New Interview with Kozaki.

Pepper

Japan's society is pinnacle of a escapist society and what you know, FE is a Japanese game. As much as people like to complain about the designs if there a survey asking which girl they like better, Titania (or whoever from your "realistic' and "moralized" FE game)or Camilla, Camilla will destroy Titania. People will always either just like or subconsciously like these kind of character even if they complain a lot.

People forget that IS are Japanese so they really don't share the same values alot of people in this thread seem to not understand that the main fanbase is surprise surprise is in Japan and the people there have very different values then here in NA or wherever else , the Japanese players don't mind the designs in fact alot of them love them so IS will pander to their main player base that being their Japanese one that's how it works with alot of Japan made games like it or not that's how things work.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People forget that IS are Japanese so they really don't share the same values alot of people in this thread seem to not understand that the main fanbase is surprise surprise is in Japan and the people there have very different values then here in NA or wherever else , the Japanese players don't mind the designs in fact alot of them love them so IS will pander to their main player base that being their Japanese one that's how it works with alot of Japan made games like it or not that's how things work.

agreed!

tbh I had a whole stupid rant typed out but figured it's probably best to keep it to myself

Aaanyway,

Personally I'd love it if they went back to GBA or Tellius armour designs (granted I didn't like most Tellius character designs, just armour), maybe with Kozaki drawing them, because his art is among my favourite in the FE series, but that doesn't mean I don't have reservations. I actually love most of the Fates designs...from the waist up. Because those panty windows and thongs are just far too uncomfortable for me, and they're almost relentless. I don't really care if they're catering to the masses of this supposed creepy mass of Japanese otaku who fetishize the designs of fictional women, it still makes me uncomfortable and I think I'm allowed, as is anyone here, to voice my opinions. As someone (I think Thor??) said, this sort of objection is not isolated to outside Japan, and I myself have seen even Japanese men who feel like these designs are just a new level of ridiculous.

I don't really get the practice of replying to every single person who doesn't share your opinion because it makes them uncomfortable and then crying that they're not respecting your opinion. Also one sexualised male design =/= almost every female design lol.

ANYWAY, is there an English translation floating around yet?

Right. Make it for the east. Get bags of money from the west. WE exist and Awakenings sales would never have gotten so high without selling it overseas.

If Sakurai can make a game for all the Smash fans, why can't IS stop being ignorant then?

agreed!

It's the truth alot of them don't care.

tbh I had a whole stupid rant typed out but figured it's probably best to keep it to myself

Aaanyway,

Personally I'd love it if they went back to GBA or Tellius armour designs (granted I didn't like most Tellius character designs, just armour), maybe with Kozaki drawing them, because his art is among my favourite in the FE series, but that doesn't mean I don't have reservations. I actually love most of the Fates designs...from the waist up. Because those panty windows and thongs are just far too uncomfortable for me, and they're almost relentless. I don't really care if they're catering to the masses of this supposed creepy mass of Japanese otaku who fetishize the designs of fictional women, it still makes me uncomfortable and I think I'm allowed, as is anyone here, to voice my opinions. As someone (I think Thor??) said, this sort of objection is not isolated to outside Japan, and I myself have seen even Japanese men who feel like these designs are just a new level of ridiculous.

I don't really get the practice of replying to every single person who doesn't share your opinion because it makes them uncomfortable and then crying that they're not respecting your opinion. Also one sexualised male design =/= almost every female design lol.

ANYWAY, is there an English translation floating around yet?

You can't objectify fictional characters as they are in fact fictional characters and btw don't go assuming that all the Japanese who like the designs are otakus.

You can't objectify fictional characters as they are in fact fictional characters and btw don't go assuming that all the Japanese who like the designs are otakus.

You are completely missing the point. Anyway, that's all I'll say on that.

yeah that's true Edited by SapphireFalconWing

You are completely missing the point. Anyway, that's all I'll say on that.

I'm not cause you guys are making a big deal over how a bunch of fictional characters are dressed in a game cause in the end its a game but please tell me what I'm missing because I'm willing to hear you out.

Right. Make it for the east. Get bags of money from the west. WE exist and Awakenings sales would never have gotten so high without selling it overseas.

If Sakurai can make a game for all the Smash fans, why can't IS stop being ignorant then?

They do pander Western's fans, adding in gay marriage is one. BUT remember they will always prioritized Japan over others as Sakurai does as well with Smash.

Its a game not real life.

I'm tired of seeing balloon boobs, too.

I really, REALLY wish Kozaki would draw a flat-footed female character, and make her look good (as in, not on her tiptoes or wearing heels). He does a lot of things right, but that's a pet peeve of mine. Hell, male Kamui's standing flat on his feet, and he looks wonderful. Why do Aqua/female Kamui need to be on their toes?

