New Interview with Kozaki.

Pepper

The fact of the matter is, the only female characters that get flack for their lack of armor are Camilla and Charlotte, and occasionally Ophelia. Even if we include Nyx as well, that's still only four characters out of 32.

To be fair this is because these are the more ''in your face'' problematic designs as the problems appear the moment you see their portrait, and with the game being JP only and that not everyone wants to spoil parts of it and thus don't look up footage have no idea of things such as Effie's butt window (although the breast socks on her armor are also a problem as it defeats a big part of a breast plate, but this requires a bit of armor knoweldge so I can see why people miss the problem) or the fact that Orochi literally shows her ass to whoever may be behind her.

At least there's some great ones out there on this ''first glance'' situation, Luna whom while I wonder if she has pants wears literally the same thing as Lazwald, same situation thing with Soleil.

Pieri and Sophie also look perfecty fine, I wonder about her models as I've heard things of the promotions though.

Edited by Jariu

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guys really are complaining about realism in a fantasy game, then we might as well have no female characters at all. Fantasy games call for fantasy armor. I don't think the designs are good either but they aren't anything to throw a fit over. The fact that the armor is a little "revealing" is the least of our worries. The spikes on Camilla's armor just make it look a joke. But yeah if you really want realism then you should be complaining about women even being able to fight in the game.

I feel like this is the "Don't go there." department. Buuuut... you don't question Kids joining a small army to take on a force dominating the lands? Final Fantasy games proved that fantasy armor isn't in everything. Lightning is a good example. If she can join the army and not be sexualized and get a fanbase for it and still kick butt, then stuff like Camilla's and Charlotte's design is all in the designers head. And realism is a fantasy game is great. Dark Souls is a great example.

I feel like this is the "Don't go there." department. Buuuut... you don't question Kids joining a small army to take on a force dominating the lands? Final Fantasy games proved that fantasy armor isn't in everything. Lightning is a good example. If she can join the army and not be sexualized and get a fanbase for it and still kick butt, then stuff like Camilla's and Charlotte's design is all in the designers head. And realism is a fantasy game is great. Dark Souls is a great example.

Do remember that they are at war, and during thoses times if you can wield a weapon, then your age will not matter much, you will be forced to fight one way or another.

I don't think "realism" is what anybody here is looking for so much as:

A. Verisimilitude.

B. Being appropiate for who they are, how they act, what they do, and what your supposed to view him or her as.

For example, it's accepted for someone like Sylvia to dress how she does since she's not only a dancer, but she goes out of her way to get men like Lewyn to eye her. On the other hand, Sully is a hard edged knight who has has an issue about how she's a woman while being a knight, and yet she's wearing an outfit that speaks for itself. What does her outfit tells about her beyond "well she's a girl I guess"?

I think when posters here are praising designs from the pre-Awakening games, they aren't really long doing so for their realism so much as the designs at large being more appropiate, if that works.

Edited by Alazen

Do remember that they are at war, and during thoses times if you can wield a weapon, then your age will not matter much, you will be forced to fight one way or another.

Do rememeber that that only happens if things get very very rough too.

Considering that in FE everyone (I can't think of any exeptions tbh, maybe Shinon but not really) join your army completely out of their own free will it's kinda alright to be honest.

Edited by Jariu

Do rememeber that that only happens if things get very very rough too.

Considering that in FE everyone (I can't think of any exeptions tbh, maybe Shinon but not really) join your army completely out of their own free will it's kinda alright to be honest.

I know, and most Fire Emblem games start their stories when the Main Lord's country are at their absolutely worst,

so it's no surprise children are fighting.

Edited by Water Mage

Sex sells people. Never forget the target audience either. Teenage boys and younger men. Taking away from the fan service would be detrimental to sells. The games didn't even sell well until Waifu Emblem: Awakening.

They sold well enough for the most part, to the point they didn't even need to put as much into Awakening as they did to meet their quota.

