Klok Plays: THE ADVENTURES OF THE BOULDER AND CAPTAIN PHANTOM

Klokinator

KLOK THAT'S MINE! Stop!

Yeti started it first, you plebian. '3'

natasha nooo, prove our worth keeping!

*you're

and fuck, that 4 move makes her literally useless. She did nothing this chapter except kill a cleric.

When will we get a full update? :( I have no patience.

NOW!

Welcome back to the hardest chapter of my LIFE. I spent three hours on this chapter and took 100+ images. Somehow, this did not become a two parter.

[spoiler=Last time, on LOST]

d7w4OXj.png1JQqkfA.png

HA0Uda0.png5GM0Wij.png

So we start off the chapter with these two new units aaaaaand theysuckabagofdicks. So, I went into the CUE editors and autoleveled them both to level 10. The result was:

j3puvuf.pngBThKjqf.png

bdIZDjE.pngWxnIs5I.png

Better. At least mildly usable. I suppose it's kind of cheating, I just didn't want to deal with shitty units from here on out, so I'll likely be autoleveling newbies to a reasonable spot.

As for the units, yay an Eirika lord to use that prologue rapier, finally! Aaaaand anothergoddamnknight. Not impressed/10.

pxqgGix.pngfyr52Ys.pngV9HxCRl.png

Nu5nJlG.pngxJzYejd.pngov3AC39.png

z5rrvDU.pngwXfc5p9.pngovrv3Le.png

And here we can see DA KREW! Ismaire is pretty much dead weight at this point, so I ditch her. Syrene is more useful because of that dragonstone.

Now, at the beginning of the game, I rated THE BOULDER the same as Ewan, 2/10. Clearly though, that is not the case. In a game where almost all of my units are 40 HP or less this late in, he's a god send. He tanks magic attacks, his DEF is good, and he has a fuckton of HP. He makes for a great wall, even against all the enemies that double him. His offense is OK too because he can hit RES and 13 MAG isn't as terrible as expected. He also has pretty OK staff utility thanks to capped resistance, and finally, he's a goddamn summoner in a game where a weak distraction every turn is a GODSEND.

Thus, I am revising his rating to 7/10!

Z4jjNv0.pngZM7dxTt.png

Ephraim starts us off with a bang. Let's just say, it's hammer time.

k1w4Eki.png5htxera.png

I spent a lot of this chapter quietly contemplating ways to get that wind sword. Will I succeed? WAIT AND SEE!

aU7CvaZ.pngc21umFq.png

SP5TsLg.pngxrxz8yY.png

0X2iEpR.png1QhEieL.png

1. It's hilarious that the sleep staff units have only 5 resistance.

2. What's not hilarious is they manage to put one of my units to sleep later on... with a 12~% hitrate.

9vmWKle.pnglogG6Es.pngDy3NJJj.png

If I had the power of foresight, I'd have entered this chapter with as many horse and armor slaying weapons as possible, but especially horseslayers. These cavaliers were complete cocksuckers.

OZsWWri.png

Vanessa can break her way out of hyere, but that mage will utterly shred her, even when autoleveled. I bet her growths SUCK because 10 autolevels barely raised her stats at all.

hPlJsGk.png

This priest, with 5 RES, uses a sleep staff on my phantom and fails. Three times. Gosh, that phantom must have a crapload of RES or something, maybe that's why the priest can't hit-

qOUZBJC.png

LOL

Can't hit a guy with 0 RES. That's so lame. Omg.

sMhio0a.png

CAPTAIN PHANTOM'S damage bites, but at this point I use him more for a reliable dodge bot and a distraction since enemies still primarily target him. I can't imagine playing this game now without CAPTAIN PHANTOM. It just wouldn't be the same.

U6S6Qu3.png

They used to be a threat earlier in the game, but most axeman now only have like ~6~ STR, so they can't even damage Ephraim.

ah0dKZA.png

Every time you get +2 STR, my heart sings.

uNdsd3u.png

You suck so fucking bad.

