whereas the latter quote focused on the conclusion of the enemy's life. To me, this quote suddenly made Chrom a much more aggressive and bloodthirsty character than the rest of the game had shown him to be.

Another change that frustrated me was Yarne's, whose quote went from "I won't go extinct!" to "Now! You go extinct!" Yarne's characterized to be a very cowardly character. In one of the Drama CD's for the Past Future, he refused to fight at first because of his fear. He only decided to participate and be brave after he realized that his friends needed his support. So the sheer fact that they changed his defensive quote to an offensive one really irked me. Yarne isn't out to kill people; he's aiming to save himself and his peers. He's focused on survival, not destruction.

But, as I've mentioned, the quotes that bothered me the most were Inigo's. Here are Inigo's four quotes in Japanese:

"What are you looking at?"

"I won't hold back!"

"Won't you move for me, please?"

"...Forgive me."

Here are his four quotes in English:

"This is your last dance!"

"I'm a man of passion!"

"It's been lovely."

"No hard feelings."

It's pretty obvious that Inigo's English quotes are much more relaxed and casual-- much more... flippant. They're so frivolous and out-of-place in a war. As in, he doesn't give a shit that he's ending the enemy's life; that this is just some entertaining routine.

And that just pisses me off so much, especially considering that Inigo's constantly burdened by the fact that he kills people. This isn't only for Inigo-- the child characters don't go around chopping people's heads off for fun. They do it out of necessity, to save the future. And the localized quotes don't reflect that desperateness at all. They focus on his facade. And maybe that's the proper way to go about it; maybe it's right to assume that he'll keep his cheery persona even during battles. But to me, they just feel too off. To go step by step:

"What are you looking at?" vs. "This is your last dance."

This is a similar issue as the one with Yarne. The JP quote is defensive; the localized quote is offensive. In the JP quote, Inigo recognizes the enemy's threat and addresses it accordingly. In the second one, he realizes that he's got the upper hand and mockingly calls the enemy's struggle a "dance." What's really insulting is that Inigo has the highest reverence for dances, so I can't fathom that he'd callously hurl the word as an insult. That just doesn't sit well with me, and it seems to develop some sort of sadistic persona that really isn't necessary for Inigo.

"I won't hold back!" vs. "I'm a man of passion!"

This one isn't as bad, but I don't like how the latter quote makes a reference to his flirtatious attitudes. Sure, passion can also be used to indicate strong motivation, but I think the fact that Google lists "intense sexual love" as the second bullet point of the first definition just shows how strongly passion is associated with romance. The localized quote made it seem like Inigo doesn't take the battle seriously, and that his mind is still on cloud nine with girls. And... it's not like he's just playing with the enemy or anything, and he's not some condescending character that throws out purposefully facetious remarks.

"Won't you move for me, please?" vs. "It's been lovely."

Same as above. The first quote in some way shows that he acknowledges the enemy, whereas the second one shows that he treats the enemy like utter trash. The latter phrase is often a pick-up line after a date, and I'm pretty sure the localizing team knew that when they threw it in as Inigo's quote. The first quote shows his reluctance to fight, but the second one doesn't. And the first quote isn't being passive aggressive either; there's no sign of agitation in Inigo's voice when he says it.

"...Forgive me." vs. "No hard feelings."

This is the very reason I started paying attention to Inigo at all. When I first turned on the JP voices, Inigo's critical quote threw me off. Whereas others were determined or mocking, this just came across as... sincerely sorry. I know Olivia says "gomenasai~" as well, but it doesn't carry across the seriousness (with her cutesy voice and all). I don't know, this quote just shows that Inigo doesn't want to kill, and he's really not out to get blood. But... the localization makes it seem like he's jokingly sadistic, and I don't know how to feel about that.

All in all, this turned out to be a long-winded explanation, and I wouldn't blame you if you got bored or lost. I feel like I'll be going heavily off-topic from the thread's purpose if I continue with this, so I'll just end it here and hope this serves as a satisfactory reason as to why I feel that the creatively bloodthirsty localized quotes hurt characterization.

Edited by Minischew