carefreejules joodles (update: Three Houses in Smash)

carefreejules

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is this the whole size? i always wonder how big i should make my drawings when i try, idk. big drawings are harder

Depends on what you mean by 'big'? Working with a bigger canvas is better because of the sharp and high quality of the resolution especially with scaling. I usually work in 2500 x 2500 pixels and then I crop accordingly. Working with a smaller canvas size limits to how much you can zoom in and scale without ruining the quality.

You have a lot more leeway and flexibility when you have a bigger canvas. Remember, it's easier to scale down than scale up.

Not a drawing but on my tumblr, I got an ask from someone, asking for drawing advice for beginners so I thought my response might be helpful or inspiring:

http://carefreejules.tumblr.com/post/146384007201/do-you-have-any-how-to-art-books-and-is-there-any

I’ve never actually owned any how to draw books unfortunately. Most of my experience and improvement came from art classes where a lot of life drawing was involved.
That would probably be my advice to beginner artists - to do lots of life drawing. The reason why the drawings you picture in your head don’t come out to how you want it to on paper is because you probably don’t have a lot of experience with knowing how to translate what you imagine into a drawing. That’s where life drawing comes in - if you can draw what you see, you’ll eventually be able to draw what you picture and imagine in your head - do you see what I’m saying?
Even though in your head you can somewhat grasp what the image is going to look like, if you haven’t trained or coordinated your hand and eyes so they can work together to draw what you see, it’s not going to come out as seamless as you’ve imagined.
So, my advice would be to do life drawing, study up on anatomy and proportions, look up tutorials and, do not be afraid to use references.
Thank you anon and I wish you the best of luck :>

Map001_zps7ctvqxcj.png

Map006_zpsm7utu8kl.png

Map015_zpslzhq1jbj.png

Map011_zpsy1svaubv.png

I'm in a bit of an art rut at the moment so I'm going to spend the creativity that I still have to design maps in RPG Maker MV ;u; It's so fun making maps in it.

Cool, I actually draw maps a lot more than people when I was a kid. My utter lack of drawing skills weren't as much of a hindrance, when I'm just making maps.

I'm in a bit of an art rut at the moment so I'm going to spend the creativity that I still have to design maps in RPG Maker MV ;u; It's so fun making maps in it.

These maps look nice!

Had a specific theme of this town you were going for?

And are you making these maps for some project?

These maps look nice!

Had a specific theme of this town you were going for?

And are you making these maps for some project?

Thanks :> It's hard to really put together a theme for a town since the tilesets in RPG Maker MV all look pretty generic so I mostly just wanted to make a lush little town in the foresty mountains with calming rivers running throughout the town. Basically, a peaceful and calm town!

I'm making these maps for a fan game I've very slowly putting together lmao

hatoful.png

WIP woop woop

I miss drawing Hatoful Boyfriend stuff ;u; I miss my pigeon fam

It reminds me of the family split screen in the Fates path split. Do you have to choose your husbando here?

What's the story behind peep-head on the bottom right there? It looks like a partial Baleful Polymorph gone wrong.

What's the story behind peep-head on the bottom right there? It looks like a partial Baleful Polymorph gone wrong.

Hatoful Boyfriend is a dating sim where you go to a school inhabited by pigeon and birb people and the birb you're talking about is named Okosan and he's the only one out of all of them who doesn't have a proper human form hahahahaha

He's also based on the creator's pet pigeon who is also named Okosan.

Thanks :> It's hard to really put together a theme for a town since the tilesets in RPG Maker MV all look pretty generic so I mostly just wanted to make a lush little town in the foresty mountains with calming rivers running throughout the town. Basically, a peaceful and calm town!

I'm making these maps for a fan game I've very slowly putting together lmao

I see

It all looks very nice and fitting with what you've mentioned.

oh my

i'm tempted to ask more about it, but i'm not sure if this is the right place to ask <~<

But it all looks nice!

Keep it up.

How do you make your lines so smooth?

I flick my wrist :>

Try it - just open a blank canvas, take a brush with pen pressure and try flicking your wrist when making lines. The speed and quickness of your pen strokes allows for cleaner and smoother lines

I flick my wrist :>

Try it - just open a blank canvas, take a brush with pen pressure and try flicking your wrist when making lines. The speed and quickness of your pen strokes allows for cleaner and smoother lines

Yeah, but it seems I have trouble with direction, but I'll try it a bit more.

Yeah, but it seems I have trouble with direction, but I'll try it a bit more.

Oh yeah, being able to make lines by flicking your wrist in the direction you want takes A LOT of practice. It took me 2-3 years to get comfortable doing it so don't feel bad if you can't get it right from the start because I never got it right from the start.

Edited by carefreejules

Oh yeah, being able to make lines by flicking your wrist in the direction you want takes A LOT of practice. It took me 2-3 years to get comfortable doing it so don't feel bad if you can't get it right from the start because I never got it right from the start.

With that sort of hand-eye coordination, you might make a good surgeon.