On Project Naga...

Lantairu

So, I recently decided to check up on the progress on the new retranslation for FE4 and FE5 called "Project Naga," with the project being spearheaded by user bookofholsety. The FE4 translation is done and almost in playable form. There's been a lot of controversy over a lot of the changes, so I wanted to know what you thought. Personally, I think it will be good, considering he's translating everything, not just the dialouge and menus. Some of the name changes I don't like, though.

bookofholsety's blog: http://bookofholsety.dreamwidth.org/8084.html

bookofholsety's tumblr (no longer in use): http://bookofholsety.tumblr.com/projectnaga

The name chart: http://bookofholsety.tumblr.com/projectnaga/names

EDIT: Some new information: http://www.romhackin...ic,21199.0.html

Edited by Lantairu

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just be glad they didn't use Felgus

Arvis is almost as bad, though, since not only does it sound dumb it removes the mythological reference

but um yeah excited for playable english thracia

granted i'll still try to finish the old patch since the names are mostly less awful, but i'll give this a try once I finish it

Looking through the script, I don't know if it's just me, but does everything seem a lot more... formal?

Celice/Seliph's dialogue is the place where this stuck out to me the most. I guess this is more accurate, but... It just really changes my image of him, I guess.

To give a good example,

"A cleric such as yourself is ill suited for such a battlefield!"

As opposed to

"Nuns and warfare DO NOT mix!"

He sounds like he's 10 years older than he was in the old patch or something. Kinda odd, really.

Although, overall, this is really great. The script changes and updates are really good, for the most part. Definitely going to use it for FE4 at least once when it's finished.

Edited by maybe

Arvis is almost as bad, though, since not only does it sound dumb it removes the mythological reference

granted i'll still try to finish the old patch since the names are mostly less awful, but i'll give this a try once I finish it

Looking through the script, I don't know if it's just me, but does everything seem a lot more... formal?

Celice/Seliph's dialogue is the place where this stuck out to me the most. I guess this is more accurate, but... It just really changes my image of him, I guess.

To give a good example,

As opposed to

He sounds like he's 10 years older than he was in the old patch or something. Kinda odd, really.

Although, overall, this is really great. The script changes and updates are really good, for the most part. Definitely going to use it for FE4 at least once when it's finished.

Honestly, I never had a problem with Arvis. I like Alvis better, but Arvis is just fine. Though, I did notice everything was more formal, which does kind of irk me. For the 1st Generation, I think it's just fine because they're all battle hardened and have been through some shit. For the 2nd Generation however, Fin, Oifaye (or Aoife, hate that name), and Shanan being the exception, I have a problem with it because these aren't battle hardened adults finally taking a stand, these are just kids. Sure, they have some training, but they aren't professional knights. They're just young rebels. This brings greater impact to the story in my opinion, and when yoiu change the informalities to, well, formal speech, you lose something. just a little rant though, the game's going to be great no matter what. Though, I still hate Aoife. And Raquesis. And Dermott. And tons of other names. I guess the naming sucks. Especially Ced. Nobody and I mean NOBODY likes Ced. So many things wrong with that name.

Edited by Lantairu

If it's better written on the whole, by all means.

Also love the stealth add on to Bramsel's line about Seliph's name.

"Isaachian rebels? Ah, the ones led by that brat... Celice, was it? Or Serlis? Something like that."

Genius.

Almost as good is the secret event with Linda and Jake

He still says that it sounds familiar but he also says "Sure you're spelling it right?"

I love this.

If it's better written on the whole, by all means.

Also love the stealth add on to Bramsel's line about Seliph's name.

"Isaachian rebels? Ah, the ones led by that brat... Celice, was it? Or Serlis? Something like that."

Genius.

I have yet to go over the entire script, I've only read little snippets of it, so I didn't see that. But yeah, that's just great,

To give a good example,

As opposed to

Seliph is supposed to be 20. By Japanese media standards, that's already middle aged.

I'm still waiting warmly for the FE4 retl patch to be finished. I really want to make my first experience with Jugdral be wholesome!

I'm still waiting warmly for the FE4 retl patch to be finished. I really want to make my first experience with Jugdral be wholesome!

For FE4, now is a better time than ever with all the translations oout there, like this one. Though for Thracia 776, I don't think wholesome is the word I would use to describe it. It's a great game, but I think frustrating is more like it.

Personally, from what I've read of the rough drafts BookofHolsety has posted, his translation is good...but, there are some things I'm going to miss from the old translation. First of all, the names, which I believe are better for the most part. But secondly, as Lantairu said, I'm going to miss some of the more casual dialogue, especially since that's actually kind of a part of Sigurd and Celice's character. I remember that after I completed the Prologue in my LP, one of the Something Awful posters said...

I hope that the new patch doesn't make Sigurd any less of a bro because I really enjoy his dialogue here

Edited by FionordeQuester

Especially Ced. Nobody and I mean NOBODY likes Ced. So many things wrong with that name.

it's short for cedric yo

they did it, they did Eyrios to Ilios

all the other name changes are awful but they did the one that was necessary

i still think Helios is the true and proper translation tbh

it's short for cedric yo

That would be fine except

A) Sety and Cedric are not related in any way and

B) If they wanted to name him Cedric they would name him Cedric.

That would be fine except

A) Sety and Cedric are not related in any way and

B) If they wanted to name him Cedric they would name him Cedric.

a: who cares, it's localization not transliteration

2: i can't think of a fire emblem character off the top of my head but there's a chick in valkyria chronicles named brigitte but all her status window stuff says rosie cuz that's what she goes by, that's not unheard of

it's impossible to prove either way so why not go with the interpretation that makes it a better decision? lol

Personally, from what I've read of the rough drafts BookofHolsety has posted, his translation is good...but, there are some things I'm going to miss from the old translation. First of all, the names, which I believe are better for the most part. But secondly, as Lantairu said, I'm going to miss some of the more casual dialogue, especially since that's actually kind of a part of Sigurd and Celice's character. I remember that after I completed the Prologue in my LP, one of the Something Awful posters said...

I'll go into more detail later, since I don't like writing long messages on my phone, bit let me just say that no FE character should ever, EVER say "what's up?".

I'll go into more detail later, since I don't like writing long messages on my phone, bit let me just say that no FE character should ever, EVER say "what's up?".

I have a feeling the what's up thing is some inside joke I don't get. Hopefully this doesn't make me sound like a noob (even if I am kind of new to the Fire Emblem series), but what does that mean?

I have a feeling the what's up thing is some inside joke I don't get. Hopefully this doesn't make me sound like a noob (even if I am kind of new to the Fire Emblem series), but what does that mean?

I think it's more the fact that, since Fire Emblem games are set in a medieval fantasy setting, casual speech would seem out of place when more rustic and flowery speech would be the norm and more in line with the setting.

That's pretty much what the new script is going for, FE4 takes itself very seriously at times, to the point of soap opera levels, so the greater emphasis on formal speech would probably help set the tone better(aside from righting the older translation's quirks, like with anything Sylvia says ever).

As for me I'm less excited at the script(which I've read about a few weeks ago and it is quite excellent) and more anxious at the lack of initiative that's been taken to commit it to a patch, which makes me very sad as a guy who loves FE5, a game way too overdue for a new patch. But I'm just being picky.

sigurd's dialogue isn't that much less casual

i mean it's definitely more serious but it's still good enough

Seliph on the other hand just sounds way too serious compared to his older dialogue

also the problem with Ced is that he's supposed to be named after the crusader sety who fused his blood with holsety and also sety will often have the holsety tome

ced removes the part about the crusader as well as the tome, unless the crusader had his name changed too, in which case it ruins the sety holsety thing

does anyone ever call him cedric in anything ever

I think it's more the fact that, since Fire Emblem games are set in a medieval fantasy setting, casual speech would seem out of place when more rustic and flowery speech would be the norm and more in line with the setting.

That's pretty much what the new script is going for, FE4 takes itself very seriously at times, to the point of soap opera levels, so the greater emphasis on formal speech would probably help set the tone better(aside from righting the older translation's quirks, like with anything Sylvia says ever).

Oh, I thought it was some inside joke. Meh, I think casual speech like that is ok in some situations. Which I know FE4 is very serious, but some times formal speech just doesn't fit. However, sometimes the casual stuff of the old translation is out of place too. I don't know why, but I always get a kick out of "Anyone who gets in my face is gettin' the Thunder Sword!" "That's the spirit Jacoban!"

it's short for cedric yo

i still think Helios is the true and proper translation tbh

That would work too, perhaps even better

Honestly just something that would be clearly a "noble" name as opposed to a... made up name

Considering such a big deal gets made about his noble name

In fact changing his name to Vergil wouldn't be so bad, someone should alert the translator

Edited by General Banzai

2: i can't think of a fire emblem character off the top of my head but there's a chick in valkyria chronicles named brigitte but all her status window stuff says rosie cuz that's what she goes by, that's not unheard of

Lyndis ---> Lyn

Anteze ---> Celica (though this one is more of a secret identity...)

Edited by L95