[Team If] Fire Emblem If Fanslation (All chapters and paralogues done)

Cellenseres

...wait. Someone just told me who that guy is.

He's the guy on reddit...

Hell, he kept posting in every place he could to shit on the localization.

No wonder he "cares so much" and kept badgering for a release date.

Edited by shadowofchaos

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well shoot! I guess I really do need to learn Japanese, coding, and web management to start a community dedicated to translating Japanese titles. I should have figured that out before settling on my current discipline...

Well shoot! I guess I really do need to learn Japanese, coding, and web management to start a community dedicated to translating Japanese titles. I should have figured that out before settling on my current discipline...

The actual setup is much simpler than that. A new team will be formed and will take members in the following days/weeks.

Well, thanks for what you did translate so far.

If you really don't care, why not just release what you have made? I'm sure it would take all of a couple minutes to upload the files, probably less time than it takes to type out some of these responses.

Because we don't want to, it's simple as that. I don't like sugarcoating and that's the truth.

Also, a lot of team members are pissed.

Edited by mikuru

The actual setup is much simpler than that. A new team will be formed and will take members in the following days/weeks.

Because we don't want to, it's simple as that. I don't like sugarcoating and that's the truth.

Also, a lot of team members are pissed.

Thanks for the honesty at least.

Sorry if a few unpleasant people ruined things for you. As far as I can tell it's the same few troublemakers stirring up a fuss across multiple websites. You guys did a lot and if there are other IRL things occupying you or you just got burned out, that happens. Hopefully someone else will take up the project (or at least do the heavily changed supports) and if not, I'm thankful for what we did get. I'm sure there's a lot of people who really appreciated your work but get drowned out by some of the negativity. Cheers.

...wait. Someone just told me who that guy is.

He's the guy on reddit...

Hell, he kept posting in every place he could to shit on the localization.

No wonder he "cares so much" and kept badgering for a release date.

I don't think you want me to start again, do you?

A shame, I really hold great respect for all the time and effort that was put into the fan translation. Many people saw it as useless, unnecessary, and like a waste of time considering the localization, etc.

But as a fellow translator and someone who translates for fun and for the sake of the fandom, I thank you all for your effort. It is nice to hear there has been a development with people picking up the pieces and moving forward. You did not have to do what you did, and indeed, mentioned that it was not for the fans, and that they simply benefited for it. Still, that is worth praising!

It is rather saddening to see some of the responses made to fans/followers of the project, though. But I understand how one can be upset considering some of the more negative people out there who were not-so-supportive.

Best of luck to both the old team and new team.

Edited by Kirokan

I don't know what the reasons for disbanding this project are, but if you're allowing someone to take over from where you left off, I thank you. From what I've played so far, I really enjoy the patch, even though I'm new to CFW myself. I thank you all for such a quality project, and I'm going to miss opening a new tab to check the progress on it. I suppose griping about why you won't release what files you have so far won't help the situation at all, so I won't even do so.

What I /WILL/ do however is give a sincere shoutout to Immahnoob and other pricks that ruined this shit for me, possibly #torrentialdownpour. If it continues, I'm not going to be angry, but while this is on a hiatus you all have my personal blame for this. Thanks for ruining one of my favorite translation projects.

Edited by eternalant

I will admit, (since my comments previous reflect the team and not of me), we do feel sorry for those who were and are positive and supported us to the end.

The death of this project was already coming, but the recent arguments, notably between Immahnoob and members of this team, was a match lighter in our decision to cease working on this project. A large number of us have occupations, or simply would like to work on something else. (I personally am more interested in the university admission system at the moment).

By all means, we are not guilt-free. It's true that we stated intentions to finish the game a long time ago, and we weren't able to finish that. That is a justifiable argument against us. However, we only intended to do this project up to menus, and it being free work from us to begin with, we see it completely justifiable that we should choose to cease the project.

To clear up some speculations, here it is:

- We were not C&D'd by Nintendo, nor were we contacted by Nintendo reps or lawyers.

- My style of not sugarcoating my words makes me sound like an asshole to most, and that's true. When I say "We don't care," it's because we really don't care.

- The original decision was to not release files from what progress we made. Thanks to some nice people, we have instead decided to give that content to people who will be continuing the project.

