Tutorial Request Thread

ghast

I read in some thread that someone would wish something else was elaborated on more in tutorials. And it got me thinking if we just need more updated/new tutorials in general.

post here if there are any tutorials you want. Hopefully some vets can make some.

Wow Ghast, thanks for making this!

I'd personally love a map changes tutorial. I'd also like to know if map changes are possible in .MAR files. I just don't understand how to make them.

Also first!

Edited by Blue Druid

A general common questions topic would be nice. I'm seeing a lot of people wondering how to insert animations and the like. While the tutorials are probably somewhere, they need to be blatantly obvious to avoid repeated question threads.

Wow Ghast, thanks for making this!

I'd personally love a map changes tutorial. I'd also like to know if map changes are possible in .MAR files. I just don't understand how to make them.

Also first!

agro is right, there are a few tutorials on this already. Arch's covers Mappy changes but from what I remember it was kinda hard to follow.

Also yeti and MarkyJoe have tiled tutorials. and from what I remember those are both pretty informative.

agro is right, there are a few tutorials on this already. Arch's covers Mappy changes but from what I remember it was kinda hard to follow.

Also yeti and MarkyJoe have tiled tutorials. and from what I remember those are both pretty informative.

Oh... Well, I sort of overlooked them because they were pretty old. I've never come across BwdYeti's tutorial though.

If we need a new tutorial for doing tile changes for .MAR files, I'd be willing to making said tutorial.
Hell, I like making tutorials. So, what else do folks have in mind?

• 2 weeks later...

If it isn't too much trouble, I'd like it if someone made a short tutorial about how to load maps with Event Assembler (use the LOMA command). Tutorials explain MAR inserting, but they don't explain how to actually point to the map once its inserted.

LOMA is somewhat of a misnomer in that it doesn't load a map; it loads a chapter slot, which includes map, palette, music, events, etc; so LOMA 0x01 would load chapter 1's map/chapter slot.

For this reason, if you have gameplay on the map that you're loading to (and not just a cutscene), you usually want to be sure that the map you're LOMAing has the same events ("chapter events" in Nightmare) as the chapter you're assembling your events to, because otherwise it uses a weird Frankensteinian mixture of the events in your original chapter slot and the chapter slot that you loaded.

• 1 month later...

I'd love an in-depth tutorial for debugging. I know it's useful for finding ASM routines, graphics pointers, all sorts of useful stuff, but I have no idea what I'm looking at when I try it.

I was thinking of making one. I might make one if no one else does.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to request a tutorial on creating and inserting background for Statsheets and Menus on the FE-8-

as there are many tutorials about portraits, animations and item icons

and yet even the info about the statsheet offsets for graphics/palet/TSA are nowhere to be found...

What size should it be?

Is there a hackbox like there is for portraits?

Is the FE8 statsheet screen 1 picture or 2 pictures?

FE8 has a glowing spot at the top of the menu. Is it part of the graphics like a .gif ?

Is MS-Paint enough for job?

The statsheet creation tutorials on the net are not about the in-game graphics...

Edited by BrightVega

The statsheet graphics are at $A03368, it uses 4 palettes beginning at $A06460, and TSA at $A05F10. If you use the same 16 colours for all 4 palettes you won't have to worry about TSA. The glowing thing is a separate graphic at $A064E0 with palette at $A0731C and TSA at $A071FC.

Use GBAGE to find graphics, then search the rom for a pointer to the graphic (i.e. for the statsheet at $A03368 search for 68 33 A0 08) and the palette and TSA pointers should be nearby.

The statsheet graphics are at $A03368, it uses 4 palettes beginning at $A06460, and TSA at $A05F10. If you use the same 16 colours for all 4 palettes you won't have to worry about TSA. The glowing thing is a separate graphic at $A064E0 with palette at $A0731C and TSA at $A071FC.

Use GBAGE to find graphics, then search the rom for a pointer to the graphic (i.e. for the statsheet at $A03368 search for 68 33 A0 08) and the palette and TSA pointers should be nearby.

Sorry for the late late reply and thanks for the offsets.

So I found the background image with GBAGE, skipped 2 bytes as the Ultimate tutorial says and got the whole image flipped upside down.

So, i saved it as PNG, saved the pallets (https://gyazo.com/b912bab7c24c41d71bfef84ae9687028)

and on MS-paint i reversed it to edit it and...it still looks weird:

https://gyazo.com/5e3f9f4516db88cd867fc938706d095a

Do I edit that? Does the image have to look like it's split in pieces?

Edit: Ignore this post.

Apparently I should treat the process as adding a CG, not as editing weapon icons lol.

Edited by BrightVega

I can't understand where the new palette offset starts or ends >_> as I don't see/can't figure a pattern.

I understood that i have to replace all 4 palette pointers with the new custom one, but I can't find their initial offsets after $A06460 *facepalm*

Could you please post the other 3 too? Or how to find/spot them?

Each palette entry is 2 bytes. Each palette is 16 entries (0x10) long. So each palette is 32 bytes (0x20) long, and they come one after another. The offsets are $A06460, 6480, 64A0, 64C0. However you only want to repoint the first one, because it's assumed that the others are immediately after it.

Another problem you're probably going to run into is that the TSA is compressed, so it's not quite the same as a CG. To be honest, I don't know how to deal with compressed TSA, so what I suggest is to reduce your entire image to 16 colours or less, and replace all 4 palettes with the same 16 colours. This way you don't have to worry about TSA at all, like this extremely basic example:

qbkzniz.png

Having said that, since this is the tutorial request thread I'd like to request a tutorial for compressed TSA editing please. When I try using Nintenlord's compressor on the TSA generated by the CG Maker the compressed file ends up larger than the source file.

A general FAQ, along with a compiled tutorials list thread might be cool.(or do we have one of those already?)

Edit: we do... Under resources... Not quite intuitive... I dunno... Maybe have the tutorials reposted in this section as well? Or within the Question section FAQ... Just link to that thread?

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to dig up info, with the ultimate goal of making an FE9 hack. And i mean the whole shebang. Maps, characters, story, a class insert or two. And largely, i've been able to find little, either here or on the internet in general. I've seen a couple youtube videos showing hacks of the game, but mostly stat changing, recruiting enemies, and a little weapon augmentation. Beyond that nothing, and no indication of how it was done. Is there anyone here who has some knowledge of how to tinker around in the PoR rom?

The only person I know who has any knowledge in that area is the man himself, VincentASM. Even so I have a feeling most of the stuff he knows how to do is just datamining and not necessarily complex things like editing graphics, events, etc.

I'd be very excited to see a PoR hack, though. That engine is just sitting there, waiting for the right person to come along and give it a whirr @_@

• 4 weeks later...

If we need a new tutorial for doing tile changes for .MAR files, I'd be willing to making said tutorial.

Hell, I like making tutorials. So, what else do folks have in mind?

A tutorial for how to make a circle PLS