Klok Plays: THE ADVENTURES OF THE BOULDER AND CAPTAIN PHANTOM

Klokinator

Good morning everyone, and welcome to a brand new let's play of FE8! This is a randomized run using Otaku's randomizer! "But wait" I hear you say "What about your youtube??? WHAT ABOUT MANRIKLASS?" and I say............. maybe later. In the meantime, this is going to be a great LP. I previewed a bit of it, and it's AMAZING.

First off, I randomized FE8 with these settings:

8e4c89d59d.png

Having tried a bunch of variants, this is the most reasonable one I've found to date. I don't randomize weapons because it usually ends up stupid and broken, and I only randomize characters because the bases can be interesting. All in all, over multiple tries, this always ends up most balanced. Also, enemies get buffed, which makes FE8 finally hard again. Note that character growths have variance of 45, which means they can get anywhere from -45% to +45% on their original growth % totals. This tends to work out against me but who knows, maybe I'll get useful characters with good growths and not too many shitty ones?

This run will also help me focus down issues with my FE8 Fix Patch I'm working on. So without further ado, let's get started!

[spoiler=Prologue]
hddm3cU.png
Hard mode, always. I'm no wimp. Even if the enemy growths ARE buffed up to a 100% increase, how hard can it possibly be?

fn7msOg.png
Huh. King Fado sure surrounds himself with a lot of magic users. Let's hope they never try a coup, or his RES is being destroyed!

dTTOotP.png
I wonder what our first three character classes will be...

g79XqCK.png
Valter confirmed assassin. Oh my god that is such a perfect reclass for him.

fpgVJh7.png
The fact he doesn't 2HKO me here with a double is a total mercy move. And Valter shows nobody any mercy.

Ihrm5fp.png3HM0o5F.png
Uhhhh, "Seth", you know I can't use that, right? I'm apparently a Pupil now.

nMiQcsn.png34rOcmf.pngVWYwanL.png
Huh. He doesn't look so bad. Ewan replaces Eirika in this mode, so maybe he will turn out awesome? His only good stat appears to be Resistance, but curiously he has 5 movement. Don't forget, movement among the classes will be anywhere from 4-8! In this case, 5 is a pretty good number, and considering he's a Tier 0, that's great!
But what about his growths? You'll have to wait and see.

1ZIIsRU.pngrw8LUo2.png36qtMJY.png
THE BOULDER once again returns! This time he's a goddamn summoner with RES out the ass. I will have nothing to fear from mages! Note the 6 movement, expected for a T2 magic user. His SPD and Ewan's spd are pretty bad. Maybe growths will fix it. I... I wonder how they compare to this chapter's enemies?

Iln3Yxk.pngJloiaWg.png
T-THE BOULDER DOES NOT FEAR YOU! Yes, the enemy stats are already higher than vanilla, those 0-100% growth boosts are already kicking in and lemme tell you, that shit is gonna be huge later on down the line. In all honesty, I have no guarantees I'll be able to beat this hack. None at all.

3enfDkm.pngoivUTyP.png
Hahaha! Gotta love how the summon has better stats than the summoner! Sure, no DEF, but that's a good SKL/LUK rating, plus he makes for a good meatshield/distraction! As a final bonus, summons can fly, so he can get past barriers easily. Finally, every time THE BOULDER summons, he gains 10 EXP. That might be needed later on down the line for EXP grinding.

L4LuAjS.png
Couple turns later, after using summons to weaken the enemies and some attacks on them, Ewan gains his first level! It's shitty.

sUi0MGT.png
Moving the summon to the mountain, I create a target to draw the first enemy in, shielding Ewan with my Nosferatushield just in case.

XckFbF2.png
The summon has better hitrates than the enemy... wow XD

gY14HsG.pngSCO019c.png
More summoning to draw the boss in and see how I fare... the hitrates suck. I'll have to get him away from the forest.

1GIMr7q.png
Moulder gains his first level via summon spam. It's actually worse than Ewan's.

zmakiSS.pnguhkmrWb.png
Ewan gains another level! It sucks. I'm beginning to detect a pattern here.

Turns taken: 16. WHAT A GREAT START.

[spoiler=Growths for characters]
nMiQcsn.png34rOcmf.pngVWYwanL.png
Ewan's Growths:
HP: 20%
POW: 100%
SKL: 35%
SPD: 0%
LUK: 0%
DEF: 35%
RES: 50%
Comments: WHY GOD HAVE YOU FORSAKEN MEEEE?! Almost no HP, absolutely no SPD or LUK, but stupid high POW gaining! He'll hit like a truck and be locked to 2 SPD for the rest of the game. What a great character!
Klok Rates: 2/10!

1ZIIsRU.pngrw8LUo2.png36qtMJY.png
THE BOULDER'S Growths:
HP: 135%
POW: 0%
SKL: 50%
SPD: 5%
LUK: 0%
DEF: 25%
As usual THE BOULDER fails to disappoint! On top of having summoning skills, this badass has relegated his POW/SPD/LUK stats to the nether, forsaking them in favor of RAW DEFENSIVE POWERRRR! Also lots of SKL, because YOU NEED TO HIT THINGS TO STAY ALIVE!
Klok Rates: 2/10.

OH BOY I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT CHAPTER 1 WILL BRING US!

Edited by Klokky-Kuuuun!

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WElp. I have discovered the shittiness of a mouse with a button that goes back a page. I'll have to retype up this post. YAY.

This'll be fun to watch, especially if you get more characters that are gutter trash.

Gutter trash?! THE BOULDER resents that remark! Real men train their bodies to withstand all attacks! THE BOULDER is as hard as a rock, and I mean that in both ways.

. . .oh my.

How the heck will Ewan's promotion work? AND WHAT IS UP WITH THAT DEFENSE ON EWAN?!

Eh, 1 DEF, 13 HP, 2 SPD, he's just fantastic.

OK, time once again for chapter 1!

[spoiler=Axes out the Ass]
y366j2z.png
It begins.

oPTP7mh.pngJAszvzc.png
THE BOULDER devises a brilliant tactical maneuver designed to test the enemy's mettle! And it determines... these enemies are on par with summons right now. That's sad.

BmtMJUh.png
The summon and enemy trade blows and both hit. I was planning to have Ewan move up and finish the axeman off, but that didn't work out so well.

ERx7D7w.png
So instead I just sheepishly move Ewan down here.

OKtGlkK.pngv5RSsLN.png
The enemies are certainly new and improved. Soldiers are buffed from vanilla, and both classes have 6 movement. I wonder if I'll get a playable soldier myself?

GC5OSdu.pngyHOc09C.png

Breguet is 1-range locked and has shitty RES. Looks like a job for either Ewan or THE BOULDER! Unless I get other ranged units on this chapter.

raf8JIZ.png

Oh a real shit talker, huh? That's THE BOULDER you maggot, and he's here to smash you to bits!

uNLJ2kx.png

Methinks you misspelled pain and torture, friend!

jcF22vn.pngDGCd8sX.png

Man, Nosferatu is NosferaTOO GOOD TO NOT USE! The boulder chugs those uses down like alcohol after his failed marriage! No woman can satisfy him, only his beloved pectorals stand a chance of such a thing!

lyXPPLH.png

Aaaaand new units! ...both are axe wielders. Maaaaan...

da9Qc71.pngErb4vNY.pngOBXDKrO.png

So... not only did I get a journeyman... it had to be Ross. WONDERFUL! And his stats suck, of course. What's up with that random 9 RES? I hope I can fight against magic users soon because I am prepared as fuck! Also did I mention his Steel Axe slows him down by 7 points? He's -4 AS. WOOOOO!

6GbxnFx.pngyCjueCq.pngQLTj37X.png

Man, what is up with these weapon levels? All my units so far are A level. Camtech's randomizer never had this problem! But seriously now, Artur is better in pretty much every way. Even with that 11 CON though, he still loses -4 AS with his lightest weapon so GG ME for having the slowest turtle team in the history of the universe!

Let's hope both these guys have good growths. Please.