Can someone translate the blurb about Lucky Chloe? The concept art looks like something Kozaki would draw, and I love the fact that she's standing flat!

EDIT: And please cut the spam posting out; read the Code of Conduct for more information.

Edited by eclipse

Alright, if the art directors are to blame for the dumbass armor/outfit designs on female characters, then explain the Tellius designs. They're a lot more practical, even Petrine who is obviously meant to be "sexy." Either they must have had a completely different group directing them or Kozaki really is at fault for the revealing and weird female designs in Awakening and Fates. So which is it?

Yeah, those were actually different people. Awakening is the first game were Toshiyuki Kusakihara, the current art director, worked on the Fire Emblem series.

From the Iwata Asks of Awakening, Page 1:

Higuchi: This time, we wanted to make a different Fire Emblem game than ever before, especially through new visuals, so we made a point of bringing in Kusakihara-san, who had never been involved with Fire Emblem before.

And Kuzaki is on record saying that the Art Director made the outfits for Awakening, or at the very least the armors since that was what he was directly asked about. He said something like "he made the armor, i made the characters in the armor" or something to that effect, Even if Kozaki actually did make the class designs, don't forget that IS would still have to give the okay for it. They are responsible either way.

Edited by BrightBow

They do pander Western's fans, adding in gay marriage is one. BUT remember they will always prioritized Japan over others as Sakurai does as well with Smash.

Maybe the marriage part is more strongly desired in the west but gay romance (yaoi/yuri) is also extremely popular in certain circles of the Japanese population (people like Eponine, *cough cough*). I suspect the bisexual characters are more to pander to heterosexual players who are fans of gay romance than actual gay players/gay marriage supporters.

Edited by NekoKnight

I'm not cause you guys are making a big deal over how a bunch of fictional characters are dressed in a game cause in the end its a game but please tell me what I'm missing because I'm willing to hear you out.

I'm going to guess that you are male. That's fine! A lot of people are.

But if so, and this is only guessing, it's not very becoming to assume what makes women uncomfortable when looking at supposed representations of their own gender. Straight males have a tendency to fetishize and sexualise everything that women do. I can't count the amount of times I've groaned or sighed or just made a noise and some grotty boy has made a sexual joke out of it. When women play games, or watch TV, and see these sexualised, fictional forms of themselves that have clearly been made purely for the male gaze, it discourages them. Art imitates life, after all. Dismissing it as "just a game" is dismissing the problems of women everywhere, and that is that we cannot escape from this standard under the male gaze, even in fiction.

There is still the problem of fiction having an impact on real life when it comes to representation. Women want to be able to see that they are being represented and not fetishized, because honestly we get enough of that in our day to day lives. Like I said, most of the designs in FE I'm absolutely fine with, but the fact that some parts make me and a lot of people, men and women included, uncomfortable, can be used to voice an objection, no? I still play the game, I still enjoy it, and I still critique and criticise the points that I find to be lacking.

That's how the world works.

Just because it's a game, does that make its story or character issues justifiable because they're not real? No. People want to be entertained with a good story.

Just because it's a game, does that make its character designs justifiable because they're not real? No. People want the representations of themselves to be good ones so they can carry out into the real world.

As long as these trends in fiction persist, and it's not exclusive to Japanese media, oh no, there is no way we can realistically foresee a world where women are treated the way they want to be.

As for the argument of "this is Japan, it's a different audience" there are plenty of Japanese franchises that feature well-designed female characters, even if there are some with some sexualisation. For God's sake, I just want an FE where most of the women wear pants or at the very least don't have panty cut-outs.

Like I said, I love Kozaki's art, but there is room to debate so don't try to stifle the voices of the people who want to by calling them unreasonable or unfounded. Like YOU said, not everyone sees the world the same, so try to accept their views. As far as I see it, the only one who is being so persistent is you. I really didn't want to get into a debate, but now that I have offered my explanation, I'll bow out.

Edited by nordopolica

Uh, but they're still characters. Characters are people, or, are supposed to be representations of people. Objectification can exist either within the game's own narrative, or meta-objectification can exist from the designers onto those characters.

Characters don't have "rights" per se, so I understand where you are coming from, but this is like trying to argue that one cannot objectify a character within a live action movie. The same basic principle applies.

The question of "why should you be bothered by meta objectification?" has multiple answers, and the most common response (here at least) is that it dilutes the game's internal consistency, works against suspension of disbelief, and as a result can make it harder to take the narrative seriously. However, the I think that frankly the largest reason there is backlash is fundamentally rooted in the previous design principles of the series and people being attached to them. In a hypothetical universe where FE Fates or Awakening are the first of their kind, most of the people prone to complaining about this stuff probably wouldn't be quite as bothered. That is because there isn't much to take seriously anymore anyway, so any wish to fully take the narrative or characters to heart in a geninue manner would likely not exist.

