Looking for "Classic" RPGs

luigi bros

I now find myself with plenty of free time and not a lot to do with it. A favorite genre of mine in gaming is RPGs specifically of the old Final Fantasy variety. That being said I've played the first six to the death by now and want something new.

I'm asking for recommendations on games that are in that "retro" style. Either because they are in fact old RPGs or made to emulate them. Like Bravely Default and Ni no Kuni which I both loved because they were designed to bring that old time RPG feel if you know what I mean.

Are there any games like that?

Ones I've heard of and would like some opinions on:

Child of Light (PS4/Vita)

Nostalgia (DS)

Edited by luigi bros

Thanks guys.

I've played every main series FF game and Chrono Trigger and Cross. Also Super Mario RPG and the Paper Mario games.

Breath of Fire I'll look into though.

How does Earthbound hold up by today's standards? Been meaning to give it a try for a while. I also know in Japan its Mother 2 so will I need to first play a translated Mother first in order to enjoy it properly?

You like RPGs? PLAY EARTHBOUND. IT IS AMAZING. You could buy EBB off the Eshop, but just buy EB. You're doing yourself a disservice by not playing it. It's one of the best games I've ever played. You'll be laughing. A lot.

Edited by Darrman

There's another DS RPG called Avalon Code. It features a Book of Prophecy that let's you change the "code" of things. For example, if you have a Rusty sword and there's a Stone monster, you can switch the codes so you have a Stone sword against a Rusty monster. I've only played a demo of it though.

The Etrian Odyssey series is pretty great. It's more Wizardry then Final Fantasy, but it's still a great RPG if you feel in the mood for something classic. The first game has an enhanced remake (Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl) that adds more plot and a set party, with the second game having a similar release coming up. There is also Persona Q, which runs on the same engine but has Persona 3 and 4 characters

Atlus has another game coming out later this year, Legend of Legacy. It has a combat system inspired by SaGa and Chrono Trigger's scenario writer, as well as a brutal difficulty curve.

I'm not sure if it's classic, but you should check out Radiant Historia on the DS.

It's like a combination of Final Fantasy X and Battle Network, which is still classic enough for me.

I'd also recommend (if it wasn't obvious, I'm seconding Radiant Historia) are uh...Golden Sun (and its sequel, The Lost Age).

Edited by Refa

Looking for retro/classic RPGs? Then look no further than Dragon Quest. That series is as classic as it can get.

Also most definitely look into the original Phantasy Star games. Some (okay, three out of four) of them can get really frustrating, but totally worth it.

The Lunar series is a pretty awesome old JRPG, series and some of of my favourite games. Although the originals are on the Sega CD, the remakes for the PS1 are probably the best incarnation of the series since they improve on a lot of the mistakes of the original versions and added better music and some 2D animated cutscenes. There are 2 games: Lunar: Silver Star Story and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue. The PS versions say COMPLETE at the end of the title for whatever reason. They're kind of expensive to buy as discs these days, but they emulate well. Avoid the shitty DS game like the plague. There's also a GBA remake of SSS that's okay but not as good at the PS one. I like EB better then SSS, and even though it's a sequel, it's a sequel like 1000 years later so no big shakes whichever order you play them in or even if you play both. They're not particularly difficult games, but they're a lot of fun, with a good story and really great characterization.

Edited by Kirie

I'm not sure if it's classic, but you should check out Radiant Historia on the DS.

Thirded.

I'd also recommend (if it wasn't obvious, I'm seconding Radiant Historia) are uh...Golden Sun (and its sequel, The Lost Age).

Seconded

The Etrian Odyssey series is pretty great. It's more Wizardry then Final Fantasy, but it's still a great RPG if you feel in the mood for something classic. The first game has an enhanced remake (Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl) that adds more plot and a set party, with the second game having a similar release coming up. There is also Persona Q, which runs on the same engine but has Persona 3 and 4 characters

Atlus has another game coming out later this year, Legend of Legacy. It has a combat system inspired by SaGa and Chrono Trigger's scenario writer, as well as a brutal difficulty curve.

Seconding Etrian Odyssey.

Also- Legend of Legacy is looking pretty interesting. So, seconded there also.

I'm gonna agree on Etrian Odyssey

it has that old school retro RPG dungeon crawling feel to it that i adore

the soundtrack also enhances that retro feel by having the same sound as an old genesis game, i know there's a better term to it, but i cant remember it

Legend of the Dragoon is an interesting RPG, though it's kind of a love it or hate it kind of thing (I'm on the love it side myself)

imo dragoon is kind of...campy?...but I like it.

I also want to second kirie's recc. Of lunar ss and eb. Unlike her I prefer silver star, but both are good.

I'm gonna agree on Etrian Odyssey

it has that old school retro RPG dungeon crawling feel to it that i adore

the soundtrack also enhances that retro feel by having the same sound as an old genesis game, i know there's a better term to it, but i cant remember it

You're thinking of the FM-synth. It was used both in the Megadrive and, more relevantly, in the PC-88/PC-98 home computers. Etrian Odyssey in general is a huge throwback to dungeon crawlers of the PC-88/98 age, and that's why the music is composed in FM-synth as well. It's an even bigger deal because Yuzo Koshiro was specifically brought on for the task, who started his work by composing for PC-88 games.

So yeah, seconding EO. It's the retroest retro!