PmLTSbn.png

More nosferatu slurping of blood, yes. THE BOULDER shows you that vampires are the only salvation!

yRaer4w.pngk5DtaaY.png

These two tag-team the soldier, with Ross taking damage he'll have to heal off. Thankfully soldiers aren't good enough to double me yet, so that's nice.

43X3YkN.pngcHOmFyZ.png

1. Ross gains EXP absurdly fast, just like Ewan.

2. SHIN LEVELS CONFIRMED.

gQSFeuW.png

Let's try having this unit with only 4 LUK attack with a devil axe! What could go

FY0CiLB.png

WHAT A SURPRISE THAT WAS

and then I RNG abused to make it not kill him

YxKCLsG.png

For the final guy, THE BOULDER once again demonstrates his genius tactics for baiting his opponents into a bad spot!

0XmKaIe.pngsm8ZX58.pngcJgDpuB.png

Blows are traded, and the guy actually misses a hit on the phantom.

LwK0jk3.png

A few minutes of grinding hits later...

kFaz2UD.pngueZUJL1.pngNAHbf45.png

Ewan is literally the only person who can handle this boss. Everyone else has the accuracy of a musket from 1776.

yFkcQOt.pngz4fJJf6.png

Two shitty levels later...

4BPDqPX.png

AND THIS CHAPTER'S BEEN 12 TURNED LIKE A PRO!

[spoiler=Growths for the two axeholes]

da9Qc71.pngErb4vNY.pngOBXDKrO.png

Ross's Growths:

HP: 30%

POW: 45%

SKL: 90%

SPD: 45%

LUK: 5%

DEF: 30%

RES: 35%

Comments: Well, at least he has fairly universal stat growth! LUK sucks who needs it! And ALL OF THE SKILL! Too bad his defenses will be shity and even his SPD/POW will be lackluster.

Klok Rates: 4/10.

6GbxnFx.pngyCjueCq.pngQLTj37X.png

Artur's Growths:

HP: 0%

POW: 55%

SKL: 40%

SPD: 60%

LUK: 20%

DEF: 45%

RES: 75%

Comments: Holy shit! No HP growth but everything else is pretty good! You'll need like, every single robe under the sun BUT YOU'RE ACTUALLY A GOOD UNIT! That RES stat is so weird though. Everyone has either stupid high RES bases or stupid high RES growths. Lyon is gonna be rekt.

Klok Rates: 7/10!

And soon, chapter 2! Featuring... 4 new characters! Huzzah!

Edited by Klokinator

The growths.

You need your Est soon. This is looking like true Chaos there. You'll need to dump quite the statboosters on Ewan if Eph's replacement sucks. :D

Yus, THIS is the FE8 Chaos Mode hack! Mwahahahaha notreally

And now for chapter 2!

[spoiler=Beginnings of the fix patch effects]

Two new units gained right off the bat.

QyRlRdR.png5zYVslx.pngNeOgqz6.png

Rennac, who is clearly superior to Ewan in every way... except that fucking atrocious MAG stat. Throughout this chapter he scores a whopping 0-2 damage using the Fire tome but luckily Thunder doesn't slow him down, he has good SPD, and it patches up his damage a little. And his growths? We'll see.

Oh yeah AND HOLY SHIT 10 DEFENSE LIKE GODDAMN ARE YOU KIDDING ME

fkaglTT.png8esewcs.pngXBd3sXT.png

Seth comes out with a bang! Same class as vanilla, but a tier lower wut wut! Good CON, obviously good weapon levels like all units so far (Seriously though, Otaku, you need to make that not happen), and pretty balanced stats. 6 SPD isn't amazing but at least we can buy a sword on this chapter! As for his growths, we'll have to wait and see.

7uv8Flg.png

The only thing getting nailed today is YOU, fools! THE BOULDER will show you how a foe gets nailed!

Qlu1oGc.png

And here we see Ross straining to take the biggest dump of his life, while daddy watches in approval. Fire Emblem is messed up.

5Eof6lU.png

First big fix patch edit: Ross's character will start off with full HP now. The replaced character pretty much always died so I felt it was necessary. There's still some big luck based elements, but significantly less so now.

F8SomsW.png6aYhGt2.pngv24R5ZL.png

No flying units. No brigands. Let's hope they can hold out, because the best I can do is send over some phantoms.

