What Starter Type Do You Typically Choose?

Captain Karnage

What starter type do you typically choose?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. What starter type do you typically choose

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>implying grass types are bad

>Serperior is an OU pokemon

>tfw

ee4.png

I did not know Superior was OU. And grass is weak to Fire, one of the most popular types, and in general has a disproportionate amount of weaknesses when compared to resistances. I feel like the type should've gained fairy resistance come Gen 6, but eh...

Edited by The DanMan

I did not know Superior was OU. And grass is weak to Fire, one of the most popular types, and in general has a disproportionate amount of weaknesses when compared to resistances. I feel like the type should've gained fairy resistance come Gen 6, but eh...

In Gen 6, the grass type gained an immunity to "powder" moves, like Spore, Sleep Powder and Stun Spore. And to be fair Fire is just as fragile as grass.

Now that I think about it all of the Fire starters are fragile, and have low defenses.

I don't think there's a fire starter that's defensive, I mean there's Emboar's large hp, but still...

Not to say they are bad, most fire starters are good, very good actually, but I just realized that there's little variety when it comes to fire starters, it's always high offensive stats and low defenses.

It's kinda disapointing.

The should be more defensive fire pokemon, like Heatran. I mean, fire is still a fragile type, but it got a lot a resistances that people don't take advantage of.

Granted their weakness are far more common than their resistances.

Edited by Water Mage

In Gen 6, the grass type gained an immunity to "powder" moves, like Spore, Sleep Powder and Stun Spore. And to be fair Fire is just as fragile as grass.

Now that I think about it all of the Fire starters are fragile, and have low defenses.

I don't think there's a fire starter that's defensive, I mean there's Emboar's large hp, but still...

Not to say they are bad, most fire starters are good, very good actually, but I just realized that there's little variety when it comes to fire starters, it's always high offensive stats and low defenses.

It's kinda disapointing.

The should be more defensive fire pokemon, like Heatran. I mean, fire is still a fragile type, but it got a lot a resistances that people don't take advantage of.

Granted their weakness are far more common than their resistances.

I didn't know about the powder deal.

As for fire type, it's not that the typing itself is good; there are just some really good, offensive Pokemon in it.

I didn't know about the powder deal.

As for fire type, it's not that the typing itself is good; there are just some really good, offensive Pokemon in it.

They actually changed a lot of things in Gen 6.

For example, eletric pokemon are now immune to paralysis and some pokemon had their stats mildly changed, such as Wigglytuff, Clefable and Vileplume getting a boost to their Sp. Atk and Raichu and Pidgeot got a little faster.

As something of an aficionado of Fire-type Pokémon, their similarities are as much a strength as a weakness. If you are looking for defensive tactics in the Fire-type, you are quite simply doing it wrong. (Might I recommend something like Ferrothorn instead to cover your more common weaknesses?) Fire is the type of all rushdown, all the time!

True, our commonly-associated status effect Burn inflicts an offensive debuff, and it is in fact possible to throw your opponent off with a Chandelure in a supporting/Hazer role (because who does that?) using Will-O-Wisp to inflict the effect reliably (the next most reliable move being Inferno, with 100% proc rate but 50 Acc, and after that the almighty Sacred Fire, exclusive to Jhoto's legendary Fire-types) . . . but generally speaking the main draw to Burn is that the afflicted Pokémon (particularly if a physical attacker) becomes substantially easier to out-race, which is perhaps notable against most Flying-types with access to Roost, for example.

Edited by Tamarsamar

I just realized that, other than using a Greninja for both X and Alpha Sapphire (which I didn't even start with, by the way, I bred for it), I've avoided the water starters like the plague somehow.

Like, Gen I it was Bulbasaur/Pikachu, Gen II it was Cyndaquil, III was Sceptile, IV was Torterra, V was Tepig and Snivy, and VI was Fennekin. I don't know why. I LIKE the water starters, I think they're pretty cool. I just never used 'em for some reason.

Which is probably why I'm pretty much planning to use them in my upcoming Nuzlockes, starting with Oshawott.

I chose

Charmander, Else Charmander (red)

Cyndaquil, Else Chikorita (silver/crystal)

Torchic, Else Treecko (sapphire)

Chimchar, Else Chimchar (pearl)

Turtwig, Else Chimchar (platinum)

Totodile, Else Totodile (soul silver)

Fennekin, Else Fennekin (y)

Treecko, Else Treecko (alpha sapphire)

So Fire, then Grass.

