Forging

Leif

So, I don't have a clue how forging works in this incarnation of Fire Emblem.

All I know is that copies of the same weapon are needed and materials.

What kinds of materials are needed for certain weapons? How can one buff his or her weapons? What stats can be altered? Can some of the weapon penalties be remedied?

Edited by Leif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I can tell from looking at all the different things said on this website, you need another copy of the same exact weapon to get it forged. For example, you need 2 iron swords for iron sword +1, you need two iron sword +1's to make a +2, and so on and so forth. This gets quite expensive or you don't have enough copies to make them higher. I've heard that some people have literally run out of money even in Hoshido to make +5's. I believe the same rules apply as Awakening where you can boost damage, hitrate, or crit for the weapon. The weapon penalties can't be remedied unless the weapon's penalty is that it is low mt or low hitrate or crit due to this reason. I'm hoping there is an option in PvP to turn off forged weapons, as that would also eliminate that worry of mine where people have +7(I've heard this was a hard limit, but I could have been misinformed) Brave Weapons in PvP.

I'm hoping there is an option in PvP to turn off forged weapons, as that would also eliminate that worry of mine where people have +7(I've heard this was a hard limit, but I could have been misinformed) Brave Weapons in PvP.

You needn't worry about that; it would take at least 10 years (yes, YEARS) to get an entire army's worth of +7 Braves.

And I ran those numbers before I knew how the Weapon DLC worked. Now that I know that pretty much every item in the game is a potential drop, and it's all random, it would take EVEN LONGER.

To forge a weapon, you need two of that weapon, and a number of gems. Each rank adds 2 MT and usually 3-5 HIT.

Getting a weapon to +1 requires two of the weapon, but you'll need two +1 weapons for a +2 (or four base weapons) and so on. So the formula for the amount of weapons you'll need is simply:

2^(weapon forge level)

So to get a weapn to +7, you'll need 128 copies of that weapon. Needless to say, you'll only ever see forge levels this high on enemies in Encounters. For example, if you wanted to buy Bronze Swords to forge to +7, you're still paying 64 000 G. Most of the time I can only manage to get a weapon to +3 (eight copies, 11 gems).

Gems are spent in fusion. Fusing two weapons costs one gem, but bulk fusing weapons costs significantly more. For example:

If you have eight Axes:

Axe × Axe = Axe+1 (1 gem)

Axe+1 × Axe+1 = Axe+2 (2 gems)

Axe+1 × Axe+1 = Axe+2 (2 gems)

Axe+2 × Axe+2 = Axe+3 (3 gems)

...so the cost is eleven gems. Alternately, you can put all eight Axes in one place and bulk fuse them, for the equivalent amount of gems:

Axe × 7(Axe) = Axe+3 (11 gems)

After +4, the game stops adding +2 Mt per rank and starts adding +1. Moreover, as I show in the attached picture, hit seems to cap at 95.

The formula for gem cost is:

(x is equal to number of weapons used)

(X/2)+2(x/4)+3(x/8)+4(x/16)...etc, unitl the a value in a(x/[2^a]) is equal to the desired weapon rank.

For example, to fuse eight weapons together to make a +3:

(8/2) + 2 (8/4) + 3 (8/8)

= 4 + 4 + 3

= 11 gems

And to fuse to +5:

(32/2) + 2 (32/4) + 3 (32/8) + 4 (32/16) + 5 (32/32)

= 16 + 16 + 12 + 8 + 5

= 57 gems

Therefore to fuse to +7 it would take:

(128/2) + 2 (128/4) + 3 (128/8) + 4 (128/16) + 5 (128/32) + 6 (128/64) + 7 (128/128)

=64 + 64 + 48 + 32 + 20 + 12 + 7

=247 gems

Now here's the real kicker: you can only hold up to 99 of each gem type at a time. That means that to forge to +7 you'd have to fuse 64 weapons, go get more gems, fuse another 64 weapons, go get more gems, and repeat. Not fun.

Gems are acquired by your Mine at your My Castle, but that means you only produce one gem type. To get more, you have to visit other My Castles or land on event tiles.