NB7JYuB.pngi5zRlZk.pngjRRV5y3.png

First up is Hayden as a monk! We now have almost the entire weapon and magic triangles! We're only missing bows and a staff user! Pretty balanced for a randomized run, that's for sure! Maybe we'll get the other types next chapter? In any case, Hayden is............... aight. Unless he has good growths, he's not very impressive.

CzcnCp6.pngmp7bFSg.pngWG7782R.png

Knoll fucking sucks. Worst monster weapon, 2 SPD, and his only redeeming factor is decent defenses and decent HP. I should mention now I never actually know what a character's growths are until I type them out at the end of an LP when I go to look them up, so I'm just as surprised as the rest of you. I can only hope he's my Est. COME ON BAYBEY!

vIE9HAm.png

I skipped a few boring turns, and now Seth has an iron sword, and he's fighti- wait, he's a GIRL? Seth confirmed rename to Seth Jenner.

HvKqeLi.png

Hayden holds his own against this enemy, but unfortunately...

HgLHOkx.png

Captain dumbshit runs over and attacks this guy instead of standing still. He gets doubled, he gets rekked. Only 9 HP. I was gonna try and pull some phantom+rng attacking shenanigans...

xDdjiW3.png

...but the phantom only deals 7 damage out of 12, and has a 26% hitrate. Fuck that. Restart.

oPnles7.png3kjlmSA.png

After the restart, things go VERY well and Hayden critkills this guy, saving me tons of trouble! This one thing made the chapter like 60% easier.

0UzAfp6.png

This guy has a 61% AVO while standing on a mountain. They ALL do. FML.

gkyYmSh.png

Archer in the corner can double literally everyone on my team except Seth and Rennac, my two fucking badasses.

CTlSAkP.png

Bone is pretty scary, but I end up just killing him at range with my three magic users.

SbUDZuf.png

Rennac using that deadly magic on an enemy.

GxMOVRM.png

Ewan AKA BEST LORD EVER gets another shitty goddamn level up.

2ffBLgf.png

Thanks to that shop on this chapter, Artur no longer has AS loss, and Ross still is at only 1 AS.

acgFAYB.png

Killed this guy. Nothing special happened.

y1hVcNx.pngYbVmW6K.png

THE BOULDER does not understand the meaning of 'hitrates'. Where he comes from, you just smash your head on the dirt until someone walks in between the two of you.

H3FOHFc.png

Come on, Rennac!

Ifps5CF.png

No joke, these phantoms save my ass, and they're dodgy little fucks too.

ula6oa6.png6JQPEvQ.png

Despite all those growths, Artur will currently die to anything stronger than a twig falling on his head.

0kxln2W.png

BUT WHEN HE DOES GET A LEVEL...

oI3V3ON.png

Seth also gets good levels wao

L3wzJKw.png

Who are these people? Why are they tinted a shade of sepia?!

ju7Sgav.png

PRO MLG 6 TURN TAKTIKS

[spoiler=Growths!]

QyRlRdR.png5zYVslx.pngNeOgqz6.png

Rennac's Growths:

POW: 50%

SKL: 10%

SPD: 20%

LUK: 75%

DEF: 30%

RES: 55%

Comments: So long as you don't want to hit anything, dodge anything, or gain a single point of HP, this sumbitch is great! I'll probably keep him a while but I'm praying for better units eventually.

Klok Rates: 5/10.

fkaglTT.png8esewcs.pngXBd3sXT.png

Seth's Growths:

POW: 75%

SKL: 20%

SPD: 50%

LUK: 55%

DEF: 60%

Comments: HOLY SHIT! Now that's what I call a good unit! Seth's Solo Adventure indeed! Well, no HP growth... but I'd rather give HIM my robes than any of these other crappy units! His SKL isn't too hot but out of 7 stats, 5 are at 50% or higher! In this hack, that's phenomenal! Definitely endgame material, providing he can get HP.

Klok Rates: 8/10!

