New Interview with Kozaki.

Pepper

Yeah those Twitter designs are pretty neat, but why is Charlotte in a dress? I mean, I know Lissa wore a dress too, but she was a healer... Charlotte is a Fighter, right? I don't think a Fighter would wear a dress. xP

Takumi looks eh to me though. I like his official design more, to be honest...

Well, from what little I know about her personality she liked manipulating men right? She looks more unassuming in a dress, so I figure that's what she'd wear during downtime. A dress would be better than her current Fighter outfit though.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, none of them are dressed for battle? I could tell some of them were in casual clothing (Camilla for instance), but some of them I thought were dressed for battle (like Takumi). My bad. xP

Oh, none of them are dressed for battle? I could tell some of them were in casual clothing (Camilla for instance), but some of them I thought were dressed for battle (like Takumi). My bad. xP

Oh boy I'm gonna cherry pick the characters when most aren't even that bad but hey gotta add those points cause I like to bitch hug this game sure hates women.

Oh boy I'm gonna cherry pick the characters when most aren't even that bad but hey gotta add those points cause I like to bitch hug this game sure hates women.

...What? Why are you getting passive-aggressive with her? She made a mistake, and apologized for it. No need to get defensive.

What are you even talking about, how is anything you said related to what you quoted?

If Hinoka is Kozaki's favorite character, then that's pretty ironic considering she gets the least love of the royals in both the game and in the fanbase.

Kozaki's drawings on tumblr are fantastic. The anatomy and proportions seem to be better than in-game and the outfits look great and seem to fit within the time period. Bet the armor he draws would be nice too. It would be great if the game series go with his outfit designs in the next game.

Thank you for the translation!

I'm glad he's keeping busy with stuff that isn't FE, as well. That way, it won't burn him out. Perhaps next time, they'll let him design some nice, functional armor that isn't meant to show off bits of a woman. . .because his casual clothes sketches shows that he can draw them just fine like that!

I mean not all of Kozaki's designs are fan servicey. In fact, when I really step back and look at it I can only think of a few truly fan servicey designs in the core game (aka not including DLC which is usually advertised as optional fanservice not mandatory to complete the game whatso ever).

I don' care about fanserive too much. I do care that 90% of the designs are stupid.

So yeah, I hope both Kozaki and the current art director leave forever. 2 games is enough. The next game should have a different art style.

I'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to be dressed for battle. I think Kozaki wanted to draw them wearing outfits on their down time; when they aren't in battle.

I think it's charming because we get to see the characters outside of the battlefield because walking around with tons of armor looks a bit exhausting.

Exactly this! These outfits aren't body armor. Its what they walk around in. This is a huge step up from Awakening if you ask me. We don't have another Kellam walking around in full armor all the time even when you reclass him to Ninja.

I feel really bad for Kozaki. Everyone likes to point the finger at him when it's the art director who's making the decisions in the end. I bet you anything if he had freedom over the designs we'd see armor similar to older games.

The sketches he did of the Norhs makes me wonder if their culture is a fusion of Celtic and Roman. The edge patterns on Leon, Camilla and Charlotte's clothes look vaguely Roman, but Belka's sweater and Benoit, Harold and Elfie's clothes imply European roots.

Whose idea was it to combine those two cultures!?

Yo did you seriously ban Pepper for having a different opinion? He has not said a single rude or offensive thing this entire thread.

Sorry, I probably should've mentioned that it says "休日シリーズ", meaning "day off series" (or "holiday series") right next to his twitter pictures.

Maybe we'll get more later!

Yo did you seriously ban Pepper for having a different opinion? He has not said a single rude or offensive thing this entire thread.

Except here where Pepper becomes extremely passive aggressive and defensive even though Ana admitted to having made a mistake.

Let's like, not be jerks to each other.

I feel really bad for Kozaki. Everyone likes to point the finger at him when it's the art director who's making the decisions in the end. I bet you anything if he had freedom over the designs we'd see armor similar to older games.

The sketches he did of the Norhs makes me wonder if their culture is a fusion of Celtic and Roman. The edge patterns on Leon, Camilla and Charlotte's clothes look vaguely Roman, but Belka's sweater and Benoit, Harold and Elfie's clothes imply European roots.

Whose idea was it to combine those two cultures!?

If it helps, several of the songs from the Nohr version clearly have a Celtic folksy-style to them (the first map theme and second boss theme especially). The combination is definitely interesting.

yo if you have a grievance with moderating pm the mods, don't bring it up in public, thanks.

also read the code of conduct, which says that.

EDIT: also carry on, don't respond to this in thread lol

Edited by Integrity

Personally, I don't quite understand how Fates' armor/clothing design is "stupider" or "less practical" than, say, the Jugdral games (epaulets and silk gloves are NOT appropriate battle wear!) or the GBA games.

It's mostly a matter of how both genders are dressed, and how the female designs just have to have a part of their body exposed while the male is covered from head to toe (with some classes being an exception of course like Fighters and Dark Mages). I'll use one Awakening class design as an example. Male archers are covered throughout and yet female archers have their cleavage exposed. Like, do you really want to go into battle with your chest almost completely exposed? That's what they mean by 'less practical'.