Essentially, people want to take the game to be meaningful or sincere instead of just accepting it for the indulgent superficial tripe it is. Those who do not have any such desire see no problems, as demonstrated.

Edited by Irysa

Maybe the marriage part is more strongly desired in the west but gay romance (yaoi/yuri) is also extremely popular in certain circles of the Japanese population (people like Eponine, *cough cough*). I suspect the bisexual characters are more to pander to heterosexual players who are fans of gay romance than actual gay players/gay marriage supporters.

"cough" "cough" Remember which side announced that there is marriage first, is it NoA or NoJ? NoJ didn't even mention that there was same-sex marriage not even in the part where they announced the marriage is back.

Edited by Awakener_

"cough" "cough" Remember which side announced that there is marriage first, is it NoA or NoJ?

I don't remember. Did it get announced first in NoA? That's besides my point though. Gay romance is something a lot of players in Japan will appreciate so I think it's erroneous to imply that gay marriage was included primarily as a way to appeal to foreigners.

I'm tired of seeing balloon boobs, too.

I really, REALLY wish Kozaki would draw a flat-footed female character, and make her look good (as in, not on her tiptoes or wearing heels). He does a lot of things right, but that's a pet peeve of mine. Hell, male Kamui's standing flat on his feet, and he looks wonderful. Why do Aqua/female Kamui need to be on their toes?

Can someone translate the blurb about Lucky Chloe? The concept art looks like something Kozaki would draw, and I love the fact that she's standing flat!

EDIT: And please cut the spam posting out; read the Code of Conduct for more information.

Hinoka? I know that Hoshido's characters aren't as appealing as Nohr's but I will make sure that beside Camilla, you will remember that you have another onee-sama too.

Actually I can kinda agree. Though Yuri/Yaoi is also thought of well in Japan's anime cultures, but Tamodachi Life in the west debated wanting gay relationships and it's not anime. But I don't think Sakurai panders Japan more actually. Nintendo though, yes definitely loves too. But not Sakurai though, remember he crated that Smash Ballot for everyone who's a fan in the world.

Edited by Great Geargia Gateway

I'm going to guess that you are male. That's fine! A lot of people are.

But if so, and this is only guessing, it's not very becoming to assume what makes women uncomfortable when looking at supposed representations of their own gender. Straight males have a tendency to fetishize and sexualise everything that women do. I can't count the amount of times I've groaned or sighed or just made a noise and some grotty boy has made a sexual joke out of it. When women play games, or watch TV, and see these sexualised, fictional forms of themselves that have clearly been made purely for the male gaze, it discourages them. Art imitates life, after all. Dismissing it as "just a game" is dismissing the problems of women everywhere, and that is that we cannot escape from this standard under the male gaze, even in fiction.

There is still the problem of fiction having an impact on real life when it comes to representation. Women want to be able to see that they are being represented and not fetishized, because honestly we get enough of that in our day to day lives. Like I said, most of the designs in FE I'm absolutely fine with, but the fact that some parts make me and a lot of people, men and women included, uncomfortable, can be used to voice an objection, no? I still play the game, I still enjoy it, and I still critique and criticise the points that I find to be lacking.

That's how the world works.

Just because it's a game, does that make its story or character issues justifiable because they're not real? No. People want to be entertained with a good story.

Just because it's a game, does that make its character designs justifiable because they're not real? No. People want the representations of themselves to be good ones so they can carry out into the real world.

As long as these trends in fiction persist, and it's not exclusive to Japanese media, oh no, there is no way we can realistically foresee a world where women are treated the way they want to be.

As for the argument of "this is Japan, it's a different audience" there are plenty of Japanese franchises that feature well-designed female characters, even if there are some with some sexualisation. For God's sake, I just want an FE where most of the women wear pants or at the very least don't have panty cut-outs.

Like I said, I love Kozaki's art, but there is room to debate so don't try to stifle the voices of the people who want to by calling them unreasonable or unfounded. Like YOU said, not everyone sees the world the same, so try to accept their views. As far as I see it, the only one who is being so persistent is you. I really didn't want to get into a debate, but now that I have offered my explanation, I'll bow out.

Ok so lets ignore all the sexualizing of men, what about the super fit guys in FE I'll tell you I wish I was muscle lad, I've heard alot of women in my life my say some of the lewdist statements I've ever heard and also for your last one I'm not really being persistent I'm just responding to people in a very civil manner such as I'm to you.

