On Project Naga...

Lantairu

i'd really rather that people didn't do that because it's kind of a pointless and idiotic endeavour and arguably a lot more trouble than it's worth, but dds will probably release his tools once the patch is out so it's not like i'll be able to do anything about it

I wonder if you can tell these guys what they are doing is pointless.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=60728

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can explain why Belhalla is a good translation. In the original Japanese, the place's name isn't actually written as Valhalla usually is in Japanese, but it's similar enough that it's obviously a reference to it, and so in keeping with the spirit of the original, 8-4 decided not to call it Valhalla, but Belhalla, which is different, but similar enough to obviously be a reference to Valhalla.

I can explain why Belhalla is a good translation. In the original Japanese, the place's name isn't actually written as Valhalla usually is in Japanese, but it's similar enough that it's obviously a reference to it, and so in keeping with the spirit of the original, 8-4 decided not to call it Valhalla, but Belhalla, which is different, but similar enough to obviously be a reference to Valhalla.

There is Barhara already.

i'd really rather that people didn't do that because it's kind of a pointless and idiotic endeavour and arguably a lot more trouble than it's worth, but dds will probably release his tools once the patch is out so it's not like i'll be able to do anything about it

I sure hope that on release, that variable-width menu font can be offered up and possibly reused with other patches, or at least some guidelines on how to implement it, else imma be pissed (it looks too nice to pass up and would help all related projects look nicer)

Yes, but Belhalla is the official translation. See Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates.

fanslations are obviously superior to the ones that get paid for and are licensed for localization

Edited by Lamia

I sure hope that on release, that variable-width menu font can be offered up and possibly reused with other patches, or at least some guidelines on how to implement it, else imma be pissed (it looks too nice to pass up and would help all related projects look nicer)

Heh, it's actually kinda dumb the way it works. All I did was draw the tilesets that I wanted in the rom, then found the points where the game changes context to load new tilesets and made it point to my hand-drawn ones instead. For the instances where I didn't have enough room and needed to swap out tilesets more frequently, I just added hooks into when menus are opened and just queued an upload to VRAM to set the tileset.

Though my notes will also have my prototype proportional font code in it so you can see how it works. I actually use an old build of the rom to make it draw stuff on screen and then just dump the VRAM and copy/paste it into the rom. :)

...Is this another joke, like the Felgus thing?

mine was actually obvious

however it's easy to get attached to fanslation when you've known something dear to you, called a specific thing for a long time and then CED shows up to screw up your nostalgic feelings

Edited by Lamia

Map editing does not have to be a thing, only picture inserting. IIrc, someone has already created a demo where the holy blood wheel and other graphics have the names changed, and i specifically remember that person and BookOfHolsety discussing changing the world map somewhere. (There is also a map editing tool, but that's beside the point.)

Yup. Changing the world map isn't that hard. The issue is that the slightest change to the map graphics mean it doesn't compress down to the same size, so you have to expand the ROM to make room etc. etc. For some reason, the developers left a bunch of empty tiles at the end of the map tiles, so adding new graphics is as simple as replacing the empty tiles with new ones. The hard part is changing the tilemap because the game uses meta-tiles and... I should probably write some notes or something :S

Yes, but Belhalla is the official translation. See Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates.

Barhara is a very Engrishy sounding name. That would've been a horrible localization choice.

That's how it's supposed to be. Sigurd, Valhalla, Mars... are non English origin names.

Unless we see a Levin Sword in FE4, using official translation as your bible source is just so weird.

Edited by hanhnn

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://twitter.com/bookofholsety/status/731127255921885184

IT'S FINALLY FINISHED! I'm betting they'll release it tomorrow, for FE4's 20th anniversary.

Didn't he just say that the scrip is finished? If i'n reading correctly, the translater still needs to finish inserting it and bugfix it.

Didn't he just say that the scrip is finished? If i'n reading correctly, the translater still needs to finish inserting it and bugfix it.

DDS has already bugfixed(he finished bugfixing a while ago, actually), and since all bookofholsety did was proofread and edit the script, I doubt any new bugs would've come up.

DDS has already bugfixed(he finished bugfixing a while ago, actually), and since all bookofholsety did was proofread and edit the script, I doubt any new bugs would've come up.

True, but it will probbly take some time just to make sure that the ending text has been inserted correctly, and that there are no misplaced terminaters, invalid pointers, or any of the other bugs that happen when you insert text. (especialy because this is fe4, and the ending is REALLY complicated)

True, but it will probbly take some time just to make sure that the ending text has been inserted correctly, and that there are no misplaced terminaters, invalid pointers, or any of the other bugs that happen when you insert text. (especialy because this is fe4, and the ending is REALLY complicated)

They've been testing the ending text and event text for the past month or so and haven't found anything game breaking, at least. It's worth noting that the release will be a beta, so if there are any issues that pop up hopefully they'll be reported and can get fixed.

Open beta != final release

That said, this is still awesome.

I never said I thought the final release would come today. I said the patch would get released. The initial release of a patch is rarely the final version as well.

• 4 months later...