ZmWQ8Ug.png

For some reason, all the enemies including L'Arachel start charging up north, presumably to attack Vanessa.

gYukdhe.pngmT8GT20.png

These cavs have soooooooooooooooooooo much defense. Like... my god.

wby8T8M.png

Eat a dick.

ZdTK6p3.png

W-what the hell are you doing?

tWgiK57.png

Oh god, Vanessais surrounded, and she has no vulneraries or any way of fighting back!!! Luckily...

3iYtCvT.pngggzAfmf.png

I find a blind spot in between a melee merc and a melee knight. Hopefully no longbow users come up here.

kKgrD7H.png

Seth, Fado, and Tethys pretty much did everything this level. I'm gonna have to grind Ephraim up a bunch between chapters so he can be more useful though.

tiuy23U.pngGZiJVlT.png

You thought you could just spawn down here without my permission? THINK AGAIN!

VSvVzQp.png

Saleh may be offensively useless, but his high HP means he can occasionally take a blow if needed. I filed this under "still unlikely".

ccwAszS.png

She's still safe in this spot. For now.

m8qmQ5u.pngsQRYIA8.png

MFW Seth almost dies because of a horseslayer out of nowhere. Some people might think GK's are great, but being weak to all the effective weapons as well as magic is not exactly good.

oY43nTX.png

Suddenly the enemies up north move away, allowing the mage to attack Vanessa!!! Will she live? WILL SHE DIE?! FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON DRAGON-

ycL7pQg.png

Oh never mind, turns out there was another blind spot that opened up.

FOYVMS2.png

And then I accidentally killed my tank. Thank god for savestates!

MaweO7S.pngZy0DQjP.png

"Eyyy girl, what say you and me... make like a tree... and get wood..."

esb9M80.png

This randomizer still allows units to walk on walls. Lmao. If you put the glitch in, I will abuse it.

r9oYdkB.pngigVU2Qa.png

This tickling does not hurt Ephraim. It only makes him more powerful!

cCMgtOP.png

You're SO shitty, you can't even damage a knight?! Come on!

iPg7sJ2.png

k.

Rcn44fs.png

https://youtu.be/ueid02cwIv0?t=9s

ICaTHTu.png

STILL SAFE! Who needs a condom when you can just avoid the danger!

0P80NoV.png

I can even summon on top of walls!

jt2FWgU.png

Fado's 23 SPD makes him the fastest member of my team. Coupled with high MAG and hitting RES, he's the most powerful offensive unit on the team.

JJrA8xA.png

Syrene ain't too bad either.

0vYE7WN.png

FUCK YOU

jY3gYkq.png2jx8C51.png

This guy with luna critted. Nearly killed THE BOULDER in one shot. That was scary.

iqx3wSk.pngyMNNgKW.png

#TheATeam

B6siFG2.pngqlrFnvy.png

CAPTAIN PHANTOM soloed this guy all by himself.

wzzHAFh.png

He even got the dropped door key and released the prisoner by himself. Mother fucker is like a 1 man undead army.

MCpf4NA.png

YOINK!

nqibGXu.pngeVqZF05.png

Damn. /rewind a savestate

SShMgpM.pngGyfa4S0.png

GOD DAMN.

6lb1ikW.png

Neat!

k9h1w1K.png6eSLG9h.png

HEAVY PANTING

dzumlRh.png7ddgD3K.png

In FE8CM, the caps will be less underwhelming. There will actually be a cap difference for Rogue and Assassin.

5fvEig8.png

The poll was almost unanimously in favor of giving Tethys the robe, however...

1. Tethys has HP growth, Seth does not

2. Tethys has 20 DEF/RES. She also has a ton of AVO. She doesn't need more HP.

3. Since he can't gain HP and also has lower than preferred RES, Seth needs the HP.

Case closed!