We are a group that originally formed this as a small project. We never intended this to get where it is today (we don't have reliable methods of tracking just how far this project has gone), and we were and still admittedly are unprepared to deal with really any relatively large popularity.

I will admit, (since my comments previous reflect the team and not of me), we do feel sorry for those who were and are positive and supported us to the end.

The death of this project was already coming, but the recent arguments, notably between Immahnoob and members of this team, was a match lighter in our decision to cease working on this project. A large number of us have occupations, or simply would like to work on something else. (I personally am more interested in the university admission system at the moment).

By all means, we are not guilt-free. It's true that we stated intentions to finish the game a long time ago, and we weren't able to finish that. That is a justifiable argument against us. However, we only intended to do this project up to menus, and it being free work from us to begin with, we see it completely justifiable that we should choose to cease the project.

To clear up some speculations, here it is:

- We were not C&D'd by Nintendo, nor were we contacted by Nintendo reps or lawyers.

- My style of not sugarcoating my words makes me sound like an asshole to most, and that's true. When I say "We don't care," it's because we really don't care.

- The original decision was to not release files from what progress we made. Thanks to some nice people, we have instead decided to give that content to people who will be continuing the project.

We are a group that originally formed this as a small project. We never intended this to get where it is today (we don't have reliable methods of tracking just how far this project has gone), and we were and still admittedly are unprepared to deal with really any relatively large popularity.

Now that the gloves are off and all. I just want to ask you.

Why does it matter how popular you guys are or not? This has yet to get an answer. So what if the project got popular? Nothing should have changed for your work, not in terms of quality, not in terms of time allocated to you (basically, you could have released this 5 years later for all I cared, I would have accepted it anyway, you have every right), not in terms of anything.

This is the only thing none of you could answer properly. How did popularity keep you back? Shouldn't it be the contrary? Shouldn't you be happy that you have supportive fans and people that love your work?

The only reason there was backlash now is because you guys acted condescendingly when it wasn't necessary. I "got into a fight" with your translator because he misinterpreted my post (most likely) and started lecturing me for no reason. If it has to do with the Reddit post, I told your editor (and this goes for all of you), to stop insulting himself for whatever work he did. The fans think it's better, I don't see why exactly it's a problem that the fan translation has been "put on a pedestal".

Why does it matter how popular you guys are or not? This has yet to get an answer. So what if the project got popular? Nothing should have changed for your work, not in terms of quality, not in terms of time allocated to you (basically, you could have released this 5 years later for all I cared, I would have accepted it anyway, you have every right), not in terms of anything.

This is the only thing none of you could answer properly. How did popularity keep you back? Shouldn't it be the contrary? Shouldn't you be happy that you have supportive fans and people that love your work?

The only reason there was backlash now is because you guys acted condescendingly when it wasn't necessary. I "got into a fight" with your translator because he misinterpreted my post (most likely) and started lecturing me for no reason. If it has to do with the Reddit post, I told your editor (and this goes for all of you), to stop insulting himself for whatever work he did. The fans think it's better, I don't see why exactly it's a problem that the fan translation has been "put on a pedestal".

I'm not gonna lie. I'm not a part of this translation team and you're pissing /ME/ off. That's saying something. Go bother someone on 4chan.

Just ignore immahnoob. There's no reason to fight with him anymore.

In a change of heart, we WILL be releasing our final patch tonight. The only exception to that is those containing bugs that can crash your game.

The new team will take over from this point on. As always, if you'd like to join the new team (doesn't matter what your skills are), click on the link below:

https://discord.gg/0oqaIwQPmHZWe4P2

Edited by mikuru

In a change of heart, we WILL be releasing our final patch tonight. The only exception to that is those containing bugs that can crash your saves.

The new team will take over from this point on. As always, if you'd like to join the new team (doesn't matter what your skills are), click on the link below:

https://discord.gg/0oqaIwQPmHZWe4P2

I think I love you guys.

No, no.

I love you guys.

I'm not gonna lie. I'm not a part of this translation team and you're pissing /ME/ off. That's saying something. Go bother someone on 4chan.

You can be as pissed off as you want, I asked legitimate questions.

