Tutorial Request Thread

ghast

Ok so

What I want to do is edit some text in FE3. Basically I plan to redo the script, for me. How would I go about doing that? Every tutorial ever ok only most of the tutorials cover just GBA stuff.

Even if there aren't any convenient text editors, and I have to do what this guy did (hex editing nonsense), I just wanna know how.

(That small font looks really nice too...)

• 1 month later...

Looking for a tutorial on how I could hack a save, mainly aiming to recreate a unit I let die and overwrited my save accidently with him dead. My 3ds is fully hacked with HomeBrew, MenuHax, RxTools. Anyone knows how I can do that?

Edit: I found a solution, no help needed :)

Edited by VeryWildRengarrrr

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think it exists yet, but I merely skimmed through the original post.

However, I'm hoping to possibly find a tutorial on getting the Content Restoration Patch to work?

I wish to experience all the characters, especially my Elfie, as they were meant to be portrayed.

I'm a normie tho and have absolutely no clue what I'm doing. Only modded my Wii once with Homebrew so I could play Brawl Minus

• 3 months later...

How can I create a custom class through nightmare then adding a custom animation for it afterwards?

I'm new to the page but I kinda know a bit. only a bit. I'm going loops and loops while testing my rom. XD

Also, are there more guides to hex editing? I need to improve my Rom hacking

Edited by cj2men

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if we could get a tutorial on the topic of editing the standing and moving map sprites, I'm fairly new and I am trying to make my first hack, I changed eliwood's hair colour in the battle palette but it's still red when he's not in combat. There might already be some sort of tutorial on this out there but I googled and searched multiple keywords/phrases on this site and didn't find anything.

On the Map or when he's Talking

Former, you'll want to edit his Map Sprites, latter you'll want to edit his Mugshot

there are tutorials on both... somewhere. don't know where a good pair are off the top of my head though

I already edited the mugshot so I just needed a tutorial on the map sprite pls and thx

I'd love an in-depth tutorial for debugging. I know it's useful for finding ASM routines, graphics pointers, all sorts of useful stuff, but I have no idea what I'm looking at when I try it.

I'll double down on this and say that I would also very much like to see a debugging tutorial. Specifically, what the (relevant) functions of a debugger actually do and how to trace a routine or find graphics from known information. I'd be really psyched to see something like that; I feel that debugging would be a great skill for more people in the community to have and haven't really seen it covered anywhere in the past.

the issue with writing an actual debugger/traceback tutorial is that everyone i know seems to have different styles and methodology (from each other and from me) and a lot of it just boils down to "do more of it and start using your gut"

knowing the functions of your debugger, on the other hand, is a useful thing that i would be glad to get to (eventually; there are people less outdated than i who could likely do just as well)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm Having trouble finding a map sprite insertion tutorial for FE8. The ones I do find are all for FE7. All I'm trying to do is replace the trainee soldier/fighter sprites with Roy/Eliwood respectively. I have their sprites ripped from their respective games, but I have no clue where to go from here. I went to the trainee fighter's pointers in Nightmare, and replaced the standing sprite with Roy's in GBAGE, but nothing has changed. I've also replaced the trainee soldier's standing sprite with Eliwood's, but again, no dice. If anybody could point me to a tutorial that could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry for the necro-post. I didn't think to check the date of the last post until after I had replied. If I need to, I'll delete this.

Edited by Super-Dude9k
Apologizing for necro-ing

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/5/2017 at 6:37 PM, Super-Dude9k said:

EDIT: Sorry for the necro-post. I didn't think to check the date of the last post until after I had replied. If I need to, I'll delete this.

1. It's pinned, so no need for apologies.

2. Referring to your actual problem, the insertion method for FE8 is the same as in FE7. Are you inserting OVER the fighter and soldier animations? Because if so, it may be an error with saving. If not, did you repoint the data correctly?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 6:53 PM, Attila said:

1. It's pinned, so no need for apologies.

2. Referring to your actual problem, the insertion method for FE8 is the same as in FE7. Are you inserting OVER the fighter and soldier animations? Because if so, it may be an error with saving. If not, did you repoint the data correctly?

Sorry for the late reply, but I've gotten it working properly since then. I now have Roy, Eliwood, and Lyn in Sacred Stones, just to see if I could. IIRC, it was a repointing error, and I actually had to completely restart everything due to one reason or another.

• 2 months later...

Any tutorials for hacking FE4 would be greatly appreciated. I have been basically trial and erroring it along with the few resources there are. There are quite a few things I'm unsure on and there's probably alot of things where there is a much easier way that I'm unaware of. Also links to any existing tutorials would be gladly appreciated.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I've been wanting to do modding for a while now so I have went and downloaded all the relevant materials.

I have recently saw Ghast and his great starting tutorial with regards to NUPS and Nightmare 1 and I would like to give Eventiel a try as well. I noticed many of the people in the community uses windows, but I think that should fine for now as long as there's a tutorial for mac users somewhere in the interwebs.

For example, with regards to patching, I wish I could use Arch's tutorial, but the pictures are no longer there and I don't know how similar or different MultiPatch is with regards to other programs like NUPS.

Second, with regards to Nightmare, I'm more or less limited to using Nightmare 2, since well...MacOS (I don't want to use a partition just for modding Fire Emblem games). However, when I tried to use the program myself nothing seems to be happen? It's likely I'm using it incorrectly or something of the like, but without some guidelines, I don't think I could proceed at the moment. Any help would be appreciated.

Spoiler

Nightmare_2_opening_file.thumb.png.6257f5d8464e00794da5a66661718955.png

Spoiler

Nightmare_2_interface.thumb.png.958c4f25afc9cd3945340a1769f9168d.png

Things like sprites (for which I found excellent tutorials on splicing) or animations (still looking for a tutorial) could come later.

Spoiler

Making_sprites.png

Edited by NeoVerdin
Adding spoilers

• 2 months later...

So, I am  making a hack for fe8 and I have a question.

I want to make a character that changes his portrait and texts after obtaining A support with an other character (he finally finds his purpose in life). 

How do I do that?

(I am using FeBuilder GBA)

Edited by Hare'da-irijon

• 3 weeks later...

ok, ive got a question that i can't for god's sake find the answer to.

i am trying to make a hack of fe8 and a major plot point would be the lords' personal weapons "awakening"

and so i looked through the interwebs in search of a way to delete a weapon and replace the said weapon with an event, so far with zero success.
any help would be appreciated.

• 4 months later...

So, I was making some events and encountered a serius problem.

When the event ends it:

a) cuts straight to enemy phase (wierd);

b) when enemy unit tries to attack me, it's an instant game over.

It's nont a problem with game over script, I already checked that. Does anybody had this problem earlier and know an anwer?

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone, 

I'm trying to make a Fire Emblem game that runs on Sacred Stones! I've been working on characters and maps on and off for roughly 2 years! The only thing I am in dire need of is someone who is willing and able to transfer these ideas of mine into coding so that I can publish a full fledged Fire Emblem fan game! Here are some examples of my work so far. What do y'all think?

Alex.png

Alice.png

Danny.png

Michelle.png

New Chase.png

New Troy.png

5B.png

26x.png

B.png

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm looking for info on how to hex-edit My Castle in Fates. There is plenty of info on editing character data, but all I want to do is unlock all the resources without using the messy cheat code. FEFTwiddler can't do this.

I have 0 experience with hex editing.

• 3 years later...

Can anybody guide me about making new skills for the Skill Sys in FEB and changing existing ones? Only modification I have done ever is lowet the debuff amount fron Seal skills from 6 to 4 and rename another skill that had the same name to Mighty Blow.

Thanks in advance.