Fire Emblem Fates Manga Announced

Dronagon

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we both know the answer to that.

...I think all three of us have a good idea which it will be.

Anyway, as for the topic on hand: this could go any which way. Pokemon has had that one manga which has been going on for a long time, and though it has had several ups and downs, is generally a good read for series fans (or so I've heard).

The only FE manga I'm familiar with is the Dark Dragon one that was recently translated over here, and that's a poor basis for conjecture about this one for obvious reasons.

The big thing is Kibiyashi is working on it. Will this be closer to the original drafts (or at least better than the traditional story + mess + contrivances of the individual route plots)? I have neutral expectations for this.

EDIT:

Mamui/Femui/Aqua confirmed.

Source? Or joke?

Edited by The DanMan

This conversation about what they're going to choose is fun and all, but let's be real here.

No Items

Male Kamui X Azura Only

Final Destination: Invisible Kingdom

Oh.

God.

YES.

Edited by Thane

This conversation about what they're going to choose is fun and all, but let's be real here.

No Items

Male Kamui X Azura Only

Final Destination: Invisible Kingdom

Lol.

And side note: Battlefield is regarded as the best stage competitively.

I'm really not sure what to think of the announcement.

But...

NO. ITEMS. EVAAAAH!

I'm sorry.

They're making Kozaki do the art?

They sure do like that guy; guess he's coming back for the next game.

Kind of hope it's not like Awakening's gag manga

Ah, this might be a good time to ask a fairly general question: what is the point of doing a manga retelling?

I mean, I'm not trying to sound negative or anything, but they will most likely not be able to fit as much information into the manga compared to the game, and most of the people who are interested in reading it will have played the game already, no? As far as I know, it's very common over there; I believe every Persona game has had a manga written that retells the story, but I just don't see the point. Then again, I'm not very into that sort of thing, so I assume I'm just missing something.

Why not a anime? Seriously I love to see Kozaki's art in 2d with a good studio behind it. Plus it much more easier for anime to get localized instead of manga.

Edited by Awakener_

^ Why retell the narrative at all? Sounds unnecessary. Sure they could change things around and fix a few hiccups but why not something new?

Hm...I wonder if they'll do one Nohr version and one Hoshido version, like the Persona Q manga.

But yeah, I agree, something new would've been preferable. Or maybe Mr. Kibayashi could just use his original draft, if it's as different as I hope it is.

Edited by Thane

Ah, this might be a good time to ask a fairly general question: what is the point of doing a manga retelling?

I mean, I'm not trying to sound negative or anything, but they will most likely not be able to fit as much information into the manga compared to the game, and most of the people who are interested in reading it will have played the game already, no? As far as I know, it's very common over there; I believe every Persona game has had a manga written that retells the story, but I just don't see the point. Then again, I'm not very into that sort of thing, so I assume I'm just missing something.

I think you're right actually, I read a lot of those manga, and indeed, if the manga follow the exact same storyline as the game, there's not much point, just curiosity's sake.

Now if they took a lot of liberties on the other hand, that could be more very interesting as well as good. *cough* FE4 mangas...

Hey, I can dream !

Edited by B.Leu

Gonna feel silly for asking but Items? What do you mean in this regard?

I'm referencing a Smash meme: No items, Fox Only, Final Destination.

Basically, a lot of Smash players are quite hardcore and consider using items unbalanced, think many characters are flat out better than others and that any zone other than a flat, long plain can be used unfairly.

So they use no items, both use the same 'balanced' characters and pick a dull, flat plain to fight on.

^ Why retell the narrative at all? Sounds unnecessary. Sure they could change things around and fix a few hiccups but why not something new?

In general, japanese video game manga adaptions follow two paths: they're either comedy sketches, typically done in a 4-koma format, or straight adaptions with stuff cut out/added to get a complete story out in so many pages.

An example of the former would be the Xenogears 4-koma. An example of the latter would be the Devil Survivor manga.

This is done mainly because the manga's aren't meant to stand on their own as individual IP's. They're meant to serve as an advertisement to new fans, and as fanservice for current fans.

