New Interview with Kozaki.

Pepper

All this talk about gender "equality" in video games is nothing but communist bullshit. You damn marxist/SJW's do nothing but ruin everything including gaming. So what if some female characters look sexy or skimpy? There are many others that are cute or strong such as Lucina or Cordelia. But no, you SJW's only focus on a few FE women characters like Camilla or Chloe and want to condemn the entire game for it. Are you saying that women in real life don't appreciate being looked at by the opposite sex as sexy? Should EVERY FE character look like Dorothy from Binding Blade to not offend you?

Seriously, you SJW's really piss me off.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I had no idea he had designed for Tekken, and I'd totally forgotten about Under the Dog before now. Looks awesome, though, I've been looking forward to it since the kickstarter. But not much out of the ordinary for the FE part, hm. I wonder (it's probably inevitable) if a Knights of Iris-type artbook will come out sometime in the future. IIRC it came out in November/December of 2012, right? DOes anyone know when it was announced/by who?

All this talk about gender "equality" in video games is nothing but communist bullshit. You damn marxist/SJW's do nothing but ruin everything including gaming. So what if some female characters look sexy or skimpy? There are many others that are cute or strong such as Lucina or Cordelia. But no, you SJW's only focus on a few FE women characters like Camilla or Chloe and want to condemn the entire game for it. Are you saying that women in real life don't appreciate being looked at by the opposite sex as sexy? Should EVERY FE character look like Dorothy from Binding Blade to not offend you?

Seriously, you SJW's really piss me off.

Trying to address a very real problem that alienates a lot of female gamers doesn't make you a "social justice warrior". No one is condemning the entire game for a few designs, but there is an alarming pattern when it comes to how different the armor looks on female characters when compared to male ones. For instance, as I believe has already been mentioned in the thread, female Generals have a literal ass hole in their armor to show off a thong, whereas the male version doesn't.

Fantasy armor and skimpy clothing won't ever go away entirely. However, the game wants you to take it seriously yet, among other things, has several cutscenes and CG images of Camilla in various positions with her breasts in focus. It creates an incredible incongruity that breaks the immersion of a lot of players, not just social justice warriros.

Also, I fail to see how this has anything to do with one's political views. If you could tell me what you mean, I would appreciate it.

Edited by Thane

A lot of the men fight shirtless. Stop getting your panties in a bunch. The art director is fine. If their is anyone we should be mad about it is the writers. You don't see men complaining that Vaike was over "sexualized" even though he exposes more skin than all the Fire Emblem hoes you're all talking about. Grow up people. Just because you have A cup titties doesn't mean C cups aren't "reasonably proportioned". I just realized that feminists are really insecure and need everything they ever witness to be a safe little hugbox made specifically for them.

Trying to address a very real problem that alienates a lot of female gamers doesn't make you a "social justice warrior". No one is condemning the entire game for a few designs, but there is an alarming pattern when it comes to how different the armor looks on female characters when compared to male ones. For instance, as I believe has already been mentioned in the thread, female Generals have a literal ass hole in their armor to show off a thong, whereas the male version doesn't.

Fantasy armor and skimpy clothing won't ever go away entirely. However, the game wants you to take it seriously yet, among other things, has several cutscenes and CG images of Camilla in various positions with her breasts in focus. It creates an incredible incongruity that breaks the immersion of a lot of players, not just social justice warriros.

Also, I fail to see how this has anything to do with one's political views. If you could tell me what you mean, I would appreciate it.

If the way a female character dresses in a video game is real big problem for you, then maybe its time to grow a pair dude... God damn millennials are getting more and more pussified by the day

MODEDIT: yo don't doublepost

Edited by Integrity

There is no real problem in video games that must be addressed, it's only in your SJW social circle that thinks there is. So what if males and females wear different designs of the same class, I don't see the discrimination here as that has been going on in real life since forever.

That's normal for Camilla and fits her personality. It's part of her character to be seductive. Has nothing to do with female discrimination.

People like you preach about equality and being against discrimination when in reality you are against freedom of speech and creativity. You don't think it's OK for women to look or act a certain way and if so you do nothing but complain how it must be changed to YOUR liking. Edited by BAD

However, the game wants you to take it seriously yet...

I think at this point it's too wearisome to bother pursuing this line of argument anymore, even for me. Just look at the kind of reactionary replies that consistently show up in threads like these! The concerns and desires of these players are too far removed from our own. As such, since the game clearly fails at combining idulgence with sincerity, the only real solution is for players to maintain an ironic distance from the work. It's easier to just accept it for being silly but fun drivel that doesn't aspire to be anything more than that. Not that the game is beyond criticism, but it's fruitless to specifically talk about changing the issues within this single game when the percieved issues themselves are appreciated by the new core audience, and the percieved issues exist to appease them. The problem isn't so much that the game declines to be more down to earth, but rather that there's not really enough of that in the market as a whole.

Basically, stop treating or expecting the game to be a grand epic, and treat it more like a B movie. Or in a videogame sense, think Resident Evil or Devil May Cry. We don't feel the need to internally justify or critique character designs or plot woes in games like these because they don't aim to be anything but "fun". We can even appreciate the silliness, whilst the narratives are taking themselves too seriously.