Edit: I tend to prefer special and/or speedy pokemons.

Edited by Quintessence

The Water starter is my favorite in almost every gen (not sure about VI; about to finish my first playthrough of Y with Chesnaught and I like all of them pretty much equally in terms of design). It's not always the first I pick, though. Like I mentioned, I went for Chespin in Y, along with Charmander in FireRed and Turtwig in Diamond.

I can't really say why I prefer the Waters, since I wouldn't even call them my favorite type or anything. I guess they just all have great designs and well-rounded stats to me.

Edited by TheCosmicDude

With a few exceptions, I always seem to alternate between Grass and Water:

Generation 1: Charmander

Generation 2: Totodile

Generation 3: Treecko

Generation 4: Piplup/Turtwig

Generation 5: Snivy/Oshawott

Generation 6: Froakie

Edited by CountessGardevoir

• 1 month later...

I go after aesthetics. Won't really matter in the long run since Pokemon is becoming easier and easier :/

My first time picks:

Gen 1: Bulba

Gen 2: Cynda

Gen 3: that pokemon that spawned that meme

Gen 4: Chimchar

Gen 5: Oshawhat

Gen 6: the pokemon that everyone wants to nerf

• 1 month later...

I usually go with Water. I usually like the designs the best and I like that you only have to worry about 2 weaknesses (barring secondary types). The only downside is that in all 4 regions that I choose Water there is both a Grass and an Electric type gym somewhere down the line. Actually, 5/6 regions have this only because Hoenn doesn't have a Grass-type gym. Ironically Mudkip is one of the two that I don't pick (the other being Squirtle because Charmander is vastly superior).

Gen 1: Charmander

Gen 2: Totodile

Gen 3: Treecko

Gen 4: Piplup

Gen 5: Oshawott

Gen 6: Froakie

I just tend to pick my favorites, which mostly tend to be water or grass.

Gen 1-Bulbasur

Gen 2-Cyndequil

Gen 3-Mudkip

Gen 4-Piplup

Gen 5-Oshawott

Gen 6-Chespin

Though I have used all starters from every region.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a mixed bag my most common is grass that said not by much so here's my list:

gen1- Squirtle

gen2- Chikorita

gen3- Torchic

gen4- Turtwig

gen5- Oshawott

gen6- Chespin

It's hard to pinpoint, when every two generations, I take the same type:

Typically, I choose my favorite, or the one I find the cutest.

1st: Charmander

2nd: Cyndaquil

3rd: Mudkip

4th: Piplup

5th: Snivy

6th: Chespin

If this continues like this, then it's going to be Fire for 7th gen.

• 3 weeks later...

I have no particular preference when it comes to typing. That said, I do have some starters I'm quite fond off.

Gen I: Actually, I don't think I've played enough Gen I to have an opinion. Wartortle and Ivysaur are probably the ones I like the most based on appearances. Also, my first Pokemon game was Yellow, so I guess Pikachu has to be my answer. Shame the little prick wouldn't evolve.

Gen II: On the other hand, I love all three of the Johto starters. The Totodile line inches out of my favourite, and probably my favourite starter overall. It was the one I choose when I first played Silver. Plus, Feraligator gets Sheer Force now, so it's pretty badass.

Gen III: Treecko, especially since they released Mega-Sceptile. It's got such a great design and typing. The other Hoenn starters are decent, too.

Gen IV: The worst starters for me. I just can't stand to look at the Chimchar and Piplup lines. Turtwig is my favourite here, but it's the best of the bad.

Gen V: Overall, Oshawott, because Dewott and Samurott are nice. For some reason, I'm also fond of Emboar, which is probably my favourite 3rd stage Fire starter in terms of looks. Weird. I've never used Snivy, but I've got nothing against it.

Gen VI: Fennekin and Braxian. They're pretty cute.

So give me a Totodile, Treecko, and Fennekin core. LC victory shall be mine!

Edited by Shuuda

• 2 months later...

Gen 1: Charmander

Gen 2: All of them. Mainly Totodile

Gen 3: Treecko

Gen 4: Piplup (sometime Chimchar)

Gen 5: Skipped but If I had to choose Oshawott

Gen 6: Froakie

I choose more water types, but I've played multiple times with the fire types as compared to the water types.