New Interview with Kozaki.

Pepper

Not really. The eyes of the Fates kids are still placed much more realistically in comparison to Nino's, and would still be smaller.

Big eyes is only prominent with younger characters. Kozaki doesn't get any credit or praise for maintaining a standard that has always been present.

fe11-wolf.png

fe11-elice.png

oguma.gif

misheil.gif

briggid.png

skasaher.png

mareeta.png

dean.png

fe9titania.png

fe9gatrie.png

fe10-nolan.png

fe10-sigrun.png

I could go on and on. Close to zero difference. Just like with Kozaki's art, only the youngest characters and 'cute' females get the big eyes treatment. He is not immune to it and does it just as much as the rest ofthe series. "Kozaki toned down the big eyes in Fire Emblem" is nothing but a myth. It has always been a standard design choice in all games in the series.

Also, given that the sprites tend to be very small and graphical quality is not very high in the eealier games or on the small GBA screen, bigger eyes can also be a compromise. You'll see that sometimes the eye claorty for characters with normal sized eyes is very low.

In fact, I will go on, this time with official art instead of sprite work.

And more, just to show you that Kozaki does this just as much as the other art in the series. You'll notice that once again, these are all really young characters or 'cute' female characters. The older characters are exempt from this.

Let this myth die.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big eyes is only prominent with younger characters. Kozaki doesn't get any credit or praise for maintaining a standard that has always been present.

fe11-wolf.png

fe11-elice.png

oguma.gif

misheil.gif

briggid.png

skasaher.png

mareeta.png

dean.png

fe9titania.png

fe9gatrie.png

fe10-nolan.png

fe10-sigrun.png

I could go on and on. Close to zero difference. Just like with Kozaki's art, only the youngest characters and 'cute' females get the big eyes treatment. He is not immune to it and does it just as much as the rest ofthe series. "Kozaki toned down the big eyes in Fire Emblem" is nothing but a myth. It has always been a standard design choice in all games in the series.

Also, given that the sprites tend to be very small and graphical quality is not very high in the eealier games or on the small GBA screen, bigger eyes can also be a compromise. You'll see that sometimes the eye claorty for characters with normal sized eyes is very low.

In fact, I will go on, this time with official art instead of sprite work.

And more, just to show you that Kozaki does this just as much as the other art in the series. You'll notice that once again, these are all really young characters or 'cute' female characters. The older characters are exempt from this.

Let this myth die.

Thank you for letting me see the pictures side by side. I now clearly see, without a doubt, that the Kozaki's "young children or cute girls" eyes are definitely smaller than the others.

They're the same size. It's the spritework size that makes it look different. Big eyes are only really promiment in the GBA games. People don't get credit or praise for maintaining a standard and not doing worse than before, though in my opinion, Kozaki's artstyle is no where near as good as Thracia's or Sacred Stones's artstyle. This conversation started with people saying that Kozaki drew normal proportioned eyes when compared to the rest of the series. This is nothing but a myth. Fire Emblem has almost always had normal sized eyes and Kozaki merely continues this tradition.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

They're the same size. It's the spritework size that makes it look different. Big eyes are only really promiment in the GBA games. People don't get credit or praise for maintaining a standard and not doing worse than before (though in my opinion, Kozaki's artstyle is no where near as good as Thracia's or Sacred Stones's).

Except the game portraits of Fates is little indicative of what official art will look like. I compared the young girls game portraits with the other young girl game portraits, and I saw that Kozaki's eyes were smaller and better proportioned in relation to the mouth. Comparing them with the official artwork you posted yielded comparable results and could basically match (and in some cases, surpass) them, but comparing simple game portraits to official art would in most cases be a losing battle for game portraits, so I decided to find some of Fates' official artwork to compare them to the official artwork you posted, as well as to other artwork, mostly of young or cute girls.

Checking up what few official art of the characters Fates has released, all I needed were Elise's artwork, and Kozaki's twitter artwork of Elise and Sakura for confirmation, but I went one step further and compared the big-eyed characters of former FEs official artwork to Fates' next best thing: The My Room/S Support Confession models. I found the models for the Fates characters that you posted, and confirmed for myself that the eyes were indeed smaller.

Yeah, but women don't have to be going around in their panties and have huge balloon boobs to look attractive.

I was only responding to the part about the same-face syndrome, which is basically a symptom of Kozaki having to make everyone look young and attractive (for the most part, this means teens-to-young-adults look). There's only so much facial variation you can do with that sort of limitation. Wasn't really talking about anything else.

Yeah, but women don't have to be going around in their panties and have huge balloon boobs to look attractive. In fact, I find this UNattractive. And plenty of fans say that they find some Tellius characters or Elibe characters attractive. And men...well, it's actually rather hard to sexualize men. Sure, you can make a muscular shirtless dude like Vaike, but men walking around shirtless for any reason in itself, even with muscles, isn't really a sexual thing. Men do it to go swimming or get some sleep, or even fight.

Now giving a man large balls or something, that could be sexualizing them. And I'm glad that the FE team hasn't gone this far. They've had some opportunities (Frederick, for instance, with those tight pants of his, though he's near that line...), but Kozaki hasn't drawn any males with blatantly large genitals.

