Nintendo Planning a Loot Crate Service

Sentacotus

So it looks like Nintendo is in the process of starting up a loot crate subscription service. Similar to Loot Crate things like toys, shirts, and memoribilia will be given in monthly packages to their subscribers except it will all be Nintendo themed. Before you get your hopes up too much though it appears as if this will be a UK only thing given that its being planned with the UK retailer Zavii which runs its own Z-box service via The Hut Group.

First boxes are set to hit in September.

I really hope this expands stateside since I (and many others) would kill to have a subscription to a service like this in lieu of the disbandment of Club Nintendo.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/07/nintendo_is_planning_its_own_loot_crate-style_subscription_service

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nintendo-set-to-offer-loot-crate-subscription-box-rival/0153435

Edited by LordTaco42

This sounds really nice and all, but why the hell is it UK only? That's not cool. It's as bad as how much stuff Japan gets that never goes anywhere else...

This sounds really nice and all, but why the hell is it UK only? That's not cool. It's as bad as how much stuff Japan gets that never goes anywhere else...

Its not confirmed whether its UK only or not yet. Sure it seems highly likely but it could be them testing the waters and planning something else for NA.

Yeah, that's possible too. I mean, not that I don't care about Europe at all or anything, but I just want Nintendo to stop shafting everybody that's not Japan in terms of merchandise. I mean, I get that Japan is Nintendo's original home and all, but I seriously bet that a lot of that stuff that's Japan only would sell pretty well here too...

I think a big thing with Nintendo is that they don't mass produce things like they used to so planning on distributing some semi collectable to rare things across what would likely be a massive subscription base would be quite a challenge. I mean they already have problems with Amiibos in NA can you imagine how much trouble they would have with limited release items and trying to produce enough for their subscribers? Plus you got the whole process of finding a distributor and retailer willing to incur the costs of doing it. For all we know they could very well be in the process of planning a similar service stateside.

I won't sit there and try to excuse Nintendo for their glaring flaws in the execution of their supply and distribution methods but I'm just saying there is alot going on behind the scenes that makes this more complicated than at first glance.

Edited by LordTaco42

Well, I understand why Nintendo doesn't mass produce. They don't want to over-produce, because then that would mean a lot of leftover stock that isn't getting bought, which means Nintendo loses money on it. You can see this happening now, in fact, because of how common Peach Amiibo are here. She's like EVERYWHERE. There are other commons too, but I don't see them as often as I see Peach.

Still, I do think they're actually underproducing more. They could stand to produce a little more than what they are now and not lose money.

Edited by Anacybele