If the Fire Emblem Fates manga follows the latter path, here's what you can expect to see:

Male Kamui: In the event that they have to pick between two protagonists, it'll be Male Kamui.

Compression of unimportant events: Expect numerous battles/scenes to be cut or reduced in scale. If it isn't directly important to the plot, they aren't going to show it as we fought it.

Compression of 80% of the characters: Fire Emblem Fates has a huge cast, and I'll be incredibly surprised if this manga even hits a 100 chapters. Most characters are going to have their screentime cut immensely. Expect only Kamui, Azura and the royal families to get any real character or relationship development. Speaking of which...

Relationships: Azura and Kamui or bust. Seriously, they won't have time to develop many relationships. If anyone gets one, it'll be Azura and Kamui. If they don't, no-one will.

Routes: Personally, I suspect it'll be Invisible Kingdom, in an attempt to induce more people to buy the route.

Wasn't Invisible Kingdom actually written by someone else, rather than Kibayashi? This could be his own take on a "third path" type of story though rather than straight adaptation from the game. I don't see why they'd need the original writer if it were just a straight adaptation

Edited by NeonZ

Well I'm not entirely sure myself but if I had to guess, maybe some people like having the entire story in one congruent form rather than being segmented by gameplay portions. Something they can relax with rather thinking of strategies to get though a chapter. I can't say the same for others but sometimes I feel like playing games while other times I would rather read a book.

Having a manga retelling is really no different than a manga getting an anime adaptation or a novel getting a film adaptation, there are some things that can't be done in certain mediums. In this game's case you have scenes like with Ganz and Gunter in chapter 3 that come off as kind of awkward rather than being as emotional as it wants to be.

It's also a nice for advertisement purposes even if this game has already sold pretty well. Rather than having the game come out and being done we have things like, "Fire Emblem is getting a manga being drawn by Yusuke Kozaki," or "there's a Fire Emblem concert," or "new DLC"which keeps the game relevant and draws in more attention. Then there are people who would rather pay 500 yen to check out the manga first rather than shelling out 5000 yen for the game. Most of this is just conjecture though so take it as a grain of salt.

As for why I don't like the Awakening manga, well, it's kind of lame. One chapter you have Severa running around wanting to buy clothes, and you have Laurent trying to stop her from buying clothes, and another chapter we have Basillio trying on wigs because he's bald...

Simple: they think they can make money off of it.

As for why I don't like the Awakening manga, well, it's kind of lame. One chapter you have Severa running around wanting to buy clothes, and you have Laurent trying to stop her from buying clothes, and another chapter we have Basillio trying on wigs because he's bald...

The Awakening 4Koma is a perfect example of a gag manga. It's just a collection of 4-panel comics that generally stand on their own, with individual jokes for each one. The fact that Kozaki and Kibiyashi are in on the Fates manga heavily implies it's not going to be like that.

Edited by The DanMan

I hope they don't try to push Kamui/Azura. People exploded over Chrom/Sumia for Awakening, so I can hardly imagine the backlash at a legitimate canon pairing.

On a side note, I'm actually hoping this will be a gag manga. In a gag manga, each character's probably going to have a lot more screentime, whereas in a serious manga with a linear plot, only the main characters are going to be bathing in the limelight.

I hope they don't try to push Kamui/Azura. People exploded over Chrom/Sumia for Awakening, so I can hardly imagine the backlash at a legitimate canon pairing.

On a side note, I'm actually hoping this will be a gag manga. In a gag manga, each character's probably going to have a lot more screentime, whereas in a serious manga with a linear plot, only the main characters are going to be bathing in the limelight.

If they go the route of adapting the storyline then is a very good chance of M!Kamui X Azura considering that they are shipped so damn much through all three routes that it is practically Canon. Not to mention there isn't another viable female character that he could be paired up with due to 1) The amount of ship tease with him and Aqua and because of 1 when it comes to 2) There isn't any real chemistry between him and any of his other possible romantic interests. It always Aqua he is Aquaholic through and through.

However this can be avoided if they do what the anime adaptation of Persona 4 did and avoid and romance entirely with the exception of some teasing here or there but in the end my money is a gag series or a spin off story.

Edited by Iron Griffin