VOkxTa3.pngy0IxamJ.png

Pull this out for the newly rescued Vanessa!

H1wKFNX.png

You make me cum.

aoigbsm.pngTVx0hh9.png

Then on the next turn after taking a HARD ONE to the face, she still dodges a sleep stave.

4L1NTM1.png

K.

lUc1H6U.pngycEoA6m.png

Success! By sending my 28 RES unit up there, the wind sword was useless, so he switched to the Slim Sword to hit me, and thus...

940Hexo.pngKdZElKP.png

I get the wind sword! Hurray!

Turns taken: WHO GIVES A SHIT!

[spoiler=Growths!]

j3puvuf.pngBThKjqf.png

Growths:

HP: 45%

STR: 70%

SKL: 40%

SPD: 30%

LUK: 50%

DEF: 50%

RES: 40%

Komments: First off, wow what balanced growths! Second, how the fuck did a 5 RES priest manage to put you to sleep? I call HAX! Anyway, pretty OK stats, give her a decent weapon and a bit of grinding and she'll turn out pretty competent! That HP is still pretty bad though :B

Klok Rates: 7/10!

bdIZDjE.pngWxnIs5I.png

Growths:

HP: 25%

STR: 45%

SKL: 30%

SPD: 65%

LUK: 40%

DEF: 45%

RES: 25%

Komments: Two units in a row that don't suck?! It must be my lucky day! Now despite that crappy HP growth, she starts with almost 40 HP, so it's not a big deal. The rest of her stats are pretty competent. Also, she can finally use that goddamn rapier.

Klok Rates: 7/10!

Edited by Klokinator

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, remind me, does Luna in FE8 only halve resistance instead of nullifying it? Because if it's the latter, the Luna shaman that critted Fado should have easily one-shotted him (48 damage, Fado has 41 health).

Oops XD, I meant to say it was THE BOULDER nearly killed. Would have helped if I took other screenshots.

Yeah, because he only had like 6 hitrate on Fado. THE BOULDER has almost no avo at all and horrible LUK.

In other news:

a47e088c6f.png

The boss of the tower isn't half as scary as that one OP entombed in the mid right that's always there. He's SO stronk!

Edit:

646f6d16b8.png

Apparently enemies can start spawned inside the walls??

Edited by Klokinator

You mean, you have two units with growths on the same chapter?

Truly that will be balanced by Cormag and Duessel! (who you might need to auto-level; +it doesn't seem you got a flier, so either pray for one there, either hack, either pass on Cormag because he'll likely have craptastic bases)

It's actually weird the randomizer didn't give you one 0%...

Saleh still balances that, I guess.

Fado and Tethys are end-game tier. Not sure for Seth, but he looks like he's going to struggle.

If THE BOULDER gets his T3 promotion, he'll be also end-game material. Even without though, he'll still do something thanks to how broken CAPTAIN PHANTOM is in FE8.

How long is Syrene going to last?

If you promote her, she can be a decent tank with 26/22. Coupled with the dragonstone (if you manage to preserve it this far), that's 41/42, which is quite the best you could achieve.

EDIT : No need to promote her, because caps are the same. Just put her to lv20, and she'll rock with that awesome defense stat.

Even if the end-game is going to be a pushover. I mean, Fomortiis and Lyon are probably going to have randomized classes, and won't be that of a threat if they don't get Demon King.

Edited by Nintales

The DK/Lyon don't randomize their classes, so nope.

if anything I'll make them even more powerful!!!!

Also, keep in mind that Syrene has higher STR/DEF/RES caps than Myrrh does, so she gets even more benefit from the dragon stone.

Edited by Klokinator

The DK/Lyon don't randomize their classes, so nope.

if anything I'll make them even more powerful!!!!

Then you might consider buffing legendary weapons to a Jugdral lv.