In a change of heart, we WILL be releasing our final patch tonight.

You weren't fighting me anyway, I was asking some questions.

Anyway, that's good.

Being popular actually matters because that means that the expectations that the fans had for the team had been HEAVILY magnified. This was VERY apparent with people asking for the next update/support release (including you).

Edited by thedude28

I did not see their older posts, but... the few questions immahnoob asked are legitimate questions. It would be rather uncivil to completely discard them...

It is a little curious as to why one may end a project after it is popular. Of course, I would personally say that with popularity comes the downsides too which can be demotivating to the whole process, and make the passionate project become more of an "obligation," and no longer just something for "you." It is why they say not to work for something you like unless you are ready to face that. xD I believe they are just curious as to why end it entirely rather than slowing down/ending it and such. : )

I cannot speak for the team, as I was only an assisting translator in the earlier days with the text dump, but I think it may have to do with the downsides outweighing the upsides to the whole process.

I do not think it too nice to ignore them entirely for that reason, but again, I do not really know the context for the entire "argument" in the first place. Apologies in advance for that, simply stating it as I see. xD

Being popular actually matters because that means that the expectations that the fans had for the team had been HEAVILY magnified. This was VERY apparent with people asking for the next update/support release (including you).

Indeed, as I mentioned above, it falls into that "obligation" section where you can no longer work at your own pace and such. It is quite the pressure, and one they are not exactly personally expected to live up to (though they may/will be by others).

EDIT: Ah, I see below that giving assumptions isn't what you're looking for. xD So guess it's fine to ignore this. : )

Edited by Kirokan

That's your assumption and supposedly the team's, not the truth. I've seen the typos and mistakes and I would have still played their fan translation regardless, that's because I have no issue understanding broken English.

That does not go for every fan, but every other fan would have waited whatever time was necessary for the team to finish their translation. E.g. .Hack is still being translated and the translation started in 2011, no significant group made a fuss.

Seriously, this can't be verified at all, that's how THEY FELT, not WHAT HAPPENED.

put the gloves back on, you're done here unless you chill out dude

Don't see the issue with my comment. I didn't break any rules by saying that. Or are you saying I can't criticize the work of the translators? Or their reasons for dropping their work? How backwards...

Edited by Immahnoob

Don't see the issue with my comment. I didn't break any rules by saying that. Or are you saying I can't criticize the work of the translators? Or their reasons for dropping their work? How backwards...

i'm saying ask whatever you want, but cut the confrontational crap like literally this shit i quoted or stop talking.

i'm not going to ask again.

EDIT: yes i do see the irony in me making this request confrontationally.

Edited by Integrity

To be fair, being confrontational is part of the job for a moderator. You can tell people to follow the rules, but a lot of times they won't listen until they're eventually threatened with punishment.

Anyhow, I'm just here to back up Integrity. Please keep the conversation civil, or there will be consequences.

oh no, i'm confrontational every day! it's just not often that i get to confrontationally demand somebody stop being so confrontational. it was delicious.

I did not see their older posts, but... the few questions immahnoob asked are legitimate questions. It would be rather uncivil to completely discard them...

I have a personal problem with them, and didn't realize it until someone pointed it out to me.

Namely, using the team's work as a point to launch attacks against the localization.

And I know quoting their crap from outside the forum is outside the scope of the mods, so I'll just drop trying to get them to accept that the team doesn't share any of their extreme anti-localization views.

Each person of the team contributed for their own reasons, none of which included borderline hatred of the English script.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I have a personal problem with them, and didn't realize it until someone pointed it out to me.

Namely, using the team's work as a point to launch attacks against the localization.

And I know quoting their crap from outside the forum is outside the scope of the mods, so I'll just drop trying to get them to accept that the team doesn't share any of their extreme anti-localization views.

Each person of the team contributed for their own reasons, none of which included borderline hatred of the English script.

There's nothing extreme about wanting accuracy in your localization.

I'm also not entirely sure what you mean by "using the team's work to attack the localization", or are you saying that your translation was off-limits when making comparisons...? You didn't need to align in any way with "my group" to be fair, so I don't see why you're talking as if that matters in this discussion.

Edited by Immahnoob