carefreejules joodles (update: Three Houses in Smash)

carefreejules

Of course! Feel free to send me a link to a drawing you want me to give advice on and I'll be glad to help :>

Thanks. Frustratingly, PhotoBucket is giving me an error message and won't let me get on right now.

The things I was going to post, is stuff that I've stuck on my art thread the last few months. If you have time, you can take a look, if you're curious, otherwise, I can post here, once PhotoBucket decides to cooperate. Sadly, I've been pretty nonproductive the last few months, a new baby and life in general have kept me from drawing much, and many of them are works in progress.

There's also my current avatar here, who I threw together in an afternoon.

EDIT:

[spoiler=Shaded Titania]21e3a45e-8681-4007-8793-9aa2af556dd4_zps

[spoiler=Works in progress]e16bb1a5-466d-4d29-906e-fd80e85ea172_zps

FioraBust_zpssyqiyazv.png

[spoiler=Craziness hastily thrown together]6d244521-b6c7-4975-8dc2-76c4eec53b32_zps

Edited by Rezzy

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful, I love the dress, though I'd need it to be symmetrical, if I wore something like that. I'm a big fan of petticoats and poofy dresses in general. Is that an original character, or based on a preexisting character? My only real nitpick is that her left foot seems to disappear, but that's a really minor

Here's what I added in my edit of my last post, in case you missed it. I would have put it in its own post, but didn't want to double post. If you wanted to take a look. Some are works in progress, since I'm terrible about finishing things nowadays, but I always love tips.

[spoiler=Craziness hastily thrown together]6d244521-b6c7-4975-8dc2-76c4eec53b32_zps

Beautiful, I love the dress, though I'd need it to be symmetrical, if I wore something like that. I'm a big fan of petticoats and poofy dresses in general. Is that an original character, or based on a preexisting character? My only real nitpick is that her left foot seems to disappear, but that's a really minor

Here's what I added in my edit of my last post, in case you missed it. I would have put it in its own post, but didn't want to double post. If you wanted to take a look. Some are works in progress, since I'm terrible about finishing things nowadays, but I always love tips.

The character is from a rhythm mobile game that I'm currently really into!

My only two pieces of feedback for what you showed have to do with shading and the hair (though it might be a stylistic choice of yours so feel free not take this advice). There isn't a whole lot of shading which still makes your drawings look a bit flat, but I do see your effort and experimentation.Try to use a darker colour if you want your shading to come out more noticeably. As for the hair, because you're making lines that go all the way from point A to point B, it makes the hair look like they're segmented like braids a bit, you know what I mean? Like the strands of hair feel separated almost.

If you look at my recent drawing, notice how my lines don't run all the way across her head and scalp. Depending on gravity or flow, hair doesn't really separate noticeably at the scalp but they do at the ends.

The character is from a rhythm mobile game that I'm currently really into!

My only two pieces of feedback for what you showed have to do with shading and the hair (though it might be a stylistic choice of yours so feel free not take this advice). There isn't a whole lot of shading which still makes your drawings look a bit flat, but I do see your effort and experimentation.Try to use a darker colour if you want your shading to come out more noticeably. As for the hair, because you're making lines that go all the way from point A to point B, it makes the hair look like they're segmented like braids a bit, you know what I mean? Like the strands of hair feel separated almost.

If you look at my recent drawing, notice how my lines don't run all the way across her head and scalp. Depending on gravity or flow, hair doesn't really separate noticeably at the scalp but they do at the ends.

Thanks, yeah I guess the hair is a bit my style, I could try changing it a bit, but I kinda like it. Of course if it looks egregiously bad, I could always try switching that up. My style's almost like a medieval stained-glass picture for lack of a better description.

For shading, do you put the shaded aspects in their own layer, or in the same layer as the colors? I've been putting base color and shading all in one layer, but if others trying putting the "shading" in a different layer, I could try that, unless I'm misunderstanding how the layers work.

Thanks, yeah I guess the hair is a bit my style, I could try changing it a bit, but I kinda like it. Of course if it looks egregiously bad, I could always try switching that up. My style's almost like a medieval stained-glass picture for lack of a better description.

For shading, do you put the shaded aspects in their own layer, or in the same layer as the colors? I've been putting base color and shading all in one layer, but if others trying putting the "shading" in a different layer, I could try that, unless I'm misunderstanding how the layers work.