NB7JYuB.pngi5zRlZk.pngjRRV5y3.png

Hayden's Growths:

HP: 50%

POW: 80%

SKL: 75%

SPD: 0%

LUK: 40%

DEF: 0%

RES: 70%

Comments: In all honesty, while he has no SPD or DEF, he will make a great healer and a good unit VS the undead hordes if I promote him quickly for stave access. If only his base SPD were a few points higher, that'd be great.

Klok Rates: 6/10.

CzcnCp6.pngmp7bFSg.pngWG7782R.png

Knoll's Growths:

POW: 10%

SKL: 30%

SPD: 15%

LUK: 130%

DEF: 70%

RES: 30%

Comments: Go fuck yourself.

Klok Rates: 2/10.

Edited by Klokinator

Why does half of your team get 0% HP?

Use Knoll, he has a 130% Luck Growth. THE ONLY UNIT ABLE TO CAP LUCK.

1. I have no idea, but I did make sure not to tick balanced stats. I like having 0% stats, it's pretty funny :P

2. No, curse you and I'll even kill Knoll on this chapter just cuz I can :P

Chapter 3 mini-update: part 1. The last thing I'll post until later today after work.

[spoiler=Why god, why.]

5CGMYTe.png

Buy myself some hand axes because having two range is essential for my party of aspberger sufferers to survive. I skip the javelin since there's one in a chest here and it's not useful against earlygame axe users.

zZcl8Ck.png

Looks like Neimi is replaced by a knight. Who could it be?

F1CRXOZ.pngzE7nZoW.pngh5bM9vY.png

Ismaire! The redheaded knight... with fairly normal knighty-stats. I hope her growths are good because I could use a solid tank character. That STR is abysmal but with good growths, it could easily become top tier. 19 HP is the worst part though, against all these axe users, it's a death sentence.

8Xpvip3.pngitbSNwr.pngGh5u94b.pngFfr3y8r.png

The enemies are all pretty tough, and most start at around 9 SPD on this chapter. I can assume their stats will only rocket upwards as I go on. Again, no idea if this hack is even beatable. I'll likely be arena abusing a bit unless I don't get a healer.

Wn5fgb0.png

2d3f370db3.gif

Edited by Klokinator

The Boulder decided that he was too good for the shity holy hand grenade.

Holy crap, Knoll, that waste of an original class.

... The hell is that boss ?! XD

Two Ewans? Oh boy! Sounds like trouble!

EDIT : I'll try that one on FE6 hard mode and see how long can I hold on before I commit sudoku.

EDIT 2 : With your settings, it ends at chapter 4. Even with a Manakete Ray, I can't win it because I can't stop the trollforciements. Not to mention all the other units are crap while the enemies have for most of them almost capped stats.

Edited by Nintales

Um no, that specific Ewan is just a generic soldier.

Two Ewans? Oh boy! Sounds like trouble!

EDIT : I'll try that one on FE6 hard mode and see how long can I hold on before I commit sudoku.

MUST...FIND...OUT...WHERE TO PUT THE 6....

Edited by RandomSwordmaster

Monsters can promote. I'm doing a run myself with the same settings as Klok, and it seems he's just unlucky on units. I can promote Gerik, who is a Bow Bonewalker. Sadly, his promote gain is only +2 con, which is kinda underwhelming.

I have 2 god-tier units right now, who are Ephraim's replacement (Duessel) and Eirika's replacement (Neimi). Both of them has bad growths everywhere... Minus Str/Spd/Def (over 80 for Neimi, with a Spd Growth over 100, and Duessel has all of those around 80). And Neimi is a Draco Knight. I have a flying thwomp on my team at chapter 7, with Str/Spd/Def capped. Seth's replacement (Amelia) is also very good, because she is a Dragon Lord. The others are just bad, but I have two healers (who are ORKOed by any living unit in this game, minus mages), which means I'm less screwed by Klok.

Edited by Nintales

Should be the difference in Class Bases, right?

So Knoll would get 10 HP and 1 Strength/Speed if he actually was promoted.

This is what I'm doing, but the trouble is that it's not what FE8 does in general, so I'm just taking it as a reason to use monsters in general/for funsies since I can't be bothered balancing their promo gains. I wanted to know what Klok was doing, since I assume the ranndymizer has a better option