Edited by Pepper

I wanna go to bed.

First post of the topic

Stuff that has nothing to do with Kozaki:

- Marriage

- Whining about Fates itself

- Women's rights

- Some other stuff that I missed

In other words, try to stick to the topic. That weird blurb I mentioned about Lucky Chloe was in there because it's in the interview itself, and I suspect he designed her.

Edited by eclipse

I wanna go to bed.

First post of the topic

Stuff that has nothing to do with Kozaki:

- Marriage

- Whining about Fates itself

- Women's rights

- Some other stuff that I missed

In other words, try to stick to the topic. That weird blurb I mentioned about Lucky Chloe was in there because it's in the interview itself, and I suspect he designed her.

He did design her.

Anyway, as someone who can't read this article, I am curious what it actually talks about.

This will do ten years Yûsuke KOZAKI officiates as character designer, especially in the field of gaming. His approach is both rigorous and personal: "Generally, when I am asked to create a character, you quickly give me his style and character. So I designed the office, and I fit the character's story with his character, adding details as I see fit, while remaining in line with requirements. However, I am concerned only with the creation of the character, not the animation or the setup. "

He also participated in some anime and is also the author of several manga, whose excellent Kyoko Karasuma or Tokyo Karasu , his most recent work: "I'd rather three. Whatever the type of media, I especially love creating characters, we put them a voice, let them be living " . This did not prevent him from giving life to turn the characters of their choice by participating in dojinshi these fanzines amateurs, sometimes semi-pro. This method of publication is so successful in Japan a monumental convention is held twice a year at Tokyo Big Sight , the Comic Market (or Comiket ). KOZAKI explains that "This is an opportunity to meet the fans (which is not possible when I worked for a publisher), and it allows me to publish things that I would not normally published. Outside the Comiket, it also has events organized there when a new game comes out, but it is especially Twitter allows me to be in contact with my fans. "

CG_Lucky_Chloe_tekken_7-255x300.jpgExample of creating, in the video game world on the franchise Tekken 7 with Lucky Chloe : "For this she was asked to integrate the most of otaku culture. So I suggested a woman with cat ears and legs, a music helmet, and who fights by capoeira. The welcome was rather cold in America, too. I was commissioned an otaku, I did, but not thinking about what qu'aimeraient Americans. However, it turns out that she is strong enough in the game, then I say they do not perhaps appreciate that a character representing this facet of Japanese culture is so strong. "

KOZAKI was finally showing of Under The Dog , an anime funded by crowdfunding , a method that seems more and more widespread in the environment. It's actually an original script written in 1997 by Jiro Ishii , the producer of Canaan . It speaks of an intervention developed by the United Nations force to deal with a group of leaders of terrorist attacks during the Tokyo Olympics of 2020. In this case, Under The Dog stands out from the rest its route through its participation as a character designer and mecha designer, particularly in contrast with his performance for Fire Emblem , where his mission was limited to draw the protagonists without creating armor.

catch_l.jpg

Branded scarlet emblem

Fire Emblem is a saga RPG tactical turn-by-turn taking place in a medieval fantasy universe. It is the flagship of the license development studio Intelligent Systems , whose last game date Fire Emblem Fates , is the fourteenth installment. In his career, the license overnight occupies a prominent place in the career KOZAKI when it becomes the official designer thirteenth character pane, Fire Emblem Awakening , in 2012. He also participated in the latest installment to date, Fire Emblem Fates . "Faced with the multitude of characters that I was asked to create, I was very surprised! It made ​​me literally breath away! (Laughs) I also create a lot of new character classes for this album, which I decided to give a touch of Japanese tradition, which is close to my heart. However, it's not because I've been working on this game that I can not enjoy it, it's rather the opposite; I can really invest myself in the characters that I created myself. In addition, the gameplay is really fun and easy to learn, I like it a lot! "

But can we still be surprised when we drew all the characters in a game? KOZAKI explains that he often "to find the items I had planned, and not just on Fire Emblem, d 'elsewhere. But I marvel sometimes seeing evolve the characters I created, or discovering new scenario elements and discovering the impact this has on their personality. "

Anyway, the adventure is not ready to stop for Yûsuke KOZAKI , since it does not cache still have many projects in sight: "I work in particular still on Tokyo Karasu , including a large volume is scheduled for next autumn. " This series for the less fantastic, which revolves around a specialized club urban legends, is not available for the moment in France, but in the near future, who knows?

IMG_2023-684x1024.jpg

- See more at: http://www.journaldujapon.com/2015/07/28/interview-yusuke-kozaki-et-le-chara-design-creer-et-regarder-vivre/#sthash.9UWmfuFh.dpuf