...whew! I hope this was helpful. If anyone wants more information or pictures, I'm happy to oblige!

post-16773-0-20755500-1438437104_thumb.jpg

As far as I can tell from looking at all the different things said on this website, you need another copy of the same exact weapon to get it forged. For example, you need 2 iron swords for iron sword +1, you need two iron sword +1's to make a +2, and so on and so forth. This gets quite expensive or you don't have enough copies to make them higher. I've heard that some people have literally run out of money even in Hoshido to make +5's. I believe the same rules apply as Awakening where you can boost damage, hitrate, or crit for the weapon. The weapon penalties can't be remedied unless the weapon's penalty is that it is low mt or low hitrate or crit due to this reason. I'm hoping there is an option in PvP to turn off forged weapons, as that would also eliminate that worry of mine where people have +7(I've heard this was a hard limit, but I could have been misinformed) Brave Weapons in PvP.

If they've spent near-impossible time to get an army of +7 weapons, you may as well let them win.

Except now we have DLC that makes it easy farm gold and weapons, so no different from Awakening where you had to find reeking boxes on Normal, or grind DLC on hard or higher.

Except now we have DLC that makes it easy farm gold and weapons, so no different from Awakening where you had to find reeking boxes on Normal, or grind DLC on hard or higher.

Except that from what I've read, grinding weapons is anything but easy.

^Do you have the game?

You grind gems via Arena.

+7 forged weapon add 11MT 15Crit 20Hit

Wow, I never thought Fire Emblem forging would be this complicated.

How many gems do you win in the arena?

Did you not read the formula? Over 200 gems! And the all together cost still makes for loooots of grinding. If I see anything other than a Bronze Bow +7 I'm calling hax.

That's why netflix exists (I like to have a grindy game to play while watching stuff). Though in all honesty I'd probably stop about +5 for every character

Edited by TheWerdna

Wow, I never thought Fire Emblem forging would be this complicated.

How many gems do you win in the arena?

In the Level 1 Arena, you bet one gem and get two if you win.

In the Level 2 Arena, you can choose to battle again after the first battle, which will get you four gems, but nothing if you lose.

In the Level 3 Arena, you can do a third battle where you can potentially get eight gems, but nothing if you lose.

So you can get as many as eight, if your character is stong enough. You can choose what gem type you want to bet, and you can also bet resources.

The only limitations are:

1. You cannot choose what unit to use. It is randomly decided. However, the character's highest-ranking Support will join them in battle in Attack Stance, and you can choose which of the two will be the lead unit. So you can make the Arena easier by making sure all of your units have a Support with someone very strong.

2. You can't choose when to use the arena. It can only be accessed once after every battle, usually. You can circumvent this by visting other My Castles, but you need to fight with their units.

So basically, +7 is the absolute limit for any forgeable weapon and +7 weapons give an additional +11 to might, +20 to accuracy, and +15 to critical hit rate to the base weapon? The only question I have left is which weapons exactly can be forged? I know that certain ones are likely out of the question (like the legendary weapons) but what can you forge?

I think the "you need 128 copies" is the bigger limiting factor. Even with the weapon DLC getting 128 copies of anything decent sounds like a huge pain and that's only for a single +7. Like, if I assume the weapon DLC is 5 minutes per run and the weapon you want has a 33% chance of being there that'd still be an expected 32 hours of active effort. It's likely way more effort than that for the rarer weapons or on the higher difficulties where the map might take longer. Casual mode and lower difficulties might help that, but still not by too much.

Basically, one +7 will likely take you longer than clearing any given route and that's just to clear the "have enough copies of it" requirement. Once you add in the gem farm...

edit: of course, you could also just cheat one in which is what I imagine anybody able to do so will do

Edited by lysander

So basically, +7 is the absolute limit for any forgeable weapon and +7 weapons give an additional +11 to might, +20 to accuracy, and +15 to critical hit rate to the base weapon? The only question I have left is which weapons exactly can be forged? I know that certain ones are likely out of the question (like the legendary weapons) but what can you forge?

You can't forge the S-Ranks or Prf weapons like Yato and Siegfreid. Other then that, I haven't found anything I can't forge... provided you can get more than one. Without the weapon DLC, there is no way to get, say, a +3 Bolt Axe in Hoshido.

So I can make sword slayer, reverse, shinrai and tsubakis naginata with a lot of grinding and patience weapons can be really powerful.

Well Tsubaki' Naginata is found on event tiles and in My Castle, so getting it any higher than +1 is going to be a challenge.

If someone out there legally gets Tsubaki's Naginata or Felicia' Ice Tray to +7 I'll eat my shoes.