No one goes into war, where spears, swords and fire balls are being slashed and thrown around, with parts of their body unclothed. It just doesn't make sense. This rule doesn't apply to just Awakening or Fates so people can't help but question some of the logic that goes into some of the armor designs. I get that sometimes it's easier to move around without armor covering up certain parts of your body, but at least cover over it up with a layer of clothing or something.

Edited by carefreejules

It's mostly a matter of how both genders are dressed, and how the female designs just have to have a part of their body exposed while the male is covered from head to toe (with some classes being an exception of course like Fighters and Dark Mages). I'll use one Awakening class designs as an example. Male archers are covered throughout and yet female archer have their cleavage exposed. Like, do you really want to go into battle with your chest almost completely exposed? That's what they mean by 'less practical'.

No one goes into war, where spears, swords and fire balls are being slashed and thrown around, with parts of their body unclothed. It just doesn't make sense. This doesn't rule doesn't apply to just Awakening or Fates so people can't help but question some of the logic that goes into some of the armor designs. I get that sometimes it's easier to move around without armor covering up certain parts of your body, but at least cover over it up with a layer of clothing or something.

All of these are good points... and all of them apply just as much, if not more, to the Jugdral and GBA games. All of the female swordmasters wear a dress with a massive slit in it that has no purpose other than to show off their legs. A lot of the male characters in Jugdral seem to be dressed for a fancy dinner rather than a war (El Tishan is the most egregious example). Then there are the Pegasus Knights, none of whom wear pants.

Uh... What? I can't ban anybody, I'm not a mod. :/ And I never accused ANYONE of being rude to me. And now that I see Pepper's reply to my post, HE was the one being rude, if you ask me. Like pointed out before, I admitted to making a mistake and I apologized for it.

EDIT: Ugh, and it looks like I have to apologize again, because I didn't notice there was another page of posts. Sorry, Integ. >_<

Edited by Anacybele

All of these are good points... and all of them apply just as much, if not more, to the Jugdral and GBA games. All of the female swordmasters wear a dress with a massive slit in it that has no purpose other than to show off their legs. A lot of the male characters in Jugdral seem to be dressed for a fancy dinner rather than a war (El Tishan is the most egregious example). Then there are the Pegasus Knights, none of whom wear pants.

Firstly, you could argue that the F!Swordmaster situation was for mobility (but then they would be better off with leggings). The Pegasus Knight mandate of Zetta Ryouki is one of the most persistently wallbanging bits of fanservice from the beginning of the series. As for a lot of the male Judgral characters looking fancy in official artwork, well... they're nobles. It can easily be handwaved as them being all blinged out and fancy because of their position.

Really, the problem isn't that impractical designs are there; it's how frequent and in-your-face they've been in recent games.

Personally, I don't quite understand how Fates' armor/clothing design is "stupider" or "less practical" than, say, the Jugdral games (epaulets and silk gloves are NOT appropriate battle wear!) or the GBA games.

it's dumber but they're about the same level of impracticality imo

As for a lot of the male Judgral characters looking fancy in official artwork, well... they're nobles. It can easily be handwaved as them being all blinged out and fancy because of their position.

you could say that but you could also note that their sprites in-game are wearing the same thing, so i guess quan and lex are going into battle in silk coats and trousers

on the other hand you could point out that the fartes battle sprites (presumably) are wearing the same bad armors in battle

but on the other hand you could also point out that the one reason lex's battle sprite is armored and not decked out in his coat like in the oa is hardware limitations so he just gets "great knight sprite, but colored this way"

hell, i dunno where that train ends, i could also be totally wrong about the last bit because i haven't played fe4 in years and never with animations

like don't get me wrong i agree that fartes has kind of dumb armor choices in a bunch of the sprites but it's not like the old fire emblems are the bastions of practicality some people hold them up to be

cept for the tellius games, those were generally really pretty good

Really, the problem isn't that impractical designs are there; it's how frequent and in-your-face they've been in recent games.

I would argue that the frequency has remained consistent throughout the series, and as for "in-your-face," that is very subjective; ask five people what would constitute "in-your-face" and you'll get six different answers.

I would argue that the frequency has remained consistent throughout the series, and as for "in-your-face," that is very subjective; ask five people what would constitute "in-your-face" and you'll get six different answers.

it's objectively more in-your-face now, given as the conversation sprites are more than heads with (maybe) collars; back in the snes and the gba all you got was that, in fe9/10/awankening/fartes you get the full torso experience that you'd have to go look at official artwork (a thing a lot of people don't do) to go see before

EDIT: to be fair, a lot of the questionable stuff is from behind/waist down, so i may be overplaying it a little

Edited by Integrity

Again, it's less about fan service and more about stupid character designs. Like what the fuck is this?

http://imgur.com/iztlqzo

It's just so stupid. The new at direction is full of this shit. I want it to go away forever. What happened to the nice clean designs of Thracia? Simple yet good looking? Is making a character look outlandish and ridiculous the only way to keep the attention span of gamers now?

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker