How did they explain the children (SPOILERS)

jessehyuga

I have been gone for the forums for a while, but I looked extensively and I didn't see this thread anywhere so i think I'm safe.

So, how did they explain the kids this time around, is it the same time shenanigans? different time shenanigans? magic? alt. dimensions? I'm dying to know.

Basically, they're born in the real time but they put them in a so-called "secluded region" to keep them safe from attacks on the MyCastle realm/the war, and time passes a lot faster in the world where they were raised. I honestly prefer time travel but not two games in a row.

Something about sending them to another dimension where they just grow up fast, similar to the Time Chamber in DBZ. In my opinion, it seems like a dumb excuse on re-adding child characters.

Edited by Jester Capri

Waldorf: How do they explain the second generation of characters in Fire Emblem Fates?

Statler: Pretty poorly!

Both: Doh ho ho ho ho!

Literally anything would be a better explanation than the one they give. "It's magic, I don't gotta explain shit" would have been an improvement.

Basically, they're born in the real time but they put them in a so-called "secluded region" to keep them safe from attacks on the MyCastle realm/the war, and time passes a lot faster in the world where they were raised. I honestly prefer time travel but not two games in a row.

In short, it's non-canon, unless you think instantaneous (sometimes pre-teen) pregnancies and an incredible amount of off-screen stuff, like casual visits (they know their children before recruiting them) to other dimensions in times of war, are possible.

In short, it's non-canon, unless you think instantaneous (sometimes pre-teen) pregnancies and an incredible amount of off-screen stuff, like casual visits (they know their children before recruiting them) to other dimensions in times of war, are possible.

Yeah, I know, I know. I do think of it as non-canon and try to disregard them from a story perspective and even then it was kind of fun getting to know the new units as I hadn't spoiled myself for most of them. Oh well, though, you win some you lose some. It's kind of funny given that, if time passed by the same for the children, Ignis and Shinonome ended up being younger than Lutz and Kanna in my game as it seems to imply that after the S rank the children are IMMEDIATELY BORN (after an apparent off-screen nine months and then some.) Silly, but that's usually how I like my fanservice.

Yeah, I know, I know. I do think of it as non-canon and try to disregard them from a story perspective and even then it was kind of fun getting to know the new units as I hadn't spoiled myself for most of them. Oh well, though, you win some you lose some. It's kind of funny given that, if time passed by the same for the children, Ignis and Shinonome ended up being younger than Lutz and Kanna in my game as it seems to imply that after the S rank the children are IMMEDIATELY BORN (after an apparent off-screen nine months and then some.) Silly, but that's usually how I like my fanservice.

Oh sorry, I directed that at the OP using what you wrote as a basis.

I really just think of it as a fun mechanic and leave it at that. I wish they were just normal units instead, since I rather like Velour and Shinonome.

Oh, so that's how they handled it. ya I agree, I like it as a mechanic but I REALLY don't like the big plot holes that follow. I do like the characters though.

Oh, so that's how they handled it. ya I agree, I like it as a mechanic but I REALLY don't like the big plot holes that follow. I do like the characters though.

Yeah, I really liked the mechanic is Awakening, but I don't think it should have come back in Fates. It worked in Awakening since its plot allowed for it to happen, it was part of the story. Here they feel just shoehorned in with a dumb explanation.

Basically what the others said. I really hate how they did it in this game, would've actually just preferred if they threw the time-travel gimmick in again, to be honest. The explanation they gave was so weak, and it's really a shame because I love the children.

what the others said. I really hate how they did it in this game, would've actually just preferred if they threw the time-travel gimmick in again

Seeing how many people I previously saw wishing for "no time travel", I guess that for many people this serves as a lesson in "be careful of what you wish for". As we indeed did get rid of time travel, after all…

The only reason I'm even really using this mechanic is Shinonome, since he's a really legit character and I'd hate it if he didn't exist in my runs now that the child mechanic already happened and there's not much I can do about it.

I wish it wasn't in fates, though. It made sense in FE4 and Awakening, but it's just out of place here and there's not really much they add to the gameplay in a manner that A+/S rank class passings don't, besides a bit of higher caps for like, PvP or something.

Speaking of which, I feel that if they were postgame-only it'd give them their PvP niche while potentially be less jarring to the plot? Like, skip the hyperbolic time chamber entirely and just have postgame take place ????? years later or some shit idk

Edited by Thor Odinson

The only reason I'm even really using this mechanic is Shinonome, since he's a really legit character and I'd hate it if he didn't exist in my runs now that the child mechanic already happened and there's not much I can do about it.

I wish it wasn't in fates, though. It made sense in FE4 and Awakening, but it's just out of place here and there's not really much they add to the gameplay in a manner that A+/S rank class passings don't, besides a bit of higher caps for like, PvP or something.