Do you enjoy playing Devils advocate, because thats all you're doing in this thread, when someone disagrees with something you go against them instantly

Edited by Jedi

They sold well enough for the most part, to the point they didn't even need to put as much into Awakening as they did to meet their quota.

Do you enjoy playing Devils advocate, because thats all you're doing in this thread, when someone disagrees with something you go against them instantly

Because I have an opinion not common in this hugbox means I'm playing Devils Advocate? Yes occasional I am but I have not changed my beliefs this entire thread.

Awakening sold over 1 million copies worldwide. What are you trying to say? The game with the most fanservice sold the best. Why are you trying to debate facts?

Sex sells people. Never forget the target audience either. Teenage boys and younger men. Taking away from the fan service would be detrimental to sells. The games didn't even sell well until Waifu Emblem: Awakening.

I have to agree with you. The waifu/fanservice part played a huge role on Awakening sales and probably in Fates too. The problem is some people think it's too much. Honestly I don't have much of a problem with it so I can't complain about it.

Nigga as a marketing major I can tell you Sex definitely does sell. Especially among Fire Emblem's target market. Stop bringing in these heavily opinionated websites.

Why FE: Awakening sold so well:

1. Timing when their was no other games to play.

2. Revolutionary new FE game that has been completely advertised more than any other FE.

3. The Waifu's and Fan service.

Yay, or nay?

1 and 2. I wouldn't really say Awakening was revolutionary. The writing was awful and the gameplay was pretty lackluster by Fire Emblem standards.

THIS is still in effect, so kindly stop derailing the topic.

. . .except now that everyone's on second notice, I'm going to be a lot less lenient about this.

We are having a civil discussion. This thread would be pretty much dead if it wasn't for us

1 and 2. I wouldn't really say Awakening was revolutionary. The writing was awful and the gameplay was pretty lackluster by Fire Emblem standards.

Revolutionary as in, revived the series that was apparently dead and even got some newer things FE never did, heaps of skills, mechanics and a newer art style like ones today.

Revolutionary as in, revived the series that was apparently dead and even got some newer things FE never did, heaps of skills, mechanics and a newer art style like ones today.

Well yeah of course if you put it that way. Fates isn't too different from Awakening

THIS is still in effect, so kindly stop derailing the topic.

. . .except now that everyone's on second notice, I'm going to be a lot less lenient about this.

fuck's sake, guys, that's a round of warnings out

when a mod says "knock off the derail" you're neither supposed to continue it (take it to pms) or actively tell the mod no (seriously)

if the thread's run its course and nobody has anything to say about kozaki anymore then the thread can die, jeez

Anyway, how about that Kozaki? He's quite the character designer!

I love Kozaki and his designs. He draws characters so well and he's good at drawing a whole lot and a whole range of them, and giving them unique designs to distinguish them from one another. He also has a way of making characters who would otherwise look quite similiar in appearance feel distinctly different from each other.

It's good to hear him feel so passionate about his work, and that he ended up loving Fire Emblem as a series since I want to see more of him.

(I became a fan of his character artwork after seeing the Speed Grapher anime, which was way before he had any involvement with Fire Emblem.)

I guess outlandish and ridiculous clothes and armour really are needed because, to me, Kozaki has a very noticeable same'face problem.

In any case, regardless of anyone's opinion, the next game should have a new art director and lead illustrator because a franchise like this needs fresh looks.

I guess outlandish and ridiculous clothes and armour really are needed because, to me, Kozaki has a very noticeable same'face problem.

Well to be fair, many Artists for FE had the same Problem. And he can design some very unique faces, like Benoit, Basilio and Kellam for example.

Anyway I really like Kozakis art because he is very versitile. He can draw a lot of different settings, from Fantasy to Sci-Fi or just modern day.

After seeing all this I genuinely feel bad for the vitriol I've had for Kozaki when he clearly wasn't to blame, but I still think he shouldn't stay for much longer. Every FE has been different from the other, and I'm confident they desperately need some fresh faces all across the development staff to keep that trend going, unless they really want to make the next game FE13-3.