Of course, feel free to lament the fall from grace though. This is why I said earlier the real issue is the earlier standards of the franchise.

Edited by Irysa

All this talk about gender "equality" in video games is nothing but communist bullshit. You damn marxist/SJW's do nothing but ruin everything including gaming.

If the way a female character dresses in a video game is real big problem for you, then maybe its time to grow a pair dude... God damn millennials are getting more and more pussified by the day

Just because you have A cup titties doesn't mean C cups aren't "reasonably proportioned". I just realized that feminists are really insecure and need everything they ever witness to be a safe little hugbox made specifically for them.

I, too, enjoy producing satire.

People like you preach about equality and being against discrimination when in reality you are against freedom of speech and creativity. You don't think it's OK for women to look or act a certain way and if so you do nothing but complain how it must be changed to YOUR liking.

"Against freedom of speech?" Yeah, clearly you who jumped in here with an ad hominem screaming "You damn marxist/SJW's do nothing but ruin everything including gaming." are the one who is trying to protect freedom of speech and not just some bully who tries to silence people. How much do you need to hate fellow board members to throw something like this in their face anyway?

Edit: Good lord, I can't believe I let myself get dragged into this. Nothing good can come from taking that bait, seeing how this is about as off-topic as it gets.

Edited by BrightBow

Hey guys you know that time when this topic was about the interview?

I liked that time.

EDIT: My opinion is I like his artwork and hope he continues even if some of the design choices have been ridiculous. But it's also in moon language so I dunno.

Edited by Crysta

Yeah, I would really love seeing Kozaki work on the series with a different art direction. I am not an artist myself so I am kinda limited in the praise I can give but I really like his level of detail and coloring.

I can't comment much on the interview itself. It seems fairly generic, nothing that is really noteable. Still, it was nice seeing all the other work mentioned that he did. In the past, it looked like everyone merely presented him as the guy who worked on No More Heroes but that series doesn't seem to be even mentioned here.

Edited by BrightBow

CKiL3lvUYAA8Mnb.jpgCK8QblUUsAAIQM5.jpgCLCFu14UEAE27OA.jpgCLGh9JJUkAA_yS3.jpgCLKXc21VEAA2Rgt.jpg

Here's the artwork of various characters from his twitter account.

...I'm on the side of "Blame the art director" and not Kozaki, especially after seeing these.

*Raises hand*

A lot of the men fight shirtless. Stop getting your panties in a bunch. The art director is fine. If their is anyone we should be mad about it is the writers. You don't see men complaining that Vaike was over "sexualized" even though he exposes more skin than all the Fire Emblem hoes you're all talking about. Grow up people. Just because you have A cup titties doesn't mean C cups aren't "reasonably proportioned". I just realized that feminists are really insecure and need everything they ever witness to be a safe little hugbox made specifically for them.

I think Vaike is a character with a horribly impractical design who was made with female gaze in mind; he's just one more muscle-bound, barrel-chested dude, even though men's builds can be skinny, athletic, or anything else, really.

The reason you don't here about it much? Because Vaike's the exception, not the rule.

As for what else you've said, you aren't even trying to make a decent argument; no evidence, just telling people to shut up while presumptuously throwing out ad hominems.

And "General Salt"? Considering your join date, I'm convinced this is a troll account.

Edited by The DanMan

Hey guys you know that time when this topic was about the interview?

I liked that time.

seriously everybody shut the fuck up about strawman sjws, there's warnings going out now.

and if you want to make a thread about strawman sjws, go to a non-fartes forum and conduct yourselves a hell of a lot better.

Moving on then.

I wonder how the characters will look in the manga. While I'm not too interested in its story unless they write it differently from the game, I am curious to see if those casual clothing pictures are any indication of a change in character design.

Moving on then.

I wonder how the characters will look in the manga. While I'm not too interested in its story unless they write it differently from the game, I am curious to see if those casual clothing pictures are any indication of a change in character design.

Well, I think he'll probably simplify the outfits a bit because the characters' official designs are way too complicated and detailed for a manga, where you would have to repeatedly draw the same character over and over again on different panels. It's also reasonable to think that they will have more casual clothing while not at battle, you can't just wear full armor to sleep like in the game, it'll look really bizarre.

Edited by Ryo

Soo........ regarding the interview.

I can't read this. What does it say? I see Lucky Chloe from Tekken 7....... is Yusuke Kozaki the one who designed her?

Moving on then.

It depends on what the manga will focus, I think.

If focus more on the battles, then we will probably see the armor designs more,

I'm also really curious about how he would draw some characters in casual clothing, such as an armorless Ryoma, a Felicia with hair down and what Oboro would choose as everyday clothes, considering her fashion sense.

Well, I think he'll probably simplify the outfits a bit because the characters' official designs are way too complicated and detailed for a manga, where you would have to repeatedly draw the same character over and over again on different panels. It's also reasonable to think that they will have more casual clothing while not at battle, you can't just wear full armor to sleep like in the game, it'll look really bizarre.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Hell, I thought Lucina was detailed, but drawing these ludicrous armors repeatedly can't be easy. I'd love it if at least the more important characters occasionally wore different clothes.