It's always better to make new layers if you're adding something or making a new change. For me, I always have different layers for everything so I have a layer for hair colour, a separate layer for skin colour and so on. It helps keep things more organized and it's easier to work with components separately without interfering with other layers. It's also a lot easier to fix mistakes but having a lot of layers can be a pain to keep track of hahaha...

I always make a new layer for shading ABOVE the base colour. Depending on what program you're using, there should be an option called 'clip layers' or 'clip group'. Assigning a clipping layer to your shading layer allows you to work on top of what you have on the layer below.

Here's a visual example that will probably make more sense:

2_zpsdyrwjssp.png

Notice how Layer 8 is the base colour layer and there's a separate layer on top that's for shading. Notice how the shading is going outside of the lines, which isn't what I want since it looks messy. But if I clipped the shading layer:

1_zps7lvy3fkr.png

Notice how shading doesn't go outside of line art after I clipped it. That's because what ever you colour/draw on the clipped layer will only effect the boundaries of what is coloured on the layer below.

It's always better to make new layers if you're adding something or making a new change. For me, I always have different layers for everything so I have a layer for hair colour, a separate layer for skin colour and so on. It helps keep things more organized and it's easier to work with components separately without interfering with other layers. It's also a lot easier to fix mistakes but having a lot of layers can be a pain to keep track of hahaha...

I always make a new layer for shading ABOVE the base colour. Depending on what program you're using, there should be an option called 'clip layers' or 'clip group'. Assigning a clipping layer to your shading layer allows you to work on top of what you have on the layer below.

Here's a visual example that will probably make more sense:

2_zpsdyrwjssp.png

Notice how Layer 8 is the base colour layer and there's a separate layer on top that's for shading. Notice how the shading is going outside of the lines, which isn't what I want since it looks messy. But if I clipped the shading layer:

1_zps7lvy3fkr.png

Notice how shading doesn't go outside of line art after I clipped it. That's because what ever you colour/draw on the clipped layer will only effect the boundaries of what is coloured on the layer below.

I'll have to give that a try this weekend, hopefully, if I have time. I use GIMP, but can try to find if it has that option.

tumblr_ojadf6U0kp1rzdrddo1_r1_1280.png

Going back to doing more pixels! I bought a new tablet and ooooooooh my gooooooooooooooooooooood - it's a million times better than what I was using previously. It's from the same brand but the one I bought was one of their newer models so it's 10000000x nicer, smoother to draw on, firm and sturdy, and rechargeable pen. Tablet pens that need to run on battery can get out.

Photo of new tablet

tumblr_ojaf7krZJ91rzdrddo1_540.jpg

Edited by carefreejules

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, is that a thing now?  Maybe I should make a feeble attempt at drawing myself again. 

You are literally my opposite, I'm an INTJ.

Oh, is Dang your last name?  That's a cool last name.

8 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Oh, is that a thing now?  Maybe I should make a feeble attempt at drawing myself again. 

You are literally my opposite, I'm an INTJ.

Oh, is Dang your last name?  That's a cool last name.

It's actually been a thing for awhile but it recently started making its rounds again on Twitter and Tumblr

Yes, Dang is my last name lmao

It's one that's been memed to the ends of the Earth while growing up 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

tumblr_opevz0OKsD1v93gvto1_500.png

A friend and I did a little art collab where she sketched out one of the characters in IDOLiSH7 as a myrmidon while I did the line art, colouring and shading!

Edited by carefreejules

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since I'm still really into IDOLiSH7, I've been working on an ask blog for the lil' guy in my avatar! King Pudding is one of the mascots for the game and pretty much everyone in the fandom adores him. 

https://askousamapurin.tumblr.com/

Here are some of my favourite requests that I've done!

Spoiler

tumblr_otaq7rIrXS1wu3b71o2_1280.giftumblr_ot3fnvrILL1wu3b71o2_1280.png

tumblr_ot3fnvrILL1wu3b71o3_1280.png

tumblr_ot9ek9wvNT1wu3b71o3_1280.png

tumblr_ot3aict83M1wu3b71o2_1280.png

tumblr_oszp2zOMkq1wu3b71o2_1280.png

tumblr_osxtgbjilJ1wu3b71o2_1280.png

tumblr_osvyivtg4b1wu3b71o2_500.png

Edited by carefreejules

• 2 months later...