New Interview with Kozaki.

Pepper

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sucks is that Kozaki isn't a bad artist, and as we've seen from his Twitter sketches, he can give the cast average proportions and normal outfits that still look nice. It's just the armor designer(s?) that chooses to be kinda weird with their designs, and Kozaki ends up being the one blamed for most of the stuff going on.

I think the main reason why he tends to be under fire from people is because there's a lot of criticism towards how some characters are designed, particularly females. If you haven't noticed, in comparison to the male counterparts, some of the female designs are a bit more unnecessarily revealing (For Awakening, ie. Wyvern Riders, Archers, etc), which can stir up topics like sexism and the like. But the fact of the matter is, he isn't the one who seems to be in charge of designing armor and it's unfortunate that he gets blamed for design aspects that he simply has no control over.

I think he's a fantastic artist and I wish the armor designers would be a lot more practical when it comes to making armor for the characters.

Edited by carefreejules

Kozaki's a pretty good artist, the problem is that people ignore how much control the art director has over this kind of thing (as I did at some point admitedly) and just blame everything on him.

For that matter Toshiyuki Kusakihara is a terrible art director when it comes to female characters nine times out of ten which is easy to see in Awakening and Fates, seriously it's really sad that Kozaki gets wasted with this guy being in charge.

Edited by Jariu

Poor guy. I find his enthusiasm about FE really endearing, actually, and I hope there's a better art director next time for him to work for, because his own art is actually really nice.

I'm definitely looking forward to more FE sketches from him on his twitter.

I hope there'll be an english translation of that interview soon, I can't read french rip

Considering what we've seen, I actually want to see what armor designs Kozaki can come up with... they could be very interesting and possibly work better with the characters, or they could end up as absolute train wrecks. Either way, it's probably going to end up better than what we have now. Even the more covering armor designs for females still expose their crotch or breasts, which to me is only really tolerable in game if the camera angles decide to be nice. Or if I have battle animations turned off.

The art director for the next game better change. Good artists shouldn't be hindered because of this.

Edited by SageOfAnys

Considering Kozaki is perfectly capable of drawing conventionally attractive women with actually reasonable proportions, and the fact that in the Awakening AMA he did say that someone else (indicating the art director) drew all the armor and he just designed the characters in them, then the art director is to blame for overly inflated helium balloon boobs and battle panties in classes they really don't belong (seriously? General? That's a new low)

Does them having the bouncy really affect you all?

It's not the boinginess itself that is a problem, we've had that before, the problem is where and how it appears on the designs.

As mentioned before Female Generals wearing thigh highs and having a literal butt hole to show that they wear a thong makes literally no sense, not to mention several female classes having breast plates with literal boob socks, which defeats a good part of the purpose of wearing a breast plate to begin with.

There's also Female Pegasus Warriors, pegasi units having thigh highs is nothing new sure but doesn't deny that riding a flying horse with nothing to protect your legs is a terrible idea, doing so in a regular horse is bad enough already, this was changed in Tellius and in the Archanea remakes they tried to at least imitate this and then in Awakening they got rid of them again, now in Fates for a first time we see male charaters as pegs, and they have pants while females don't for absolutely no real reason besides having the girls show leg not to mention them wearing shoulder pads directly on their skin, which in reality hurts a lot, this kind of thing repeats accross a fair bit of female designs.

Camilla really shouldn't need an explanation.

Edited by Jariu

Why shouldn't people dislike things just because you're not personally bothered by them?

There's a time and place for skimpy. There's designs that work very well with skimpy. Witch's dress slit, for example, I think looks pretty good and is tastefully done, and I'm not too bothered by sorc (but man, why's the panty on the outside of the thigh plates; also the loinclothes from 13 looked cooler with that class, should've kept that aspect) A full metal plated general wearing panties to work is just bad taste.

The point is, a lot of people don't like the way the armor direction is going, and the person responsible is the art director and not kozaki, who was previously under fire from much of the fandom because people assumed he has more design decision power. Just putting the blame where it belongs, now.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Why shouldn't people dislike things just because you're not personally bothered by them?

There's a time and place for skimpy. There's designs that work very well with skimpy. Witch's dress slit, for example, I think looks pretty good and is tastefully done, and I'm not too bothered by sorc (but man, why's the panty on the outside of the thigh plates; also the loinclothes from 13 looked cooler with that class, should've kept that aspect) A full metal plated general wearing panties to work is just bad taste.

The point is, a lot of people don't like the way the armor direction is going, and the person responsible is the art director and not kozaki, who was previously under fire from much of the fandom because people assumed he has more design decision power. Just putting the blame where it belongs, now.

When you mean fans do you mean the Japanese fans cause you need to remember there the ones who Is listens to and the Japanese players they don't seem to care.

The Japanese fans do actually make fun of the battle panties, if pixiv is any indication.

FKamui's outfits come up a lot, especially.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Alright, if the art directors are to blame for the dumbass armor/outfit designs on female characters, then explain the Tellius designs. They're a lot more practical, even Petrine who is obviously meant to be "sexy." Either they must have had a completely different group directing them or Kozaki really is at fault for the revealing and weird female designs in Awakening and Fates. So which is it?

Also, I CAN blame Kozaki for drawing too many females on their tip toes and with their butts and backs turned to us (Olivia, Cherche, Tiki, female Kamui (sort of)), and too many females with their feet pointed inward (Sumia, Nowi, Tharja, Cordelia (sort of)). Normally, the latter doesn't really bother me too much since I occasionally position my feet like that myself, but seeing it that often is just...yeah, no.

I liked Senri Kita's style and poses a lot better. Kozaki isn't a bad artist at all, don't get me wrong (I like the way he draws some people, like Ike). But Senri Kita is just better. I still wish she would come back.

Edited by Anacybele

It might be a completely different person, especially since something something last FE etc

and hell FE11/12 didn't even get a full-cast OA, just a few select characters got art, and the new additions I guess

I mean Kozaki's personal art of the FEfates cast IS pretty good and reasonable. I like that he drew Charlotte pretty toned in the downtime pic.

Edited by Thor Odinson

There are several skimpy outfits on them, a lack of pants, random open thighs (like on female Corrin, which is the only issue I have with her design, actually), Camilla, etc.

Oh yeah, another issue I have with some of Kozaki's female designs: round balloon boobs. Just ew. Big boobs, yeah, those happen in real life sometimes, but boobs as round and balloony as Camilla's and Charlotte's? ...No. Just no.

Edited by Anacybele