Also, what are you talking about? Haven't you gone to My Room when married? All of my partners have been sleeping in their Great Knight armor because it's clearly the coziest armor there is.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Hell, I thought Lucina was detailed, but drawing these ludicrous armors repeatedly can't be easy. I'd love it if at least the more important characters occasionally wore different clothes.

Also, what are you talking about? Haven't you gone to My Room when married? All of my partners have been sleeping in their Great Knight armor because it's clearly the coziest armor there is.

Yep; the royal brothers especially. Not that I don't like those designs, but I sometimes wish they were a bit more minimalistic.

Also, why did I only just now get the joke in your forum avatar?

Edited by The DanMan

Yep; the royal brothers especially. Not that I don't like those designs, but I sometimes wish they were a bit more minimalistic.

Also, why did I only just now get the joke in your forum avatar?

NGL While I personally love both Marx and Ryouma's designs god they are a hassle to draw (but I can't talk I tend towards blingy on my own designs too wwww)

I think I drew Ryouma like, enough times to have memorised all the basic shapes of his design though rip

I would most definitely not want to draw him over like, a couple hundred panels, though, as is

Edited by Thor Odinson

I'm a huge sucker for seeing characters wearing casual clothing aside from their battle gear so I'll be pretty excited if we get to see plenty of that in the manga.

Drawing armor in general is a pain in the butt imo especially if they have intricate designs like whoa pretty, but oh my god I have to keep switching back and forth from the reference and the canvas I'm working on just to make sure I got it down pat.

Making a pixel Ryouma like the pixels in my signature was such a pain OTL

Reading through the article, I can tell Kozaki's super enthusiastic about his work. He's done a lot and he's proud of it, so in return, I'm happy for him.

I also looked at Under the Dog and wow the art was stunning. The staff involved has a good track record in my books too. Very impressive. Anthea looks pretty cool, but I can't wait to see Kozaki's weapon designs the most.

And the fact that he's drawing the Fates manga should mean he'll get more creative freedom on the clothing. Fingers crossed for casual clothes?

coupled with Kibayashi writing the story without executive meddling, it'd be pretty sad if I come to like the manga adaption way more than the actual games

seriously everybody shut the fuck up about strawman sjws, there's warnings going out now.and if you want to make a thread about strawman sjws, go to a non-fartes forum and conduct yourselves a hell of a lot better.

Hue. Not sure if clever typo.

Love Kozaki's designs, hate they armor they were. New art director needs to be banished into the 9th circle of hell. The new mercs look slamming though.

-Snipped for space-

Thanks for the translation, Under the Dog looks fascinating just from that image alone.

snipped-

Here's the artwork of various characters from his twitter account.

...I'm on the side of "Blame the art director" and not Kozaki, especially after seeing these.

-snipped-

I'd like to see Kozaki get his chance at designing the clothes and armor for a game, he's really got some amazing skill to bring.

Moving on then.

I doubt they'll change the designs, at best they'll simplify them. But it would be interesting to see the characters in other outfits like these when they're not in battle.

NGL While I personally love both Marx and Ryouma's designs god they are a hassle to draw (but I can't talk I tend towards blingy on my own designs too wwww)

I think I drew Ryouma like, enough times to have memorised all the basic shapes of his design though rip

I would most definitely not want to draw him over like, a couple hundred panels, though, as is

As someone else who draws the characters (addmitingly incredibly crappy), do you think there's a chance Kozaki will stick with making the silhouette of the armor with some minor detail for folds and cuts? That seems like the logical thing to do.

As someone else who draws the characters (addmitingly incredibly crappy), do you think there's a chance Kozaki will stick with making the silhouette of the armor with some minor detail for folds and cuts? That seems like the logical thing to do.

If I just draw Lobster's basic armor design it's not too bad, even with the intricacies of the layer--although mind, I'm more of a painter and I usually just sketch out the shapes and then blob colors everywhere and I work quite differently from kozaki, who's more line-focused.

But I'd imagine a lot of the more intricate details might be simplified down a bit. I'd cry if I have to draw like, 6? 10? Hoshido symbols in all of those panels involving Ryouma. Maybe he'll just save the super detailed version for closeup shots and leave it as simple circles otherwise, for one example I guess.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/607466c770473a97563a9c80be119ed4/tumblr_nribicA50M1rgeqp5o5_500.png

This is a sketchier version of what I'm talking about, anyway. That wasn't too painful to draw, though I'd imagine it'd be more so when you need to have clean lines. Compare to http://cuniculosus.tumblr.com/post/123284060121/in-ryoumas-3rd-route-support-with-elise-they, where I went the full way, it's much simpler to deal with, at least.

Or he can be a more masochistic/with even more professionalism/idk and actually draw every one of those Hoshido emblems in. I personally wouldn't, but I'm not Kozaki, after all.

Edited by Thor Odinson