Speaking of which, I feel that if they were postgame-only it'd give them their PvP niche while potentially be less jarring to the plot? Like, skip the hyperbolic time chamber entirely and just have postgame take place ????? years later or some shit idk

All of the children could have been included as not-children to avoid all the pitfalls that comes with. Shinonome, for example, could have been the younger cousin of Ryoma (let's say the child of King Sumeragi's sister) and maintain a similar relationship to what we got. I know, people love their eugenics but I think the series loses more in story than it would in fun if the children aspect were rewritten.

Genealogy of the Holy War is currently the only FE even close to properly handling a 2nd Gen. The game had a motif of bloodlines, heritage, and old feuds. Sigurd's campaign was a prologue to Seliph and Leif's rebellions. And lastly, only 1 1st Gen character was playable in GotHW's 2nd Gen.

In Awakening, Lucina is the least important of the leader units. The 2nd Gen units are mostly recruited in Paralogues. The entire 2nd Gen apparently sat around for 2 years while Grima was hanging around in Plegia.

Fates resorts to dumping babies in another dimension to have them be battle ready without doing a timeskip. It's embarrassingly obvious that the 2nd Gen units were just shoehorned into the game.

If I'm being honest I prefer this way of explaining the children ONLY because it's actually the child of your units from this time. The kids from Awakening made me sad because I always felt like "yeah you're my kid but not really." Plus some of them disappear or leave somewhere etc. :<

Though I do agree it's shabby story telling at best and a silly excuse to include child characters. They're implemented whether I like it or not, so I may as well try to enjoy them :3

Edited by Cinnamon Bun

I do agree that the whole 'stored in a pocket universe' thing makes no sense, but it is a lot better than the time travel gimmick in Awakening.

Plus potentially courting a 2nd gen character is a lot less awkward without time travel shenanigans.

I do agree that the whole 'stored in a pocket universe' thing makes no sense, but it is a lot better than the time travel gimmick in Awakening.

Plus potentially courting a 2nd gen character is a lot less awkward without time travel shenanigans.

It is? Why? Awakening was built upon the idea of time travel. To me, instantaneous pregnancies (meaning that even the child characters have sex; in Awakening the only one to canonically have sex during the game was Chrom - characters like Nah definitely didn't get pregnant, much less give birth, during the story), frequent off-screen trips to alternate words where time conveniently runs faster in times of war among other things are a lot harder to take seriously than time travel. Not to mention the parents come across as complete dicks just shoving their children in some pocket dimension. And of course, nine months pass in the blink of an eye, and Kanna is the youngest child even if she's born first, and so on.

It's just a mess. Naturally, it's only there to serve as a mechanic, but it really doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Explain how the time travel thing was an issue with Awakening, since here it actully was part of the plot. And anyways, as time travel stories go, Awakening was better than most simply by keeping it simple and avoiding the usual pitfalls of that sort of thing. Sure, it didn't to anything interesting with it and there are far better time travel stories out there, but it worked better than so many others.

As Thane said above, the implications of the Hyperbolic Time babies of Fates are horrifying, which aren't there in Awakening.

Edited by TheWerdna

I really can't agree with the bolded. With the time travel you'd at least have the excuse as only seeing them as they are as adults and it's still weird as hell. Here your character has explicitly been the cool uncle/parent's best friend that occasionally watches over the kids (part of why M!kamuiXShara is really messed up) so your char raising them since they were a little kid and thinking "ahh yes, this'll be a fine wife indeed" is waaaaaaaayyyyyy more awkward than time travel. You really can't compare the two.

I really can't agree with the bolded. With the time travel you'd at least have the excuse as only seeing them as they are as adults and it's still weird as hell. Here your character has explicitly been the cool uncle/parent's best friend that occasionally watches over the kids (part of why M!kamuiXShara is really messed up) so your char raising them since they were a little kid and thinking "ahh yes, this'll be a fine wife indeed" is waaaaaaaayyyyyy more awkward than time travel. You really can't compare the two.

I always felt like the children characters should be barred into only being able to marry eachother. Even in Awakening I always thought it was so so so creepy that you could marry somebody who in your time hasn't even been born yet. (Also that way they could have found a much better bi character than Shara, I mean really..)

I always felt like the children characters should be barred into only being able to marry eachother. Even in Awakening I always thought it was so so so creepy that you could marry somebody who in your time hasn't even been born yet. (Also that way they could have found a much better bi character than Shara, I mean really..)

I don't (though its not like my if my avatar pic didn't make that blatantly obvious), mainly because their future versions are separate people than their alternate selves. Seriously, those born in the games timeline are likely to end up very different people due to not growing up in a hellish apocalyptic world. They are (at least for the older ones) adults, so who cares what age the parallel versions of them are, who in the end of the day have 0 baring and involvement in the relationship.

However, that said, I do find it really creeper here