Fomortiis will be a pain to fight. (He'll probably get something around 30 speed (+10), and will destroy your puny army of bugs)

Then you might consider buffing legendary weapons to a Jugdral lv.

Fomortiis will be a pain to fight. (He'll probably get something around 30 speed (+10), and will destroy your puny army of bugs)

Fomortiis bases actually sucks. It's the Demon King Class that is truly OP.

Lyon however...

Welcome back to another exciting episode of THE BOULDER AND CAPTAIN PHANTOM!

First up...

wvDhidJ.png3YDVbM0.pngrF9oZe7.png
And why not use an Elysian Whip? Not like I have anyone else to use the goddamn thing on. You may be wondering why he gets +7 MAG and +6 SPD. BECAUSE HE'S THE BOULDER, DUH!

ghprwTC.png
CAPTAIN PHANTOM! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Eh he'll get stronk again, even if THE BOULDER has to solo the entirety of the ruins all by himself.

[spoiler=Chapter 10 get!]
Welcome back! On this chapter we get two new units!

dZNEJCI.pngokqxxeB.png
Queen Turtlebop, with her speed that makes even THE BOULDER before his promotion cringe! (Her stats otherwise look pretty nice, plus I FINALLY HAVE A FLIER SWEET JESUS, MARTHA!

xxfS9YX.pngOqAFMzk.png
Aaaaaand my first bow user! ...Wow... that took long enough.
Anyway, he comes with an Elysian whip and since I have no use for those currently (I might in the future maybe???) I change it to something else.

FNsGZgN.png
Better.

cXWOkLU.pngzyrawz0.png
This guy has a skill booster, and that item is going STRAIGHT to my sexy bael!

bQF5Q9v.pngU1qMJKg.png
wR6TpSt.pngLl4ANoE.png
These two have great items! Unfortunately, I did not get them, as the chapter is apparently a Survival chapter and I did not realize this until I saw the glowing Last Turn bit. I am truly a fool.

5vNJESo.png0koRJRQ.png
Neat.

DdED5MI.pngOqY0l87.png
I did manage to get this item though, so yay.

W8mNHdW.png
L'Almighty Goddess and her 19~ DEF means the wimpy but fast fighters stand no chance. Weapon triangle be damned!

a4ruDCG.png
THE BOULDER is equally impenetrable!

DH5tH2m.pngFNlzC8F.png
Gotta love how Mercs are waaaaay faster and tougher than Myrms. Enemy myrms are basically cannon fodder at this point in the game.

aZZiSAK.png
If you were a bullet, I'd shoot you at THE BENCH.

OZAQnbh.png
Neat. Also, I moved him to the top left for... reasons. (Ie: No fliers, so he can now be recruited)

mI2VRHX.png
You could stand to be a little..... better.

tUE87C5.pngBcRJg7u.png
I have no idea how Lute survives, but she does, albeit with 1 HP.

dJqLsET.png
All keikaku to the accordion.

c4NP7az.png
God Vanessa, I even autoleveled you to 10. Can't you be better?

QEN3yUu.pngHGKvRa8.png
Lute can't double anything for shit, but goddamn if she doesn't hit like a firetruck.

N8SYrzG.png
Last level of the chapter.

Af5ecLD.png
Hey L'Almighty Goddess, I got a present for you.

Uaa0Tjs.png82kTkVl.pngEszlxQt.png
KH2UPyE.pngjWzVMl2.png
After the chapter was over I did a quick run through the ruins with a Fado solo and Tethys once at level 3, so she could get this chest. Now Fado has S-Light and crits even more often. Guess who will be fighting the Demon King?

