On Project Naga...

Lantairu

quality translation inbound

Yeah, I feel like I'm giving off the wrong impression here. And no, I'm not sucking up to him since I know he saw what I said, even if I do feel slightly bad for nitpicking about the names. I am actually really excited for this translation. I've been waiting for a full translation for forever, and we're finally getting one. I do stand by my arguements for the slightly too formal speech for some of the Second Generation characters, but at least it isn't all the characters. And it doesn't kill the translation either.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Ey BookOfHolsety. Just ignore the name wankers. I still enjoy the line Bramsel says about Seliph's name. I love stealth edits like that.

Way I see it, if people want the names the way they want 'em, they can insert those themselves.

Dis guy.

I don't even get why people get so up in arms over name changes. I mean, aside from maybe the fact that you'll have to remember the new name, names are names. Especially examples like Ced;, those changes are out of his hands anyway and consistency is a good thing, you know. I guess it's just me and I just find it weird.

I can get behind all of the name changes, even Fury -> Erin(because bookofholserty is right in saying Fury sounds silly as a name and Erin fits her quite well as Fury is a fairly ordinary girl). Really the only thing I will miss in the new script is Harold's "Ergh... It's ONLY the rebel army!" line from the old one. But small potatoes.

And I have my response about Fury > Erin.

Seems wierd to change just a single character's name out of nowhere, but this happens everytime in official translations.

Names are the tree hiding the forest anyway.

What's important is whether the script is good or not.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because things like that just completely take me out of the game. Look, I'm not asking for Dragon Quest I-style dialogue here, I just think the characters shouldn't be using 21st-century slang and idioms. It's jarring and unnecessary.

I want DQIV-style dialogue.

Everyone is Silesia speaking with a russian accent and Langobalt speaking with a heavy scottish accent.

And the puns. Don't forget the puns.

Edited by Tamanoir

Hi bookofholsety.

Can I use your translation and change the names with my choice? Is that okay?

From what i understand, people generally don't care if you make modifications for personal use, as long as you don't distribute them. You should still check with him though.

quality translation inbound

(note:the following paragraph assume that this was sarcasm.)

There is a difference between caring about names (which i assure you that bookofholsety does, given posts in other places), and learning to tune out the constant whining about names, and refusal to accept alternatives to a very specific pronunciation that is particular to this forum for some reason. Poeople in this forum don't seem to get that: a. a hyper literal translation is not always the best one. b. there are usualy multiple renderings of the japanese anyway. c. japan uses a different rominization system for japanese words then the rest of the world does, so a rominization by the author is often questionably relevant at best. d. Names matter a lot less then the quality of the rest of the translation anyway I once saw someone state entirely seriously that he thought that fe12 was in more need of retranslation then fe5, entierly because of names. Why the heck does our comunity care this much?

Edited by sirmola

From what i understand, people generally don't care if you make modifications for personal use, as long as you don't distribute them.

But I want to public it, so everyone can have their choice.

You can choose to play a good translation patch with wierd official localization names or play the same translation with a fan service name list.

You can choose to play a good translation patch with wierd official localization names or play the same translation with a fan service name list.

That sounds kind of disrespectful to me.

Go for it :) You can always release it as an addendum patch that users can patch over whatever this project ends up being.

How so? I mean, as long as he gives credit where credit is due...

Using someone else's script is like using someone else's mug in your hack. Even if you give credit, it is still wrong unless you recieve permission.

Another possible issue is that you are essentially saying that you can improve enough on his months of work in a few hours to make your own patch. Imagine if someone released a nightmare hack of the last promise or elibian nights and claimed it was an equivalent version.

EDIT to avoid a doublepost: bookofholsety: there exists a small but nonzero probability that I might LP fe4 at some point. If i do, can i use your translation? thanks

Edited by sirmola

I'll be looking forward to these retranslations, as being dissatisified with the previous translation work has put me off from completing the Jugdral games previously. I hope the patches come around soon.

I've been following this project for a few months and I'm really looking forward to it. The "Jeanne and Tristan are Eve's children" bit made me really excited for what other potentially interesting tidbits missed from the old translation. I'm also relived to find out Seliph had much more refined speech (even if it makes him a supposedly boring character but I always figured he was the inner turmoil type).

I have a couple personal pet peeves with the new translation, but in the end I think it's a big improvement over the old one, and certainly worth getting behind as the community standard.

I will never understand the big fuss over names. If it's not Zoosmell Fartlord then I usually don't really care.

Using someone else's script is like using someone else's mug in your hack. Even if you give credit, it is still wrong unless you recieve permission.

Another possible issue is that you are essentially saying that you can improve enough on his months of work in a few hours to make your own patch. Imagine if someone released a nightmare hack of the last promise or elibian nights and claimed it was an equivalent version.

Well then, get permission I say. Mr. Holsety seems to be around often enough :P:.

EDIT to avoid a doublepost: bookofholsety: there exists a small but nonzero probability that I might LP fe4 at some point. If i do, can i use your translation? thanks

Actually, I asked him about that about a month ago. Basically, he'd prefer people to not do that until he's actually released the patch, since a lot of what he has up is still going to be refined and tweaked further by the time the patch comes out. Therefore, he's worried about giving people the wrong impression of it's quality by having his "rough draft" translations posted for all to see. Just so you know :):.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if skill and weapon names are going to be updated to match their equivalents in localized FEs, such as Reblow -> Physic, Prayer -> Miracle, and so forth?

Edited by Anouleth

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if skill and weapon names are going to be updated to match their equivalents in localized FEs, such as Reblow -> Physic, Prayer -> Miracle, and so forth?

I'm pretty sure they already are in the current patch (Twilkitri made some superficial upgrades a couple years ago).

I'm pretty sure they already are in the current patch (Twilkitri made some superficial upgrades a couple years ago).

He also said that any name changes in the Twilkitri patches will reflect whatever localization is available for the Australian region, which probably falls back on NoE's nomenclature.

Actually, I asked him about that about a month ago. Basically, he'd prefer people to not do that until he's actually released the patch, since a lot of what he has up is still going to be refined and tweaked further by the time the patch comes out. Therefore, he's worried about giving people the wrong impression of it's quality by having his "rough draft" translations posted for all to see. Just so you know :):.

Got it don't want to give everyone an inapropriate iimpression of his work

He also said that any name changes in the Twilkitri patches will reflect whatever localization is available for the Australian region, which probably falls back on NoE's nomenclature.

Does NoE even have different localizations? All I ever see on name charts is Romaji, Fan Translation, NoJ, NoA.

Does NoE even have different localizations? All I ever see on name charts is Romaji, Fan Translation, NoJ, NoA.

Yes, and Shadow Dragon and Days of Ruin were the biggest differences so far in localization, to the point they seemed to be done separately, instead of how traditionally NoE would inherent NoA's work and localizations as the base. Some of the different regional localizations for NoE also differ in large or small ways; a priest from FE7 has a different name in the French version, for example, and in FE9 Gatrei's name is Gatorei or something like this.

Yes, and Shadow Dragon and Days of Ruin were the biggest differences so far in localization, to the point they seemed to be done separately, instead of how traditionally NoE would inherent NoA's work and localizations as the base. Some of the different regional localizations for NoE also differ in large or small ways; a priest from FE7 has a different name in the French version, for example, and in FE9 Gatrei's name is Gatorei or something like this.

Huh, interesting. I know that obviously the spelling of some of some words would be different (like armor vs. armour or ise vs. ize), but you'd think that they'd just keep the NoA translations just to save them the extra work.