Not really. It's quite easy, Dente from DMC, Superman I believe and I find Marth quite a bit sexualized. I think sexualized is different to the person. If it has butts and boobs, or biceps and no shirt or just a feminine, strong, important, sexy, perfect guy (Marth) then that's my consideration. Characters like Vaike are a turn off for me, but accepted for some. I feel it's weird for Kozaki to create women of what he sees, but he won't make many males like it either.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy both art styles since they're pleasing to my eyes and they don't seem off to me, so Fire Emblem wins me over with that.

I dislike a few of the armor designs though.

Edited by Raumata

You guys know it's a fantasy game for a reason...right?

So why are you complaining over a fictional character's outfit?

Because I believe that at the point where a literal (well not really as the age is never mentioned, but there's no manakete excuse going on) 8 years old girl is wearing a tong in an armor that's designed in such a way it looks like a swimsuit is where we should draw some sort of line about how far something can go.

Edit: Whoops, forgot the quote

Edited by Jariu

Because... some of them look bad? Why do you think that aesthetics don't matter just because we are talking about a fantasy game?

Edited by BrightBow

Because it breaks the series aesthetics and a lot of them are quite fanservicey and just plain impractical.

(Note: I'm not saying fanservice and impractical outfits weren't part of the series before; it's that they're glaringly obvious now.)

^

Why are you complaining over people complaining?

They're not saying you're not entitled to your own opinion, but you seem to be implying they're not entitled to theirs.

(EDIT: wording more clear)

Edited by Baldrick

How nice. I say my opinion and everyone gangs up on me.

You asked a rather pointless question and then quoted yourself to make sure people saw it. People gave you their opinion, nothing more.

I'm very bothered by a lot of designs and attack animations because it looks beyond silly. I realize this is fiction, and I'm okay with some awkward designs and attack moves, but when the game makes me either roll my eyes or laugh out loud for all the wrong reasons, then I consider it an obstacle to my enjoyment - it doesnt ruin the game by any means, but it does bother me.

No one is "ganging up" on you, that would imply some sort of hostility, but nobody is being even remotely hostile to you. You asked two pointlessly stupid questions and you were answered.

What if they went back to the GBA battle era, but instead of sprites Kozaki made detailed anime images for fighting instead? I think that be cool, and slick but then I think he'd make a lot... of jiggling.

not happening and thane you must think persona 3 is garbage with you own awful standars because they are silly as fates n_n

Thanks for reminding me to properly mod this topic.

So, to answer this properly:

I have to look at the character sprites in the game, whether I want to or not (even if it's just portrait/map sprite). I am an advocate of practicality, so when my supposed badass army is wearing things that clash with that (GENERAL UNDIES, I'M LOOKING AT YOU), it makes me doubt their badassery. A leader who has doubts in their army is less likely to win. . .oh, and it does affect my enjoyment, since I'd have to turn off map animations, and skip every scene where a battle sprite appears (which means missing out on the entirety of My Castle and the story scenes, and I refuse to do the latter).

When art design gets to the point where I don't want to look at the characters, that's bad. Fates isn't there yet, but it's taken its first steps down that path.

EDIT: And that is my reason why. . .which should not imply a thing about what you asked, or you, or anything else like that.

Edited by eclipse

tbh I had a whole stupid rant typed out but figured it's probably best to keep it to myself

Aaanyway,

Personally I'd love it if they went back to GBA or Tellius armour designs (granted I didn't like most Tellius character designs, just armour), maybe with Kozaki drawing them, because his art is among my favourite in the FE series, but that doesn't mean I don't have reservations. I actually love most of the Fates designs...from the waist up. Because those panty windows and thongs are just far too uncomfortable for me, and they're almost relentless. I don't really care if they're catering to the masses of this supposed creepy mass of Japanese otaku who fetishize the designs of fictional women, it still makes me uncomfortable and I think I'm allowed, as is anyone here, to voice my opinions. As someone (I think Thor??) said, this sort of objection is not isolated to outside Japan, and I myself have seen even Japanese men who feel like these designs are just a new level of ridiculous.

I don't really get the practice of replying to every single person who doesn't share your opinion because it makes them uncomfortable and then crying that they're not respecting your opinion. Also one sexualised male design =/= almost every female design lol.

ANYWAY, is there an English translation floating around yet?

I don't think you can really compare sprites to a 3D model. As for tellius, the battle models in PoR were quite bland (Although the biggest problem was the robotic animations). RD overall improved (Probably the only thing it did better than PoR), but I still think Awakening/Fates have the best battles. Battles are fast and fluid. Imo, biggest problem isn't about exposing legs or chests, but rather the clipping which is what is most notable. However, battles are so fast that I barely care about that.

Fates isn't there yet, but it's taken its first steps down that path.

While there are a few designs that need to crawl into the pits of hell, I actually think Fates has phenomenal art. At the very least, Kozaki has shown that he draws the girls really well when they aren't in stripperiffic armor. His sketches of Camilia, Belka, and Charlotte were very nice.