[spoiler=Growths again]

dZNEJCI.pngokqxxeB.png
Growths:
HP: 30%
STR: 50%
SKL: 35%
SPD: 15%
LUK: 45%
DEF: 35%
RES: 50%
Komments: Not bad. Pretty balanced! That SPD ain't reaching double digits, but at least I have a flying magic user now! Too bad about that 5 movement though :/
Klok Rates: 6-7/10.

xxfS9YX.pngOqAFMzk.png

Growths:
HP: 40%
STR: 55%
SKL: 55%
SPD: 75%
LUK: 30%
DEF: 0%
RES: 55%
Komments: Wow, super epic archer! No DEF, yeah, and HP could be better, but in all honesty, he's pretty dang OK! Unfortunately... he's an archer. And this isn't FE8CM. So he'll still end up sucking.
Klok Rates: 6/10.

Edited by Klokinator

Prior to THE BOULDER'S T3, I'm pretty sure CAPTAIN PHANTOM could have solo'd that ship.

Now he's weakened, and might need a tiny bit of help.

CAPTAIN PHANTOM will have to do the ultimate sacrifice : Dying over and over again for his friends.

The fellow will have to absorb lots and lots of Bolting/Shadowshot later on.

Yeah, and Ross/Ewan managed to stay their same class. I guess it's to be expected :(

Also, Orson stayed his same character slot too!

Pretty sure that, on randomized recruitment, Ross, Ewan and Amelia always stay the same class. Orson is also always the same.

Pretty sure that, on randomized recruitment, Ross, Ewan and Amelia always stay the same class. Orson is also always the same.

My Ewan is GRK though.

Only Ross was Journeyman.

Have yet to see Amelia.

My Ewan is GRK though.

Only Ross was Journeyman.

Have yet to see Amelia.

Yeah, I saw that right after I posted this.

I had a hilarious idea for a hack.

All PC's are summoners. They summon the same axe unit as each other. Each PC, like Ross, Eirika, etc summons a different stat leveled phantom.

For example, maybe Eirika summons a phantom with high STR/SPD/SKL/LUK stats. Maybe Ross summons a phantom with high HP, STR, SKL, and SPD. Maybe Gilliam summons one with high HP/STR/SKL/DEF. Maybe Ewan's is high in RES. Etc.

The summoners themselves however only have a 0 in all stats and 1 HP, and cannot gain any stats via leveling. They can only rely on their summons for damage. They can only gain 25 EXP per summon (But ideally their EXP gain would be linked to their summon).

As another possibility, the summons would be nmed according to their offensive capabilities. Eirika's would be "Assault". Ross's would be "Hero". Gilliam's would be "Tank". So on and so forth.

Eh? Thoughts?

All PC's are summoners. They summon the same axe unit as each other. Each PC, like Ross, Eirika, etc summons a different stat leveled phantom.

For example, maybe Eirika summons a phantom with high STR/SPD/SKL/LUK stats. Maybe Ross summons a phantom with high HP, STR, SKL, and SPD. Maybe Gilliam summons one with high HP/STR/SKL/DEF. Maybe Ewan's is high in RES. Etc.

The summoners themselves however only have a 0 in all stats and 1 HP, and cannot gain any stats via leveling. They can only rely on their summons for damage. They can only gain 25 EXP per summon (But ideally their EXP gain would be linked to their summon).

As another possibility, the summons would be nmed according to their offensive capabilities. Eirika's would be "Assault". Ross's would be "Hero". Gilliam's would be "Tank". So on and so forth.

Eh? Thoughts?

That sounds like a pretty great idea. I'd definitley play that.

Eh? Thoughts?

I've thought of that before as well, but never managed to put it in practice because I can't hack for shit.

Also, for shits and giggles, make the summons cyclops.

Edited by nemid

Would be funny, but wouldn't have a large cast. Or maybe you could make them summon something different. For example, Ewan will summon a Bigl.

I have an idea of a sequel to FE8 with playable monsters...

But if I didn't suck at hacking, that would be doable. I even have the ideas for the chapters and even maybe the map design. TT

Unless someone at FEU helps me create a new summoning system, we're locked to a single class. Hell, I can't even edit weapon types, or I'd just have the player summon a Wight with a random weapon type.